2022 Tour de France

Remove this Banner Ad

As the world of cycling looks forward to the 2022 Tour de France, the powerful scenes from the previous edition are still fresh in the mind. In the first week, viewers were treated to a no-holds-barred contest from riders who have made their mark on cycling’s current era thanks to their aggressive racing style. Riders such as Julian Alaphilippe, Mathieu van der Poel and Wout van Aert set the tone and inspire the rest of the peloton to follow their example with their victorious escapades. There will be plenty of opportunities for them and the rest to go on the attack throughout the Tour, starting with the Danish stages, where the masters of echelons will be right in their element in the 18 km crossing of the Baltic Sea, coming after a time trial for power riders in Copenhagen, the world capital of cycling, and before the sprint stage that will cap the Scandinavian adventure in Sønderborg.

The peloton will return to French soil in the Nord department. Next up, an exhausting ride to Calais, a serving of Roubaix cobblestones, a launch pad for punchers in Longwy and the first clash between the crown pretenders at La Planche des Belles Filles, this time in its "Super" version. Unless the weather turns the race into a war of attrition, the 2022 Tour offers mountain goats a prestigious path to the overall title. The Alps will start with a summit finish on the col du Granon, 2,413 metres above sea level, on the same road that Bernard Hinault wore the yellow jersey for the last time in his career back in 1986, followed by a carbon copy of the stage from Briançon to the Alpe d'Huez, won by the Frenchman after crossing the finish line hand in hand with Greg LeMond. On the way to the Pyrenees, the Saint-Étienne and Carcassone stages have "sprint finish" written all over them, unlike the one to Mende. At this point, the bell will call the leaders back into their mountain rings. Tadej Pogačar could soar on the ascent to Peyragudes after the Col d'Aspin and the Hourquette d'Ancizan have softened up the legs of the contenders. Regardless of whether he is in yellow by this point, the reigning champion will have to tame his rivals on the road to Hautacam, which will offer no respite with the climbs up the Aubisque and the Col de Spandelles, making its debut in the race. The final time trial will also enter uncharted waters with its finish on the Rocamadour promontory. It will be time to see where everyone stands… 24 hours later, it’ll be time to celebrate the winner on the Champs-Élysées. A new adventure will then begin with the women in the spotlight.

The cobbled stage finishes in Arenberg, but once again they refuse to take the riders through the famous Trench du Arenberg. They did the same thing last time.
I'm pretty sure the Colombians (except maybe Uran?) would die if they went through there.

It's a weird course. Only one weekend mountain stage? Fewer mountain stages to hilly? Same amount of flat stages? A flat stage 19 too. Don't like it at all

I'm pretty sure the Colombians (except maybe Uran?) would die if they went through there.

It's a weird course. Only one weekend mountain stage? Fewer mountain stages to hilly? Same amount of flat stages? A flat stage 19 too. Don't like it at all

I'd have more faith in Bernal than Roglic in the Arenberg.

Does Bernal race here is the question mark. I don't think it's a certainty with this course yet. The cobbles and the stage 11 altitude are in the pro's column but a 40k flattish ITT is a bridge too far against the Slovenians. The Alpe stage is a bit weird, the early ascent of Galibier and being Bastille day puts it firmly in the breakaway stage. Very hard to see Pog getting beaten here.

Does Bernal race here is the question mark. I don't think it's a certainty with this course yet. The cobbles and the stage 11 altitude are in the pro's column but a 40k flattish ITT is a bridge too far against the Slovenians. The Alpe stage is a bit weird, the early ascent of Galibier and being Bastille day puts it firmly in the breakaway stage. Very hard to see Pog getting beaten here.

Who else from Ineos will lead the team?

Who else from Ineos will lead the team?

It comes down to the Giro route but their options are all a bit one dimensional. Bernal is probably their best option but if the team wants to win a GT he may have to race the Giro again. It's hard to see where he gets the 2+ mins he will lose in the TT but Yates and Carapaz are probably in the same boat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It comes down to the Giro route but their options are all a bit one dimensional. Bernal is probably their best option but if the team wants to win a GT he may have to race the Giro again. It's hard to see where he gets the 2+ mins he will lose in the TT but Yates and Carapaz are probably in the same boat.
I think they have to take Yates as the leader in the Giro. They won't find a better suited GT for him ever and his form to finish the year was streets ahead of Carapaz and Bernal.

Also if BikeExchange are smart they go with Yates at the Giro again

I think they have to take Yates as the leader in the Giro. They won't find a better suited GT for him ever and his form to finish the year was streets ahead of Carapaz and Bernal.

If Bike Exchange are smart they get S.Yates to ride each GT as a stage hunter - I'd back him in to get a stage win in each GT - He is a definite chance to podium the GIRO, although a win is unlikely - 3 GT stage wins is better than a podium. You need to factor in that in the last two years BEX has off-loaded many of the climbers in A.Yates, Haig, Nieve, Zeits and Chaves, so Yates will have limited support.

Both Yates would have to be thinking Giro over TDF but quite a few others with weak TT's will be thinking the same.

Both Yates would have to be thinking Giro over TDF but quite a few others with weak TT's will be thinking the same.
JV likely go with Vingegaard and Bora probably use Hindley. Will be interesting to see who BV go with.

A.Yates will probably have to again focus on the Vuelta, as Carapaz will be the leader at the Giro.

Two weeks away. Can anyone beat Pogacar? Roglic the best chance for me. O'Connor and Haig should be thereabouts for a top 5 from an Aussie perspective, with Yates, Martinez, Vingegaard, Vlasov, Mas and Mader also decent chances of a top 5. Pinot and Martin really the only top 10 chances from France, with Caruso, Uran and Chaves seemingly in good form as well for a top 10 berth.

Sprint finishes probably between Jakobsen, Groenewegen, Kristoff, Bol, Philipsen, Bennett, Ewan and Pederson, lead outs will be important though. Jakobsen has 9 wins this year, Groenewegen 5, Kristoff 3, Bol none, Philipsen 4, Bennett 4, Ewan 5 and Pederson 6. So should have some good sprint finishes.

MvdP obviously the best of the tweeners but still expect Cort, WVA, Sagan and Bling to challenge him in that way

I will be watching Jakobsen with interest in stage five of the Tour of Belgium - I have questions about how well he is travelling - Tonight will tell more.

The outbreak of COVID in the peleton makes is advisable for the TDF to allow teams to select ten rider teams - This means you can replace a rider until the day of stage one because of a COVID positive - You dont want teams to be starting with less than eight riders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back