2022 Tour de France

Remove this Banner Ad

Smart move. Nobody is catching the Slovenians.
Let's hope he builds a big enough lead early to make sure Pogacar doesn't catch him like the last 2 years

Lotto-Soudal announce new sprint lineup behind Ewan:

And Froome is back as well:

Lotto-Soudal announce new sprint lineup behind Ewan:

And Froome is back as well:

Lotto panicking. If this train doesn't work they'll be lucky to avoid relegation

Janse van Rensburg has gone from racing on Zwift to the Tour dr France in the space of 2 months. This is ridiculous. I don't know if the squeeze is being put on Ewan to find a new team as Lotto's 20 year old sprinter is looking pretty impressive, but this isn't the squad you'd expect to support the world's fastest rider. I think we will be seeing some messy sprint stages. Jakobsen is in average form, Ewan same, Groenewegan has looked fast when he gets a good position but it's not often, Bennett has been horrible, Alpecin have multiple options but Philipsen I rate highly and has been good all year. Could see WVA winning genuine sprint stages if they let him race his own race.

Janse van Rensburg has gone from racing on Zwift to the Tour dr France in the space of 2 months. This is ridiculous. I don't know if the squeeze is being put on Ewan to find a new team as Lotto's 20 year old sprinter is looking pretty impressive, but this isn't the squad you'd expect to support the world's fastest rider. I think we will be seeing some messy sprint stages. Jakobsen is in average form, Ewan same, Groenewegan has looked fast when he gets a good position but it's not often, Bennett has been horrible, Alpecin have multiple options but Philipsen I rate highly and has been good all year. Could see WVA winning genuine sprint stages if they let him race his own race.
In fairness to Janse van Rensburg he has basically been on a WT team since 2013 and was on Zwift purely because of Qhuebeka folding in Febuary. It's not a Jay Vine story.

I think Lotto have basically imploded. Like, some of their selections over this year have been baffling. They've basically changed Ewan's lead out train every start and haven't allowed any continuity. The more I think about it, the more I feel like Caleb needs to leave there because they're making a meal of things everywhere and it feels like the sheer quality of the rider is winning rather than the tactics or a decent lead out train.

As far as the sprints go, Quickstep and Alpecin have too much quality there for it to be too messy (even as much as I love a messy sprint stage). Anything come up about Philipsen's contract for next year? If the rumours about Groves heading there I wouldn't be surprised to see if he told them he was going and them finding a new sprinter,

Ewan did not get his choice of team because he's failed to win a stage at his last two GT's and also his preferred sprint train are unable to win stages at the TDF.

My ranking of the sprinters is Jakobsen, Groenewegen, Ewan and Philipsen.

In fairness to Janse van Rensburg he has basically been on a WT team since 2013 and was on Zwift purely because of Qhuebeka folding in Febuary. It's not a Jay Vine story.

I think Lotto have basically imploded. Like, some of their selections over this year have been baffling. They've basically changed Ewan's lead out train every start and haven't allowed any continuity. The more I think about it, the more I feel like Caleb needs to leave there because they're making a meal of things everywhere and it feels like the sheer quality of the rider is winning rather than the tactics or a decent lead out train.

As far as the sprints go, Quickstep and Alpecin have too much quality there for it to be too messy (even as much as I love a messy sprint stage). Anything come up about Philipsen's contract for next year? If the rumours about Groves heading there I wouldn't be surprised to see if he told them he was going and them finding a new sprinter,

Philipsen renewed his contract for another two years - The only benefit for Groves moving to Alpecin is that he will ride more one day races, instead of stage races.

The rumor is that Mezgec and Groenewegen don't have the best working relationship - Mezgec could be on the move, so I guess Ewan will try for the fiftieth time to get Mezgec to join him - In saying that, Mezgec has been rumoured to leave BEX in the past but has ended up staying.

DSM have changed from Cees Bol to Alberto Dainese for the sprints now. Teams should start dropping more and more now with most of the European National Championships happening this week.

Isn't that how its always been? (I say as someone who rarely watches the start of stages)
Yeah, just posted because it's relevant

BEX team for the TDF is

Matthews
Groenewegen
Bauer
Mezgec
Durbridge
Janssen
Schultz
Juul-Jensen

It's a fairly uninspiring team - Have no idea how Janssen got a start, seeing he's been woeful for two years, while Bauer is also lucky - In saying that, I expect three stage wins.

I don't mind the team. Schultz will obviously have license to fly in the mountains, they've set up the flat stages for Groenewegen and the uphill sprints for Matthews.

Have strong contests in all kinds of finishes, despite the weird and poor parcourse it should be a good Tour none-the-less.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cav doing his best to troll LeFev. I think it was the Giro when Cav and Greipel were both on Highroad and both won stages.
Jakobsen had to go. Been the best sprinter this year and Cav had a poor Giro without Morkov.

No Ala is disappointing but you have Asgreen to mix it up with Matthews, MvdP, WVA etc for the more uphill sprints

Better it come out now than in the second week. Not many people (apart from the diehards like us) pay attention now, and by and large we accept that pretty much everyone except for sprinters do s**t.

Predictions time. GC, KOTM, Points, youf (second behind Tadej, cos we know if he doesn't crash he has it locked), and a smokie for top 10. For me:

Tadej Pogâcar
Thibaut Pinot
Fabio Jakobsen
Michael Storer
Alexey Lutsenco (watch him finish outside the top 30 or abandon).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back