List Mgmt. 2022 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Sproj

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Latest article on AFL.com suggests Dusty wants out of Melbourne and to a non-fishbowl existence...should we make the enquiry?

Pick 18 will be traded out for a heap of later picks, 2nds and 3rds.
That will only work if we have the draft picks available by delistings or trades.
Latest article on AFL.com suggests Dusty wants out of Melbourne and to a non-fishbowl existence...should we make the enquiry?
We wouldn’t have any where near enough room in the cap.
My understanding is that he is on something like 1.2-1.4 mil.

That will only work if we have the draft picks available by delistings or trades.

We wouldn’t have any where near enough room in the cap.
My understanding is that he is on something like 1.2-1.4 mil.

The new Buddy.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Not sure he really suits our needs. Brayshaw might be better
Yep, would definitely prefer 27 year old free agent Angus Brayshaw who plays a role of definite need ie. elite 2 way running balanced mid than Dusty who will be turning 32 years of age mid next season.

No way I could see either happening anyway so a moot point.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Which is an interesting point for people to remember - we need to have open list spots corresponding to the number of live picks we want to count towards Ashcroft and Fletcher.

Some of that may be by delisting and re-listing players, but that's always a risk (cf: Greenwood, Hugh) and we've already been pretty aggressive in doing so with marginal guys already.
I believe we can match Ashcroft with 4 picks (if we have the right picks/points).

We would still have 3 late draft picks after matching, and could trade pick/s back in for future pick/s, depending where the bid comes for Fletcher.

LIONS08

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I believe we can match Ashcroft with 4 picks (if we have the right picks/points).

We would still have 3 late draft picks after matching, and could trade pick/s back in for future pick/s, depending where the bid comes for Fletcher.
Not sure if this was cleared up elsewhere but can’t you only take as many picks to the draft as list spots available? There would have to be a fair few delisting for this to occur

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yep, when you think about it if a team bid on Ashcroft at 1 and we matched the player they took at number 2 would probably be a bit miffed knowing he was 2nd choice and could have been the number 1 selection and also picked up the IIRC 10K he would have got from NAB for that honour.
Maybe. I'd imagine Riley Thilthorpe didn't care too much since he got to play for his favourite team and didn't have to move interstate. That might be worth more to him than $10k.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Not sure if this was cleared up elsewhere but can’t you only take as many picks to the draft as list spots available? There would have to be a fair few delisting for this to occur
That is correct.

I can easily see 4 or 5 senior list spots being available, if we’re not trading any one in.

Yep, that's my point too.

That's why we might see a full cleanout of uncontracted guys, which at a minimum would look like:
  • Ely Smith
  • Ryan Lester (maybe to the rookie list)
  • Connor McFadyen
  • Mitch Robinson
  • Tom Fullarton
  • One or more of Blake Coleman/Henry Smith
And possible losses, if offered elsewhere, of some of:
  • Thomas Berry
  • Deven Robertson
  • Jaxon Prior

This chat, and the photos of the indigenous players with there three babies this week, and the other boys with babies a year old make me think these father son/ daughter issues will repeat themselves many times.

Mitch got in young with his babies so Chance and Charlie will have had a pretty clear run at it. And zorks bit of a bit older. Who else has kids two and over? Rich? Anyone got a list handy?

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You'd hope so. But word is that Neale is very much about Neale. It's all a business to him. Nothing wrong with that.
He is. I don't mind. He's complete professional and doesn't get overly emotionally invested like many do. Unlike most others who are all about themselves he's a total team player who always does the team thing. He's a rare best who can totally commit without punishing himself over it if it doesn't work out.

The results are plain to see and we're lucky to have him

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I know it’s been the rule for a couple of years but I don’t get why you can only take the number of picks that you have spaces. What does it matter? If you don’t use those picks, everyone moves up. It all comes out in the wash.
Because the northern academy clubs were trading their high picks for multiple low picks to match bids, and some clubs whinged, because they didn’t get in on the trades and benefit from moving up the draft.

Back