List Mgmt. 2022 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think anyone has seriously suggested we don't play Dan . We need him now and need him to play well.

But it's naive to think all the talk and whatever's happening doesn't affect him or those who are playing with him.

They're coached and indoctrinated with a team first and togetherness ethic so mentally it's eroding at that , even though it's a reality for all players.
No, someone has seriously suggested this. Wants Fort in instead.

I don't think anyone has seriously suggested we don't play Dan . We need him now and need him to play well.

But it's naive to think all the talk and whatever's happening doesn't affect him or those who are playing with him.

They're coached and indoctrinated with a team first and togetherness ethic so mentally it's eroding at that , even though it's a reality for all players.
Robbo on AFL360 asks every year if the AFL is mature enough to handle what happens in the NRL, where players sign with a new club mid season, while seeing out their current contract.

This happens world wide, in many sports. Clubs know they’re losing a first team player to another team at seasons end.

Robbo on AFL360 asks every year if the AFL is mature enough to handle what happens in the NRL, where players sign with a new club mid season, while seeing out their current contract.

This happens world wide, in many sports. Clubs know they’re losing a first team player to another team at seasons end.
Exactly. The NRL analogy amuses me every time when I watch AFL fans lose their s**t. NRL players can sign for a new club 18 months out. It's actually a bit over the top the other way, because a lot of those players get released to join their new club early. But there's a lot more understanding of "it's a business" there, and let's not even touch on football leagues or US sports or most other leagues. The AFL is very unusual and parochial in its handling of player movement.

Oh man, run that past Pike, absolutely. He hated that he was paid massive unders compared to his teammates, but knew he wouldn't get a gig anywhere else after burning his bridges.
I will simplify it for you.
All players during that period played for what they could get elsewhere.
For some loyalty, others to play in a successful team.
If McStay does leave, and if it’s money related, well that is disappointing, and doesn’t exactly demonstrate a very loyal bloke, if he left for 3.5 v 3.0m.

Despite your comments on Pike, played in 4 flags and loved the club and his teammates, and the first one to back Lynch following GF loss.

Players have a limited window to make their money - no issue with them doing what is best for them financially. The story of the loyal player who stays for unders is lovely, but leaving for better $ doesn't make them a bad person.
or you keep back loading your contract so your club can draft players.
Then the coach says no one likes you we thought you where going as your wife moved interstate.

Always find it interesting players have to be loyal where clubs treat them like cattle at a auction yard.

Exactly. The NRL analogy amuses me every time when I watch AFL fans lose their s**t. NRL players can sign for a new club 18 months out. It's actually a bit over the top the other way, because a lot of those players get released to join their new club early. But there's a lot more understanding of "it's a business" there, and let's not even touch on football leagues or US sports or most other leagues. The AFL is very unusual and parochial in its handling of player movement.
You build branding via your players and coaches if they have a high enough public profile .

I think the AFL is a far more parochial playground for supporters but I don't think that's a bad thing.

Not everything that changes and morphs into something else is necessarily better.

Most call it progress.

I will simplify it for you.
All players during that period played for what they could get elsewhere.
For some loyalty, others to play in a successful team.
If McStay does leave, and if it’s money related, well that is disappointing, and doesn’t exactly demonstrate a very loyal bloke, if he left for 3.5 v 3.0m.

Despite your comments on Pike, played in 4 flags and loved the club and his teammates, and the first one to back Lynch following GF loss.

Let me simplify it for you. The guy is a professional footballer. He will cease being a professional footballer in his early 30’s. He’s had 10-12 years earning potential. Early 30’s is about the time most professionals start to make inroads to a decent career and decent salary. They then have 25-30 years earning potential over the remainder of their career. Dan doesn’t have that. An extra $500k before tax, $300k after take over the last 5 years of his career is very valuable in this context.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Let me simplify it for you. The guy is a professional footballer. He will cease being a professional footballer in his early 30’s. He’s had 10-12 years earning potential. Early 30’s is about the time most professionals start to make inroads to a decent career and decent salary. They then have 25-30 years earning potential over the remainder of their career. Dan doesn’t have that. An extra $500k before tax, $300k after take over the last 5 years of his career is very valuable in this context.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I'm not knocking any of that but someone who's been set up like many professional athletes are so early in life have every opportunity to really build it into something substantial . They have the rest of their life in front of them and to think it all stops or can't be enhanced upon because they can't play sport any more is narrow thinking.

Most people have to adapt to career changes, sackings, economic downturns , innumerable circumstances. The narrative put out there that they only have a few years to make money is fine . But anyone in business will tell you the same thing , the pitfalls, the missteps , the missed opportunities , the hard times that followed the good times.

The business contacts that professional sportsmen make during their careers are what most people would only dream of.

This is a massive reason my 2 daughters and 2 Sons don’t wear Numbers on they’re jumpers someone asked my 14 year old daughter why she’s didn’t have a number on her jumper on Thursday night at the G she basically said that players leave too often to actually care about the players number
I’m about to name my little boy Hugh…. Am I setting myself up for disappointment in the future….

I’m about to name my little boy Hugh…. Am I setting myself up for disappointment in the future….

Go for Eric. Hippy will never leave us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not knocking any of that but someone who's been set up like many professional athletes are so early in life have every opportunity to really build it into something substantial . They have the rest of their life in front of them and to think it all stops or can't be enhanced upon because they can't play sport any more is narrow thinking.

Most people have to adapt to career changes, sackings, economic downturns , innumerable circumstances. The narrative put out there that they only have a few years to make money is fine . But anyone in business will tell you the same thing , the pitfalls, the missteps , the missed opportunities , the hard times that followed the good times.

The business contacts that professional sportsmen make during their careers are what most people would only dream of.
He’ll make far more business contacts at Collingwood, than he will at Brisbane, unless he wants to go work for Brighton Homes.

He’ll make far more business contacts at Collingwood, than he will at Brisbane, unless he wants to go work for Brighton Homes.

So will his partner. You can understand why some move to the big clubs.

I want players to stay.

I also don't begrudge them leaving if they want a half million dollar pay rise. I know I'd jump at it, and I don't consider myself a hypocrite.

I don't view those positions as fundamentally conflicted.
So what does it make you think of the players that turned that sort of money down to stay at the club and win flags or to be loyal to their club like John Brown and any one of the many players during our premiership years who did make the sacrifice for the greater good. Imagine where the club would have been had they all had the Dan McStay me first attitude , couldnt care less about the greater good of what the players thought we are all in this together, but no I want more money for no other reason that I can compared to all those players particulalry in the premiership era that had showed more than Dan ever has. Not sure I'd be selecting of wanting to run around with a guy that is out the door or Im relying on to have my back.

So what does it make you think of the players that turned that sort of money down to stay at the club and win flags or to be loyal to their club like John Brown and any one of the many players during our premiership years who did make the sacrifice for the greater good. Imagine where the club would have been had they all had the Dan McStay me first attitude , couldnt care less about the greater good of what the players thought we are all in this together, but no I want more money for no other reason that I can compared to all those players particulalry in the premiership era that had showed more than Dan ever has. Not sure I'd be selecting of wanting to run around with a guy that is out the door or Im relying on to have my back.
Geebus.

I want more money, and will walk from my current employer if the new job offers similar hours.

There’s very little loyalty in football, when you’re no longer able to put in a shift.

Hope you’re campaigning for the club to retain Ely Smith and Mitch Robinson beyond this year.

MRobbo especially. How often has he bled for this club?

Geebus.

I want more money, and will walk from my current employer if the new job offers similar hours.

There’s very little loyalty in football, when you’re no longer able to put in a shift.

Hope you’re campaigning for the club to retain Ely Smith and Mitch Robinson beyond this year.

MRobbo especially. How often has he bled for this club?
Answer me this - should every Lion, HAwk or Tigers players that won 3+ GF have left their club when offered more money particulallry when they were builidng to what theyve become? Sure they may not have known what was to come but listen to every single player talk about how much more $ they made in the longer term by not ditching there club all for immediate $$'?

As to your question - if your not getting a game and no club is chasing you, no i dont especially when they are not an intricate part of a team that has the chance of the ultimate glory with your mates that youve toiled with thru the bad times. What I find funny is that people talk as if players will never work again or cant make a lot of money post career in any number of fields. Im seriously glad club legend John Brown chose loyalty over extra $$'s in the short term - we heard him speak at Noosa number of years ago and even he says that he would have more success if he joined Pies when they came knocking but hes more prouder of being a one club player.

Johno should talk to Dan - life isnt always about money and its sad that so many of you think thats the case - its not like Dan will become destitute any time soon.

Answer me this - should every Lion, HAwk or Tigers players that won 3+ GF have left their club when offered more money particulallry when they were builidng to what theyve become? Sure they may not have known what was to come but listen to every single player talk about how much more $ they made in the longer term by not ditching there club all for immediate $$'?

As to your question - if your not getting a game and no club is chasing you, no i dont especially when they are not an intricate part of a team that has the chance of the ultimate glory with your mates that youve toiled with thru the bad times. What I find funny is that people talk as if players will never work again or cant make a lot of money post career in any number of fields. Im seriously glad club legend John Brown chose loyalty over extra $$'s in the short term - we heard him speak at Noosa number of years ago and even he says that he would have more success if he joined Pies when they came knocking but hes more prouder of being a one club player.

Johno should talk to Dan - life isnt always about money and its sad that so many of you think thats the case - its not like Dan will become destitute any time soon.
What if Dan believes we’re not likely to make a GF during the remainder of his career?

Or he believes this year is our last, best chance, and that he’s out after this year?

I’m not saying his choice is right or wrong, I am saying it’s his choice and he shouldn’t be crucified for it.

Players get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars they're gonna be alright don't feel sorry for them.
Really? Is that limited amount of $ for the time they are playing at the highest level justify a "dont feel sorry for them" comment? Dan's AFL career is done at 32 years old. (if he's lucky) Once that is done, he starts over. Not all footballers are head smart enough to be able to earn above average money once footy is done & dusted so a lot of them go back to average wages just like the average population in Australia do....but, they start their working life all over again at 32. This crazed thinking that footballers are set for life one they reach the highest level is bizarre.

Thats just where you are missing the point. Him thinking of leaving isnt just about $. He comes from Melbourne, his family are all in Melbourne. The offer is an offer that will basically see his career finish in Melbourne. Money is important but I can assure you most would put the thought of a premiership in front of $ along with job security, good culture & family.
There is more than just $ for Dan to think about when looking at his options. You (& some others) claiming this is only about $ is your opinion & definitely not what Dan is weighing up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back