List Mgmt. 2022 Trade and Free Agency Thread

On the quiet

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm Dom Fay....or could be Dom Ambrogio...I forget. ;) I'm Dom anyways. :cool:
I doubt anyone officially aligned with the club would post on a social media site. Regardless, there must be a substantial gap between what the Lions have offered and what Gardiner (or is mgt) thought he was worth. I believe Gardiner is testing his value on the market, but his form has not been great and with Andrews, Adams, Starc, his role is taking the 3rd or 4th opposition forward so what that is worth pa at the Lions probably $400K? What is he worth to say a weaker team eg North maybe $500K per season, who knows!

LIONS08

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
56092D93-8E92-476D-A853-5B306E5BE0A0.png

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

This does not put it to bed at all. If anything, this reads to me like he is leaving.

If he was close to signing, he would just do it wouldn’t he? It’s $100k they are jostling over - just ink it pre-finals and get on with life.

This has all the hallmarks of a statement coming out 2-3 days after the GF declaring he wants to continue his football elsewhere.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ralphy seems to think there's a few steps left in the contract. Something about TIN Tax.

Yeah I accepted that as the most likely out come last night, I thought it was all but out to bed. But now with this statement from him - I’m more leaning toward he is looking at leaving.

Why put yourself and club through distracting speculation during a finals series, over a 1 or 2 year extension at 35 years of age, if leaving is not a serious consideration.

Says to me he at least wants to explore conversations elsewhere over the next 6 weeks.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Sam Edmund on SEN today said that there is "some real interest out there for Lions free agent Darcy Gardiner".

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Sam Edmund on SEN today said that there is "some real interest out there for Lions free agent Darcy Gardiner".

Darcy Gardiner (restricted free agent)
“Darcy Gardiner is another player that remains unsigned at Brisbane that we haven’t spoken about a lot and there’s some real interest in him as a free agent, so that will be interesting.”

I might be on my Pat Malone here but I would be very comfortable if Gardiner was to be picked up elsewhere.

It's a shame we would get nothing for him but IMO he has been very average lately. Looks very sluggish.

I think he's been a valuable player but would be fine with him moving on if he wanted and Payne taking his spot going forward. Since he's a RFA I'm sure we could manufacturer a trade that gives us some Fletchcroft points or something mid table next year.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Yep, I think we can cover our older players if they retire/fall down the pecking order in 2023, our 30+ year olds are Daniel Rich, Dayne Zorko, Mitch Robinson, Jarryd Lyons and Ryan Lester turns 30 later this month.

Mitch and Froggy are already not best 22, Richy, Zorks and Lyons have all been well down on form this season anyway... whether we would miss their leadership around the club and on field is up for debate.

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I might be on my Pat Malone here but I would be very comfortable if Gardiner was to be picked up elsewhere.

It's a shame we would get nothing for him but IMO he has been very average lately. Looks very sluggish.
It might be a slight readjustment of our contracts. He and McStay are two of our mature bodies so it is an odd one to possibly lose both. Not great losses if they do go but positional list wise it does leave us a little bit light on. Maybe we have a couple of players or one that we are confident to bring in. It will be an interesting off season in regards to our ins and outs which also might have a flow on effect how we play. Couple of players such as Robbo, Zorko and Rich off our list in the next few years. These 5 players named are all best 22 over the last year or two so it will definitely be a different looking Lions in 23 and especially in 24. These types of list decisions make me feel that Ambrogio and Conole are pulling some levers in the background.

Nah he’s no good that’s why I said I think we should draft him

Was thinking that today. Arnold is showing some nice traits in the VFL. If we could rookie list him and get him in a full time professional system I reckon he could be AFL level KPD depth.

Back