Memberships 2022 St.Kilda Membership Thread (FINAL TALLY - 60,172)

Say this every year, but increasing membership is well and good. Increasing it by more than the Clubs around us is the key. Watch Melbournes go through the roof now.
Not entirely sure that will happen, Bulldogs a prime example.

prophetic1

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2013
b
AFL Club
St Kilda
Merch is getting odd. A picnic blanket!
i dont know, the picnic blanket works really well at those sunny afternoons at Moorabbin on the grassy area ...absolutely perfect for the AFLW games . I very much needed one at the game i was at against GEELONG. The grass was lush the sun was shining but had 100's of thrip or similar crawling on the legs. I actually did think ...should have bought the picnic blanket. I had the two kids plenty of space. It was a beautiful day....and we pantsed the CATS

no1saint66

Premium Platinum
Apr 14, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
B288452A-6747-499D-9D2E-3D9643AE577F.png

The merch vouchers have arrived.

Does anyone else's email at the bottom say their easy pay didn't go through?
Clicking on it just links to the club sponsors page
I know for a fact mine did.

They have sent this since.

"We recently sent you an email promoting our member merchandise range along with your member voucher code.

We have been notified that due to a coding error, some recipients may have had an incorrect image regarding an Easy Pay message feed through in place of sponsorship logos. If this was the case for you, please disregard the image.

We apologise for any confusion this may have caused.

Kind Regards,

St Kilda Membership Team"

Current Membership Tally (25/11/2021):

This Time Last Year (25/11/2020):

Difference:
+6,235

All-Time Tally;

1. 55,832 (2021)
2. 48,775 (2020)
3. 45,678 (2018)
4. 42,910 (2019)
5. 42,094 (2017)

Projected Final Total:

Current Membership Tally (30/11/2021):

This Time Last Year (01/12/2020):

Difference:
+5,477

All-Time Tally;

1. 55,832 (2021)
2. 48,775 (2020)
3. 45,678 (2018)
4. 42,910 (2019)
5. 42,094 (2017)

Projected Final Total:

My prediction is we could top 70,000 this year with a solid start in the first half of the season. Last October I predicted 55,000+ and we just snuck past that figure.
i would be wrapped with 65,000 but 70,000 would be HUGE

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
My prediction is we could top 70,000 this year with a solid start in the first half of the season. Last October I predicted 55,000+ and we just snuck past that figure.
i would be wrapped with 65,000 but 70,000 would be HUGE
If we can hit 65,000 plus have a big start to the season then 70,000 will be in the bank. People haven't had much chance to watch footy since 2019 and will turn up in droves if the offering is good.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm re-signed along with my wife and three kids under four (so probably won't get to many games) but I've been thinking about the surge in membership over the past couple of years.

I wonder if the (almost) successful years of 2008 to 2012 turned a few kids on the Saints with more attendance to games with family and friends and more investment in the team. If they were 8-12 at this time, they'd now be 18-22 and able to sign up themselves being more financially independent,

Could be over thinking it but the jump on the last year or so and tracking well ahead this year is against the norm for an underperforming team.

If true, then a period of sustained success would point to membership numbers well clear of the middle rung teams. I'm sure they won't release it but it would be interesting to see the demographics of the support base.

Minga

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm re-signed along with my wife and three kids under four (so probably won't get to many games) but I've been thinking about the surge in membership over the past couple of years.

I wonder if the (almost) successful years of 2008 to 2012 turned a few kids on the Saints with more attendance to games with family and friends and more investment in the team. If they were 8-12 at this time, they'd now be 18-22 and able to sign up themselves being more financially independent,

Could be over thinking it but the jump on the last year or so and tracking well ahead this year is against the norm for an underperforming team.

If true, then a period of sustained success would point to membership numbers well clear of the middle rung teams. I'm sure they won't release it but it would be interesting to see the demographics of the support base.

As someone who was 8-12 in that 2008-2012 period, I reckon your bang on.

Couple that with a great 2020 season which was inspiring, and we won a final.

Better club management, and list management. The off-seasons in themselves have been entertaining.

And all this taking place during Covid where people tended to watch footy more given they couldn’t go out.

If the last season was just a hiccup, membership should soar with sustained finals appearances after a decade of mundanity.

Last edited:

FootyMaster11

Senior List
Jul 17, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
As someone who was 8-12 in that 2008-2012 period, I reckon your bang on.

Couple that with a great 2020 season which was inspiring, and we won a final.

Better club management, and list management. The off-seasons in themselves have been entertaining.

And all this taking place during Covid where people tended to watch footy more given they couldn’t go out.

If last year was just a hiccup, membership should soar with sustained finals appearances after a decade of mundanity.

+1 to this, as someone who was also in that age range (a tiny bit younger) I can't remember too much of those times, however, I was fortunate enough to go to The Grand Final (both of the Collingwood ones) and there are two things that I will never forget, firstly, is that after BJ took the mark in the square and kicked the goal, our supporters went absolutely nuts. I remember Dad running up and down the aisle and high fiving and hugging other random saints supporters (as we were just behind the cheer squad) as at the time they thought that it was going to be enough to win it. It was absolute pandemonium, I think every saints supporter was jumping up and down and surprised security didn't have to step in with how crazy it was. The second is that I remember Dad talking to another supporter about the price of coming to the GF (as we live interstate and had to get plane tickets and accommodation) and he said that it was either get a brand new tv and speakers for the house or go to the Grand Final and have a chance to watch the saints win, and he said he would pick the grand final every day without a doubt. That is the sole reason that I will never not buy a saints membership because those memories mean so much to me.

Jack Green

All Australian
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
+1 to this, as someone who was also in that age range (a tiny bit younger) I can't remember too much of those times, however, I was fortunate enough to go to The Grand Final (both of the Collingwood ones) and there are two things that I will never forget, firstly, is that after BJ took the mark in the square and kicked the goal, our supporters went absolutely nuts. I remember Dad running up and down the aisle and high fiving and hugging other random saints supporters (as we were just behind the cheer squad) as at the time they thought that it was going to be enough to win it. It was absolute pandemonium, I think every saints supporter was jumping up and down and surprised security didn't have to step in with how crazy it was. The second is that I remember Dad talking to another supporter about the price of coming to the GF (as we live interstate and had to get plane tickets and accommodation) and he said that it was either get a brand new tv and speakers for the house or go to the Grand Final and have a chance to watch the saints win, and he said he would pick the grand final every day without a doubt. That is the sole reason that I will never not buy a saints membership because those memories mean so much to me.
Love your old man's viewpoint. :thumbsu: I'm mid 50's and been to 97, 2009, 2010x2 . I'm a born and bred Melbourne lad but I can't imagine not going to see the Saints in a grannie. Even if I moved interstate I would continue to pay MCC membership annually , so I could get a ticket if the Saints got in. It's impossible to explain that passion to people who aren't.

Feb 21, 2004
AFL Club
St Kilda
The raw memberships numbers are really nothing more than a sexy number for the Marketing Dept, hoping that a big number will give lapsed members a sense of FOMO and they'll jump back on.

To get a true indication of our improvement (or not),you'd need to drill down a level. Are fans turning 3 game memberships into 11 game and not vice versa? 11 GAME INTO 16? How are social Club memberships compared to last year this time? Are we growing at a faster rate than the Clubs immediately above us on the Membership table?

The raw memberships numbers are really nothing more than a sexy number for the Marketing Dept, hoping that a big number will give lapsed members a sense of FOMO and they'll jump back on.

To get a true indication of our improvement (or not),you'd need to drill down a level. Are fans turning 3 game memberships into 11 game and not vice versa? 11 GAME INTO 16? How are social Club memberships compared to last year this time? Are we growing at a faster rate than the Clubs immediately above us on the Membership table?
Can I ask why you feel the need to come into this thread every year and downplay the success of the clubs membership drive? I really do not understand it.

What do you think sponsors look at before committing to partner with a club? Membership revenue or membership tally? Is it still nothing more than a sexy number, or are you being deliberately disingenuous? A sense of FOMO so they jump back on? What, you think we just make up the numbers as we go? Lol.

Membership revenue has increased, sponsorship placement has been filled for the first time in club history, we've improved ~15,000 members in 5 years on the back of only 1 finals appearance. We are on track to hit 60,000 for the first time ever. And you seriously question if we've improved.

I highly doubt anyone knows the answers to the questions you're asking around membership upgrades and SC memberships. It isn't made public, and nobody here works at the club. It's like you're criticising it based on nothing.

Current Membership Tally (02/12/2021):

This Time Last Year (02/12/2020):

Difference:
+4,556

All-Time Tally;

1. 55,832 (2021)
2. 48,775 (2020)
3. 45,678 (2018)
4. 42,910 (2019)
5. 42,094 (2017)

Projected Final Total:

Can I ask why you feel the need to come into this thread every year and downplay the success of the clubs membership drive? I really do not understand it.

What do you think sponsors look at before committing to partner with a club? Membership revenue or membership tally? Is it still nothing more than a sexy number, or are you being deliberately disingenuous? A sense of FOMO so they jump back on? What, you think we just make up the numbers as we go? Lol.

Membership revenue has increased, sponsorship placement has been filled for the first time in club history, we've improved ~15,000 members in 5 years on the back of only 1 finals appearance. We are on track to hit 60,000 for the first time ever. And you seriously question if we've improved.

I highly doubt anyone knows the answers to the questions you're asking around membership upgrades and SC memberships. It isn't made public, and nobody here works at the club. It's like you're criticising it based on nothing.

I'm curious as well, all clubs do it but it should almost be based on membership revenue rather than totals.

Back