List Mgmt. 2022 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It beggars belief how bad we are at forward pressure considering we play a fairly mobile forward line too.

Push one into the contest they hold one back create an outnumber and then a million intercepts a game, or long down the line turn overs where the outnumber can kill the ball.

Or the most frustrating of all, we actually win the frecking thing and look up and their ain't no one home to kick to.

I we get Riewoldt, I'm gonna end it all!! There are few players who s**t me more than him......

Senior player in a triple premiership winnning side who would automatically be in our best two KPFs.

Bias a aside he'd play every week if he was fit enough.

*edit - disclaimer I don't want a bunch of these players. We need experienced leadership, and to fill list holes and we need to do it with basically no draft capital.

Senior player in a triple premiership winnning side who would automatically be in our best two KPFs.

Bias a aside he'd play every week if he was fit enough.
Do not disagree. I'd love him kicking goals for us but he's an arrogant knobhead!

Unathletic one paced plodders like Ziebell, Mahony & Turner will result in that.
I previously thought that was the case but watching I believe we simply don’t work hard enough as a team.
Opposition teams out number us by working back, so when they get possession, they can toss the ball around till they get someone in space. Rinse/repeat.

I’d love to see stats on how many repeat stoppages we create in the 50, cause I doubt they’d be many. Which basically means impossible to set up behind the ball as well.

THe below are UFA or RFA this year (not 100% if they all remain unsigned). All of them would be walk up starts into our side. Most would fill a hole or offer a level of leadership we do not currently have.

McStay
Sidebottom
Alex Pearce
Joel Selwood
Angus Brayshaw
Karl Amon
Boak
Cotchin
Riewoldt
Josh Kennedy (SYD)
Josh Kenndey (WCE)
Hurn
I agree that they would walk into our side, but that doesn’t mean they fit our needs.

My view of a free agent that suits our needs would be from either of these categories:

• Young enough and good enough to still be in our next premiership side, so ~5 years away.
  • Provides experience and leadership, but only if it’s not going to cost exposure of our youth at the top level (e.g. a stop gap CHB would work because we don’t really have any developing youth there yet - a CHF not so much as we have Comben, CCJ and potentially even Edwards that will need game time next year.)

I don’t think any of those you listed fit the bill really. Perhaps Pearce noting our lack of KPDs, but I guess I was including “gettable” as part of it and IMO there’s no chance a leader in a team on the rise is leaving their club, let alone to come to us.

I agree that they would walk into our side, but that doesn’t mean they fit our needs.

My view of a free agent that suits our needs would be from either of these categories:

• Young enough and good enough to still be in our next premiership side, so ~5 years away.
  • Provides experience and leadership, but only if it’s not going to cost exposure of our youth at the top level (e.g. a stop gap CHB would work because we don’t really have any developing youth there yet - a CHF not so much as we have Comben, CCJ and potentially even Edwards that will need game time next year.)

I don’t think any of those you listed fit the bill really. Perhaps Pearce noting our lack of KPDs, but I guess I was including “gettable” as part of it and IMO there’s no chance a leader in a team on the rise is leaving their club, let alone to come to us.

I wasn't suggesting taking all of them. In world where that was a shopping list I would take:

Pearce and McStay as KPD and KPF, Amon across half back.

I would take 1-2 of Cotchin/Selwood/Boak/Hurn/Kennedy(syd) in the Hodge type role but with Coaching on the agenda in the second year.

The first 3 are young enough to it your ~5 years. The others would walk up start and actually create a situation where the pressure from underneath actually becomes a thing.

In terms of gettable, from here it looks like salary cap space is about the only thing we do have in abundance. We would be paying overs at least in the short term.

I wasn't suggesting taking all of them. In world where that was a shopping list I would take:

I would take Pearce and McStay as KPD and KPF, Amon across half back.

I would take 1-2 of Cotchin/Selwood/Boak/Hurn/Kennedy(syd) in the Hodge type role but with Coaching on the agenda in the second year.

The first 3 are young enough to it your ~5 years. The others would walk up start and actually create a situation where the pressure from underneath actually becomes a thing.

In terms of gettable, from here it looks like salary cap space is about the only thing we do have in abundance. We would be paying overs at least in the short term.
I think I’ve moved to this way of thinking, I was quite anti overpay as cap space to me is golden but I do think we really need to upgrade that 24-28 year old range and whilst we are building I think overpay might be the go.

I was anti mcstay at the quoted figure but I say go for it.

I’d say Boak out of that list offers the most I think the others are pretty tapped out or won’t leave (Cotchin)

Is Amon FA, could use his run.

A 27 year old who is good enough could do that.

THe below are UFA or RFA this year (not 100% if they all remain unsigned). All of them would be walk up starts into our side. Most would fill a hole or offer a level of leadership we do not currently have.

McStay
Sidebottom
Alex Pearce
Joel Selwood
Angus Brayshaw
Karl Amon
Boak
Cotchin
Riewoldt
Josh Kennedy (SYD)
Josh Kenndey (WCE)
Hurn

Your proposals have been reviewed.

McStay :whitecheck:
Sidebottom :crossmark:
Alex Pearce :whitecheck:
Joel Selwood :whitecheck:
Angus Brayshaw :whitecheck:
Karl Amon :whitecheck:
Boak :whitecheck:
Cotchin :whitecheck:
Riewoldt :whitecheck:
Josh Kennedy (SYD) :whitecheck:
Josh Kenndey (WCE) :whitecheck:
Hurn :whitecheck:

I mean with all said about Pearce I doubt he’d leave freo he’s been great this yr and they are close to really competing they’d find a deal

I’d sooner sidearse than Kennedy(WC) or hurn I just reckon they’re cooked.

I think I’ve moved to this way of thinking, I was quite anti overpay as cap space to me is golden but I do think we really need to upgrade that 24-28 year old range and whilst we are building I think overpay might be the go.
It is about the only avenue left for us to be creative through.

Anyone we trade we are getting less than their value to us (sans JHF but that ain't happening)

LOL

He may be able to teach a few about running.

Off field though perhaps we don't want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone we trade we are getting less than their value to us (sans JHF but that ain't happening)
agree now, by the time the youngins are up to snuff they move on.

It would rapidly balance the list.

Dare I say it if Nobel is still around he might have half a shot

LOL

He may be able to teach a few about running.

Off field though perhaps we don't want.

Ha, it actually wasn't a commentary on Sidebottom was a genuine once over the players. I'd take all of the others and see a fit for them in our development.

I rate him for talent but don't think he brings anything to our group. AFAIK not a renowned leader and his skillset might be useful to a contender but he doesn't provide anything for our list / timing window.

I'd sooner give Shaun Higgins an extra superannuation year to teach our kids onfield.

Ha, it actually wasn't a commentary on Sidebottom was a genuine once over the players. I'd take all of the others and see a fit for them in our development.

I rate him for talent but don't think he brings anything to our group. AFAIK not a renowned leader and his skillset might be useful to a contender but he doesn't provide anything for our list / timing window.

I'd sooner give Shaun Higgins an extra superannuation year to teach our kids onfield.
I would say Sidebottom could offer workrate, run and ball skills and ball finding. which we could use a bit of

Wayne Carey was/is an arrogant knobhead, and that didn't seem to bother us.
Times do change a bit and look how WCs tenure ended.

Not saying JR wouldn’t go that way but if it is unable to be kept in check it can be a prob

That said I don’t think JR is arrogant. Passionate more like

So could Higgins and with much more demonstrated leadership. I'd pass with respect to his age and defensive/leadership qualities.
At this stage Sidebottom is out performing Higgins though. He’s still producing pretty well. We kind of need that level of afl all day running. Sure he isn’t perfect but we aren’t challenging for a flag either we just need a capable place holder that can show the young ones what’s needed

At this stage Sidebottom is out performing Higgins though. He’s still producing pretty well. We kind of need that level of afl all day running. Sure he isn’t perfect but we aren’t challenging for a flag either we just need a capable place holder that can show the young ones what’s needed

Happy to disagree mate. I wouldn't provide a spot for Steele Sidebottom on our 2023 list, don't see the upside with respect to his age and attributes.

That's not to say he's a bad player but doesn't fit a need for us IMO. Can understand why you'd rate him and he's been a gun.

So could Higgins and with much more demonstrated leadership. I'd pass with respect to his age and defensive/leadership qualities.
We need someone who runs hard defensively so no Higgo for me. I dunno what Sidebottom is like on that front. If he works his arse off he could be valuable. Altho LDU does okay on that front already. So does Jed.

We need someone who runs hard defensively so no Higgo for me. I dunno what Sidebottom is like on that front. If he works his arse off he could be valuable. Altho LDU does okay on that front already. So does Jed.

Agree. I wouldn't target either but if we desperately wanted someone to lead by example in terms of preparation, skill, fitness, finishing - then I'd be open to giving Higgins a retirement year over poaching Sidebottom.

To be clear I wouldn't be approaching either for an on-field role in 2023.

Happy to disagree mate. I wouldn't provide a spot for Steele Sidebottom on our 2023 list, don't see the upside with respect to his age and attributes.

That's not to say he's a bad player but doesn't fit a need for us IMO. Can understand why you'd rate him and he's been a gun.
It doesn’t necessarily need to be Sidebottom but I think his strengths are things we are missing. Amon could be a good one too.

I think a big part of the disconnect between “the game plan” and the players is the ability to run all day at afl intensity. Ball skills can hide sone of that but we do need capable endurance runners that can get the ball. Considering our contested disposals are close to the oppo and our uncontested is so bad.

Again I’m not nailed on to Sidey but a few of that that type of player would be invaluable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back