Status
Not open for further replies.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
Whoever gets highmore for peanuts is gonna look like a genius when he kills it at AFL level.

It's gonna be us getting membrey for free in reverse.

For better or worse we are committed to wilkie, battle and howard longterm- plus coffield to return somewhere/somehow.

We've painted ourselves into a corner by drafting all the same kind of player.
Plus howard who is tall... but no good at wearing an opponent like a glove- so he in effect plays the same as wilkie, highmore, battle, coffield despite his height.

Really poor list management- this is why you don't solely draft for "best available" with absolutely zero regard for what you already have (or expect to have).
Far more concerned about Bytel than Highmore.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
You can't move up without giving something up. We are just going to have to use the draft well. No more weird stuff. The guys I mentioned are more depth. Replace Hanners and Kent.
We don't need list cloggers , hopefully we secure a free agent with Hannerbery's money and our first round draft pick should secure us some kid who has vastly better ability than the 2 you mentioned.

I would also want youth in the VFL not a run of the mill mid who might play great in the VFL but is bog average in the seniors , we have already got rid of Newnes and Dunstan.

I have faith Gubby Allen will get what we want - Leathlean will leave no stone un-turned to find the players we are craving for.

Whoever gets highmore for peanuts is gonna look like a genius when he kills it at AFL level.

It's gonna be us getting membrey for free in reverse.

For better or worse we are committed to wilkie, battle and howard longterm- plus coffield to return somewhere/somehow.

We've painted ourselves into a corner by drafting all the same kind of player.
Plus howard who is tall... but no good at wearing an opponent like a glove- so he in effect plays the same as wilkie, highmore, battle, coffield despite his height.

Really poor list management- this is why you don't solely draft for "best available" with absolutely zero regard for what you already have (or expect to have).

It was a weird one, already developed so didn't even have as much development upside.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
From where l stand we can still get what we need now and for the future.

Prioritize the retention of our existing youth.

Sell next years first for the benefit of a young mid and a youngish KPD. If you can get it done with later picks then great but quality is the key.

Lose Highmore and package it all up for Brisbane's FRDP.

All to make sure there's plenty of good kids in the works if it all goes **** up next year.

We don't need list cloggers , hopefully we secure a free agent with Hannerbery's money and our first round draft pick should secure us some kid who has vastly better ability than the 2 you mentioned.

I would also want youth in the VFL not a run of the mill mid who might play great in the VFL but is bog average in the seniors , we have already got rid of Newnes and Dunstan.

I have faith Gubby Allen will get what we want - Leathlean will leave no stone un-turned to find the players we are craving for.

I don't think they'd be list cloggers. Upgrades on our depth are still valuable. Having Dunstan in reserve would have been handy this year and we weren't that troubled by injury.

The only ones worth bothering with are either kids with upside like Tanner Bruhn, Elijah Hollands, Miles Bergman types. Established FAs like Amon or some improvements on depth. Then go to the draft.

I think Mathieson would get a game with us easily, he's bit more outside than most of our guys and can run. Sullivan is a VFL gun and you'd imagine his leadership and ability to play against and beat plenty of AFL level players should make a transition easy. Hayes looked at home in the AFL, Wilkie came in late. Age is irrelevant, he'd be a free hit that in the worst case makes our VFL side stronger and trains our kids. Like Kent if a senior goes down he comes in and takes a spot. If he is playing well he stays in.

From where l stand we can still get what we need now and for the future.

Prioritize the retention of our existing youth.

Sell next years first for the benefit of a young mid and a youngish KPD. If you can get it done with later picks then great but quality is the key.

Lose Highmore and package it all up for Brisbane's FRDP.

All to make sure there's plenty of good kids in the works if it all goes **** up next year.

I don't like selling off future picks. What if we screw up the pick Brisbane have and next year bottom out. We give them pick 3 or 4 for a pick 16 in a weaker draft. Part of the reason we don't have lots of quality is selling off our picks for years.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't think they'd be list cloggers. Upgrades on our depth are still valuable. Having Dunstan in reserve would have been handy this year and we weren't that troubled by injury.

The only ones worth bothering with are either kids with upside like Tanner Bruhn, Elijah Hollands, Miles Bergman types. Established FAs like Amon or some improvements on depth. Then go to the draft.

I think Mathieson would get a game with us easily, he's bit more outside than most of our guys and can run. Sullivan is a VFL gun and you'd imagine his leadership and ability to play against and beat plenty of AFL level players should make a transition easy. Hayes looked at home in the AFL, Wilkie came in late. Age is irrelevant, he'd be a free hit that in the worst case makes our VFL side stronger and trains our kids. Like Kent if a senior goes down he comes in and takes a spot. If he is playing well he stays in.
I'd rather pick players to take us to a flag - we have turned over the list and we just need to finish it with some class - Kent will be de-listed , Hanners retired , Geary retired , Ryder retired most probably.
We have to take at least 3 kids in the draft as per the rules - so that takes 3 spots and then hopefully a free agent.
Picking up average midfielders will not cut it.
DeGoey is a must get and I would be tempted to offload a player to get a player we need.

We have the coin to attract a good player and a lot of teams don't.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't like selling off future picks. What if we screw up the pick Brisbane have and next year bottom out. We give them pick 3 or 4 for a pick 16 in a weaker draft. Part of the reason we don't have lots of quality is selling off our picks for years.
We have upgraded our list considerbly in the last 4yrs , Brad Crouch / great pick up , Higgins / first 2 goal a game small forward we have had since Milne , King / will be the best key forward for years to come , Windhager , Milera , Owens , Hayes , Sharman are all looking to be better than average players and add them on to a quality few picks this year with a good free agent I would guarantee we will be stepping up a level next next year.
It also has to be remembered most of our best players are not older than 26 - Marshall , Steele , Wilkie , Battle , Howard , Gresham , Butler - so if we hit the right draft and trade targets we should get results.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I agree that Mathieson would be worth a go not costing much. He seems to have a bit of attitude and brings a good competitive edge. Our choirboy midfield could do with a point of difference.
Our midfield is far from choir boy , having the best 2 taking midfielders in the game with Steele and Crouch - what we need is some burst pace - because Gresham and Jones are not delivering.
Mathieson is way behind a kid like Windhager and Owens who I hope will fill the void.
We need talent not another spud.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
I suppose it's a question of if you back yourself. Brisbane are fragile depending on retirements.

I'd rather pick players to take us to a flag - we have turned over the list and we just need to finish it with some class - Kent will be de-listed , Hanners retired , Geary retired , Ryder retired most probably.
We have to take at least 3 kids in the draft as per the rules - so that takes 3 spots and then hopefully a free agent.
Picking up average midfielders will not cut it.
DeGoey is a must get and I would be tempted to offload a player to get a player we need.

We have the coin to attract a good player and a lot of teams don't.

At the moment we can't afford to miss finals. We had a great run with injury this year but losing Jones, Billings and Steele for long periods and having not much underneath hurt and possibly cost us finals. You have another guy come in and it makes it much less likely that injury costs you.

We need to keep bringing in good kids for sure but if we expect to play finals we need another level under them as a safety net.

Next year we'll lose Hanners, Paddy, Kent, probably Bytel, Joyce, possibly Adams and Connolly, Highmore would want out and Kyle is already gone. There will be plenty of spot IMO.

SteeleSaints

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2022
AFL Club
St Kilda
Our midfield is far from choir boy , having the best 2 taking midfielders in the game with Steele and Crouch - what we need is some burst pace - because Gresham and Jones are not delivering.
Mathieson is way behind a kid like Windhager and Owens who I hope will fill the void.
We need talent not another spud.
Totally agree I think Mathieson is C grade at best. We either go to the draft or look to trade in quality midfielder/s.

Klaatu

All Australian
Oct 18, 2019
Outer space
AFL Club
St Kilda
At the moment we can't afford to miss finals. We had a great run with injury this year but losing Jones, Billings and Steele for long periods and having not much underneath hurt and possibly cost us finals. You have another guy come in and it makes it much less likely that injury costs you.

We need to keep bringing in good kids for sure but if we expect to play finals we need another level under them as a safety net.

Next year we'll lose Hanners, Paddy, Kent, probably Bytel, Joyce, possibly Adams and Connolly, Highmore would want out and Kyle is already gone. There will be plenty of spot IMO.

Keeping Bytel,Adams and Connolly & Highmore is overrated by BF pundits.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda

Understanding what your saying but losing Hanners , Paddy , Kent , Geary and probably a couple more - but I feel Bytel will not be going anywhere , they will give him a one year contract just to see where he is at - we kept Minchington on the list for 5yrs.
Highmore as well however he could get targeted by another team which will be a pity because he can get his hands on the ball and could well be required next year.
We are getting Coffield back but I wouldn't be surprised if they attempt to get him playing Woods role on a wing and Sharman to me will be playing forward if anything happens to Membery or King.

Connolly is another who has shown he is up to tempo and is to young to cast aside just yet because he has upside , don't you think.

Whatever happens they will go all out on a good midfielder who can be a point of difference.
I feel it will be a buyers market and a few out left field trades will come out of the woodwork.

Guy's like Dunkley , Taranto , Hopper , Degoey could all be at new clubs next year and doesn't include guys like Mitchel , JOM , Windgard who they tried to offload last year for draft picks and then there are guys like Matt Crouch who has been cast aside and should be close to nothing trade wise even he would be a upgrade on Mathieson.

Anyway I'll put my money on getting DeGoey and picking up a very good kid with our first round draft pick with a few very good players could be at our pick - our academy kid could be there at 10 or even Eli Hewett from the West.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
He's never been able to stare down his dragons unfortunately.
Since he's been allowed to stay in his safe space for the last 6 years it's doubtful IMO that he's able to extricate himself from it so far as football goes.
Get Billings a shrink. Dr Steve Peters or the lady that Dusty used, whoever. That dude needs to be trapped in a dungeon and fed scraps of meat until he fights his way out.

No Grundy for me. Marshall will be 27 next year I think it’s time we committed to him as the number 1 man with Hayes or another forward-ruck and backup. We need more goal kickers as well because it’s King or bust and that’s not ideal for Max’s whole career. Marshall as a forward doesn’t kick enough goals.

Windhager and Owens are far more dynamic prospects than Bytel.
Different players though.
Would really like to see Bytel get another year ( hopefully injury free) to show us what he’s got before we move him on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back