List Mgmt. 2022 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

For those who say McKenna is an immediate replacement for Wilmot I’m not sure are really grasping how good Wilmot is. Kid came into finals for a club under the pump and played beautifully. His trajectory is huge

Are people really saying that? Suggesting McKenna is an immediate replacement for a 2nd year player would be odd, that’s what you would say about someone needing to be immediately replaced, like a retiring or aging player.

McKenna and wilmot are not mutually exclusive, I don’t think McKenna is a trade off for him.

Remember the wing role is still up for grabs and McKenna actually wants to play forward half.

I wonder how the AFL will view that, in light of the new rule they brought in this year, about collusion. It's already been discussed on the draft board. Bid at pick 4.

"The direct and explicit questions for each party have been added to the process making a trade official, with each meeting recorded by the AFL."

So it goes like this:

AFL: "Did you collude"

Club A: "Nope"

Club B: "Nope"

AFL: " OK well that's our oversight completed"

;)

"The direct and explicit questions for each party have been added to the process making a trade official, with each meeting recorded by the AFL."

So it goes like this:

AFL: "Did you collude"

Club A: "Nope"

Club B: "Nope"

AFL: " OK well that's our oversight completed"

;)

Dependant on whether your postcode starts with a 3.

The blokes don’t minded driving out that way to play golf on their off days.
They actually do and a lot of the players/coach's/admin team who are golfers no longer go play at Brookwater and have joined an alternate club in Brisbane. (even when Brookwater membership for them is free)

They actually do and a lot of the players/coach's/admin team who are golfers no longer go play at Brookwater and have joined an alternate club in Brisbane. (even when Brookwater membership for them is free)

Frankly they can harden up and deal with the small sacrifice of a longer commute for incredible facilities.

Last edited:
Frankly they can harden up and deal with the small sacrifice of a longer commute for incredible facilities.
haha. easy for you to say when its not you making the "small sacrifice". Some say it's "incredible" when asked in the media, others say ...Meh.... when not being quoted. Time will tell once they get into their pre-season proper.
I for one (just my opinion) think moving out there is a big mistake no matter how incredible the facility is or is not, and for a number of reasons. I realize that's not a popular opinion with many supporters but it's my opinion to voice on BF.

Most of them play at Brisbane Golf Club, which is in Tennyson. Though a few do play at Pacific, which is on the other side of town at Carindale

haha. easy for you to say when its not you making the "small sacrifice". Some say it's "incredible" when asked in the media, others say ...Meh.... when not being quoted. Time will tell once they get into their pre-season proper.
I for one (just my opinion) think moving out there is a big mistake no matter how incredible the facility is or is not, and for a number of reasons. I realize that's not a popular opinion with many supporters but it's my opinion to voice on BF.

That's the thing though, so many commute similar distances to what they're being asked to do a few days a week. They are paid very well to play footy and ultimately they are not above a commute that is considered fairly standard in other cities.

I just think if players genuinely sulk about it (not saying they are) then they need to take a hard look in the mirror and realise how lucky they are if driving in extra 10-15 minutes is their biggest issue.

haha. easy for you to say when its not you making the "small sacrifice".
I’m sorry, but how ****ing out of touch are you with the average working person!

My work is in Greenslopes. Just in my department, we have people who commute from the Coast, Ipswich, Caboolture, Redcliffe, Redland Bay, etc.

Sure, some of these people choose to live and commute.

But most live where they do, because they can’t afford to live closer to work, or lived where they do when they got their current job.

I’m sorry, but how ****ing out of touch are you with the average working person!

My work is in Greenslopes. Just in my department, we have people who commute from the Coast, Ipswich, Caboolture, Redcliffe, Redland Bay, etc.

But most live where they do, because they can’t afford to live closer to work, or lived where they do when they got their current job.
Hey Big Boy....slow down a little.

Is an average working person someone who dropped out of school at 16 years old, got an apprenticeship with a company that was a 2 hour drive each way & was paid $60.00 a week? Out of touch, no mate, calm the *ing way down yourself please. I grew up in a family environment that was pretty good and reflecting back on it, very very appreciative of my parents who worked their selve's to exhaustion every day. That said, my old man had a gambling addition & pissed away millions which left my Mum homeless with 4 young kids. Out of touch you say, well sorry to offend you hard working Greenslopes department man but please, dont go accusing me of being out of touch without knowing Jack * about my life and how i have lived it so far.

Just to be clear, I wasn't specifically talking about players. I think most players, coach's and admin people at The Lions also lived where they do when they got their current job.
Its got ****all to do with being out of touch. For most, (including Chris) they have had a 10-15 minute commute for the time they have been at the club. Now its different and its not just another 15 minutes like some state or believe....in some cases, it can be well over 30 minutes and sometimes longer depending on traffic.
Sorry, but sorry, out of touch, not in my lifetime Big Boy.

Last edited:

Is an average working person someone who dropped out of school at 16 years old, got an apprenticeship with a company that was a 2 hour drive each way & was paid $60.00 a week? Out of touch, no mate, calm the *ing way down yourself please. I grew up in a family environment that was pretty good and reflecting back on it, very very appreciative of my parents who worked their selve's to exhaustion every day. That said, my old man had a gambling addition & pissed away millions which left my Mum homeless with 4 young kids. Out of touch you say, well sorry to offend you hard working Greenslopes department man but please, dont go accusing me of being out of touch without knowing Jack * about my life and how i have lived it so far.

Just to be clear, I wasn't specifically talking about players. I think most players, coach's and admin people at The Lions also lived where they do when they got their current job.
Its got ****all to do with being out of touch. For most, (including Chris) they have had a 10-15 minute commute for the time they have been at the club. Now its different and its not just another 15 minutes like some state or believe....in some cases, it can be well over 30 minutes and sometimes longer depending on traffic.

Admin, membership, ground staff and others may find it more difficult then getting to the Gabba
On the other hand The Gabba work trip require either public transport or paid parking. I assume staff parking at new digs is free
Workers either go where the work is or find another job. Selling your house if you have one is expensive, so people commute

Plus everything is in one place for players, so no car commute to other locations

A quick google maps search indicated the below travel times (from around 10.50am) from various Brisbane suburbs
I assume almost all players have a car.
Does not look like a hardship to me MightyLions.

Plus everything in the new digs is in one place so no car commute to other locations

In summary:-
Players & Senior Coach should be happy, if not life is to easy for them
Lower paid people should not be put out to much. However if things are worse off you just look for other opportunities
The positives far outweight the negatives be it players, staff or fans

Good luck getting funding from governments now (except Vic) with debt levals the way they are

Suburb LocationFastest Travel Time in MinutesSuburb LocationFastest Travel TimeIn Minutes
Everton Park Woolies38Moggill Coles32
Balmoral Cinema37Beenleigh McDonalds29
Coorparoo Woolies30The Gap Gap High School30
Carindale Pacific Golf Club30Kangaroo Point Story Bridge Hotel28
Manley Hotel40Kenmore Woolies20
Brisbane Domestic Airport34Indooroopilly Rail Station22

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely they aren't that sooky. It'd be embarrassing to say I left the lions cause the 30 minute drive didn't work for me.

Camp Hill to Springfield is 30-35 minutes. Most people who work in the city have longer a commute.

I work a company who moved to a nicer office in a less convenient location adding a significantly longer commute for most.

There wasn't a noticeable attrition and most were appreciative of the nicer workplace.

I don't think we'll lose anyone we wouldn't have lost anywhere and can't see how the impact is anything but positive for the club

Are people really saying that? Suggesting McKenna is an immediate replacement for a 2nd year player would be odd, that’s what you would say about someone needing to be immediately replaced, like a retiring or aging player.

McKenna and wilmot are not mutually exclusive, I don’t think McKenna is a trade off for him.

Remember the wing role is still up for grabs and McKenna actually wants to play forward half.
If Brisbane can get McKenna for nothing, then get him. Whether he walks into the team immediately is open for debate. His speed could be valuable either back, mid or forward. His highlights reel is impressive, but there are a lot of tricks Wilmot has already shown in his few games. I remember at this time last year, it was mentioned that if Wilmot decided to delay nominations for the 2021 draft because he only made it by one day, and nominated for 2022 instead, he would be contending for the number one draft pick. Having Wilmot, and then Ashcroft, and Fletcher coming in, with Dunkley and Gunston, looks very promising for 2023.

A woman who works with my daughter commutes from GC to Bris every day, two hours there and two back. A drive to Springfield isn't a huge deal

A woman who works with my daughter commutes from GC to Bris every day, two hours there and two back. A drive to Springfield isn't a huge deal
Had a bloke at my work at Acacia Ridge who made the trip to and from Murwillumbah every day.

It sounds like you missed the point of my post.

Most people commute every day. For many, it’s more than half an hour one way.

Many people work in industries where they get moved around, some without a choice.

Personally, at my previous employer I was transferred from Belmont to Forest Lake to Mt Gravatt to Wynnum to Springwood to Camp Hill. Everyone at my level were transferred every 18 months to 24 months.

Businesses grow and move, and make economic decisions that impact their employees. The vast majority of people embrace it or suck it up.

You have been vocal in the past supporting the players dissatisfaction about the move.

Time for them to make peace with the move.

There were no better solutions. None that made financial sense. None that received government support and funding.

And with the arrival of the Olympics, we were always going to have to find an alternative home training and administrative centre.

At least we won’t be based out of demountable offices, shipping containers and port-a-loo’s, like Suns were for many years.

Had a bloke at my work at Acacia Ridge who made the trip to and from Murwillumbah every day.
My wife did Gatton to Murwillumbah several days a week while locuming as a pharmacist down there.

Good pay (at the time), but she wasn't too upset when she felt she should quit because the owner was selling cases of Sudafed out of the loading dock.

My wife did Gatton to Murwillumbah several days a week while locuming as a pharmacist down there.

Good pay (at the time), but she wasn't too upset when she felt she should quit because the owner was selling cases of Sudafed out of the loading dock.
Lot of blocked noses Murwillumbah way.

Surely they aren't that sooky. It'd be embarrassing to say I left the lions cause the 30 minute drive didn't work for me.

Camp Hill to Springfield is 30-35 minutes. Most people who work in the city have longer a commute.
I think initially there will probably be some angst as the drive will most certainly be around 30 to 35 minutes for some of the players. Add in the couple of degrees extra heat out at Springfield and the fact it is preseason, just my opinion, but would not surprise if some training sessions involving high running loads are still held at Yeronga etc

If you were one of our better performing fringe players eg Dev, Prior, Payne, Lohmann etc and still not getting regular games in 2023, then lack of opportunities and perhaps the driving out to Springfield 5 days a week in preseason might just be the catalyst to leave.

Yeah nah. I'd imagine most clubs had 30-45 minute or so commute for players each way. Didn't the Hawks move out to some shitheap in the middle of nowhere?

Now when you talking about commutes I'd almost feel sorry for Perth based clubs that have to commute every second week to the east coast! * that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back