Training 2022 Training Reports and General Club Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

I get the feeling they’re going to try to use Carmichael to partly replace Adams’ output, and rotate him out for breaks with McCreery getting some CBA’s. Will make for interesting watching, especially if McCreery gets to wrap up Oliver or Petracca in the middle.

#thoughtsandprayers

Makes sense with Adams out to use De Goey, Elliott, Carmichael and McCreery as the forwards getting centre rotations.

I’m not saying it didn’t happen, but roughly 2.5x body weight is massive for an AFL player rehabbing an ACL at that age… TBH it’s a huge weight for any AFL player at any age or injury status. For me if he was doing that back then he should be capable of a lot more today. I reckon Ricky90 (if my memory of the JT and Keeffe story is bang on) was our resident weights expert? If so any thoughts.
Apologies for the late response here - good memory too, that was years ago. Sheesh.

Very surprising if Petracca could manage that at 19 during rehab, but I'd actually be inclined to believe it. My opinion of box squats is that they're a little easier to sound impressive. They're a functional squat, designed for top end explosion, if he did a traditional body builder style squat (ass to grass) it would be a different story.

Apologies for the late response here - good memory too, that was years ago. Sheesh.

Very surprising if Petracca could manage that at 19 during rehab, but I'd actually be inclined to believe it. My opinion of box squats is that they're a little easier to sound impressive. They're a functional squat, designed for top end explosion, if he did a traditional body builder style squat (ass to grass) it would be a different story.
No need to apologise for the response time! The posters that are subject matter expert’s (TRS injuries, Sideswipe law, Pie4life draft, Queeniehearts governance etc.) and your opinions stuck out to me throughout that Essendon/ JT and Keeffe period. I’ll now be adding Loki to the list.

My thinking was along the same lines as yours in terms of it being surprising in context, but having seen it in the vid Loki shared its impressive. There aren’t many AFL footballers capable of it given the running loads, IMO.

I have had a little think about how I expected us to go this year compared to how we have gone. I wasn't in the "bottom 4" camp, but I posted seceral times about our paper thin list. I thought we might scrape into the 8 if we got through the season with no injuries to key players. I expected us to start OK, then see the hope drop off as the injuries hit our best, as always happens to us.

It didn't pan out that way. The injuries came alright, to Adams, Roughead, Grundy and also to our great hopes Krueger, Dean and McInnes. It looked dire. But those still standing held their form and many newcomers performed well ahead of hopes. Ginnivan, Cameron, McCreery, Henry and now Johnson and Carnichael have stepped up, while Cox and Murphy have resurrected careers headed for the scrapheap. Sidebottom is reborn, Josh Daicos has become the player we hoped but didn't expect that he would. His brother looks even better that the best anyone hoped for. And Pendlebury has found a way to be more effective with fewer possessions as he has slowed. I didn't predict any of that.

I will be disappointed if we stumble at or before the final hurdle, but this team has given me a season to replay over and over (I keep them all) in the coming years when things do not go so well. Thanks Collingwood.

Training report: Round 22 - v Swans. Main session. Friday August 12th, 2022.

The sickies were back this morning. WHE also.

Absent players:
Dean
Grundy
Harrison
Tyler B

Rehab group:
Adams
Kreuger
Reef
Wilson

Kreuger started to get involved in some footy drills, but mainly did a chunk of stuff by himself. Reef and Wilson did a running program. Adams, the same. He did have a chat to the midfield group as a whole at the end of the session as they were doing some centre bounce stuff.

Teams --

Black:

• Lippa
  • JDG
  • Elliott
  • JDaicos
  • Bianco
  • Noble
  • Cameron
  • Kelly
  • Sidebottom
  • Crisp
  • Moore
  • McCreery
  • WHE
  • NDaicos
  • Maynard
  • Howe
  • Johnson
  • Mihocek

White:

• IQ
  • Henry
  • Cal B
  • Draper
  • Ruscoe
  • Poulter
  • Murley
  • Murphy
  • McMahon
  • Ginni
  • Chugg
  • Begg
  • Madgen
  • Cox
(plus couple VFL boys -- Glover + Tardrew)

The boys worked on a fair bit of stuff.
  • Inside 50's.
  • Pressure
  • Ground balls.
  • Marking and tackling.
The usual fundamental stuff they have done weke to week all year.

The sick boys (Beau, Jamie, chuggy, draper, carmichael) all trained well. They seem to be over their flu. WHE also trained well, not appearing to have any effects from the corky he sustained.

Howe also trained, after not participating in tuesdays session. Looks fine to me as well. There probably won't be too many chances. 1 at most I'd imagine. Fly indicated minimal.

I don't think we should look too much into Ginni and Cox in white. The ones that garnered my interest was Kelly and Bianco in black. I imagine one plays. One is the sub.

But otherwise, everyone looked in good spirits. Everyone looked pretty fit.

Beggy was more used as a forward, which seems to be the direction they are going with him. Pinch hit ruck, but mostly forward. Didn't do any ruck work during match sim. That was more cameron/cox.

Lippa started at half back. I got confused, maybe this was to swap with say nick or pendles to go into the midfield. for a time. But then it sorted itself out and he was back to his natural habitat.

Sidebiottom spend more time on ball, with Bianco on the wing.

Draper spent 100% time on ball. Don't think I saw him down back once.

Training report: Round 22 - v Swans. Main session. Friday August 12th, 2022.

The sickies were back this morning. WHE also.

Absent players:
Dean
Grundy
Harrison
Tyler B

Rehab group:
Adams
Kreuger
Reef
Wilson

Kreuger started to get involved in some footy drills, but mainly did a chunk of stuff by himself. Reef and Wilson did a running program. Adams, the same. He did have a chat to the midfield group as a whole at the end of the session as they were doing some centre bounce stuff.

Teams --

Black:

• Lippa
  • JDG
  • Elliott
  • JDaicos
  • Bianco
  • Noble
  • Cameron
  • Kelly
  • Sidebottom
  • Crisp
  • Moore
  • McCreery
  • WHE
  • NDaicos
  • Maynard
  • Howe
  • Johnson
  • Mihocek

White:

• IQ
  • Henry
  • Cal B
  • Draper
  • Ruscoe
  • Poulter
  • Murley
  • Murphy
  • McMahon
  • Ginni
  • Chugg
  • Begg
  • Madgen
  • Cox
(plus couple VFL boys -- Glover + Tardrew)

The boys worked on a fair bit of stuff.
  • Inside 50's.
  • Pressure
  • Ground balls.
  • Marking and tackling.
The usual fundamental stuff they have done weke to week all year.

The sick boys (Beau, Jamie, chuggy, draper, carmichael) all trained well. They seem to be over their flu. WHE also trained well, not appearing to have any effects from the corky he sustained.

Howe also trained, after not participating in tuesdays session. Looks fine to me as well. There probably won't be too many chances. 1 at most I'd imagine. Fly indicated minimal.

I don't think we should look too much into Ginni and Cox in white. The ones that garnered my interest was Kelly and Bianco in black. I imagine one plays. One is the sub.

But otherwise, everyone looked in good spirits. Everyone looked pretty fit.

Beggy was more used as a forward, which seems to be the direction they are going with him. Pinch hit ruck, but mostly forward. Didn't do any ruck work during match sim. That was more cameron/cox.

Lippa started at half back. I got confused, maybe this was to swap with say nick or pendles to go into the midfield. for a time. But then it sorted itself out and he was back to his natural habitat.

Sidebiottom spend more time on ball, with Bianco on the wing.

Draper spent 100% time on ball. Don't think I saw him down back once.

Thanks for his Jen! I’m sure you’ve allayed some of our fears for a few outs! Does adams have a chance of a return for finals do you think?

Appreciate the training report Jen, and your absolute dedication to the cause in travelling up to Sydney to support the boys. Did you get a sense that Kelly will be included in the team and if so, I wonder who he will replace? Sounds like WHE has pulled up well.

EDIT - just realised the players haven't yet flown up to Sydney; they do that tomorrow. The training session was at Olympic Park. You're not as dedicated as I imagined Jen, but I still appreciate your informative training reports :)

Last edited:
Training report - Round 23 - August 17th, 2022.

Pretty much a full squad this morning.

Only those missing:

• Grundy
  • Kelly

There were a select group who were on light running duties.
  • Pendles
  • Nick
  • Murphy
  • Mihocek

It was good to see Wilson doing some footy drills. Reef is amping up his involvement as well.
Then De Goey and Adams were doing their own straight line running as they ramp up their individual programs.

I was surprised to see Ginni doing so much work. You wouldn't have known he was subbed off by a suspected hamstring, but he trained fully, and looks to be in the frame to play this week.

They did some drills. from contest work, to ground balls. There was also a running/speed test they started training with.
Centre bounce stuff with the mids later in the session.
Bit of match play, but not like it will be on Friday, just more from F50 onwards stuff.

Oh. Tyler Brown is back. Did his first running session with Harrison today. It was nice to see him return from the land of unknown.. And he is finally in the injury report.
Also send Harvey to Germany already.

Teams:

Black -

• Lippa
  • Elliott
  • JDaicos
  • Bianco
  • Noble
  • Cameron
  • Kreuger
  • Sidebottom
  • Crisp
  • Moore
  • McCreery
  • WHE
  • Ginnivan
  • Maynard
  • Johnson

White --

• Henry
  • Cal Brown
  • Macrae
  • Draper
  • Ruscoe
  • Poulter
  • Reef
  • Murley
  • McMahon
  • Chugg
  • Begg
  • Madgen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Training report - Round 23. Main session. Friday August 19th.

What a lovely morning it was. I decided to stand on the AAMI park side of the ground for a change. Bumped into someone I know from twitter, and we watched the session together. Was quite solid. Not overly stressful or anything. but enough to get the work in.

Rehab group:

Tyler & Harrison
did some running around the oval together at a gentle pace. Tyler back from his fatigue illness, and Harrison making slow progress from his hammy.

Dean was on the Bike and did some boxing across the other side near the glasshouse.

Reef, Kreuger and Wilson also did their own fitness program.

Jordy & Ginni did a fitness test in front of Wade and passed with flying colours. They then had a very solid session on the track. Casting no doubts either of them isn't fit. They looked right to go IMO.

Apart from a couple drills, they went straight into match sim mode.

Black team:

• Lippa
  • JDG
  • IQ
  • Elliott
  • Jaicos
  • Noble
  • Pendles
  • Macrae
  • Sidebottom
  • Crisp
  • Moore
  • McCreery
  • WHE
  • Naicos
  • Maynard
  • Howe
  • Johnson
  • Mihocek
  • Cox

White team:

• Bianco
  • Bianco
  • Cameron
  • Henry
  • Cal B
  • Draper
  • Kelly
  • Ruscoe
  • Poulter
  • Murley
  • Ginni
  • Murphy
  • McMahon
  • Chugg
  • Beggy
  • Madgen

Some B22 were in white, but that's for a numbers pov, for pending a fitness test.
A couple VFL listed players were included for match sim/top up for a numbers aspect. I believe it was Tardrew, Glover and Molloy.

Post match sim. Some players did goal kicking. Some did their own thing with marking. The midfield did centre stuff. The starting midfield for Team A was:

Fin.
JDG
Pendes

It was sometimes flipped to include Lippa or JD
Even Ginni on the white team had some centre bounce moments.
Lippa was probably the standout performer this morning. He was mr everywhere. There wasn't anywhere he wasn't. Mid. then he floated up forward and floated back to help out defence. Whenever you looked, there he was.

Fin to me is playing. You couldn't wipe the smile off his space all morning. I'd be shocked if he wasn't selected in half an hour, so I'm expecting him to be included, for Carmy. De Goey for Bianco.

fyi: Fin wearing 19 not 18 this morning haha his proper jumper must need washing

Training report - Round 23. Main session. Friday August 19th.

What a lovely morning it was. I decided to stand on the AAMI park side of the ground for a change. Bumped into someone I know from twitter, and we watched the session together. Was quite solid. Not overly stressful or anything. but enough to get the work in.

Rehab group:

Tyler & Harrison
did some running around the oval together at a gentle pace. Tyler back from his fatigue illness, and Harrison making slow progress from his hammy.

Dean was on the Bike and did some boxing across the other side near the glasshouse.

Reef, Kreuger and Wilson also did their own fitness program.

Jordy & Ginni did a fitness test in front of Wade and passed with flying colours. They then had a very solid session on the track. Casting no doubts either of them isn't fit. They looked right to go IMO.

Apart from a couple drills, they went straight into match sim mode.

Black team:

• Lippa
  • JDG
  • IQ
  • Elliott
  • Jaicos
  • Noble
  • Pendles
  • Macrae
  • Sidebottom
  • Crisp
  • Moore
  • McCreery
  • WHE
  • Naicos
  • Maynard
  • Howe
  • Johnson
  • Mihocek
  • Cox

White team:

• Bianco
  • Bianco
  • Cameron
  • Henry
  • Cal B
  • Draper
  • Kelly
  • Ruscoe
  • Poulter
  • Murley
  • Ginni
  • Murphy
  • McMahon
  • Chugg
  • Beggy
  • Madgen

Some B22 were in white, but that's for a numbers pov, for pending a fitness test.
A couple VFL listed players were included for match sim/top up for a numbers aspect. I believe it was Tardrew, Glover and Molloy.

Post match sim. Some players did goal kicking. Some did their own thing with marking. The midfield did centre stuff. The starting midfield for Team A was:

Fin.
JDG
Pendes

It was sometimes flipped to include Lippa or JD
Even Ginni on the white team had some centre bounce moments.
Lippa was probably the standout performer this morning. He was mr everywhere. There wasn't anywhere he wasn't. Mid. then he floated up forward and floated back to help out defence. Whenever you looked, there he was.

Fin to me is playing. You couldn't wipe the smile off his space all morning. I'd be shocked if he wasn't selected in half an hour, so I'm expecting him to be included, for Carmy. De Goey for Bianco.

fyi: Fin wearing 19 not 18 this morning haha his proper jumper must need washing

You’d think Macrae’s in then

In the absence of Jen2310 I’ve found one of her friends who went and kindly tweeted a report.

Some good news on Tay, he seems fit.

Cheers for sharing that.

I could've sworn that Taylor Adams plans were to just do running and agility throughout this week and then look to train fully next week.

Sounding a lot like he will be available.

Cheers for sharing that.

I could've sworn that Taylor Adams plans were to just do running and agility throughout this week and then look to train fully next week.

Sounding a lot like he will be available.
Taytay may not be the most skilled player in the in the club but he's one fkin tough little bulldog.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back