Training 2022 Training Reports and General Club Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL headline was misleading. He'll miss the rest of pre-season training.
Nope. Club has said he’ll be back when training resumes in January.

Fear not, pendles was at training.

On the cross trainer bike. Did a heavy load of training with reef and McMahon. No moon boot for pendles

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It's a hairline fracture. It will be impact related so basically no running for a month or so. He should be fine.

Pendles injury is going to get blown completely out of proportion on here anyway so do we think we could at least report it correctly as the rest of 2021? Or about 6 training sessions?
Not a huge problem at his age. He knows his body and what is required.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From another site.

Date Posted: 13:17 06/12/21 Mon
Author: Annabelle
Subject: Notes from our first pre-Christmas training session involving all players.

Was the first at training apart from a few trainers who were arranging cones in preparation for the players. Sky was powder-blue with a dusting of white clouds and a healthy breeze kept the heat at bay. The first group dribbled out around 9.15, closely followed by the rest of those who trained in some shape or form today. I wonder if this is due to the new fitness regime. Previously the players did their stretching routines and laps of the oval shortly after the whole team was on deck. Quite often many players who were out quite early playing kick to kick before the formal session commenced. It seems from chatting to a training regular, that they may now warm up inside and Jarryd Waite has changed how they warm up on the arena.
It appears to be more kinetic with the players forming three groups. One exercised along the fence with high lifts and holds. Waite barked at them to lift and hold and was placing an emphasis on the glutes and calves. They rotated to an activity involving carrying weights while in formation maintaining the lift and hold movements as they progressed across the ground, this time of course with no fence to hang onto. The third station was paired exercise which was resistance training with each straining against the other via the stretchy rope.

What stood out after seeing many years of Kevin White transition to Waite, was that there was more energy in all of the drills. During the kicking and marking ones, players were instructed to mark turn and layoff. It appeared that looking backwards and sideways was off-limits and may be being trained out of them to dull the instincts which appeared to be so much part of our DNA in recent times. It’s the antithesis of Mayne who practised his backwards inclination during training prior to showcasing it during matches.

There were a few missing from the session today – Henry, Ash Johnson, Ginnivan and McCreery. They could have been working indoors. Faye also did not make an appearance. Of course JDG who’s not allowed to attend the club in any manner was absent.

Meanwhile Reef alternated between the stationary bike and roping. Pendles (will miss the rest of the sessions prior to Christmas with hairline fracture of his leg), was also sighted pedalling the said bike. McMahon spent some time in this area partaking of light duties as he was sporting a moon boot, courtesy of a training incident last Friday.,

Prior to the sequence of drills there was a beep test. Non-participants were Josh Daicos, Adams, Crisp, Ruscoe, Chugg and Checkers. Of these players, Checkers, Crisp and Ruscoe joined in general drills while the others did not. Daics and Chugg did work quite intensively though running tireless throughout most of the long session.

Waite did not let the beep test go to its denouement, but it was pleasing to see most were still there as the running speed hit twenty. The taller players, including Kreuger, were first to drop out, along with Draper but when the proceedings were called to a halt, Lipinski, IQ, Tyler Brown, Bianco, Sidey, Kelly, Dean and Nick Daicos were still going strongly, with Lipinski perhaps looking the most comfortable which augurs well for his endurance as a mid. Kelly and Dean were also looking relaxed as key position type height which indicates their excellent tanks too. Both Jetta and Selwood looked in good nick as evidenced by how they performed in this test.

Watching some of the newbies, Murley generally impressed with his kicking and he appears to move well. He will wear 27, as Poulter has swapped to his favourite #24. Nick Daics looking wonderful in his father’s erstwhile number moved with celerity and generally hit targets with ease. During a match sim which was mainly based around skills and ball movement, he seemed to be stationed in the defensive area. Draper wore the yellow cap to denote that he’s yet to be in full training but he looked quite good in terms of the way he moved and his kicking style. Begg notably showed his good skills back in July after he was first drafted, but have noted that his dexterity for a big guy is impressive in terms of how deftly he handles ground balls and so on. Harvey Harrison was also there and he has a bit of dash about him.

During this match simulation where there was little emphasis on tackling etc., there were certainly a few miskicks and the occasional dropped marks, including Murley, but there was clear evidence that the ball moved around perceptibly quicker and this is obviously in response to new instructions. All the coaches were pro active in issuing orders as the players partook of this activity and at times, some of the players had individual chats with the coaches. Was disappointed a couple of times regarding Bianco’s miskicks, but at other times he nailed it. Kelly looks to have built up and he looked athletic during the drills and pseudo match-play,

There were a few tackling drills which were effected at greater intensity than has often been the case in the past. Selwood used to get serious with the newbies but there was sometimes a sense of going through the motions with these types of exercises. Waite means business – tackling is meaningful and for real.

Crisp, Elliott, Moore and Grundy attended formal training for the first time this pre-season and all looked in fine fettle. Jamie looks in superb condition. Grundy appeared to be labouring less in the beep test than he usually showed during the time trial, while Moore looked extremely fit and he moved and performed sharply in all the drills with excellent marking and kicking. Crisp was as indefatigable as ever apart from his non-appearance in the beep test.
One gets the feeling from watching training today that there will be a much greater emphasis on tackling and swift ball movement leading up to the matches. The players, many of whom have endured a number of pre-seasons should benefit from the change in this training regimen. I noticed some of them listening intently, including the likes of Grundy, to explanations of the new drills etc. I should whet their appetite for the real thing given that rehearsing the same routines can often induce inertia.

Licuria and Taz were spotted arriving and walking into the pavilion. The guys stripping their shirts off to change vests for the match sim phase was a highlight for the onlookers throning the oval. The ‘crowd’ certainly did grow and included some fans bedecked in their Collingwood guernseys and other Magpie attire.

BTW I took a rare day off work (all my senior classes finished last week) to view this most important session!

I think he should pass the baton on anyhow. Not because I think he’s a bad Captain but I think it would be better for him and club to play out his twilight years without the responsibility of being Captain. To just enjoy playing footy.

That should be Pendles choice to make. If he's still keen to be Captain i'd let him be.

That should be Pendles choice to make. If he's still keen to be Captain i'd let him be.
I reckon it needs to be the coach and his coaching team who decide how the captain is appointed. I have no problem with Pendles continuing on but if McRae prefers a change surely thats the way to go

From another site.

Date Posted: 13:17 06/12/21 Mon
Author: Annabelle
Subject: Notes from our first pre-Christmas training session involving all players.

Was the first at training apart from a few trainers who were arranging cones in preparation for the players. Sky was powder-blue with a dusting of white clouds and a healthy breeze kept the heat at bay. The first group dribbled out around 9.15, closely followed by the rest of those who trained in some shape or form today. I wonder if this is due to the new fitness regime. Previously the players did their stretching routines and laps of the oval shortly after the whole team was on deck. Quite often many players who were out quite early playing kick to kick before the formal session commenced. It seems from chatting to a training regular, that they may now warm up inside and Jarryd Waite has changed how they warm up on the arena.
It appears to be more kinetic with the players forming three groups. One exercised along the fence with high lifts and holds. Waite barked at them to lift and hold and was placing an emphasis on the glutes and calves. They rotated to an activity involving carrying weights while in formation maintaining the lift and hold movements as they progressed across the ground, this time of course with no fence to hang onto. The third station was paired exercise which was resistance training with each straining against the other via the stretchy rope.

What stood out after seeing many years of Kevin White transition to Waite, was that there was more energy in all of the drills. During the kicking and marking ones, players were instructed to mark turn and layoff. It appeared that looking backwards and sideways was off-limits and may be being trained out of them to dull the instincts which appeared to be so much part of our DNA in recent times. It’s the antithesis of Mayne who practised his backwards inclination during training prior to showcasing it during matches.

There were a few missing from the session today – Henry, Ash Johnson, Ginnivan and McCreery. They could have been working indoors. Faye also did not make an appearance. Of course JDG who’s not allowed to attend the club in any manner was absent.

Meanwhile Reef alternated between the stationary bike and roping. Pendles (will miss the rest of the sessions prior to Christmas with hairline fracture of his leg), was also sighted pedalling the said bike. McMahon spent some time in this area partaking of light duties as he was sporting a moon boot, courtesy of a training incident last Friday.,

Prior to the sequence of drills there was a beep test. Non-participants were Josh Daicos, Adams, Crisp, Ruscoe, Chugg and Checkers. Of these players, Checkers, Crisp and Ruscoe joined in general drills while the others did not. Daics and Chugg did work quite intensively though running tireless throughout most of the long session.

Waite did not let the beep test go to its denouement, but it was pleasing to see most were still there as the running speed hit twenty. The taller players, including Kreuger, were first to drop out, along with Draper but when the proceedings were called to a halt, Lipinski, IQ, Tyler Brown, Bianco, Sidey, Kelly, Dean and Nick Daicos were still going strongly, with Lipinski perhaps looking the most comfortable which augurs well for his endurance as a mid. Kelly and Dean were also looking relaxed as key position type height which indicates their excellent tanks too. Both Jetta and Selwood looked in good nick as evidenced by how they performed in this test.

Watching some of the newbies, Murley generally impressed with his kicking and he appears to move well. He will wear 27, as Poulter has swapped to his favourite #24. Nick Daics looking wonderful in his father’s erstwhile number moved with celerity and generally hit targets with ease. During a match sim which was mainly based around skills and ball movement, he seemed to be stationed in the defensive area. Draper wore the yellow cap to denote that he’s yet to be in full training but he looked quite good in terms of the way he moved and his kicking style. Begg notably showed his good skills back in July after he was first drafted, but have noted that his dexterity for a big guy is impressive in terms of how deftly he handles ground balls and so on. Harvey Harrison was also there and he has a bit of dash about him.

During this match simulation where there was little emphasis on tackling etc., there were certainly a few miskicks and the occasional dropped marks, including Murley, but there was clear evidence that the ball moved around perceptibly quicker and this is obviously in response to new instructions. All the coaches were pro active in issuing orders as the players partook of this activity and at times, some of the players had individual chats with the coaches. Was disappointed a couple of times regarding Bianco’s miskicks, but at other times he nailed it. Kelly looks to have built up and he looked athletic during the drills and pseudo match-play,

There were a few tackling drills which were effected at greater intensity than has often been the case in the past. Selwood used to get serious with the newbies but there was sometimes a sense of going through the motions with these types of exercises. Waite means business – tackling is meaningful and for real.

Crisp, Elliott, Moore and Grundy attended formal training for the first time this pre-season and all looked in fine fettle. Jamie looks in superb condition. Grundy appeared to be labouring less in the beep test than he usually showed during the time trial, while Moore looked extremely fit and he moved and performed sharply in all the drills with excellent marking and kicking. Crisp was as indefatigable as ever apart from his non-appearance in the beep test.
One gets the feeling from watching training today that there will be a much greater emphasis on tackling and swift ball movement leading up to the matches. The players, many of whom have endured a number of pre-seasons should benefit from the change in this training regimen. I noticed some of them listening intently, including the likes of Grundy, to explanations of the new drills etc. I should whet their appetite for the real thing given that rehearsing the same routines can often induce inertia.

Licuria and Taz were spotted arriving and walking into the pavilion. The guys stripping their shirts off to change vests for the match sim phase was a highlight for the onlookers throning the oval. The ‘crowd’ certainly did grow and included some fans bedecked in their Collingwood guernseys and other Magpie attire.

BTW I took a rare day off work (all my senior classes finished last week) to view this most important session!

Love Annabelle's use of the word celerity (I googled it to find out it means swiftness of movement).

It's also nice to see others join Jen down at training.

Pre-season week 3 - December 6th, 2021. First day for the whole squad (which was only a few extras as majority had already been training)

I covered up. Long sleeved top. Sunscreen. Hat and glasses. I even made sure I bought the sunscreen with me just in case. As it turns out it was not too bad in the morning, definitely after lunchtime it got much warmer. But better safe than sorry.

There were a few people when I rocked up about 9:20 or so. Annabelle was there, so hung out for a while by the fence near the cafe. More people arrived as the session went on. School kids on the other side as well.

Roll call:

1. Lippa
3. IQ
4. Grundy
5. Elliott
6. Tyler B
7. J.Daicos
8. Bianco
9. Noble
10. Pendles (on the cross trainers they have under cover by the glass house)
11. Keane
12. Wilson
13. Adams
14. Cameron
15. Krueger
17. Cal B
18. Macrae
19. Draper
20. Kelly
21. Ruscoe
22. Sidebottom
23. Roughy
24. Poulter
25. Crisp
26. Reef (cross trainers and rope fitness)
27. Murley
28. Murphy
29. McMahon (cross trainers - moon boot)
30. Moore
32. WHE
34. Chugg
35. No.Daicos
36. Harrison
37. Maynard
38. Howe
39. Begg
41. Checkers
43. Dean
44. Madgen
46. Cox.

Only ones that werent there was Johnson, Henry, Ginnivan and McCreery. Unsure why though. Maybe were inside the gym or doing other work.

Pendles, McMahon (who injured his ankle or foot on friday), Reef were on the bikes. They would then get visits from Adams who was doing his own thing, whether that was bike/rope work. Or if it was running. Clearly on his own program, not to do too much all at once, as he has a habit of doing previous years and maybe is the reason he finds himself injured. He had a decent session though. He also did participate in some drills.

McMahon was walking around fine in the moon boot, didn't seem to be hampered, so hopefully its just a sprain and its precaution. Shame it wasn't mentioned in the pendles report. He didn't seem in any pain or concerned. Did the ropes as well, and recent session on the stationary bike.

Not sure why Reef didn't participate in the session but was along with Pendles and McMahon. Hopefully not an injury, but his upper body/shoulders seem to have bulked up a bit.

There was another group that didn't participate with the main group, rather did their own drills + running + goal kicking. That was J. Daicos. Chugg. Keane. Ruscoe. Checkers. Crisp.
Tay was amongst this at times. Some of them did do some of the drills later on, just not initially.

Once they finish their usual monday morning warm up, and sprints. They started a beep test. Hadn't seen this done since 2018 I think. They didn't do it the last couple years.
The big boys dropped off first, which is to be expected. Starting with Moore. Then Grundy. Cox. Draper also was amongst this first group, that might be because of his injury he hadn't had much fitness.
And some players aren't endurance beasts.
Those that finished the entire test was Lippa, IQ, Tyler B, Bianco, Murphy, Sidebottom, Macrae, Kelly, Poulter. Nick Daicos.

A couple of them didn't participate, mainly from the restricted program group.

Of the drills, there was a handball drill in traffic and under pressure, make sure its clean. Tackling drills also in the 2nd half of the session with a select few groups.
They also did a little match play with one of the development coaches, Ash Close? kicking to a contest. The job then was to get that ball out of defence and swiftly move it across the ground into the forward line. Ball movement.
They also did a coaches v players match play, which is always fun to see. Pretty sure the players had them covered.

Grundy and Cameron did some work work with Frasier. I noticed Grundy has adopted a new form of tap work. He seemed to be tapping the ball above and over rather than to the ground. Not sure if this has been always his technique but it did spring out at me.

Arlo, being in a yellow cap meaning he is more restricted than the others given his injury, went off solo with a trained toward the end of the session while the others did drills. He then proceeded to do some goal kicking.

I think it won't be until post-christmas that we can see who may be playing in what line group, as at the moment its a mixture of players. Even in match play you would see even the defenders come forward to kick a goal lol Just seems to be more skills and drills at the moment. Once they do full on match sim, I imagine come January it'll get even more interesting

I think we have a little bromance between Lippa and Nicky

Remove this Banner Ad

Back