Training 2022 Training Reports and General Club Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

He might be needed in defence if Pendlebury and N Daicos play more midfield roles, but the thought of him rotating through the quick Cameron, McCarthy and Lohmann is rather nauseating.
Not sure many players can compete against bullshit free kicks from the maggots.

Round 6 Training report: April 19th, 2022.

Overcast and drizzily morning. Rocked up just after 9 and there wasn't really too many people there. Annabelle, and there was a cameraman; so we assumed training was happening. I wasn't sure, given the long break between games I wasn't sure how the sessions would operate with the first day back from the easter break.
There was also a kid and his father nearby anxiously waiting the session to begin.

It was around 9:30 the Cameraman began to pack up, and let us know they were training at 12pm instead. This may have been because they would have had to do their review of the game.

I did notice there was some players crossed the oval as I was arriving like they were leaving, and thought... that was odd. I couldn't day who they were too, I didn't get that close. But clearly players who played in the vfl.

So 12 it was. Decided to head to the city for a walk to fill in some time.

Arrived back at 11:30. The same people were about. The cafe was littered with some staff, and players. I saw Lippa. He clearly must have just did his Anzac Day guernsey photoshoot. Haha
Some players then took the field outside.

Sa Roughy leave the club in casual clothes, heading for his career. Thought, okay.. he must be taking it easy. But we know why he didn't train. Unfortunate, but oh well. Its a minor injury at least.

No Howe.

And this was just the AFL squad. Plus Beggy, Murphy, who mentioned to me because of his concussion he was getting some catch up work in. Ginni and McCreery were also training.

No Howe though. Apparantely absent due to illness. Hopefully its not Covid.

So basically the players that trained was:

• Lippa
  • De Goey (wearing a hoodie/jacket)
  • IQ
  • grundy (took me a while to recognize him, was wearing a black jacket,)
  • J.Daicos
  • Noble
  • Wilson
  • Adams (no strapping)
  • Cameron
  • Kreuger
  • Cal
  • Sidey (didnt see him originally but discovered him late in the session, hiding with a cap and jacket)
  • Crisp
  • reef
  • Murphy
  • Moore
  • McCreery
  • WHE
  • Nick D
  • Maynard
  • Begg
  • Checkers
  • Madgen
  • Cox

+ Dean and Johnson did rehab stuff

They started off with a warm up, then did some small group skills drills. Followed up by some ball movement. Goal kicking for different players. At the very end, they did some conditioning by being instructed to do sprints of 20-30 metres. Similar to what they would do in the pre-season set out by Wade.

Darcy Cameron got through this session, and he looked fine. And going by the injury report, he should be set to be available. Even in the rain, he had no issue with the footy skills.
Cox on the other hand, struggled in the rain. As sometimes happens with big men handling those conditions. Some of you may have noticed this when I posted the video on my twitter account this afternoon.

Ash and Dean focused their rebab programs in today's sessions on the bikes. Both still some way away as they battle through their own individual injuries.
Nathan Murphy seems to be progressing, as he did a decent running sesison for majority of the session with Nick Daicos, who too just did running. I noticed this is not the first time they get Nick to just run. I think it's more about loading his conditioning, and so his body is ready for the later sessions as we get closer to game day.
Ginnivan joined them for a brief period at certain parts of the session. Moore did a little of this as well. Possibly Beggy as well before re-joining the group for the drills.

Ginnivan did extra work after the boys went inside. I left, went into the shop. Came out and then he was still training, only finishing up. He wanted to get some more work in given its been a long time between games for him.

Get ready for Howe out with Covid and be another defender short.

jck.gif

Tomorrow.

April School Holidays Open Training​

Bring the family down to our School Holiday Open Training on Thursday!
We’re excited to be welcoming fans back to training and have the opportunity to get your guernsey signed by your favourite player.
Get down to the AIA Centre to watch a the men’s AFL squad complete one of their main training sessions ahead of facing Essendon on ANZAC Day.
Amenities can be accessed at the east end of the oval (Batman Ave end).
What’s on:
  • Giveaways
  • Face painting
  • Meet the Collingwood Mascots – Jock and Maggie
  • Glasshouse Eatery
  • Collingwood Superstore
  • Membership enquiries at the AIA Centre reception
  • Signing session post-training
Date: Thursday 21 April
Time: 9.45am till 11.45am

Open training - Round 6. April 21st, 2022.

I was a bit concerned about the lack of crowd when I arrived, just started to feel like a nornal training session -- it was a bit drizzy; but it was about 9:30 when the crowd packed right in. Tons of kids everywhere, which was nice for them to see the boys. Its been years; pre-covid since the club has been able to do this and the signing session post-training. My friend has been trying to meet lippa and get her jumper signed for 5 years, but keep missing him. He went to the other side of the ground when signing haha. Hopefully Saturday for her. I'll call him over lol

From a training perspective, its not what you'd call an extensive session. Definitely mid-week type..which is basically what it was, given the main session is on Saturday.

The session consisted of your usual things.

Warm up.
Drills.
Skills/kicking
Little match play which was grid type element.
ruck work for (begg/grundy/cameron and cox)

No Kreuger -- which fly says he is just ill. Not covid
No Draper or Murley

Some boys in black you might not have expected. For most of the session. Some players swapped for the match play drill probably to even out the numbers for specific roles.

But

Kelly.
Henry.
Cameron.

In black.

It may not mean anything. Usually doesn't until the main session, but these were in black for the first hour.

• Lippa
  • JDG
  • IQ
  • Grundy
  • J-Daicos
  • Noble
  • Pendles
  • Adams
  • Cameron
  • Henry
  • Cal
  • Kelly
  • Sidey
  • Crisp
  • Reef
  • Moore
  • McCreery
  • Ginnivan
  • WHE
  • Nick D
  • Howe
  • Begg (clearly not ready, so probably from a numbers pov)
  • Checkers
  • Madgen

In the second half, lots of seniors changed jumpers. Bianco and Macrae were then in the black.

Lots of different drills, ground balls, kicking in long distance on the run. Tackling. Transition.

Training report: Main session - Round 6. Anzac Round.

Lovely morning for training. Wasn't too cold, and the sun was out, so was nice; especially as the morning wore on.

They started early. Like before 9. I had just gotten to Jolimont when a friend sent me a message they were already out. But this happens, sometimes they can start at 9, or before.

Only Jamie was missing, whom I saw coming out of the club; I imagine after doing some rehab. Didn't seem to be in a sling that I saw, so that's something. Improvement.

Draper. Murley were back from whatever reason they were absent on Thursday.

Roughy and Johnson were doing a fair amount of running. Both looked to be tracking well.
Dean was on the bikes doing what he can until his foot fully heals.

Murphy was doing some of the drills.. as he makes his way back from injury. Doesn't look like he was too far away.

What I like about the match play they do in the main sessions, the black use the white team as the opposition (say, essendon this week) so that they would then implement senarios they would attempt to employ in the match play to which they think Essendon would play like.
For example, Bolton saying "We know they are s**t on the wings" haha.

Team A (Black) v Team B (White)

Blacks;

• Lippa
  • JDG
  • IQ
  • Grundy
  • J-Daicos
  • Noble
  • Pendles
  • Adams
  • Kreuger
  • Sidebottom
  • Crisp
  • Reef
  • Moore
  • McCreery
  • Ginnivan
  • Nick D
  • Maynard
  • Howe
  • Mihochek

Whites;

• Tyler B
  • Bianco
  • Wilson
  • Cameron
  • Henry
  • Macrae
  • Draper
  • Kelly
  • Ruscoe
  • Poulter
  • Murley
  • McMahon
  • WHE
  • Chugg
  • Harrison
  • Begg
  • Madgen
  • Cox

There were some VFL players (Lane, Tardrew, Glover, Wallace) to help out with the numbers as they would have done 18 v 18

But overall, the black team you can clearly see was the team that was gonna play (plus couple extras, which we know as Madgen, Cameron and WHE from the white team)

Prior to this, there was some ball drills. Focusing on D50 stoppages. Focusing on hand to kick ratio as well. Kicking long to a teammate in space.

Post the match play, they did their own thing which is when you generally knew things were wrapping up. They probably finished 11am or just before, which in all went for 2 hrs, pretty standard for in-season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SO. I assumed today was one of their main training sessions -- I was wrong.

Arrived at 9am.

What time did they come out? 2:30.

Turns out it was more of a flush day. Suppose makes sense, so maybe they are only doing 1 main session (friday) then captains run on Saturday. Not sure whether they'll train tomorrow AND Friday.

I saw the boys arrive.

Pendles and Nick arrived together, Pendles carrying a slab of drinks.
Beggy/Harrison
Jamie/Darcy
Cameron/Wilson
Ginni arrived at lunchtime
Macrae/McMahon/Chuggy

Some arrived alone. Madgen. Noble. Josh. Draper. Murley.

Not sure if some car pool or some just happen to arrive at the same time lol

The moment I saw Wilson, I knew there was something wrong with him. He seemed to be limping. He came and went within an hour or two.

Kreuger as well. Arrived and then left with a bag (like from the shop) in hand.

Jamie left early as well with a trainer, looked possibly to get a check up on his shoulder.

Once they came out on the track, there was no sign of Adams (but I know he was there), Cox or De Goey. The rest that left early, didn't return so didn't train.
It only lasted an hour. More footy touch, and some ball work, doing some kicking to targets. Using the coridoor.

They sung happy birthday to Cal.

Then after that, there was some goal kicking with some of the group. Some had already gone inside whom wouldn't need to participate.

But they split into two groups, then selected 2 players from each group (Lippa/Macrae and McCreery and Ginnivan)
these players would have to hold the ball high over their head
Spin around 5x then stop.
Then kick for goal.

Lippa missed.
Macrae got it.
McCreery got it.

Ginni...

They other team booed him as he began to kick, he hit the post, then the group cheered haha

Other players then began to do it. They made Cal spin 15x times given its his birthday, but he was so dizzy after it, he just collapsed on the ground before even kicking the ball.

The group then made their way inside slowly. Some players remained and did a couple things.

Last edited:

Arrived at 9am.

Turns out it was more of a flush day. Suppose makes sense, so maybe they are only doing 1 main session (friday) then captains run on Saturday. Not sure whether they'll train tomorrow AND Friday.

I saw the boys arrive.

Beggy/Harrison
Jamie/Darcy
Cameron/Wilson
Macrae/McMahon/Chuggy

The moment I saw Wilson, I knew there was something wrong with him. He seemed to be limping. He came and went within an hour or two.

Jamie left early as well with a trainer, looked possibly to get a check up on his shoulder.

Once they came out on the track, there was no sign of Adams (but I know he was there), Cox or De Goey. The rest that left early, didn't return so didn't train.
It only lasted an hour. More footy touch, and some ball work, doing some kicking to targets. Using the coridoor.

Then after that, there was some goal kicking with some of the group. Some had already gone inside whom wouldn't need to participate.

But they split into two groups, then selected 2 players from each group (Lippa/Macrae and McCreery and Ginnivan)
Then kick for goal.

Lippa missed.
Macrae got it.
McCreery got it.

Ginni...

They other team booed him as he began to kick, he hit the post, then the group cheered haha

Other players then began to do it. They made Cal spin 15x times given its his birthday, but he was so dizzy after it, he just collapsed on the ground before even kicking the ball.

The group then made their way inside slowly. Some players remained and did a couple things.

Just curious, does that mean you waited around for 5.5 hours? 😳

Arrived at 9am.

I saw the boys arrive.

Beggy/Harrison
Jamie/Darcy
Cameron/Wilson
Macrae/McMahon/Chuggy

Then kick for goal.

Lippa missed.
Macrae got it.
McCreery got it.

Ginni...

Sounds like there’s a good sense of fun in the group this year, under new coaching regime. More enjoyment and freedom of expression (along with all the necessary hard work) will make for a happy and united team.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sounds like there’s a good sense of fun in the group this year, under new coaching regime. More enjoyment and freedom of expression (along with all the necessary hard work) will make for a happy and united team.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
So long as freedom of expression has boundaries.

ETA: BEGGYYY debut.

Training report: Round 7. Main session. April 29th, 2022.

A couple of notable absences this morning.

De Goey
WHE

Who we now know have Gastro. Terrible terrible thing. But if they feel okay in the next 24 hrs, they'll play Fly said.

Once match play started, the team was split into Team A v Team B.

Black:

• Lippa
  • IQ
  • Tyler B
  • J. Daicos
  • Noble
  • Pendles
  • Adams
  • Cameron
  • Cal B
  • Sidey
  • Crisp
  • Reef
  • Moore
  • McCreery
  • Ginnivan
  • Nick D
  • Maynard
  • Howe
  • Beggy
  • Checkers

White
  • Bianco
  • Henry
  • Macrae
  • Draper
  • Kelly
  • Ruscoe
  • Poulter
  • Murley
  • Harrison
  • McMahon
  • Chugg
  • Cox

Kreuger was walking around for a bit. Clearly pre-surgery. In a training top. Kicking the ball a round.

Charlie Dean and Johnston were doing work on the bikes.

Murphy i think is back in full training, or at least most of it.

No Grundy, of course. Of Elliott. or Wilson.

Roughy did a fair amount of stuff. He doesn't look that far away.

All the signs are there for Beggy debuting. The black. Doing work with the main mids (Crisp. Lippa. Adams)

Cox was mostly in the ruck v Cameron.

I don't see Bianco playing. If there is a replacement for Kreuger, I think ut'll be Henry. As Fly said they wont play both Cox AND Begg, as they want a bit of speed and they usually like mutiple good games to promote a player.

Chuggy definitely has changed roles to a midfielder. I like it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back