Game Day 2022 Trade Period Match Thread

Have you installed a Rheem or felt the loving embrace of Continental Tyres safely guide your trip?

• Having a shower in my Rheem right now

Votes: 22 18.0%
  • No, what a stupid poll

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • YOU DONT KNOW ME

Votes: 22 18.0%
  • Luke Jackson

Votes: 65 53.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple question here:

Would you prefer Jackson or Darcy as the primary ruck?

I like Jackson as a big tall midfielder but there is no way that he is worth what is reported either in picks or salary.

Big Sean Darcy has this to say

Simple question here:

Would you prefer Jackson or Darcy as the primary ruck?

I like Jackson as a big tall midfielder but there is no way that he is worth what is reported either in picks or salary.

Big Sean Darcy has this to say

Or this version for a bit of a laugh

If we upgrade our first I can't see F1 going anywhere tbh
This is it. We would be doing this to save our F1. I reckon we won’t budge on F1. We’ll either upgrade 13 to 8 using F2 or we will pass on 13 and another late first secured in the Lobb trade. The upgrade to 8 is to save the F1.

Trading away our first this year and next start to limiting trading capacity in future years. Walls just won’t trade F1.

So, with all of this top level talent heading onto the Lions’ list this year, surely there’s a bit of low hanging talent we can wrangle off their list? Starcevich, Robertson, any others we could / should target?

What would it look like for us to not budge the whole trade period. WCE to do a split - offer up one of the two picks and a future 2nd to Melb for Jackson, who comes in to replace Nic Nat long term, still hold a top 10 pick, and we walk away with nothing?

Little surprised this hasn’t been spoken about much, but can’t see any early picks getting split this year. “Like most years”
Looking at the draft class, and apart from Ashcroft there doesn’t seem to be any must haves, it’s a pretty even spread. Which is great as coasters have a early pick in a weak draft.
Not surprised they’re declining to split it, they know that nobody’s interested in it

Little surprised this hasn’t been spoken about much, but can’t see any early picks getting split this year. “Like most years”
Looking at the draft class, and apart from Ashcroft there doesn’t seem to be any must haves, it’s a pretty even spread. Which is great as coasters have a early pick in a weak draft.
Not surprised they’re declining to split it, they know that nobody’s interested in it
Hopefully they s**t the bed as bad as last year’s draft.

I don't blame the fans either. Most of them are casual and won't look at the details to know its unrealistic to have any significant expectations on him early. On the surface, we are paying him like he is as good as Oliver or Cripps and he is miles off it. He's closer to Banfield's level than theirs.

It only matters if you LOSE !!!!!

Jackson sucks and we win no one will give 2 *s

If you lose the pitchforks come out either way so what’s the difference really

I’m a pretty harsh judge on FFC decisions I don’t agree with and even I’ve been pretty happy lately so I’m backing them in

I'd only want us to split pick 1 if we got a crazy good offer otherwise I'd rather take Wardlaw or Sheezel at #2 if we don't. Prior to getting injured Wardlaw was probably ahead of Ashcroft, he is dual sided, fast, athletic, good skills for an inside mid.

For the Meek trade, would we prefer:

Jai Serong, straight swap.
Add something and go for DGB
The F2 that we'll probably need for Sharp

(Brockman has just signed a 1 year extension, and is off the table)

Clubs are reluctant to trade guys early in their career in case they become stars.

If Josh Kennedy turns out to be Josh Schache or Scott Gumbleton the trade for Judd is the greatest trade ever. But they let him go at the start of his career and he kicked 700+ goals and they had egg on their face.

Melbourne are in the same position we were with cerra. Young future star, top 10 pick already playing a key role. But uncontracted so little to no leverage. Will also probably end up 8 (from Port) and change after all the posturing is said and done. Sux for them, and us last year, but that's life. We picked a privileged Melbourne kid, they picked a kid from SOR Perth. It comes with risks.

There's a goodwill factor during trade week. There's the odd trade like Weller where there's a clear winner but generally they look pretty fair. Cerra for pick 6 looked right. Jackson for 13 and F1 looks about right.

Over our 28 years in the comp how many of these 'big' trades have actually worked out in our favour?

It's an unfair question to a degree because Croad never really wanted to be here. Tarrant never really wanted to be here. Hogan had off field issues.

Jackson doesn't have the baggage those guys had.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's an unfair question to a degree because Croad never really wanted to be here. Tarrant never really wanted to be here. Hogan had off field issues.

Jackson doesn't have the baggage those guys had.
I'm not sure it's a reasonable question anyway. Clearly big trades are critical to success. Smith is this years Norm Smith Medalist and Cameron a central part of Geelong's progress from contender to Premier. And of course Dangerfield. Big trades with big results.

You see it in every Premiership team. Croad didn't work out as planned on our side of the trade, but that trade was central in Hawthorn's PremiershipsPremierships, including the ones he wasn't there for.

There isn't a Premiership side that hasn't used big trades to win a Premiership within our clubs history.

We haven't been successful with that, and we need to understand why, and improve.

What concerns me is that it’s Twomey reporting this. He’s the best in the business when it comes to this stuff, the Ryan Daniels of the Melbourne media.
So it’s probably true 😥
It’s not. VIC media will be bent out of shape when the Jackson deal goes through. Taranto goes for one first round pick but Jackson is worth two? Why? Non-VIC club to a powerful VIC club…on the return Freo have to pay overs?

Deal is current first rounder and F1. Twomey should stick to Phantom drafts and let Jenkins and Rendall run trade radio into the ground.

I'm not sure it's a reasonable question anyway. Clearly big trades are critical to success. Smith is this years Norm Smith Medalist and Cameron a central part of Geelong's progress from contender to Premier. And of course Dangerfield. Big trades with big results.

You see it in every Premiership team. Croad didn't work out as planned on our side of the trade, but that trade was central in Hawthorn's PremiershipsPremierships, including the ones he wasn't there for.

There isn't a Premiership side that hasn't used big trades to win a Premiership within our clubs history.

We haven't been successful with that, and we need to understand why, and improve.
Big difference with the (potential) Jackson trade and those is that, outside of the Hawthorn draft picks, those were already well established stars with clearly defined roles. Jackson is only potential at this stage and without a clearly defined role (no matter how much so on here are trying to square peg him into the round hole that is the Forwardline): Monsterous red flags that quite a few have seen from miles off. The fact that he's considered to be worth 2 first rounders at all is nothing short of insanity, and now there's pressure to improve that already ridiculous overprice?

This is such a massive and unnecessary risk. Short of Jackson becoming a 50-60 goal a year forward for the next 10 years (which he shows absolutely no signs of being able to become) I don't see how this trade is worth it.

It’s not. VIC media will be bent out of shape when the Jackson deal goes through. Taranto goes for one first round pick but Jackson is worth two? Why? Non-VIC club to a powerful VIC club…on the return Freo have to pay overs?

Deal is current first rounder and F1. Twomey should stick to Phantom drafts and let Jenkins and Rendall run trade radio into the ground.
The funny thing is, the same Vic centric media will then be putting feathers in Bell’s cap when we get it done for 13,F1 with 50 coming back to us.
Or perhaps that’s the game plan, make it look like so ridiculous to start with that we (Freo) feel like we’ve won when we still cough up 2x1st rounder’s for an uncontracted Jackson

Edit: to make it more tangible, instead of just numbers and points value, Hewett and Busslinger are currently 13 & 14 in Twoomey’s latest rankings, so we are missing out on one of them, plus a similar player next year if we do trade both out 1st rounders.

Last edited:
Our first round picks aren't great picks. Aiden O'Driscoll isn't as tall as his brother... yet... we should get him with a pick after 20 next year anyway.
His colts stats look good, similar player to Nathan?
Averaged 20 possessions and just under a goal a game from 6 games for Perth this year. From the stats alone he looks to be a steady improver like Nathan as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back