List Mgmt. 2022 Trade Thread - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dustin Fletcher played until 40.

We keep playing Paddy Ryder until we find another Paddy Ryder.

It's a massive call at a critical time for this team: Is a Marshall/Hayes combo enough to win us a premiership or do we need Ryder to go full Clark Keating and only play from round 18 onwards for a year or two.

The third option is we hunt for a replacement, something the club has done a couple of times with approaches to both Sam Draper and Tristian Xerri but who's available?

One of Reilly O'Brien or Keiran Strachan from Adelaide?
Flynn or Briggs from GWS?
Lloyd Meek from the Dockers?

Would having any of them as our #1 ruck, with Marshall playing forward, be any better than the Marshall/Hayes combo?

If I was making the call I think we take a mature tap ruck in the mid season draft to develop with Heath, back in Marshall/Hayes for next year, and hope that we can manage Paddy into September for a shot at the flag.

rynoshark

Rookie
Oct 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's a massive call at a critical time for this team: Is a Marshall/Hayes combo enough to win us a premiership or do we need Ryder to go full Clark Keating and only play from round 18 onwards for a year or two.

The third option is we hunt for a replacement, something the club has done a couple of times with approaches to both Sam Draper and Tristian Xerri but who's available?

Would having any of them as our #1 ruck, with Marshall playing forward, be any better than the Marshall/Hayes combo?

If I was making the call I think we take a mature tap ruck in the mid season draft to develop with Heath, back in Marshall/Hayes for next year, and hope that we can manage Paddy into September for a shot at the flag.

Agree it’s a big decision. Hopefully Ryder goes on. Others likely to disagree, but I think recruiting Lobb (if available) would be a very smart decision. Could partner with King fans a pure tall forward but also pinch hit in Ruck with Marshall when Ryder is out. We are a kicking team and should play to our strengths. That height will stretch teams and I don’t think is unreasonable. Basically, like the team v cats but Lobb in place of Sharman (who still needs time to develop).

Get McBean from the SANFL and we have a Hayes replacement ruck forward.

Get McBean from the SANFL and we have a Hayes replacement ruck forward.

Worth a try for 6 months anyway. He was still 21 when he played his last AFL game.
Lewis Pierce was nearly that old when he played his first game.

Worth a try for 6 months anyway. He was still 21 when he played his last AFL game.
Lewis Pierce was nearly that old when he played his first game.

He was a McBeanpole when he was at the Tigers.

Would he be keen to come on a 6 month contract though, knowing he will likely only get that

a) He would still be a chance for more ( at the Saints or elsewhere ) if he made a good impression.
b) We CAN pay more than the minimum rookie wage if we choose. I guess a lot of it depends how settled he is in his normal life.

Found an internet stalking site that suggests he might be fairly easy going when it comes to moving around.

Lobb just really lacks competitiveness IMO

Although he has played a few good games this year. He seems like the type that needs things going his way.
Would not fit in with the “no oversized, poorly tattooed, weird headed, club hopping, sooky la la player policy”; which the club doesn’t have, but which I do.

So that’s a no from me 👎

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
Lobb, McBean - how many more ruckmen do we need on our list?

Barring some catastrophe, it looks like Ryder will go around again next year, then we'll still have Marshall, Campbell, Hayes and Max Heath.

Unless there's a more than competent 27 yo who is happy to play for minimun chips, we may as well keep Campbell for another year.

Lobb, McBean - how many more ruckmen do we need on our list?

Barring some catastrophe, it looks like Ryder will go around again next year, then we'll still have Marshall, Campbell, Hayes and Max Heath.

Unless there's a more than competent 27 yo who is happy to play for minimun chips, we may as well keep Campbell for another year.

Both are forward rucks more than pure rucks.

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
gringo2011 if I recall correctly, you were very hot on Jayden Stephenson in his draft year (remembering Collingwood selected him with the pick before ours # Hunter Clark).
This week the likely penultimate wooden spooner has dropped him, which leads to the questions.
Do you still believe that he would be a good fit for us?
And if so, at what trade price (knowing he is still carrying that Collingwood contract extension)?

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
gringo2011 if I recall correctly, you were very hot on Jayden Stephenson in his draft year (remembering Collingwood selected him with the pick before ours # Hunter Clark).
This week the likely penultimate wooden spooner has dropped him, which leads to the questions.
And if so, at what trade price (knowing he is still carrying that Collingwood contract extension)?
Stephos off field stuff aside his under 18 and first year we’re absolutely stellar. I’d suggest that in a better culture than Collingwood and a better system than North hes still be producing good footy and would be a lovely fit in our team.

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
Veteran St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2023 10k Posts St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2022 St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Saints Pledge Contributor St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019
May 19, 2013

Saints dropped Nick Dal Santo. Didn't mean we were going to trade him.

He's a potential star playing in a s**t side and looks lazy and unmotivated. Literally the worst choice of clubs to land at. He's a big game player in a rudderless ship. He should have stayed at the Pies but they needed cap space. I think he'd be worth a second rounder now. I'd take him over DeGoey, he's got more development and would flourish in a finals side. The only issue for us is he might be too much like Snags.

SWSainter

Debutant
Apr 1, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Any news on Fisher McAsey? Cant seem to get a game at Adelaide, even this week. Was supposedly looking at returning to Vic last year? Seems like a good fit for us 197cm, 20yo.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Stephos off field stuff aside his under 18 and first year we’re absolutely stellar. I’d suggest that in a better culture than Collingwood and a better system than North hes still be producing good footy and would be a lovely fit in our team.
As you say it just could be as simple as the coaches and the team structure that he is in , playing in a team that is getting belted every week wouldn't be the best way to develop a young player.
Of course if he is on a big long term contract it could of taken the hunger out of his game like a lot of these guys on big contracts seem to do.
I don't know to much about the guy but showed he was a AFL player at the Magpies and for him to be dropped from a poor Nth side he must have problems.

Before we look at pickup a player I feel we need to secure the players on our list now - Marshall , Long , Paton , Higgins , Bytel , Byrnes , Heath , Battle , Highmore , Jones and Ryder who all still don't have a contract for next year.
And even Owens , Milera , Windhager , Sharman , Hunter Clark , Gresham all need to be re-signed before next year if we are to be safe from clubs poaching players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back