List Mgmt. 2022 Trade, Draft, etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're at the halfway point of the season and we're heading into a draft with no decent draft picks as we traded our future first out last year. So we either 1) don't trade for a 1st round pick, 2) Trade our future 1st for a current first rounder or 3) If Jackson leaves (which I doubt) we'll have 2 first rounders. Regardless, this is how I see our list needs, in order. Assuming Jackson stays:

1. Key Forward: This sort of goes without saying. Ben Brown and Tom McDonald are cooked and don't offer any defensive pressure. Both are nearing the ends of their careers. Weideman hasn't taken a game by the scruff of the next since 2018 and JVR is simply a prospect at this stage. No hybrids. A genuine 200cm forward.

2. Key Back: Life after Steven May. We have shown how reliant we are on him and rightly so, he is the best FB in the game. But we've also seen how we don't want to be stuck with Tomlinson as his replacement. Petty and Lever are good long term defenders and Joel Smith is good depth but other than that we really have very few options in the key defender position.

3. Small Lockdown defender: At this stage we only have 1 really good defender that can play on smalls and that is Hibberd. This could be his last season. Bowey is much improved in this area but I'd prefer Bowey and Salem to be more offensively minded. The competition and the speed of the game has increased the value of small forwards and most good teams have 1 or 2. Some 3. Fremantle have 3 elite small forwards (Frederick, Switkowski and Schultz), Brisbane have Bailey, Cameron and McCarthy.

4. Speedy midfielder/forward: The guys with elite speed on our list are Hunt, Oscar Baker, Joel Smith, Bedford, Pickett and Langdon. Pickett and Langdon are the only Best 22 players there. Bedford is fringe. We need more line breakers, more guys that put the opposition under pressure. Bailey Laurie is coming on but he's not quick.

5. Ruck: Life after Gawn. Life after Jackson (if he leaves now or in a few years). We can afford to go a development ruck here as I think Gawn has many more years left in him.

6. General forward: Too much reliance on Fritsch. He's the only guy who has elite goal sense and hits the scoreboard frequently. This is where the Gunston trade talks were interesting as he is an example of what we need.

With no current picks to work with it's up to Jason Taylor and his team to orchestrate ways of improving the team, whether it be trade or through nailing 2nd round picks at the draft where the odds are stacked against us.

In JT I trust was just going back through our previous drafts. Our first 2 picks 2017 pick 29 C. Spago, pick 31 B. Fritch. Our first 2 picks 2018 pick 27 T. Sparrow, pick 33 J. Jordon. Our first 3 picks 2019 pick 3 L. Jackson, pick 12 K. Pickett, pick 32 T. Rivers. Our first pick 2020 pick 21 J. Bowey. All now premierships players magnificent drafting. And Laurie and JVR look promising as was Howes before injury apparently.

We're at the halfway point of the season and we're heading into a draft with no decent draft picks as we traded our future first out last year. So we either 1) don't trade for a 1st round pick, 2) Trade our future 1st for a current first rounder or 3) If Jackson leaves (which I doubt) we'll have 2 first rounders. Regardless, this is how I see our list needs, in order. Assuming Jackson stays:

1. Key Forward: This sort of goes without saying. Ben Brown and Tom McDonald are cooked and don't offer any defensive pressure. Both are nearing the ends of their careers. Weideman hasn't taken a game by the scruff of the next since 2018 and JVR is simply a prospect at this stage. No hybrids. A genuine 200cm forward.

2. Key Back: Life after Steven May. We have shown how reliant we are on him and rightly so, he is the best FB in the game. But we've also seen how we don't want to be stuck with Tomlinson as his replacement. Petty and Lever are good long term defenders and Joel Smith is good depth but other than that we really have very few options in the key defender position.

3. Small Lockdown defender: At this stage we only have 1 really good defender that can play on smalls and that is Hibberd. This could be his last season. Bowey is much improved in this area but I'd prefer Bowey and Salem to be more offensively minded. The competition and the speed of the game has increased the value of small forwards and most good teams have 1 or 2. Some 3. Fremantle have 3 elite small forwards (Frederick, Switkowski and Schultz), Brisbane have Bailey, Cameron and McCarthy.

4. Speedy midfielder/forward: The guys with elite speed on our list are Hunt, Oscar Baker, Joel Smith, Bedford, Pickett and Langdon. Pickett and Langdon are the only Best 22 players there. Bedford is fringe. We need more line breakers, more guys that put the opposition under pressure. Bailey Laurie is coming on but he's not quick.

5. Ruck: Life after Gawn. Life after Jackson (if he leaves now or in a few years). We can afford to go a development ruck here as I think Gawn has many more years left in him.

6. General forward: Too much reliance on Fritsch. He's the only guy who has elite goal sense and hits the scoreboard frequently. This is where the Gunston trade talks were interesting as he is an example of what we need.

With no current picks to work with it's up to Jason Taylor and his team to orchestrate ways of improving the team, whether it be trade or through nailing 2nd round picks at the draft where the odds are stacked against us.
I think we'll be looking at replacements for both MBrown and Daw, this trade and draft period.

That backup ruck/forward type, as a mature player. Daw replacement. And a mature mobile tall forward to carry on in MBrowns role.

& Plus it's time for a drafted Maxy protege. The 3 or 4Yr development kid.

I wouldn't be against giving Cory Ellison a go.

I think we'll be looking at replacements for both MBrown and Daw, this trade and draft period.

That backup ruck/forward type, as a mature player. Daw replacement. And a mature mobile tall forward to carry on in MBrowns role.

& Plus it's time for a drafted Maxy protege. The 3 or 4Yr development kid.

I wouldn't be against giving Cory Ellison a go.
Kalani White looks like he could be on our list in 3 or 4 years, kid can jump and is part of our academy, if Jackson stays potentially Gawn goes forward in his twilight years with Jackson playing majority ruck with White the protege.

Kalani White looks like he could be on our list in 3 or 4 years, kid can jump and is part of our academy, if Jackson stays potentially Gawn goes forward in his twilight years with Jackson playing majority ruck with White the protege.
Kalani is a freak of nature, like 190+ cm at 15.

Could try for one in the rookie draft but there are bigger problems than the ruck imo, you can always pick up a mature ager to be depth as well

Yep. But this is romance, before he is even seen in U18's.

We need a kid this year, ahead of White in 3 or 4Yrs time.
Remember, it will take any kid, White or other, 3 or 4Yrs development, to grow into a mature ruck body.

Any kid we recruited this year would not be in the way of Kalani... and maybe either of them or both, might fail anyway.

Kalani is a freak of nature, like 190+ cm at 15.

Could try for one in the rookie draft but there are bigger problems than the ruck imo, you can always pick up a mature ager to be depth as well
We'll need both, a kid, and a mature age replacement for Daw, this year.

Hopefully we will have a crack at Mac Andrew in 2025, if he turns out to be good.

Last edited:
We'll need both, a kid, and a mature age replacement for Daw, this year.

Hopefully we will have a crack at Mac Andrew in 2025, if he turns out to be good.
I understand the talk about Daw? Daw is doing everything asked of him dominating weekly in the VFL. He's not regarded and best 22 so why would we need to replace a player that we're not using?

Kalani White does look promising. Jeff is very open about his progress in sport. He is very good at basketball as well, so at some point next couple of years he'll make his choice.

I just think we need good ball users and smart players. Viney, Trac, Oliver are great players but not great kicks unfortunately. We really need another Salem. Maybe Laurie can be that? Maybe Bowey can become that. But more like them please.

May is gonna play until he's 50 so we're all good down back!

As previously written here, our trade and draft period will absolutely hinge on whether Jackson (and to a lesser extent, Brayshaw) stay or go.

In terms of list needs, I think the two biggest areas of need are KPFs - hopefully JVR becomes an AFL-level key forward at some point but even if he does, we have very few other options coming through. I also wonder whether we experiment with Petty or Joel Smith forward considering our relative depth down back, but dearth of options up forward.

The other area is zip and kicking skills through the midfield - again, hopefully Laurie can become an option sooner rather than later, as he was rated as one of the best kicks in his draft. Maybe this is why we're possibly targeting Karl Amon. Great kick and has some excellent lateral movement, but is predominantly outside. But someone like him would offer more than Jordan or Sparrow imo, as much as I rate those two as solid meat-and-potato B-graders.

As previously written here, our trade and draft period will absolutely hinge on whether Jackson (and to a lesser extent, Brayshaw) stay or go.

In terms of list needs, I think the two biggest areas of need are KPFs - hopefully JVR becomes an AFL-level key forward at some point but even if he does, we have very few other options coming through. I also wonder whether we experiment with Petty or Joel Smith forward considering our relative depth down back, but dearth of options up forward.

The other area is zip and kicking skills through the midfield - again, hopefully Laurie can become an option sooner rather than later, as he was rated as one of the best kicks in his draft. Maybe this is why we're possibly targeting Karl Amon. Great kick and has some excellent lateral movement, but is predominantly outside. But someone like him would offer more than Jordan or Sparrow imo, as much as I rate those two as solid meat-and-potato B-graders.
Jordan has been massive this season imo

Gus was plauded last year for his work on the wing, JJ has been way better but nobody cares.

Sparrow has plenty of potential too, just a few things and he's gonna be very good. Can't see either dropping out long term.

I would have a go at Taylor Walker

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand the talk about Daw? Daw is doing everything asked of him dominating weekly in the VFL. He's not regarded and best 22 so why would we need to replace a player that we're not using?
To replace Daws spot on our list.
As the mature backup ruck, and backup power forward. You do not want to let the list get to thin.

It would be very understandable to get a serious injury to a senior player, and another injury, say hamstring, or back issue to another; in similar time-frame. That's what these backups are there for. Also to keep some pressure on your 2nd ruck, to keep them honest.

Same for the key tall forwards. They need mature backups as well. > MBrown.

It's really important say for LJackson, knowing there is a ready made mature backup right behind him; if he starts to lose focus and form. > see May this week.

Last edited:
I would ask the question.
Playing at CHF would be the perfect fit for us

Will be 33 next year, so a 2 year deal is maybe a risk but could be quite a big reward

Playing at CHF would be the perfect fit for us

Will be 33 next year, so a 2 year deal is maybe a risk but could be quite a big reward
I would play him deep, because he is so good at crashing the Parte`... We need someone coming thru, or over the top, crashing thru.

Eventually JVR might develop this way, as it seems he is doing similar at Casey.

Weide because he is tall and lean, gets levered out of position. or bumped sideways. He needs to have much more weight on him, and below the rib cage.
He needs to grow some hips, and power legs. He is more a high-jumper build, than a power forward.

How many years does Tomlinson have yet? If May wasn't suspended this week, would have been very happy to run with May & Petty as KPDs, BBrown & Tomlinson as KPFs, as an experiment

Pretty obvious people wouldn’t want him due to the racism row.
Yeah he massively ****ed up and served his time
Probably because the guy is a turd of a bloke.
If turds win us games I don't give a *. remember when we drafted nice private school kids and got flogged every week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back