2022 tall forward line

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I am with you on this. While not a perfect player, dixon has arguably been our most important over the last few seasons. With the young quality that has developed behind him now and the addition of another tall goal kicker in finlayson, dixons role in the team is able to be expanded, and I think he would be a good second ruck, both up forward and centre square.

I just want to see Charlie's second efforts in the centre square and the poor bastard that gets in his way.

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We have

Dixon mg Marshall finlayson

And Hayes possibly as a 2nd ruck

To fit into 3 or 4 spots.

Dixon is the best backup ruck of the first 4 names if we only carry 1 true ruck into games but Marshall and finlayson can pinch hit when some teams are playing similar players as second rucks

Mg and Marshall both have the mobility and skill sets to compliment our talls and allow us to play more talls.

Finlayson is a pure tall who has less ground level game and other accompanying skills than my great grandmother, so if he plays there’s zero chance we can play a second ruck cause Hayes finlayson and Dixon are a horrific mix unless our mids are dominant and have laser skills that week.

Utter Bullshit. Both are very good for a tall. Look at his highlights from 2020 or 2019 as examples. He is not as skilled as Mg or Marshall. Not a lot are. However your assessment is totally wrong.

dirty2

F*** the southern power
Nov 6, 2016
Bar Rossa
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal
The AFL will do everything in their considerable power to get Clarkson to the Gold Coast and hope he does to them what Matthews did for the Brisbane Lions.

As a point of curiousity, we have a salary cap for the playing list, should have one for the coaching group?
Salary cap for coaches 🤔 they have something don't they... They have some sort of soft cap? When ya spend over a certain amount you have to pay a "luxury" tax?

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Utter Bullshit. Both are very good for a tall. Look at his highlights from 2020 or 2019 as examples. He is not as skilled as Mg or Marshall. Not a lot are. However your assessment is totally wrong.
So you’re calling me wrong based on highlight videos?

Finlayson is a lead and mark kf. He is far behind all of Marshall Dixon and Georgiades in terms of any ground level ability.

Finlayson is good at the few things he does well, but limited.

The AFL will do everything in their considerable power to get Clarkson to the Gold Coast and hope he does to them what Matthews did for the Brisbane Lions.

As a point of curiousity, we have a salary cap for the playing list, should have one for the coaching group?

yes and yes

I believe AFL will be better for being a national sport and will succeed as they did converting WA from a rugby state to and AFL state. Imagine not having Rioli, Polly, cable, Krakouer, Bunton, Hardy, Franklin, Fyfe, Stephen Michael as part of our great game and in 2200 we will say the same about Queensland greats

and yes off field salary caps should be absolutely smashed. our game is over coached at the detriment of the spectacle and the players mental health

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
Not a fan of the quadrangle. Only way it has a chance of working is if Marshall pushes high up the ground playing more as a HFF/wing, in which he would need to be averaging 18-20 touches a game, and I just dont see him reaching that output, nor do I see his worth in that role to be more than the plethora of players we have already filling said role.

Dixon is a walk up start. One would have to think MG is going to get a game every week - too much talent not to develop him in the seniors and probably hits 40 goals if he played all year last season.

Gets interesting from there. I would have thought Finlayson would be most likely for the 3rd KPF/2nd ruck role, but given his partner has been recently diagnosed with cancer, relying on him may be somewhat premature for the time being.

I'm intrigued with what Hayes can do as a 2nd ruck but he seems very much to be a stay at home KPF when playing as a KPF. Would mean that if Hayes were to play in that role, one of Dixon or MG would have to play higher up the ground, and that is neither's forte. It probably means Hayes will only get a game unless they rest Lycett. Lycett has played 3rd KPF/2nd ruck at WCE but that doesn't solve the aforementioned problem re having a higher KPF up the ground.

I think in that case Marshall may be the best option at this time for that 3rd KPF/2nd ruck but if all things were being equal on paper and we took out the mental side of players' lives, id have Finlayson ahead of Marshall.

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So you’re calling me wrong based on highlight videos?

Finlayson is a lead and mark kf. He is far behind all of Marshall Dixon and Georgiades in terms of any ground level ability.

Finlayson is good at the few things he does well, but limited.

I said they were examples. If you think Finlayson is far behind Dixon in terms of ground level ability and skill that is an even worse assessment. He is at least as good as Dixon at ground level and more skilled.

All of his highlight reels provide evidence that he has skills at ground level. Many of his goals are snaps from gathering/receiving the ball, often in congestion. His GWS profile says 'He is athletic and balanced, but also possesses a high degree of mobility away from goal' and every draft profile ever written about him say the same things:

"A high level athlete...offers some reasonable speed and great agility...below the knees he’s excellent with his ability to quickly pick the ball up without fumbling a highlight...In a lot of ways Finlayson plays like somebody 10 centimetres smaller."

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/2014/09/12/2014-draft-profile-jeremy-finlayson/

Presumably he hasn't lost that since 2014 only now coming into his prime.

Besides that I have seen him play.

You've presented your assessment which blows away this evidence, negates my opinion and proves he has zero ground level ability are skills based on what???

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I think that Dixon is the only 100% certain starter in our forward line. Who joins him will be very interesting.

But if we're going to see another season of lumping it on his head 30 times a game, cancel the season and sack Hinkley now. Dixon needs to 2nd ruck unless Hayes is in the side as well, and we need to find a better spread of targets. We have plenty of marking quality.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I said they were examples. If you think Finlayson is far behind Dixon in terms of ground level ability and skill that is an even worse assessment. He is at least as good as Dixon at ground level and more skilled.

All of his highlight reels provide evidence that he has skills at ground level. Many of his goals are snaps from gathering/receiving the ball, often in congestion. His GWS profile says 'He is athletic and balanced, but also possesses a high degree of mobility away from goal' and every draft profile ever written about him say the same things:

"A high level athlete...offers some reasonable speed and great agility...below the knees he’s excellent with his ability to quickly pick the ball up without fumbling a highlight...In a lot of ways Finlayson plays like somebody 10 centimetres smaller."

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/2014/09/12/2014-draft-profile-jeremy-finlayson/

Presumably he hasn't lost that since 2014 only now coming into his prime.

Besides that I have seen him play.

You've presented your assessment which blows away this evidence, negates my opinion and proves he has zero ground level ability are skills based on what???
You’re quoting a predraft profile written on him by the way.

And that gws write up you’re referring too which mentions mobility is referring to his running / movement.

I stand by my statement that we cannot play finlayson next to Sam Hayes and Dixon.

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You’re quoting a predraft profile written on him by the way.

And that gws write up you’re referring too which mentions mobility is referring to his running / movement.

I stand by my statement that we cannot play finlayson next to Sam Hayes and Dixon.

I know what mobility is and draft profile or predraft profile I don't give a s**t. All you've done is knock the evidence presented before you with providing ANY to back up your original statement.

If Finlayson and Dixon are playing I'd certainly hope we would not be playing a 2nd ruck. Hayes would be a liability in the forward line for the time he plays there compared to the genuine forwards we could play while Finlayson and Dixon are capable of giving our Lead Ruckman substantial support.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
All you've done is knock the evidence presented before you with providing ANY to back up your original statement.
A pre-draft profile written by an amateur draft watcher nearly a decade ago isn’t “evidence”.

It’s your opinion, which is fine (which it’s clear you’ve based on profiles you’ve read on him and highlight videos)

But stop trying to pretend you’ve got some ironclad “evidence” that disproves my statement.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
MG is actually probably the worst below the knees of any player in our team, it's a huge weakness for him.
Yeah we haven’t seen heaps of ball on the ground stuff from Georgiades tho he’s got the speed and smarts. I just think he’s stayed away from those types of contests a lot in the gameplan and tried to get out the back a bit. I don’t think he’s anywhere near worst in our team when the balls on the ground in the forward line. Sam Hayes would own that claim easily I would think.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There’s also different types of ground level ability from talls in the forward half..

Marshall is clean and creative with great vision but he’s not winning the ball at ground level. Quick of mind.

Dixon is a great contested ball winner when the ball hits the deck for his height but not a particularly great user with it once he does.

Georgiades has shown great play reading ability and instincts to know where to be. Some fast twitch reactions. But doesn’t seem to be involved much when the balls not in the air.

Jan 20, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We were happy to play a 4 tall forward line with ladhams last year. Removing him and putting finlayson in makes us significantly more dangerous in terms of forward craft and scoring power. Obviously less in terms of second ruck. But finlayson is a better mark, shot at goal, field kick and more mobile than ladhams. One of the 4 can play higher at any given time.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
finlayson is a better mark, shot at goal, field kick and more mobile than ladhams.

I don’t think he’s more mobile at all.
Ladhams certainly offered far more on the deck and around general play than what finlayson does.

Ladhams was a freak in that regards.

I’m all for trying 4 key forwards, but I do think the mix of kfs will be important.

I’m not sure we will know until well into the season what will work and what won’t.

Jan 20, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don’t think he’s more mobile at all.
Ladhams certainly offered far more on the deck and around general play than what finlayson does.

Ladhams was a freak in that regards.

I’m all for trying 4 key forwards, but I do think the mix of kfs will be important.

I’m not sure we will know until well into the season what will work and what won’t.
Fair enough. I liked ladhams as a forward ruck option and think he will end up being a very good ruckman around the ground, but I think finlayson is much quicker than ladhams and moves better in traffic, as well as being better overhead. To be honest I think he plays more like a tall flanker than a key forward. It will be interesting to see how it plays out early in the season.

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
A pre-draft profile written by an amateur draft watcher nearly a decade ago isn’t “evidence”.

It’s your opinion, which is fine (which it’s clear you’ve based on profiles you’ve read on him and highlight videos)

But stop trying to pretend you’ve got some ironclad “evidence” that disproves my statement.

There are other profiles saying exactly the same thing. I've also watched him play and watched his match videos on afl stats pro. I'm not going to bother presenting them all. Points been made. I've got evidence, sources, call it what you ******* well like, that totally refute your seemingly off the cuff statement that Finlayson has the ground level and skill ability of a geriatric relative which you don't back up with anything.

You are like that those politicians of little substance who make a bold statement in parliament presenting it as fact. Then when they can't back it up at all simply go on the attack at all the refuting evidence/information/sources etc that help to show its a statement made without any basis in fact at all. Probably because he threatens your beloved Marshall's position in the team, let alone the forward line. That, however, is just my opinion.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There are other profiles saying exactly the same thing. I've also watched him play and watched his match videos on afl stats pro. I'm not going to bother presenting them all. Points been made. I've got evidence, sources, call it what you ******* well like, that totally refute your seemingly off the cuff statement that Finlayson has the ground level and skill ability of a geriatric relative which you don't back up with anything.

You are like that those politicians of little substance who make a bold statement in parliament presenting it as fact. Then when they can't back it up at all simply go on the attack at all the refuting evidence/information/sources etc that help to show its a statement made without any basis in fact at all. Probably because he threatens your beloved Marshall's position in the team, let alone the forward line. That, however, is just my opinion.

Man you’ve carried a grudge against me for a while.

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Man you’ve carried a grudge against me for a while.

Don't flatter yourself. I'm just commenting on your posting style as I see it in this case. Generally, your hyper obsessive defense of all things Marshall is not exactly the forum's best kept secret.

Call a truce. Time will tell who made the better prediction. Here's hoping finlayson isn't a poor man's pete

Peace on earth and goodwill to all. May we all live to see a better preliminary final performance by Port.

Last edited:
Back