Training 2022 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Feel like I say the same thing every year but can you imagine the feeling of driving in to your first day of training as a draftee? You'd get hit with this waive of euphoria realising you are living your ******* dream...

Feel like I say the same thing every year but can you imagine the feeling of driving in to your first day of training as a draftee? You'd get hit with this waive of euphoria realising you are living your ******* dream...
The only exception being Josh Simpson who memorably hit another car in the carpark at Freo oval on the way in. May not have been his very first session but it was in the first week or so. In retrospect, the writing was on the wall early.

I love the fact that 2 of these guys are mids and they aren't being towered over by 2 Key forwards.

261329170_10158877679179317_686523857922412907_n.jpg

The only exception being Josh Simpson who memorably hit another car in the carpark at Freo oval on the way in. May not have been his very first session but it was in the first week or so. In retrospect, the writing was on the wall early.

Pav passed out in his first session and hit a car shortly after as well.

Beautiful day to have a look at training.

About 26 training today (not counting the newbies). The new guys, as per usual, were not required to do anything but watch the main group and do some handball and kick to kick for the camera. Amiss, Benning and Johnson all looked very similar in size with Erasmus only marginally smaller.

some observations:

Nice to see Valente training for the full session with the main group with no hint of any injury.
Will Brodie was very clean for a big bodied mid with good kicking skills (way ahead of Clark and Acres).
Train the house down award went to Son Son who was running beautifully and had his full array of kicking skills of full display, looks fit very fit and was the leader and the voice out on the field.
lots of running (200m runs) and then kicking goals under duress.
The best runners were in a group and included Switta, Brayshaw , Serong, Fredericks and Valente. Fredericks is fully fit no signs of limping and running powerfully.
Lots of goal kicking at the end of the session with Chapman doing the most on his goal kicking technique.

Negatives
Sturt in rehab (only two players - could not make out the other), he ran powerfully but did not join the main group.
No Hayden Young - I am told from the watchers that he has not been spotted for a couple of sessions (believed injured but unknown what)
Chapman practising goal kicking you say. I like that.

Please. Strawman harder.

Reminds me of the Scarecrow in Wizard of Oz, played by Ray Bolger. Since we are deep diving on this one, apparently his contract with the studio was that he would play any character they told him to and he was assigned the Tin Man - which he didn't want so he swapped with a guy who had the first name...

... Buddy.

Guaranteed future stars on the list.

Reminds me of the Scarecrow in Wizard of Oz, played by Ray Bolger. Since we are deep diving on this one, apparently his contract with the studio was that he would play any character they told him to and he was assigned the Tin Man - which he didn't want so he swapped with a guy who had the first name...

... Buddy.

Guaranteed future stars on the list.
Like a good key forward, Ray Bolger only looks out for Ray Bolger.

Fingers crossed our newbies have the heart and the courage needed to please the masses for a decade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Train the house down award went to Son Son who was running beautifully and had his full array of kicking skills of full display, looks fit very fit and was the leader and the voice out on the field.

Great to hear, looking forward to Son Son bouncing back in the upcoming season. 12 months ago he was in the rehab group from memory and he wasn't able to put it all together later in the season after suffering hamstring injuries etc.

Looking forward to seeing Chapman develop this year. I reckon he can potentially be a top 12 player on the list by end of the season.

If Clark is playing HBF where does Chapman slot in short term? Logue, Cox, Ryan, Pearce and Young are locks round 1 if fit IMO. Chapman is in a group of 6 or 7 players fighting for that final spot down back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back