2022 - the season that could have been...

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be nice to not keep losing key players early on in the game every second week.

During 16 games this year we have subbed out before 3/4 time: Prestia x3, Lynch x2, Balta x2, Grimes, Dusty, Lambert, other players x3. If we don't lose Prestia and Lynch in the first quarter the last 3 weeks then we are 4th.

8 of those injuries are hamstring injuries with it being recurring in Lynch and Balta. What the **** is going on there?

It all went down the toilet when...

(1) We opted for that stupid process of naming Co-Captains. You cannot have the dreams, aspirations, beliefs, excitement, anticipation, support and leadership spread across multiple Captains. It fails. It is a failure. Groups of people need to be lead by a figurehead, one person, with secondary people there in case the Captain cannot lead. We don't have 2 Prime Ministers at once. The USA doesn't have 2 Presidents at once. There aren't 2 Elon Musks, or 2 Bill Gates at once. So, if it's good enough for Co-Captains at the Club, why doesn't Richmond have two Co-Coaches at once, say, Dimma and Clarkson? Because it doesn't work. Leadership in AFL needs to be focussed, brought to a head, a figurehead needs to lead. Not 2 people doing it.

The thickheads at the Club that came up with that concept need to re-assess there thinking. Currently Richmond has Co-Captains...in essence, no leadership at all. We basically nominated nothingness and no focussed direction to lead the club out on the ground.

This year, Richmond created their own 'Jack Trengove/Jack Grimes' impotent, nothing leadership. During our Premierships we played under the banner of the 'Richmond Man' from the individual at No 22 in the Senior Side, to the Captain. Each player was individually respected as a 'Richmond Man'. This Season's Co-Captaincy farce gave us the 'Richmond Couple'...a complete breakdown of the egalitarian RFC concept of great individuals coming together in ONE Team. We know longer have one military style General leading the playing group, we now have a Mum & Dad mixed direction overseeing the game day team. Our Leadership is a beige, blah, nothingness, mess.

(2) We let the 'soft tissue' debacle spread like a disease and takeover the Club. Who's answerable to that? Players that hang around too long AND the Sports Medicine and Fitness part of the Club who cannot keep them right. And Dimma who still thinks he can band-aid together a group of injury-prone veterans, limp through the year and be healthy for a Finals tilt. Why? Because it's worked before. But now these veterans are right on the back doorstep of their careers and putting them in cotton wool isn't working. We need a complete cleanout of all our Medical Science and Fitness people. They got our veterans all wrong, or trained them wrong.

(3) The Dustin Martin time away because of his father's death. Everyone needs to grieve. But people return to their everyday workplace 10x quicker than Dusty did. Greater tough love was needed then and Martin should have returned quicker.

(4) The never-ending 'Kane Lambert' injury farce. Either send him to surgery now, or ask him to retire immediately. We cannot have a Player who is injured one week, come back and good to play as a Medical Sub the next week, only to play a half, and be out the next week! WT? Can't the Club see that this is ridiculous to anybody outside the club? We can't be a Nursing Home in a Home & Away Season to the perpetually injured. What? Is Lambert going to sit out the rest of the season and then play a blinder in the Grand Final if we make it? No! I'm insulted the way the Club has built up our expectations on the return of Kane Lambert every week. Ask him to play this week and the rest of the year, and if he says he can't, ask him to announce his retirement asap. He was a great player years ago, but now he's a waste of mental space for the playing group and supporters. The Club needs to be honest to itself and its supporters asap.

(5) The sick Richmond joke that rubbish players will become good one day. Aarts, Ross & Collier-Dawkins should all be told immediately to look elsewhere next year. None of them are reliable in flowing pieces of play where they have to think, create and produce. All look alright when handed the ball. None have any awareness in traffic. None have any football brains. Downhill skier Ross can get the pill when the team is doing well but then he's just doing what is easy anyway. Ross is weak in the middle, falls over a lot that leads to opposition clearances which hurts us. Aarts, Ross & Collier-Dawkins are good 2's Players, yet they bring nothing of any longer term week-to-week value to the Senior Sides. Trade or delist that lot before Season 2023.

(6) It's evident now that Dimma really is soft on onfield discipline. Even last night, Shorty's stupid infringement of slapping the ball away from an opposition player on the mark that lead to a 50m free, that helped the Gold Coast victory should have been an instant dragging off the field. We are at such a low level of discipline at the Club that Shorty now needs to be made an example of. Short needs to be dropped to the 2s so the entire Club next week will see on the Team Sheet.... OUT: Short (discipline)....a new lesson for all the Club. Act professionally as a professional footballer at the elite level or get dropped. Simple.
The lazy free kicks against are still costing us, as they have every year since Dimmas tenure. 3 Flags yes, but we were so far in front and luckily one dumb, lazy infringement couldn't hurt us. They hurt us now we are a weaker team. Next time it could be in a Final. Dimma needs to lay down the Law now. The time of hugging the players and supporting them at all costs needs to be over.

(7) The times we have gone to sleep in the last quarter or half can only be two things.
(A) The players are switching off, or (B) Our Fitness is not up to scratch.
If we have mental issues of switching off late in games, it's Dimma's fault.
If we cannot run out games, it's Dimma's fault.
The buck stops with Dimma. He's either identified these issue, or not.
He needs to fix this issue, asap.

2022 has been a shitestorm of many flawed ingredients. They need addressing immediately and in the end of year Review.
Mathew Inness was a huge loss.

(1) We opted for that stupid process of naming Co-Captains. You cannot have the dreams, aspirations, beliefs, excitement, anticipation, support and leadership spread across multiple Captains. It fails. It is a failure. Groups of people need to be lead by a figurehead, one person, with secondary people there in case the Captain cannot lead. We don't have 2 Prime Ministers at once. The USA doesn't have 2 Presidents at once. There aren't 2 Elon Musks, or 2 Bill Gates at once. So, if it's good enough for Co-Captains at the Club, why doesn't Richmond have two Co-Coaches at once, say, Dimma and Clarkson? Because it doesn't work. Leadership in AFL needs to be focussed, brought to a head, a figurehead needs to lead. Not 2 people doing it.

The thickheads at the Club that came up with that concept need to re-assess there thinking. Currently Richmond has Co-Captains...in essence, no leadership at all. We basically nominated nothingness and no focussed direction to lead the club out on the ground.

This year, Richmond created their own 'Jack Trengove/Jack Grimes' impotent, nothing leadership. During our Premierships we played under the banner of the 'Richmond Man' from the individual at No 22 in the Senior Side, to the Captain. Each player was individually respected as a 'Richmond Man'. This Season's Co-Captaincy farce gave us the 'Richmond Couple'...a complete breakdown of the egalitarian RFC concept of great individuals coming together in ONE Team. We know longer have one military style General leading the playing group, we now have a Mum & Dad mixed direction overseeing the game day team. Our Leadership is a beige, blah, nothingness, mess.

(2) We let the 'soft tissue' debacle spread like a disease and takeover the Club. Who's answerable to that? Players that hang around too long AND the Sports Medicine and Fitness part of the Club who cannot keep them right. And Dimma who still thinks he can band-aid together a group of injury-prone veterans, limp through the year and be healthy for a Finals tilt. Why? Because it's worked before. But now these veterans are right on the back doorstep of their careers and putting them in cotton wool isn't working. We need a complete cleanout of all our Medical Science and Fitness people. They got our veterans all wrong, or trained them wrong.

(3) The Dustin Martin time away because of his father's death. Everyone needs to grieve. But people return to their everyday workplace 10x quicker than Dusty did. Greater tough love was needed then and Martin should have returned quicker.

(4) The never-ending 'Kane Lambert' injury farce. Either send him to surgery now, or ask him to retire immediately. We cannot have a Player who is injured one week, come back and good to play as a Medical Sub the next week, only to play a half, and be out the next week! WT? Can't the Club see that this is ridiculous to anybody outside the club? We can't be a Nursing Home in a Home & Away Season to the perpetually injured. What? Is Lambert going to sit out the rest of the season and then play a blinder in the Grand Final if we make it? No! I'm insulted the way the Club has built up our expectations on the return of Kane Lambert every week. Ask him to play this week and the rest of the year, and if he says he can't, ask him to announce his retirement asap. He was a great player years ago, but now he's a waste of mental space for the playing group and supporters. The Club needs to be honest to itself and its supporters asap.

(5) The sick Richmond joke that rubbish players will become good one day. Aarts, Ross & Collier-Dawkins should all be told immediately to look elsewhere next year. None of them are reliable in flowing pieces of play where they have to think, create and produce. All look alright when handed the ball. None have any awareness in traffic. None have any football brains. Downhill skier Ross can get the pill when the team is doing well but then he's just doing what is easy anyway. Ross is weak in the middle, falls over a lot that leads to opposition clearances which hurts us. Aarts, Ross & Collier-Dawkins are good 2's Players, yet they bring nothing of any longer term week-to-week value to the Senior Sides. Trade or delist that lot before Season 2023.

(6) It's evident now that Dimma really is soft on onfield discipline. Even last night, Shorty's stupid infringement of slapping the ball away from an opposition player on the mark that lead to a 50m free, that helped the Gold Coast victory should have been an instant dragging off the field. We are at such a low level of discipline at the Club that Shorty now needs to be made an example of. Short needs to be dropped to the 2s so the entire Club next week will see on the Team Sheet.... OUT: Short (discipline)....a new lesson for all the Club. Act professionally as a professional footballer at the elite level or get dropped. Simple.
The lazy free kicks against are still costing us, as they have every year since Dimmas tenure. 3 Flags yes, but we were so far in front and luckily one dumb, lazy infringement couldn't hurt us. They hurt us now we are a weaker team. Next time it could be in a Final. Dimma needs to lay down the Law now. The time of hugging the players and supporting them at all costs needs to be over.

(7) The times we have gone to sleep in the last quarter or half can only be two things.

2022 has been a shitestorm of many flawed ingredients. They need addressing immediately and in the end of year Review.
Yep, the 50 m penalties. Thing is I'm not a professional footballer but I see these things happening before they happen. Oppo free kick and I'm like "don't tap the ball away" and someone taps the ball away. Standing the mark and I'm like "don't move another inch" and someone takes an entire step. Richmond clearing defence and someone decides to push/clip/hold an opponent... RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE F**KING UMPIRE... free kick in front of goal for our opponents.

These are simple rules FFS.

Yes its extremely disappointing and probably cost us a genuine shot at flag #4 given the evenness of the top 8 and our relative aura come finals.

It's either fitness, mental strength, or tactics, or a combination of all 3. Either way it's hugely disappointing and it's a wasted season. 2022 was our last crack. If we didn't win it this year we sure as hell aren't winning it next year with a lot of the key players +1 year older.

This is where your wrong I think.

2022 is not our last crack.

We have a better chance in 2023 I think because the youngsters will be better

This is where your wrong I think.

2022 is not our last crack.

We have a better chance in 2023 I think because the youngsters will be better
The youngsters aren't remotely close to the decline from the older stars.

The youngsters aren't remotely close to the decline from the older stars.

Explain.

The youngsters will be much improved next year.

I think it is more about injuries than decline for some

I think your selling the situation short.

I think we can rebound next year and a few years after

Miller is getting better, as is the likes of Dow. I can see light next year and beyond

Explain.

Miller is getting better, as is the likes of Dow. I can see light next year and beyond
Agree with this one, the biggest thing for me in terms of being competitive and getting that top 4 finish is depth, our depth has been chipped away to the point our best depth players aren’t very good like aarts and Castagna or just still first year players

Another pre season from the likes of Sonsie, Clarke, Brown changes that equation, they will be legitimately putting pressure on best 22 players and we have competition for spots again

Those older kids like Dow and Ross will either become best 22 or stronger depth options

Every club has injury’s but the difference will be we will have better options to plug those holes when they come

I've got us finishing 9th and the Saints making the 8. (No im not being a smart arse either)

Cant see us winning games against Fremantle (home) Brisbane (home) & Port Adelaide (away) If we can somehow pull off 1 win in those 3 games then we could make it.

However, not on the weekends form add our injuries into it too.

I've got us finishing 9th and the Saints making the 8. (No im not being a smart arse either)

Cant see us winning games against Fremantle (home) Brisbane (home) & Port Adelaide (away) If we can somehow pull off 1 win in those 3 games then we could make it.

Think we are 40/60 in the Freo and Port game but jagging a win isn’t out of the question due to the home game factor against Freo and the fact we seem to match up well against Port over the past few years

Brisbane is very winnable don’t think they have won any games at the G this year and hopefully the footy gods give us a break and we look closer to best 22 in terms of injury’s

Think we are 40/60 in the Freo and Port game but jagging a win isn’t out of the question due to the home game factor against Freo and the fact we seem to match up well against Port over the past few years

Brisbane is very winnable don’t think they have won any games at the G this year and hopefully the footy gods give us a break and we look closer to best 22 in terms of injury’s

Brisbane is our best bet, I think Freo is more 30/70, they are playing great footy and seem to be able to win anywhere atm.

Glass half full > We are obviously good enough to win against pretty much anyone, if we can simply keep it up for 4 quarters.

Glass half empty > We obviously have some major issues with fitness/mental toughness/gameplan/coaching that we keep losing from winning positions. Other teams know this and will just keep coming knowing we can fall apart.

To me this isn't disaster, but it is cause for concern. From here we can still win the whole thing - because it's obvious we have the ability to do so. But we are unlikely to because we seem to be fragile over a whole game.

If we can get the whole team fit and in form then watch out.

But, if anything is off we are not in the hunt.

Interesting times.

Timing our run to perfection and keping the players cherry ripe for the finals when every other club will be burnt out.

Dan26 will probably put us as worst flag ever but he can lick my scrote.

Explain.

It's pretty simple really when you take a realistic view.

Players reach a certain point/age in their career, where their best football is behind them, and they start to decline in form incrementally, and become more prone to injury. We have too many players in that camp, that were largely the core of us being the best team in the comp between 2017-2020. This year they had one last hurrah, but if we don't win it this year, that's it for this group.

A number of these guys below won't be on the list next year potentially, of the ones that are, they are all of the stage in career where +1 preseason and year is not a good thing to their form prospects or injury management. We've already seen it with a number of them already.

Grimes (age next year: 32 midseason)
Prestia (30 end of this year)
Martin (32 mid next season)
Tarrant (34 start of next season)
Riewoldt (34 end of this season)
Edwards (34 end of this season)
Cotchin (33 start of next season)
Lynch (30 end of this season)
Lambert (31 end of this season)

Then there'd also be the potential for others not far behind in Broad, Pickett, Macintosh, etc.

To think that guys like Dow, Miller, Ross, Stack, RCD, Ralphsmith, Rioli Jr, etc. etc. will improve enough in one year to match the drop off from literally some of our all time greatest players in club history is just not realistic. They are not really any better than other clubs youth, and arguably other clubs have better upside. I would love it to be true that we can crack on again, but it's not. This is the year, if it's not this year, it ain't for a little while.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's pretty simple really when you take a realistic view.

Players reach a certain point/age in their career, where their best football is behind them, and they start to decline in form incrementally, and become more prone to injury. We have too many players in that camp, that were largely the core of us being the best team in the comp between 2017-2020. This year they had one last hurrah, but if we don't win it this year, that's it for this group.

A number of these guys below won't be on the list next year potentially, of the ones that are, they are all of the stage in career where +1 preseason and year is not a good thing to their form prospects or injury management. We've already seen it with a number of them already.

Grimes (age next year: 32 midseason)
Prestia (30 end of this year)
Martin (32 mid next season)
Tarrant (34 start of next season)
Riewoldt (34 end of this season)
Edwards (34 end of this season)
Cotchin (33 start of next season)
Lynch (30 end of this season)
Lambert (31 end of this season)

Then there'd also be the potential for others not far behind in Broad, Pickett, Macintosh, etc.

To think that guys like Dow, Miller, Ross, Stack, RCD, Ralphsmith, Rioli Jr, etc. etc. will improve enough in one year to match the drop off from literally some of our all time greatest players in club history is just not realistic. They are not really any better than other clubs youth, and arguably other clubs have better upside. I would love it to be true that we can crack on again, but it's not. This is the year, if it's not this year, it ain't for a little while.

Lol, I think your way off.

The improvement in Gibcus let alone Ralphsmith will be greater. The improvement in Brown, Clarke, Banks and Sonsie will be greater. Rioli Jnr will be better. Thats not including Dow and others and some of these guys might actually break out into the upside. A guy like Cumberland has upside to, he can clearly improve his polish and learnings. Even a guy like RCD can improve if we tweak a few things to help him be more competitive. Stack has proven he can play better to and has done so in the past. Look at Ralphsmith and Rioli jnr that are just starting to get comfortable at the level. We do not even know Gibcus's best role at the moment and he still has to fill out a little apart from huge development upside

There might be a marginal drop off with Tarrant, JR and Cotch but not necessarily. Lambert will probably retire. Lambert for example has not done much this year.

All things being equal we should be stronger next year and the years ahead

I think your putting the cart way before the horse. What you are talking about is really 2025-26 or later and even then it might not be as broad as you infer.

You have to factor in the opposition to. Geelong are older, they should be dropping off beforehand. Melbourne could be weaker as they have risen to the summit and get nibbled at. Which are the teams that look like a tsunami of talent is bursting out in the years ahead? Look pretty even. I looked at the back end of the Richmond Gold Coast match. We did some stuff ups but Gold Coast played some good footy to at times

Last edited:
Unless we get a player that can get the ball 25 times a game in the middle we wont get any better
clear as day clearances and center square clearances is the area we need to improve and stop giving opposition 1st use

Desperately need a player like Cripps,Neal,Steele,Oliver,Libba to give us a decent chance

Nothing wrong with the weekends form IMO, one big name player down in the first quarter yet we were still playing quite well, then yet again went home at half time, commitment is more of an issue than form.

Back to one Captain for mine, leadership has been a little lacking in our times of need.

We're better than Carlton, St.Kilda, Sydney, & Collingwood. We just pushed Geelong to the limit and in all seriousness probably should have beaten them.
If we make finals we're as good a sniff as any if we get 90% of our list back and play just a decent brand. The other sides are just as likely to fall over as well. Geelong looking the most consistent and I ******* pray we play them in a final - we could use the bye!

We're better than Carlton, St.Kilda, Sydney, & Collingwood. We just pushed Geelong to the limit and in all seriousness probably should have beaten them.
If we make finals we're as good a sniff as any if we get 90% of our list back and play just a decent brand. The other sides are just as likely to fall over as well. Geelong looking the most consistent and I ******* pray we play them in a final - we could use the bye!
With a full list we are a chance in any given game had of we made it to the top 4, but we blew our chance to finish top 4, and what are the chances we have a full list in September? We haven't had our best 22 on the park since 2020. It's been 18 months of key players in replacing key players out every week or two.

If we can get the whole team fit and in form then watch out.
This. I'm staying with glass half full.

Prior to last week I felt there were 3 premiership chances: Melbourne, Geelong and Richmond.

Reflecting in the cold light of day, I haven't changed my mind other than we are going to have to take the hard road.

The only thing we blew on the weekend was any chance of a top 4 finish.

There were signs of our brilliant best on the weekend. The swift movement of the ball by hand and run cut a swathe through the opposition.

Surprisingly Nank may not be too bad, neither Soldo. Put Dusty, Lynch, Vlastuin, Cotchin, Lambert and Balta back in that team. Hope like hell they stay fit and in form and there is no reason why we can't get to the prelims. From there anything is possible.

Our depth is not there this year, but our best 22 is good enough.

Welcome Back. Love your work spot on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back