List Mgmt. 2022 Trade Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realise our quest for finals this season is over and all we really have now are the draft and trade periods, and even in that area there's yet to be any real meaty innuendo to dissect. Considering all of that, I still refuse to even slightly entertain the notion of Hill to norf. This (to me) seems like one of the more ridiculous rumours of late that it ain't worth touching even in a hypothetical sense.

Come on boys and girls, we can do better than this.

🤪

The pies were shopping Treloar from like mid year. We have made absolutely no suggestion we want to trade Hill. You’d think the only way we’d trade him would be as a salary dump (in which case we’re not paying his salary at all) or because North is willing to cough up something pretty decent (in which case sure, pick up some of his salary).

Hill gets complained about but he's still one of our top 10 players. He's not earning his huge pay packet but you are still losing a good piece and he's often the only run apart from Sinclair. You'd want to steal MacKay off them or something if you are going to hamstring your own list.

If it's a salary dump it's because they want to throw everything at DeGoey hoping that he's a more suitable piece than Hill. Losing Hill and Nas would be a pretty bad double up though and we'd have to find someone to provide some outside run. I guess Amon?

Keep/Trade?

Ryder - Depends on list spots
Geary - Retired
Hannebery - Depends on list spots, min wage
Campbell - Haven't used him, but if Marshall goes down he'll have to play
Ross - No one else wanted him last time, had a good year though
Webster - Baitable
Hill - For an acceptable trade
Wood - Probably kept
Crouch - Keep
Kent - Delist
Membrey - Keep
Lienert - Depends on list spots
Sinclair - Keep
Jones - Tradable
Billings - Trade, although no one else wanted him last time
Marshall - Keep
Steele - Keep
Hayes - Keep
Wilkie - Keep
Howard - Keep
McKenzie - Keep
Butler - Keep
Joyce - Depends on list spots
Long - Keep
Gresham - For an acceptable trade
Highmore - Keep
Battle - Keep
Paton - Possibly baitable with Coff and Highmore in line?
Higgins - Keep
Clark - Baitable
Coffield - Keep
Bytel - Keep, he'll tear it up elsewhere no doubt
King - Keep
Sharman - Keep
Byrnes - Trade
Connolly - Keep
Allison - Will be kept
Heath - Keep
Wanganeen-Milera - Up to him. Sign now or we might lose him for nothing next year
Windhager - Clone
Adams - Will be kept
Kyle - Gone
Owens - Keep
Peris - Keep

Why anyone would trade Gresham is beyond reason. He's year older than Hunter Clark who is nowhere near the same quality and everyone talks about like he's Leigh Matthews.

And yet freo were not that successful with that midfield when brad was there.
He had a few more touches a game on average.
But he has sung our song more times than freos.
Freo games 54 wins 20
Saints games 61 wins 32

He was able to get out and gallop in the west. We don't even play him on a wing any more and instead use him as a HBF runner who is one of the few that run and provide options. The worst thing about losing him would be that we would nearly stand still and sides would just sit on Sinclair and stop that run.

Hill gets complained about but he's still one of our top 10 players. He's not earning his huge pay packet but you are still losing a good piece and he's often the only run apart from Sinclair. You'd want to steal MacKay off them or something if you are going to hamstring your own list.

If it's a salary dump it's because they want to throw everything at DeGoey hoping that he's a more suitable piece than Hill. Losing Hill and Nas would be a pretty bad double up though and we'd have to find someone to provide some outside run. I guess Amon?
It's probably just a player having coffee with his former coach and that's it.

Think Hill is not adding a whole lot IMO, he had 11 touches on Friday and was poor when the season was on the line and had a similar game against Geelong. I would take a early 2nd rounder if they take on all his salary . Money can be spent and used in much better ways

I think we have Dmac and Wood as wings atm when fit. Coffield will return so yes we can cover Hill. The problem for me is that he’s getting thrown around a fair bit so his position is a little loose. He’s often hff which is sort of the Billings role.
Wouldn’t want to lose both Hill and NAS. There goes our acceleration.

I bemoan Hill more than anyone (pure outside players who are terrified of contact s**t me to tears) but I also completely agree here. He’s been one of our better players for most of the year (the gulf between his best and worst is terrible for a senior experienced player) but losing him wouldn’t be a positive.

I was only pointing out that IF he wants to go and IF north wants him there’s no way we’re agreeing to some of his salary staying with us unless we’re getting something really really good back and that the situation isn’t anything like the Treloar situation.

In short IF it’s happening (and I seriously doubt it is) then North is taking his full salary or they are giving us JHF, LDU, McKay or some combo of their second and Thomas or something ridiculous. So it ain’t happening and that’s a good thing.

Think Hill is not adding a whole lot IMO, he had 11 touches on Friday and was poor when the season was on the line and had a similar game against Geelong. I would take a early 2nd rounder if they take on all his salary . Money can be spent and used in much better ways

He's probably getting sat on though which frees up Sincs or others. He's replaceable but you still have to replace him. Nas is the obvious one but he's possibly gone too. I'd entertain it but you'd look alike a bunch of morons paying the earth for him and then selling him for a second rounder and paying his wage while North jump us with him playing well.

We are one of the most stagnant sides in footy and he is one of the few that runs to provide options. Imagine if Sincs and Hill went we'd might as well be a bunch of witches hats.

He certainly is tradable especially if his wage went to pay DeGoey who is a much more bricks and mortar type of player compared to Hill who is more a marble bench top.

I don't think we are far off being a finals side and I don't think we can afford to drop away for another few years so realistically we need to draft well, chase free agents who cost no picks and if we can move some players out and upgrade while we go we should be competitive for another 5 years.

I really don't think Lethlean has ever planned for a flag, just to be a 5 to 8 side and hopefully keep adding good kids and hopefully build a platform for the next premiership crack further down the track as guys like King get to the mid to late 20s.

It was a real shame we couldn't get it together this year, it's a soft era without a really dominant side.

If we get a 1st Rd pick for him it's not that bad. The only thing is if he wants to go now and Adelaide or Port would give us a 1st now, then do it now rather than likely getting a 2nd next year and losing 1 year development of another player

I guess it depends what we get. If you go back to the draft we are a year less development into the player and also don't know what you're getting. Our drafting has been a terrible for years and now when we find a good one we are about to lose him.

I can't see him getting Port's first to be honest. Perhaps if they get the pick pick 19 for Amon they'd give it up for him. I doubt they would give up pick 8 or what ever they are going to end up with. They know we have to sell and that they are going to get him next year with a years more development anyway.

To me players wanting out is never a good thing.

I think we have Dmac and Wood as wings atm when fit. Coffield will return so yes we can cover Hill. The problem for me is that he’s getting thrown around a fair bit so his position is a little loose. He’s often hff which is sort of the Billings role.
Wouldn’t want to lose both Hill and NAS. There goes our acceleration.

Coffield is more like Wilkie than Hill. DMac and Wood again they aren't the same kind of pure runners. I think if we could get Amon in he would cover the Hill loss and he's only wages and would still be cheaper than Hill.

Hill has only played a couple of games outside the HBF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If a club wanted Hill for a second rounder then you take it I think. We just haven't been able to find a position for him. Back in Coff to take the half back role next year.

I don't really see anyone grabbing him though.

He's probably getting sat on though which frees up Sincs or others. He's replaceable but you still have to replace him. Nas is the obvious one but he's possibly gone too. I'd entertain it but you'd look alike a bunch of morons paying the earth for him and then selling him for a second rounder and paying his wage while North jump us with him playing well.

We are one of the most stagnant sides in footy and he is one of the few that runs to provide options. Imagine if Sincs and Hill went we'd might as well be a bunch of witches hats.

He certainly is tradable especially if his wage went to pay DeGoey who is a much more bricks and mortar type of player compared to Hill who is more a marble bench top.

I don't think we are far off being a finals side and I don't think we can afford to drop away for another few years so realistically we need to draft well, chase free agents who cost no picks and if we can move some players out and upgrade while we go we should be competitive for another 5 years.

I really don't think Lethlean has ever planned for a flag, just to be a 5 to 8 side and hopefully keep adding good kids and hopefully build a platform for the next premiership crack further down the track as guys like King get to the mid to late 20s.

It was a real shame we couldn't get it together this year, it's a soft era without a really dominant side.
Will be interesting to see what way we go this off season, IMO there is about 6 that are untouchable and with rest if it makes us better we do what we have to do. But must use our 1st two picks at the draft

Will be interesting to see what way we go this off season, IMO there is about 6 that are untouchable and with rest if it makes us better we do what we have to do. But must use our 1st two picks at the draft
If we pick two more ready to go guns even better than Owen’s and windy, retain nas, trade in one good mid and fix the forwards functioning we’ll be good

The pies were shopping Treloar from like mid year. We have made absolutely no suggestion we want to trade Hill. You’d think the only way we’d trade him would be as a salary dump (in which case we’re not paying his salary at all) or because North is willing to cough up something pretty decent (in which case sure, pick up some of his salary).
North don't have much in the way of picks (1, 55, 66, 73). Unless they get an end of 1st round priority pick or bring a 2nd rounder in by trading someone of reasonable value (a Zurhaar) then it's sounds pretty unlikely. Although future picks are always a possibility.

If we pick two more ready to go guns even better than Owen’s and windy, retain nas, trade in one good mid and fix the forwards functioning we’ll be good
Sounds pretty simple then 😝

He's copped two heavy tags. Opposition clubs know how important he is... even if our own supporters don't.

North don't have much in the way of picks (1, 55, 66, 73). Unless they get an end of 1st round priority pick or bring a 2nd rounder in by trading someone of reasonable value (a Zurhaar) then it's sounds pretty unlikely. Although future picks are always a possibility.
Would Zurhaar be on our radar? He could really help our forward line. Has kicked 34 goals this year I see.

That's why I've said all along, get an external review done first. We really need a plan and vision document drawn up by someone at arms length. I'd ask David Noble to come in and do it. If he looks on the money offer him the director of football role.

Essendon did a ridiculous internal review and now are about to have the place implode because they are a waste of time and money. I doubt it happens though because there are people there that want to protect their positions and know that the mirror would be held up to them.

We need to strip it all back and spell out where we think we are at now and what the pieces need to move forward are. It might be that we give it one more year patching and if it flops we go hard at a refresh with any pieces that aren't there for a the long term are pushed out.

Unfortunately we are in the worst position of not having much to sell and not having a lot of youth coming through. That was all self inflicted and seeing as Lethlean is the architect and not a stupid man must have been the plan all along.

Would Zurhaar be on our radar? He could really help our forward line. Has kicked 34 goals this year I see.

I'd love Zurhaar but he's probably a bit too much like Membrey and Snags in that mid sized sort of range. I think we need to structure up what we have before we add more pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back