List Mgmt. 2022 Trade & List Management Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If you are going to make a statement like 'freak of nature' then at least understand the rules.

Priority picks pre 2012 were based on a straight formula of games won - there was no 'AFL discretion' as there is now.

The clubs you are referring to played the game according to the rules then and received the PP's associated with that - irrespective how well or otherwise they managed their list.

The rules have been changed now for a decade now hence only in exceptional circumstances are PP's awarded.

Yes it is now at the discretion of the AFL and well I'm in the camp that we will receive one.

I got it wrong the other day we're 8.5 wins from our last 48 games.

Carlton got bugger all but their 3 year comparison is 14 wins from there last three seasons. We won't get near that.

GC got 13 wins from the 3 seasons that led to them getting ridiculous draft concessions. I am not suggesting we'll get the same. I am very confident we will get an end of first rounder at worst. I hope it's a mid first rounder.

So to match or better those two clubs we need to win either 5/6 more games this season. We all know that aint happening. Not sure why this has only been looked at over two years, the AFL will look back further than that.

Also when your VFL team is getting smashed weekly that kind of adds further weight to your argument.

WHAT DOES IT TAKE FOR AFL ASSISTANCE?

North Melbourne in 2021: Eight wins in previous 44 games, six seasons without finals.

Gold Coast in 2019: Seven wins in previous two seasons, nine seasons without finals.
Assistance:
  • Pick No.1 and pick No.20 in 2019 NAB AFL Draft
  • Pick No.11 in 2020 NAB AFL Draft
  • Pick No.19 in 2021 NAB AFL Draft
  • Increased rookie list, Darwin as Academy zone, ability to pre-sign Academy players

Gold Coast in 2018: 20 wins in previous four seasons, eight seasons without finals.
Assistance:
  • Ability to pre-list three state league players
  • Increased rookie list

Carlton in 2018: Eight wins in previous two seasons, five seasons without finals.
Assistance:
- Ability to pre-list two state league players

Geez we were so badly managed previously, not sure why the AFL didn't ask questions

Oh well

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If we get rid of mostly capable senior players, then we wont see a PP as the AFL will see that as almost tanking.

Sign them on and play them in the vfl if form doesn't warrant selection. Simple.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The AFL might see giving regular games to Walker and Turner as evidence of tanking!

Seriously, if Walker was playing a Tom Campbell-like role in our VFL team and only came in to play on those occasions when the first choice KPDs aren't available, then that would be a decent outcome and would justify another one year deal. We are asking him to fill a role he is simply not good enough for in a decent team.

Same with Turner. Should not be any higher than the 26th to 28th player on our list.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Can we hire Roos back...just to a few months.

Only way I see us getting a decent priority pick.

If you sent him to AFL HQ with a North polo on the AFL wouldn't stand a chance. A few winks here and there and a couple of handshakes and he'd probably walk out with more concessions than GWS. Get him to do the North presser and the AFL media would be eating out of his palm too. All he'd have to do is refer to them as 'Damo', 'Tomo' etc. and they'd turn into 13 year old girls at a 'One Direction' concert.

If the AFL has taught me anything it's not what you can prove...it's which private school boy you have with the most pull.

images
He’s still employed in some capacity isn’t he?

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nope. He sailed off into the sunset at the start of the year. He said "my work here is done"

He lied.
I’m sure someone said last week he had merely scaled it back working online ?

I could be wrong .

Either way, looks like he was a great investment

Can we hire Roos back...just for a few months.

Only way I see us getting a decent priority pick.

If you sent him to AFL HQ with a North polo on the AFL wouldn't stand a chance. A few winks here and there and a couple of handshakes and he'd probably walk out with more concessions than GWS. Get him to do the North presser and the AFL media would be eating out of his palm too. All he'd have to do is refer to them as 'Damo', 'Tomo' etc. and they'd turn into 13 year old girls at a 'One Direction' concert.

If the AFL has taught me anything it's not what you can prove...it's which private school boy you have with the most pull.

images
He’s still on the books.
Living in Hawaii. Zooms in a couple of times a week to collect his pay.

Confirmation from the CEO himself lol

“Amarfio also confirmed that ex-Swans and Demons coach Paul Roos was contributing from afar as a paid consultant of the club along with Gerard Murphy, formerly with Port Adelaide and Geelong, who runs the leadership program.”

I have two issues with this. How the * can Roos do anything remotely positive in ******* Hawaii and the other is who the * is Gerard Murphy? What leadership program? We havnt had leadership at the club in years. It’s all bullshit. This has all the looks of a money laundering scheme. Leadership program. Ffs
Either that or we are processing hush money payments because Goldi had another go at Gerard’s trophy wife or something.

It just makes it more concerning that we are spending our soft cap coin on useless apointments like this.
I hope why our cap is maxed out starts to make sense. Why our list is so poorly developed and why our football program seem so far off the pace.
Noble is only a product of the clubs recent decisions that so far seem way off.

I’m all for a rebuild and changing the list. And I want Noble to succeed. But how can any one of us say with conviction that the club is to be trusted with making the right calls when we are wasting money we don’t have on this s**t.

Mr Lloyd Christmas

Premiership Player
May 5, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've heard the comment in the media and elsewhere that we shouldn't get a priority picks/s as "North only have themselves to blame".

Name me one side who has received priority picks in the past where their list management, coaching etc was exceptional?

None, that's how many.

It's such a ridiculous argument to make.

Jul 18, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Gold Coast in 2018: 20 wins in previous four seasons, eight seasons without finals.
Assistance:
  • Ability to pre-list three state league players
  • Increased rookie list

Carlton in 2018: Eight wins in previous two seasons, five seasons without finals.
Assistance:
- Ability to pre-list two state league players

Geez we were so badly managed previously, not sure why the AFL didn't ask questions

Oh well

Getting to pre-list state league players might have carried more value before there was a mid season draft where all the best state league players are snapped up. You would have to see 2 or 3 state league players return from injury and light up their league in the second half of the season for this concession to offer any assistance to a struggling club in 2022.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

“Amarfio also confirmed that ex-Swans and Demons coach Paul Roos was contributing from afar as a paid consultant of the club along with Gerard Murphy, formerly with Port Adelaide and Geelong, who runs the leadership program.”

I have two issues with this. How the fu** can Roos do anything remotely positive in ******* Hawaii and the other is who the fu** is Gerard Murphy? What leadership program? We havnt had leadership at the club in years. It’s all bullshit. This has all the looks of a money laundering scheme. Leadership program. Ffs
Either that or we are processing hush money payments because Goldi had another go at Gerard’s trophy wife or something.

It just makes it more concerning that we are spending our soft cap coin on useless apointments like this.
I hope why our cap is maxed out starts to make sense. Why our list is so poorly developed and why our football program seem so far off the pace.

I’m all for a rebuild and changing the list. And I want Noble to succeed. But how can any one of us say with conviction that the club is to be trusted with making the right calls when we are wasting money we don’t have on this s**t.
A quick google search and I think this is Gerard. He seems chipper enough

1652756495885.png

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM

I have two issues with this. How the fu** can Roos do anything remotely positive in ******* Hawaii and the other is who the fu** is Gerard Murphy? What leadership program? We havnt had leadership at the club in years. It’s all bullshit. This has all the looks of a money laundering scheme. Leadership program. Ffs

A truly laughable situation.

With bailey dale and Caleb Daniel both being unrestricted free agents we should be throwing money at both to get 1 over

Mr Lloyd Christmas

Premiership Player
May 5, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne

“Amarfio also confirmed that ex-Swans and Demons coach Paul Roos was contributing from afar as a paid consultant of the club along with Gerard Murphy who runs the leadership program.”

who the fu** is Gerard Murphy?

No wonder we had to put Tom Lynch on the rookie list.

We are seemingly paying blokes as consultants that I didn't even know existed.......

No wonder we had to put Tom Lynch on the rookie list.

We are seemingly paying blokes as consultants that I didn't even know existed.......
It begs the question then why the secrecy? Why mislead the members into believing Roos was done and then in a random spiel amongst a week from hell where coach, captain and club got smashed in the media they leak it out as an off the cuff comment. Then announce there’s not one but 2 blokes getting paid to work via zoom.
I’m sure this will be refuted and argued down as irrelevant/storm in a teacup, but for a club that historically flogs all of its off field coups on social media we’ve got crickets so far.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
With bailey dale and Caleb Daniel both being unrestricted free agents we should be throwing money at both to get 1 over

I was concerned after the Sicily news. Glad you're back on the horse.

Spoiler: neither of them join north

Jul 18, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've heard the comment in the media and elsewhere that we shouldn't get a priority picks/s as "North only have themselves to blame".

Name me one side who has received priority picks in the past where their list management, coaching etc was exceptional?

None, that's how many.

It's such a ridiculous argument to make.

I've come to the conclusion that the only circumstance in which a priority pick would be agreed to by the other clubs is if (heaven forbid) a plane fell out of the sky.

Every single instance of a club underperforming over a period of years is due to that club making poor choices or mismanaging - they ALWAYS have themselves to blame. But if there is still an appetite for equalization at AFLHQ (which the draft and salary cap represent) and if priority picks remain an option for underperforming clubs on account of the probability that they are caught in a spiral of uncompetitiveness, then media commentators need to wake up to the purpose of priority picks. They are not a reward for well-managed clubs who have just stumbled on bad luck. They are there to help clubs become competitive (equalization, remember!) And they are especially intended to help prevent an endless cycle of top-end kids deserting the club as soon as they are out of contract because they want to play finals, as happened at Gold Coast since they were established, and also just a few years ago at Brisbane. Offer these kids a genuine chance that success is on the horizon and they will be loyal to the club that drafted them. But if you refuse to aid that club on the basis that a few years ago, a previous administration did something dumb, then you condemn the club to endless misery as players abandon the sinking ship. The point is, they will surely have to give a concession this year, and if they don't then they will have to give a lot more concessions next year and the year after that.

It begs the question then why the secrecy? Why mislead the members into believing Roos was done and then in a random spiel amongst a week from hell where coach, captain and club got smashed in the media they leak it out as an off the cuff comment. Then announce there’s not one but 2 blokes getting paid to work via zoom.
I’m sure this will be refuted and argued down as irrelevant/storm in a teacup, but for a club that historically flogs all of its off field coups on social media we’ve got crickets so far.
What secrecy.

I thought that was common knowledge.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
They’ve gone full Kremlin.

Never go full Kremlin.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Players out of contract this year with the potential delistings (my thoughts) marked with an asterisk:

NameFinal YearYears Service*Status
Aaron Hall20224Non-Free Agent
Atu Bosenavulagi*20222Non-Free Agent
Bailey Scott20224Non-Free Agent
Ben Cunnington202213Unrestricted Free Agent
Cameron Zurhaar20226Non-Free Agent
Curtis Taylor20224Non-Free Agent
Flynn Perez20223Non-Free Agent
Jed Anderson20227Non-Free Agent
Joshua Walker*20223Non-Free Agent
Kayne Turner*20229Restricted Free Agent
Kyron Hayden*20225Non-Free Agent
Lachie Young20222Non-Free Agent
Matthew McGuinness*20223Non-Free Agent
Patrick Walker*20222Non-Free Agent
Todd Goldstein*202216Unrestricted Free Agent
Tom Lynch*20221Non-Free Agent
Tom Powell20222Non-Free Agent
Tristan Xerri20225Non-Free Agent
Anderson in strife

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

I think it was reported as him quitting game day involvement rather than all involvement but cant find non paywall souce:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...wQFnoECFAQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1POhj-zuPFz1cqAg-LoSEU

This is the sort of genius we are paying for btw:

Paul Roos has urged North Melbourne to hand Brad Scott a new contract and let him rebuild​

Kangaroos head coach Brad Scott. (Photo by Michael Dodge/Getty Images)

Kangaroos head coach Brad Scott. (Photo by Michael Dodge/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images
September 12th, 2016 2:05 pm

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Btw 2016 same article as above re Roos:

Unlike Roos and Brereton, Essendon great Matthew Lloyd believes it would be best if North Melbourne had a new coach next year and Scott landed the job at the Brisbane Lions.“I believe that in a perfect world, a fresh start would be right for North Melbourne,: Lloyd to the AFL website on Monday.

Maybe we should hire Lloyd as a consultant too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back