List Mgmt. 2022 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Bowes ain't coming unfortunately.
Moving on, I'd target Pick 8 from NM (following JHF inevitable trade).

Clark + Hill for Pick 8 and a F3RP.

I know that makes us immediately worse on-field, but being worse than 9th-12th is a positive in my book.

Force the list to reset now or we'll waste a third year just missing finals and just missing the top talent in the Draft.

Pick 7, 8, 28 to the Draft.
Move Long on, and see what you can do about improving any of those picks with the Long compensation.

We need to stop targeting players and start drafting them because they never come. That’s why I’m still staggered that we’re not trying harder for pick 7, just proves to me again that we have a very ordinary list management team. Chances like this don’t come up very often.
You've explained the reason why in your own post.

A) Players won't come to STKFC
B) We need Bowes to want to come to STKFC to get pick 7

Nothing to do with ordinary list management at all. On field performance has cost us.

We need to stop targeting players and start drafting them because they never come. That’s why I’m still staggered that we’re not trying harder for pick 7, just proves to me again that we have a very ordinary list management team. Chances like this don’t come up very often.
I agree on pick 7. That’s the sort of jackpot trade that only comes around once every few years. Lots of teams who get the multiple high picks use it to completely jumpstart their list

I'm really thinking we need to just go to the draft.
Get a second for Longy if we can. Get another... somehow.

With the Bing cum Jordy bounty we could have offered to pay Bowie out what’s owed in his first two years then offered him another three at a new contract. That would make him happy. Then just send Longy to the Goldie for free. Done deal.
Bowe seems to be the one driving this deal and the Goldie just seem happy to take whatever they get in return.

I agree on pick 7. That’s the sort of jackpot trade that only comes around once every few years. Lots of teams who get the multiple high picks use it to completely jumpstart their list
Gold Coast have dipped into the well time and time again.
Melbourne had to do it 25 times before they struck oil.
WE had multiple firsts:
7 Clark, 8 Coffield.
Didn’t jumpstart our list.

Pick 7 (surely 8 after bris take #1)
Is not going to land us a messiah as some seem to think.

Pick at will likely get a decent player yes but Heppell is the best pick 8 in the last 20 years. Hasn’t exactly dragged his team to finals glory.

In fact Essendon have 3 of the last 12 pick8s in Heppell, Cox, wright.
Still haven’t won a final in 20 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would be disappointed if we put all our eggs in the JDG basket.

I have not been the biggest fan of our trading the last 3 or so year since gags came on board as some others have.

Pretty much got shafted in the Hill deal paying massive over and not getting near enough for Bruce.

Only trades we be involved in is Clark (pick 15 or under) and Hill pick 20 odd.

Hit the draft unless i young gun 22 or under wants to come to us. Topping up has not worked for us at all

Ben Long + 2023 1st to Gold Coast for Pick 5 (via Adelaide) would be nice

Even if we ended up with Pick 13 next year which is unlikely, that would still value him on points at around Pick 29

You'd be pretty peed off if you were the Bombers and Tippa went somewhere else!
They're too busy fighting each other over their appointment of an anti gay, anti abortion, ultra religious type, who was sacked from the NAB after the Banking RC.

All absolutely on point for that festering stink hole of a club.

Essendon hawthorn Geelong.

Touring all 3 today.

No north or us or Brisbane
Yep.

His Uber’s just rocked up

8EeSrLs.jpg

If we lose Long, Hill & Clark I'd expect we'd be bringing in a top 10 pick, a top 25 pick & a top 35 pick.

What we can do with that draft capital is the exciting part...

With Darcy Gardiner re-signing, I'd be asking Brisbane the question about Jack Payne (who's an RFA next year). He's now behind Gardiner, Andrews and Adams & would be perfect for our structure (although I have bagged him in the past, at 22 & 197cm, he's ideal). Wilks can be released to be our main inceptor and Battle can swing forward to support Max. Brisbane's cap must be getting close to chockers by now... especially with Dunkley & Gunston coming in.

I'd also be shaking Richmond's tree & hoping Jack Graham falls out. I know he's rejected Port & the assumption is he will stay at Punt Rd but with their incoming players, someone will need to be sacrificed. He's 24, 97 games & a tough SOB. Would instantly be a leader & compliment our existing & developing mid nicely.

Add those two & hit the draft with two top 20 picks & we're in business.
That little detail actually escaped me…. 🙄😝🤣

If all we're bringing into the club at this stage is pick 10 a few GOPs and some speculative 2nd rounders we are well and truly doomed for 2023
I'd say the hope for 2023 is that those on the list improve. We're not going to be bringing in a star that will instantly improve us that much is obvious.

Let's get real players come to StKilda to play footy get paid and stay away from the limelight. Look at who we recruited from other clubs
Gehrig did it after fishbowl in Perth
Hamel to get away from Carlton
Crouch drugs fish bowl Adelaide
Gardiner drugs fish bowl Perth
Carlisle drugs both ways Essendon
Hall & Lockett moved to a smaller fish bowl in Sydney.

Some players just prefer it that way. Probably that is who we will get not high profile egoics like DeGoey.

We do not have a history of losing players to other clubs with higher profile than us. By all accounts Paddy Ryder loved it here and we loved him being here. Reckon he thought Gees I wish I came here after leaving Essendon rather than Port.

There is a really good inclusive energy with our playing group which I really admire and respect. Not sure the real hard edge Sheedy Clarkson Hird win at all costs mentality works with us. Prefer the Longmire Roos Lyon style hard nosed but inclusive style....all from Sydney....interesting that point. Even Adam Simpson is in that same category.

I once heard a great quote re business. Big Business deals with big name Lawyers Accountants and Advisors small business (us) deal with smaller boutique groups. Maybe we should do the same with recruiting...do more with less and be more nimble and smarter with our dealings.

Look at our champions over last 30 years, Rooey Danny Joey Harves Bourkey Loewe Milne Lenny the list goes on recruited as teens and stayed the journey all playing well over 200 if not 300 games. Even Dal Elvis and BJ you could add to the list. Many more as well...always loved back by our club.

That is and always will be our demographic like it or hate it. We are not Coll Ess Rich Carl with them comes both heavier positive and negative scrutiny and limelight and benefits outside football.

Our best plan will always be recruit well retain them and bring in players who want a low profile.

That's why I want Clark and Coff to stay with a preference that if a deal can be cut for Hill he goes.

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Seems a prevailing attitude that our list management strategy is effectively…

F26D704D-611A-4684-A2F6-88BCB3563128.gif

Frankly, I don’t think it is. I think we DO try, I just think we’re not a particularly attractive destination…

Bowes ain't coming unfortunately.
Moving on, I'd target Pick 8 from NM (following JHF inevitable trade).

Clark + Hill for Pick 8 and a F3RP.

I know that makes us immediately worse on-field, but being worse than 9th-12th is a positive in my book.

Force the list to reset now or we'll waste a third year just missing finals and just missing the top talent in the Draft.

Pick 7, 8, 28 to the Draft.
Move Long on, and see what you can do about improving any of those picks with the Long compensation.
Last time we took 7 and 8 to a draft it didn’t work out so well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back