News 2022 St Kilda Media Thread

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
Veteran St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2023 10k Posts St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2022 St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Saints Pledge Contributor St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019
May 19, 2013
Could be wrong but haven't the past few years been an attempt to re-balance our list? I recall we found ourselves with a fairly 'hollow' list with a lack of core players in their mid-20s - so we traded in to fill that demographic with a bit more quality and then refocussed on the draft.
Pretty sure our President is on record as saying 2022 was when our window would open and we would be contending, it was in email he sent to all members

Sainter1873

Senior List
Jul 1, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don’t think we’re far away but my worry is that we don’t have enough quality in the 25-30 age bracket to win a flag. We have quite a few good players in that bracket but only one or two elite players. It’s not quite enough. Yes we can add JDG but we’d need a lot of luck with injuries and form to win it, which I don’t think we’ll get.

Luckily we’ve drafted two kids that will hopefully be part of some sustained success over the next decade. But realistically we need to keep doing that year after year. Just keep bringing in the young talent and squeezing every bit of value from every pick. If we can nail those first and second round picks most years, and find some value with third and fourth round and rookie picks, then we will build a talented, deep list capable of winning a flag. Top up with an FA when the right one comes along.

If done right, no club should have to rebuild their list. Instead, they just continue building. Richmond are doing that very well at the moment. The draft system gives clubs that opportunity but it comes down to talent identification and good development. Retaining good players is the other important part. But with a strong culture and success on field that part is easy.

Pretty sure our President is on record as saying 2022 was when our window would open and we would be contending, it was in email he sent to all members

I'm not talking about our window or marketing communications, I'm talking about our list situation and strategy.

Not sure we’ll be going much further back than 10th spot.
What does reset even mean? I think there’s a lot of media speak that gets thrown around that doesn’t have much real content or meaning tbh.
I agree. And I take most with a pinch of salt. But if you saw the segment which Joey did last night, showing the demographic of our list, it was pretty sobering viewing.

I would hope we draft another 4-5 x 18-year-olds this draft like we did last one.

We don't have a lot of older players but we also don't have that many really young ones our list is pretty mature without being old.

We don't need volume we need to get those that we do take to be hits not misses. At least we have our first and second round picks which is a good start.

All you have to do is look at the ladder over the past few years to see why he’d be down on us. 2020 yes we played finals but if that’s a 22 game season with the form we were in in the second half of that season we would’ve fell out. A sugar hit with the new recruits at the start of the year got us to finals. Just.

2021: 10th.

2022: likely 10th.

We’re hovering around the worst place you can be. Not good enough to win it, not bad enough to get the good picks. We were hoping our recruits would get us to finals with the young guys to push us into top 4 but it didn’t work and it’s not going to work. There’s no Petracca, Oliver, Bont to push us up the ladder.

I completely agree with Joey, it’s time for yet another reset. I was up and about after the first half of the year but second half playing the best teams and barely getting close to them has told me all I need to know. Trade anyone 26+ that gets us currency. Pick 10-12 every year is a waste of everyone’s time.

Geezus. Lenny hayes was pick 11

All you have to do is look at the ladder over the past few years to see why he’d be down on us. 2020 yes we played finals but if that’s a 22 game season with the form we were in in the second half of that season we would’ve fell out. A sugar hit with the new recruits at the start of the year got us to finals. Just.

We’re hovering around the worst place you can be. Not good enough to win it, not bad enough to get the good picks. We were hoping our recruits would get us to finals with the young guys to push us into top 4 but it didn’t work and it’s not going to work. There’s no Petracca, Oliver, Bont to push us up the ladder.

I completely agree with Joey, it’s time for yet another reset. I was up and about after the first half of the year but second half playing the best teams and barely getting close to them has told me all I need to know. Trade anyone 26+ that gets us currency. Pick 10-12 every year is a waste of everyone’s time.

I'd definitely hold one more year but don't blow any draft picks. Free agency and picks to the draft only. Or at least non player that doesn't have 10 years left and no broken down crocks that our magicians in the medical rooms can fix.

g_TRAIN

Near a spoon
Jun 15, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
We don't need volume we need to get those that we do take to be hits not misses. At least we have our first and second round picks which is a good start.

Well, ideally I want both.

We absolutely need to nail our 1st and 2nd round picks.

3rd and 4th don't matter as much but if we can get a good player there it's a bonus and we can't do that if we don't use the picks

Sainter1873

Senior List
Jul 1, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda

We don’t need another reset. We should be moving past this notion of rebuilding, especially the bottoming out part. I’d rather we incrementally improve our list every year and keep competitive so we have a chance at FAs when the perfect one is available.

Cutting the list hard and bottoming out is a dangerous path to go down. We did it once and are still trying to recover. 2012-2015 got us a few good players but we then spent 2016-2020 trying to fix the holes from the previous period.

What I do hope we see is a consistent focus on keeping our picks and bringing in young talent every year. Only trade for the right player. Build a strong and deep list that is always being added to.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
We don’t need another reset. We should be moving past this notion of rebuilding, especially the bottoming out part. I’d rather we incrementally improve our list every year and keep competitive so we have a chance at FAs when the perfect one is available.

Cutting the list hard and bottoming out is a dangerous path to go down. We did it once and are still trying to recover. 2012-2015 got us a few good players but we then spent 2016-2020 trying to fix the holes from the previous period.

What I do hope we see is a consistent focus on keeping our picks and bringing in young talent every year. Only trade for the right player. Build a strong and deep list that is always being added to.
The other thing is we weren't miles off finals this year. With the hardest draw in the comp we are going to just miss out. It may not take a huge improvement to make the finals next year if we get some better luck with our draw. Gutting the list and bottoming out again would be madness.

With a large improvement we could actually go very well next year.

The key is to keep improving.

g_TRAIN

Near a spoon
Jun 15, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
The other thing is we weren't miles off finals this year. With the hardest draw in the comp we are going to just miss out. It may not take a huge improvement to make the finals next year if we get some better luck with our draw. Gutting the list and bottoming out again would be madness.

With a large improvement we could actually go very well next year.

The key is to keep improving.

And no more bloody games in Cairns.

I swear I had the feeling it was going to cost us big time and it has.

I feel like our ability to score fell away dramatically after that game, for whatever reason

lewdogs

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
And no more bloody games in Cairns.

I swear I had the feeling it was going to cost us big time and it has.

I feel like our ability to score fell away dramatically after that game, for whatever reason
I think Bassatt pretty much confirmed we won't do Cairns next year. I'd be shocked if that game happens again.

MordySaint

Club Legend
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
And he would have been if it wasn't for the concussions.

Paddy is turning out to be a gun at Sydney too.

You're just looking for things to criticize because you're pissed off - like all of us. But this is nothing.

I'm questioning decisions and the reasoning behind results. This is what forums and discussions are for.

When I saw this post on instagram it immediately reminded me of what Richo said about Paddy McCartin.

So I thought a few other posters might have the same thoughts. That was why I shared it.

Sainter1873

Senior List
Jul 1, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think Bassatt pretty much confirmed we won't do Cairns next year. I'd be shocked if that game happens again.
I was annoyed about the Cairns game like everyone else but the reality is we need more revenue. We’ve got a $9M debt to repay and these games are worth a fair bit.

We should’ve won that Cairns game. We probably should’ve won on Friday night. Kick better and we will win them. Blaming Cairns on the loss is easy and makes a bit of sense but it’s a cop out.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
I was annoyed about the Cairns game like everyone else but the reality is we need more revenue. We’ve got a $9M debt to repay and these games are worth a fair bit.

We should’ve won that Cairns game. We probably should’ve won on Friday night. Kick better and we will win them. Blaming Cairns on the loss is easy and makes a bit of sense but it’s a cop out.
I tend to agree, but the conditions for that Cairns game were really really bad. I think Bassatt was saying we probably don't need the money anymore so it might not be worth it.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
It is more than likely it will happen next year, the club wants the money which is what Sainter1873 said.

What the club says after a loss to quell the media juggernaut bares no true indication to what actually happens.
I listened to the interview and would be very surprised if it happens again. It wasn't right after the game it was weeks later.

Back