List Mgmt. 2022 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So looks like Taranto is Hopper is going to be pushed out of GWS.

Both would be huge upgrades on what we currently have and both still have plenty of upside/growth.

I’ve said before that I’d throw a huge front ended contract in front of Taranto and try take him in the PSD.

If GWS desperately need to offload Hopper then maybe we could trade pick 2 & future 2nd for Hopper & Pick 5 and one of their other picks in the twenties.

Then Take Busslinger with Pick 5. Cadman or Keeler with our later pick.
No way GWS are trading Hopper out for a 3 pick upgrade in a draft with an even top end.

Unless their salary cap is seriously fked like the Pies.

No way GWS are trading Hopper out for a 3 pick upgrade in a draft with an even top end.

Unless their salary cap is seriously fked like the Pies.

Their salary cap is rooted. Otherwise someone like Hopper (who is contracted) wouldn’t be expendable.

Kelly ~ 1 mill
Cogs ~ 1 mill
Greene ~ 800k
Whitfield ~ 800k

Taranto would probably be looking for at least 700-800k.

That’s a huge chunk of your salary cap for less than half a dozen players.

If we must follow the model of chasing A or B grade players from elsewhere, at least follow the method used by St Kilda and Carlton in not giving up your own decent players in the process.

I'm not hot on giving up draft picks but I'd rather torch our 2023 2nd round than throw Jy Simpkin or Cam Zurhaar away in the search for the next sexy trade.

Gee there's a lot of concern on this board regarding our foot-skills, and posters are pushing for Taranto?

I'm not sure how many of have watched Taranto consistently, but his use by foot is average at best, and that's being generous.

His value comes from his defensive work in stoppages, ability to cover ground on the spread by linking up around the ground along with hitting the scoreboard when up forward.

I really like him as a player, but I'm not sure many totally understand what we'd be getting with him.

He's basically a more defensive Simpkin in a better team, which means he's been able to perform better.

Last edited:
Their salary cap is rooted. Otherwise someone like Hopper (who is contracted) wouldn’t be expendable.

Kelly ~ 1 mill
Cogs ~ 1 mill
Greene ~ 800k
Whitfield ~ 800k

Taranto would probably be looking for at least 700-800k.

That’s a huge chunk of your salary cap for less than half a dozen players.
Lets offer Toby $1.2

Would love to see us try swindle Toby Bedford from the dees over. OOC end of this year and struggling to get a look in past kozzy and spargo; has been dropped even after playing well to make way for one/both.When he's played though he's absolutely looked like an AFL quality small forward, has some serious wheels, freakish and one touch at ground level, knows where the goals are. Curtis and Bedford playing deep not only oozes x factor but gives us two small forwards that are an actual scoreboard threat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have 3x of the best on Bigfooty, time to upgrade them to the club
Make it happen Euge

In fairness those three BF posters have identified players we ended up drafting.

Maybe they all just left.

The One Where Estelle Dies Episode 15 GIF by Friends

Was going to post this a few weeks ago, but didn't get around to it. However have revisited it since these resignations and so many calls that our list is completely stuffed, will take a decade to recover, etc, etc.

I've taken a look at our current list profile and then projected forward the age and experience for two and five years respectively.

The "Now" column below just demonstrates what we all already know. We have just 12 players that are aged over 25 and/or have played more than 100 games. Generally those players are either past it, not up to it or unavailable. Added to that, there are just five other players that have played over 50 games, leaving the club with a dearth of quality age and experience, and that is having an obvious massive impact on current on-field performance.

But fast forward just two years to the 2024 finals and we will likely have about nine players who have played more than 100 games, but most of those players will be in their prime. Then there will be about a dozen or more players that have played over 50 games. The quality of those players is more mixed and some won't be here at all by then. Nevertheless, looking at that list profile I think that is a list that can at least challenge for finals. Even if they don't actually make it, it's still not a list that looks anchored to the bottom of the ladder.

Then fast forward another three years to 2027 finals. That's where the colour coding comes in. By my count, we already have 12 players (the ones in green) on the list that are pretty much a lock in terms of quality and by 2027 will be in their prime with over 100 games experience, with seven of those players having over 150 games experience. In addition to that, there's over a dozen players that are in the "maybe" category (the ones in orange) with the jury still out, but hopefully at least of a handful of them can make the grade (or maintain the grade, in McDonald's case). To me, this is a strong basis of a list that can challenge for a premiership. Are there still holes at the moment? Of course. Is there still a lot of work to do to get there? Hell yeah. But there are still five years worth of drafting, trading and free agency acquisition periods to come before we get into that 2027, which is ample opportunity to improve the list.

1653438973217.png

Despite what's happened in the last few weeks with stories of Noble being to "shouty", recruiting team "resignations" etc, none of that changes the above. The coaches, player development, recruitment staff etc will probably all change in the coming years, before we taste premiership success again, but that doesn't change the position our list is currently in, which is at least a very solid basis for building towards a premiership, in my opinion anyway.

Was going to post this a few weeks ago, but didn't get around to it. However have revisited it since these resignations and so many calls that our list is completely stuffed, will take a decade to recover, etc, etc.

I've taken a look at our current list profile and then projected forward the age and experience for two and five years respectively.

The "Now" column below just demonstrates what we all already know. We have just 12 players that are aged over 25 and/or have played more than 100 games. Generally those players are either past it, not up to it or unavailable. Added to that, there are just five other players that have played over 50 games, leaving the club with a dearth of quality age and experience, and that is having an obvious massive impact on current on-field performance.

But fast forward just two years to the 2024 finals and we will likely have about nine players who have played more than 100 games, but most of those players will be in their prime. Then there will be about a dozen or more players that have played over 50 games. The quality of those players is more mixed and some won't be here at all by then. Nevertheless, looking at that list profile I think that is a list that can at least challenge for finals. Even if they don't actually make it, it's still not a list that looks anchored to the bottom of the ladder.

Then fast forward another three years to 2027 finals. That's where the colour coding comes in. By my count, we already have 12 players (the ones in green) on the list that are pretty much a lock in terms of quality and by 2027 will be in their prime with over 100 games experience, with seven of those players having over 150 games experience. In addition to that, there's over a dozen players that are in the "maybe" category (the ones in orange) with the jury still out, but hopefully at least of a handful of them can make the grade (or maintain the grade, in McDonald's case). To me, this is a strong basis of a list that can challenge for a premiership. Are there still holes at the moment? Of course. Is there still a lot of work to do to get there? Hell yeah. But there are still five years worth of drafting, trading and free agency acquisition periods to come before we get into that 2027, which is ample opportunity to improve the list.

View attachment 1408344

Despite what's happened in the last few weeks with stories of Noble being to "shouty", recruiting team "resignations" etc, none of that changes the above. The coaches, player development, recruitment staff etc will probably all change in the coming years, before we taste premiership success again, but that doesn't change the position our list is currently in, which is at least a very solid basis for building towards a premiership, in my opinion anyway.
Nice post. I've always been of the view that 2024 was probably our best case slightly ahead of target year to start pushing. Maybe not finals but dangerous enough for it to be a chance - or ruining other teams chances. No doubt there are some holes that need filling pretty quickly for that to occur. It really would be the ideal though if we can start pushing around that 2024-5 period. It will mean finals / high intensity experience into that group from Stephenson down before they are too old to impact and hopefully a good 5-6 years of quality competing out of the team minimum.

Four years for Kyle Langford lol.

So maybe a tad left field, but if we end up with pick #1 in the drafts, is it worth considering drafting a shitmen , so he doesn't leave cause no other club wants him?

It just makes us look good if you catch my drift.

Yes??
No doubt the other 17 clubs would support this approach in order to ensure our long term competitiveness.

View attachment 1408344

Great post. Highlights some positivity on a tough week.

Really, this shows that the blokes highlighted Yellow need to show they can reach the blokes who are highlighted Green. I have faith in Scott andTaylor being able to do this.

We need a serious focus on development from here on. Players are stagnating too frequently.

View attachment 1408344

What are people talking about crisis in our recruiting? add Rooboys Rool to the list and it’s far better than what we had before

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back