Mod. Notice 2022 SuperCoach Overall Winner - @raymagoo

Remove this Banner Ad

Article Image

KFC SuperCoach champion reveals surprise secret weapon​

A left-field last trade and a well-aimed curse helped the 2022 champion claim an emotional victory.

Apr 5, 2014
Peramangk country Adelaide Hills
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
My SuperCoach team
Do i detect a change of sentiment ?
I agree its definitely a slap in the face. Starting to feel like the win might have gone to his head :thumbsu:
Heck the first thing I'd do if I won the $50k is to kiss goodbye to you mob of boomer degenerates
Bye Bye Goodbye GIF

Heck the first thing I'd do if I won the $50k is to kiss goodbye to you mob of boomer degenerates
Bye Bye Goodbye GIF
There's no need to wait to win 50k. Happy to give you a helping hand if you so desire? ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

37f0d454e62a8b11399989a8eef82946

How do you climb all the way to the top in KFC SuperCoach? The 2022 champion reveals his winning formula and some of his 2023 selection plans. SUBSCRIBE to read his exclusive column

Me Myself and I

Club Legend
Feb 3, 2016
Singapore
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
KFC SuperCoach: 2022 champion Jean-Paul Haigh reveals his selection secrets for 2023

How do you climb all the way to the top in KFC SuperCoach? The 2022 champion reveals his winning formula and lifts the lid on his 2023 selection plans.

Jean-Paul Haigh

February 14, 2023

My KFC SuperCoach journey takes me back to 2006 when the Herald Sun first launched their game. As I line up for season 18 I love the game as much as ever – I’m officially a SuperCoach tragic.

I’m far from a traditional SuperCoach player. There is so much good advice out there but I like to watch games and look at raw stats. There is no right or wrong way to play the game, which is what makes it fantastic. Back your gut in and trust your instincts!

In 2021 my team Raymagoo ranked 36th overall mid-season before the inevitable burn men and dwindling trades killed my season off late. I’d had a couple of top 100 finishes over the journey, so knew I wasn’t too far off the pace. A few names were added to the “never again” list and I planned for 2022.

I’m an avid viewer of the under-18 comp and national championships, which always help when it comes to selecting the right rookies. Jason Horne-Francis, Nick Daicos and Jack Hayes were no-brainers in my starting 22 last year. I took a few risks with starting players, starting with the suspended Braydon Preuss on the bench plus George Hewett in a new role, Will Brodie, Stephen Coniglio, Patrick Cripps and Jarrod Witts. James Sicily came in early with Rory Laird and Clayton Oliver, and the timing of my Darcy Cameron trade in was perfect.

A couple of rules I swore by last year were selecting a bulk of robust injury-free players and a strict “no idiot” rule in my team. While my starting team wasn’t amazing, I certainly hit some good picks and got the right rookies. My winning formula was trading well, which I nailed while being aggressive. I used my final trade in round 23 with a tongue in cheek pick of Lewis Taylor (who wasn’t playing) knowing I was over the line when Max Gawn failed on the Friday night.

My most controversial trade would have been dumping Gawn in round 2 after Preuss fired on my bench, with Witts and Hayes also going well. I think I also traded Jack Crisp to Jake Bowey for a cash grab the same week.

The 2023 season will be an interesting one. “Set and forget” rucks seem a thing of the past. A Darcy Cameron hamstring scare has thrown concerns through the camp. Can Rowan Marshall stand up? How will Grawndy (Gawn and Grundy) work together? I currently have Witts and Marshall as my starting rucks but things will no doubt change.

There seems to be a lot of mid-priced madness players available if you are willing to go down that alley. I like Elliot Yeo but his injury history is terrible. Can Hunter Clark finally deliver? Jacob Hopper is locked in, but can I add Dom Sheed and Jack Bowes to the list? I’m traditionally a guns and rookies player with a few mid-pricers in there too.

I’m not going to give too much away with rookies and young players but there is plenty to like this year! I’m happy to pay up if required. Cam Mackenzie, Will Ashcroft, Josh Weddle, Reuben Ginbey are all heavy in calculations plus a sneaky floating doughnut.

Hoping I can back it up this year and go back-to-back. Bring on KFC SuperCoach 2023!

On Tonight at 7.00pm

Today we're joined by the Supercoach Rank 1 finisher JP to talk all things supercoach and how he won in 2022. We go in depth on his decisions and what he looks for when it comes to picking players. Hope you enjoy!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back