Review 2022 - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

The Boar

Premium Gold
Sep 17, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
At the business end of a frustrating year, I'm keen to hear the positives, the negatives and everything in between. We're going early as the season isn't over, but we've seen plenty to date.

In a positive light, I'll kick it off with the Good.

THE GOOD:
  • Danny Frawley Centre
  • Membership
  • Debt reduction
  • Our draftees and Academy

THE BAD, THE UGLY:
- Will leave it to you experts
(- The Forward Coaches / Coaches)

On Pixel 6a using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Good - Windhager - Owens - NWM - Sharman and King 50+ goals. 60K members
The Bad - Signing Ratts to early
The Ugly - Form after the bye and missing finals = Disaster

The Good - Windhager - Owens - NWM - Sharman and King 50+ goals. 60K members
The Bad - Signing Ratts to early
The Ugly - Form after the bye and missing finals = Disaster
Didn’t ding ding, we have a winner.

The Good - winning the last two games and making finals, Max kicking 30 in the finals series

The Bad - only winning the grand final by 99 points

The Ugly - starting the season review thread too early

The Good - Players young and old on the improve. Battle, Ross, Hayes, Dmac, King, Crouch, Wang, Windy, Chito

The Bad - Poor Hunter Clark, l genuinely feel for that kid ATM.
Signing Ratts too early. BIG BIG mistake.

The Ugly - The state of our team.

You talk about misery guts whilst potting a post and posters for being realistic.

You can call it pessimistic but the point of the post is to find the positives and areas to work on and improve. I am optimistic about the Saints but not the onfield 2023 season.

You can have your head in the clouds all you want, but we're a Bottom 4 team in terms of form and performance, there should be no chance of Finals, but there definitely is no chance of making an impact.

On Pixel 6a using BigFooty.com mobile app
When you say there should be no chance of finals, we are 11 wins with the hardest draw in the comp. That's often been enough to make the finals already. This whole we are a bottom four team thing is just more nonsense.

Now of course it's a long shot that we will make it but surely as supporters we still hold out hope? It honestly seems like some of our supporters death ride their own club sometimes just so they can be right.

This thread is basically a troll on your own club on its supporter board. But of course when it gets called out it's more "woe is me I always get criticised for me opinion" :'(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Good - Max King making the AFLPA Under 22
The Bad - Media saying Max King is a superstar already
The Ugly - Max King believing the media

When you say there should be no chance of finals, we are 11 wins with the hardest draw in the comp. That's often been enough to make the finals already. This whole we are a bottom four team thing is just more nonsense.

Now of course it's a long shot that we will make it but surely as supporters we still hold out hope? It honestly seems like some of our supporters death ride their own club sometimes just so they can be right.

This thread is basically a troll on your own club on its supporter board. But of course when it gets called out it's more "woe is me I always get criticised for me opinion" :'(
but we are currently a bottom 4 team.

We are statistically the 2nd worst performing team in the competition post bye rounds. That's a long enough sample size for most people to understand where a clubs at. The fall from top 4 mid year has been nothing short of embarrassing.

Won at least 11 games, improved percentage on last year while playing more top 8 sides than any other team in the competition. Found some good young players, Battle now has a position and the DTrain continues to impress.

You'd think we were contending for the spoon instead of the top 8 with some of the carry on happening on this board.

Still 2 game to play. Lets make them good ones.

but we are currently a bottom 4 team.

We are statistically the 2nd worst performing team in the competition post bye rounds. That's a long enough sample size for most people to understand where a clubs at. The fall from top 4 mid year has been nothing short of embarrassing.
Sorry but how can we possibly be the second worst performing team after the bye when North and West Coast have won two games for the whole season and we've won three since the bye?

Won at least 11 games, improved percentage on last year while playing more top 8 sides than any other team in the competition. Found some good young players, Battle now has a position and the DTrain continues to impress.

You'd think we were contending for the spoon instead of the top 8 with some of the carry on happening on this board.

Still 2 game to play. Lets make them good ones.

Come on man, we have had a tale of two seasons. It's like the half way mark was when we went from contenders to bottom 4. They look uncompetitive in most matches except against bottom 4 sides. It's almost worse that we were flying and now so absolutely insipid.

Heaps of players came on but we haven't progressed on last year where we couldn't field a decent experienced side. If we were a big club with that kind of performance the fans would be mounting a board spill. If 2023 starts badly we could be in a for a really big shake up where you'd think we need to move on a lot of staff including the coaching set up.

There isn't much to be happy about IMO. It looks like the coaches have been extended prematurely and we are starting 2023 on the back foot and full of uncertainty. I'd just like one promising even season that looks like we can trust the club to make good decisions and that we are on a stable path.

The good- the rise of Sinclair, the first half of the season, dmac before injuries was becoming a reliable first picked type. Wilkie just doing his job week after week. Blooding some youth.

The bad- No plan B, forward entries, the 2nd half of the season.

The ugly- paying hill and Hanners nearly 1.5mill a year.

On CPH2145 using BigFooty.com mobile app

GOOD: Those few who have overperformed - Sincs, Windy, D-mac, Wood, Crouch.

BAD: The rest have either stagnated or regressed. Not enough progress from our 22-26 group, too easy to play against too often, no sign of closing the gap on the best teams in the comp. Terrible ticketing system for members.

UGLY: The game plan. Our whole system is broken, when we bomb long to the wing, or bomb long to the hot spot, all the opposition needs to do is outnumber us at that contest and they will generally win the ball back. Ranked 15th for Inside 50's and 13th for scoring - both markedly worse than 2021.

Come on man, we have had a tale of two seasons. It's like the half way mark was when we went from contenders to bottom 4. They look uncompetitive in most matches except against bottom 4 sides. It's almost worse that we were flying and now so absolutely insipid.

Heaps of players came on but we haven't progressed on last year where we couldn't field a decent experienced side. If we were a big club with that kind of performance the fans would be mounting a board spill. If 2023 starts badly we could be in a for a really big shake up where you'd think we need to move on a lot of staff including the coaching set up.

There isn't much to be happy about IMO. It looks like the coaches have been extended prematurely and we are starting 2023 on the back foot and full of uncertainty. I'd just like one promising even season that looks like we can trust the club to make good decisions and that we are on a stable path.
We are 9th actually, not bottom 4. I don't think we were ever contenders either - maybe getting too carried away with the wins in the first half of the season has now lead to the same thing with the losses.

I think we have improved on last year - have more wins with two games to go and improved out percentage by 10%. We beaten more top 8 teams this year with two more opportunities to better that again. On 2021 standards, we would be playing finals. Unfortunately 2022 has more teams contending for spots in the 8 and we've had the toughest road out of anymore to get there. It might be small improvements, but I'd rather be moving forward than backwards.

For me, the 2nd half of the year has shown we just aren't as good as the top 6 teams. In our 4 match ups with them post bye, we were either leading or within 2 goals at half time. We didn't have that extra gear to go to in the 2nd half while those better teams did. In contrast, we seemed to never be in a lot of games against those sides last year so that is a step forward in that regard and an area we will want to be improving again this upcoming off season.

We have also seen some holes in the playing list that we need to address - the backline went from a strength to a liability once Howard got injured. The forward line structure has been a struggle all year but the drop off of Ryder in the 2nd half exposed it even more. You'd think a new voice could do wonders with that area of the ground. And we seem to be 1 mid short but that's an issue we already knew about. I also think we've struggled with players returning from injury finding their form this year - JB, Clark, Jones, Marshall took a long to time recover from a corky, Higgins post concussion, DMac taking 10 weeks to return - I'm not sure if a change in physio/S&C has impacted that but it's been a consistent theme and something worth noting.

Who knows what will happen mid-2023. We might start badly, we might start really well. Seems a bit far out to be getting worked up over it and preempting sackings. We don't even know what our full 2023 coaching staff and playing list will be. I'm not sure how we are starting next year off on the back foot with anymore uncertainty than any other club either.

We are 9th actually, not bottom 4. I don't think we were ever contenders either - maybe getting too carried away with the wins in the first half of the season has now lead to the same thing with the losses.

I think we have improved on last year - have more wins with two games to go and improved out percentage by 10%. We beaten more top 8 teams this year with two more opportunities to better that again. On 2021 standards, we would be playing finals. Unfortunately 2022 has more teams contending for spots in the 8 and we've had the toughest road out of anymore to get there. It might be small improvements, but I'd rather be moving forward than backwards.

For me, the 2nd half of the year has shown we just aren't as good as the top 6 teams. In our 4 match ups with them post bye, we were either leading or within 2 goals at half time. We didn't have that extra gear to go to in the 2nd half while those better teams did. In contrast, we seemed to never be in a lot of games against those sides last year so that is a step forward in that regard and an area we will want to be improving again this upcoming off season.

We have also seen some holes in the playing list that we need to address - the backline went from a strength to a liability once Howard got injured. The forward line structure has been a struggle all year but the drop off of Ryder in the 2nd half exposed it even more. You'd think a new voice could do wonders with that area of the ground. And we seem to be 1 mid short but that's an issue we already knew about. I also think we've struggled with players returning from injury finding their form this year - JB, Clark, Jones, Marshall took a long to time recover from a corky, Higgins post concussion, DMac taking 10 weeks to return - I'm not sure if a change in physio/S&C has impacted that but it's been a consistent theme and something worth noting.

Who knows what will happen mid-2023. We might start badly, we might start really well. Seems a bit far out to be getting worked up over it and preempting sackings. We don't even know what our full 2023 coaching staff and playing list will be. I'm not sure how we are starting next year off on the back foot with anymore uncertainty than any other club either.

We did all our work in the first half of the year though. The midfield thing is over stated. Freo play Brayshaw who is around Steele level maybe a slight upgrade, Brodie and guy who would be around Crouch level but probably a downgrade on him, Serong a guy who will be a star but currently around Ross level or below and Aish who is like a more outside type, we have Gresham. They obviously run a few rotations through as well as we do but it's enough to compete and doesn't explain the drop off.

If we get another mid it's probably depth for injury cover realistically or keep developing Windhager and Owen in there, Serong is only improving because they put time into him.

To me the structure and systems of the forward line, transition, leadership and forward entry are pivotal. Also an overall game plan that moves the ball fast and attacking is paramount. We still look dangerous when we attack. When we try to play defensive we tend to just weather a storm for a while before breaking open.

I'm not preempting anything but you have to look forward and try to plan for it. The club has to have something up it's sleeve in case of this. If not you can't really make it up as you go without making more missteps.

The good

Wilkie AA material
Sinclair AA material
Marshall sole ruck. Love Ryders work but Marshall is a shadow of himself when not full time ruck.
Crouch finding another gear. B+F winner for mine.
Owens with the body strength to test seasoned players and have an impact in scoring chains
Windy locking down seasoned players and still winning the ball
Battle the defender, who would of thought?
Ross MUCH improved

The bad

Thursday selection process. Vomit.
Favourites have a gold pass.
To much emphasis on King to carry the forwards when he's not ready.
Membrey not the reliable player he was
Higgins not defending at times
Howard and his brain

The ugly

Outside run. We are putrid. Acres would be handy. I wonder if we can draft him.

Last edited:
The good

Wilkie AA material
Sinclair AA material
Marshall sole ruck. Love Ryders work but Marshall is a shadow of himself when not full time ruck.
Crouch finding another gear. B+F winner for mine.
Owens with the body strength to test seasoned players and have an impact in scoring chains
Windy locking down seasoned players and still winning the ball
Battle the defender, who would of thought?
Ross MUCH improved

The bad

Thursday selection process. Vomit.
Favourites have a gold pass.
To much emphasis on King to carry the forwards when he's not ready.
Membrey not the reliable player he was
Higgins not defending at times
Howard and his brain

The ugly

Outside run. We are putrid. Acres would be handy. I wonder if we can draft him.

Freo would give you Acres to free up space for Jackson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back