News 2022 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched two recent videos released by the club that I found illuminating.

One was Jack Sinclair with Robert Harvey,vthe other was Ben Paton with Aussie Jones.

In both cases the current player presented like a much dumber shyer knock-kneed image to their far more relaxed and verbose senior companion. And this is Harvey and Jones, neither exactly known for their oratory skills.

Now you may say this is an age difference thing and I'd agree. I'm old enough to understand that men in their 40s and 50s are generally a lot more confident with themselves - at least outwardly - that fellas in their 20s who haven't really tasted many of the range of good and bad flavours life has to offer.

But I was still surprised how introverted our current players were, particularly Sinclair and was a reminder of how few "characters" our current team has.

Coffield, Hill, Hanneberry, Byrnes, Ryder, Howard, Long, Higgins, Battle, Highmore and Wilkie are the only guys from our current squad who I've heard talk and thought that they would naturally be outspoken enough to say boo to a goose.

In tough times like these the last thing you need is a team full of timid introverts.

From the list you mentioned the only ones I read as truly outspoken and with leadership capabilities are Wilkie Ryder and Hanners. Maybe Higgins and Howard but not sure they’re leaders. Seems we’re the shy guy club. Not sure how much of that is generational though

*I don’t know Byrnes or Highmore enough to have a perspective

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I was more referring to the fact we never get on the front foot and put a statement out before the media get a hold of it
It sounds like someone was getting stuck into them over something so they said something back then decided to leave and nothing else happened. The club isnt going to comment everytime someone in public has a go at a player.

I was more referring to the fact we never get on the front foot and put a statement out before the media get a hold of it
Can’t say I ever remember any club at any time releasing a statement prior to anything being in the media.

I would agree only if we knew the media was going to run with it. If we had no idea, I would hope we don't beat them to it.

Breaking news: St.Kilda player was seen yesterday looking angrily at the sky. Club says they will investigate as people at the scene were reported to have been visibly upset.
Sick of this unprofessionalism by the players. They are roles models to other sky gazers. My god don't they get paid enough to put on the correct facial expression when looking up? So confronting, as a woman I am offended by this and footballers need to 'be better'.

Breaking news: St.Kilda player was seen yesterday looking angrily at the sky. Club says they will investigate as people at the scene were reported to have been visibly upset.

Sick of this unprofessionalism by the players. They are roles models to other sky gazers. My god don't they get paid enough to put on the correct facial expression when looking up? So confronting, as a woman I am offended by this and footballers need to 'be better'.

According to Tom Browne on Channel 7 a very young cloud is now claiming to be pregnant.

Even if it’s not true as Paddy as tweeted in the above, get on the front foot early to dispel that stuff rather than “Ah don’t acknowledge it, nothing in it” because surely it’s been circulating around for a few days now at least.

Either way, really poor “reading of the room” of the supporter base which are frustrated for the most part.

What stuff, 3 footballers having a beer, get abused by drunk yobo's, leave the pub, and it is some type of scandal.

Oh no I might faint, I have a touch of the vapours :rolleyes:. FMD how delicate and fragile are some people?

Don't get too worked up over it. Nothing issue and McClure is a Carlton supporter. Perfect time to stir up some s**t before Friday night.

According to Tom Browne on Channel 7 a very young cloud is now claiming to be pregnant.
Oh great can't wait for the 3 weeks of 20 minute sanctimonious polemics from Whately about respecting clouds and how society won't tolerate this brutish type of behaviour. Surely the AFL needs to sanction the STKFC and said player will need a lengthy suspension and obvious councilling from Jane Bunn on respect to clouds.
To show their committment STKFC is instigating a special 'respect to clouds' round. In homage to clouds it will be a 'floating' round and only occur on a Friday night game the team has to win to make finals.

If anyone can post Nathan Buckley on SEN right at 9.00am, discussing the team, he is an extremely astute commentator, and balanced. Worth listening to.

Don't get too worked up over it. Nothing issue and McClure is a Carlton supporter. Perfect time to stir up some s**t before Friday night.

I thought maybe the opposite. Our coaches trying to prod the carcass back to life. Make it us versus the world release some nothing crap to the media. Bevo loves that stuff to get his side up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought maybe the opposite. Our coaches trying to prod the carcass back to life. Make it us versus the world release some nothing crap to the media. Bevo loves that stuff to get his side up.
Coaches creating scandals against their own players you reckon?

Insane read on it

Oh great can't wait for the 3 weeks of 20 minute sanctimonious polemics from Whately about respecting clouds and how society won't tolerate this brutish type of behaviour. Surely the AFL needs to sanction the STKFC and said player will need a lengthy suspension and obvious councilling from Jane Bunn on respect to clouds.
To show their committment STKFC is instigating a special 'respect to clouds' round. In homage to clouds it will be a 'floating' round and only occur on a Friday night game the team has to win to make finals.
They showed the victim. Seemed very upset and in tears.

Although upon reflection, she may just have been raining 🤔

Last edited:
I thought maybe the opposite. Our coaches trying to prod the carcass back to life. Make it us versus the world release .some nothing crap to the media. Bevo loves that stuff to get his side up.
If this game doesn't motivate then nothing will , media stating the team is dead and buried should bring the resurrection of the carcass.
The way the team is they could well beat Carlton .

This needs to stop.

The targeting our our players in public and the media is disgraceful and despicable.

I feel deeply ashamed of the media as all Australians should be.

The club needs to take a stand and sanction the media outlets propagating lies, alternative facts, half truths and clickbait.

Disgusting, especially a couple of the main broadsheets spreading this utter garbage.

If this game doesn't motivate then nothing will , media stating the team is dead and buried should bring the resurrection of the carcass.
The way the team is they could well beat Carlton .
Ya say that but I have never seen our body language this bad. We won’t turn it around in one week

If anyone can post Nathan Buckley on SEN right at 9.00am, discussing the team, he is an extremely astute commentator, and balanced. Worth listening to.

From the list you mentioned the only ones I read as truly outspoken and with leadership capabilities are Wilkie Ryder and Hanners. Maybe Higgins and Howard but not sure they’re leaders. Seems we’re the shy guy club. Not sure how much of that is generational though

*I don’t know Byrnes or Highmore enough to have a perspective

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Who honestly cares, besides making potentially inaccurate assertions without any actual information. Gary Ablett Junior was 'shy' Fyfe was when he was younger, Buddy has never been partcularly'loud' or a character off the field. Its so irrlevent and indivudal leadership is overated. The collective culture is far more important.

This needs to stop.

The targeting our our players in public and the media is disgraceful and despicable.

I feel deeply ashamed of the media as all Australians should be.

The club needs to take a stand and sanction the media outlets propagating lies, alternative facts, half truths and clickbait.

Disgusting, especially a couple of the main broadsheets spreading this utter garbage.

The media reaction to anything Saints is bizarre!

Saw an article on Sam Fisher yesterday and the Herald Sun felt the need to photo shop him into a newer St Kilda guernsey (in front of some weird, dingy, under a bridge background). I’m guessing to maximise the impact and connection to the club.
5746A754-DF20-482D-BA0C-1D6B75F62A70.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back