Training 2022 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Jesus Sturt in the rehab group again. 😥

My expectations for Sturt are just about zero from now on. It’s easier that way, it’s the hope that he could be a great player that kills you as a fan.
If he plays a game or two this year it’s a bonus. If he plays most of the season I’ll be VERY surprised. If he has a long and successful career at freo I’ll be utterly amazed at this stage.
The smart money is on Sturt playing a couple of games early in the season, show signs of promise and rustiness all in one, tease everyone a bit with a flash or two of class, then pick up an injury from a seemingly innocuous incident, spend 16 weeks or so in rehab then get back in time for preseason next year.
We have seen this movie over and over again at Freo. Some players just aren’t built for AFL footy and it’s unfortunate but it’s the harsh truth.

Treacy on the other hand is a very exciting prospect.

My expectations for Sturt are just about zero from now on. It’s easier that way, it’s the hope that he could be a great player that kills you as a fan.
If he plays a game or two this year it’s a bonus. If he plays most of the season I’ll be VERY surprised. If he has a long and successful career at freo I’ll be utterly amazed at this stage.
The smart money is on Sturt playing a couple of games early in the season, show signs of promise and rustiness all in one, tease everyone a bit with a flash or two of class, then pick up an injury from a seemingly innocuous incident, spend 16 weeks or so in rehab then get back in time for preseason next year.
We have seen this movie over and over again at Freo. Some players just aren’t built for AFL footy and it’s unfortunate but it’s the harsh truth.

Treacy has spent a bit of time in rehab too.

Skinny recruits like Sturt who have to build their size have slightly different paths than bulked up players who need to trim down. Would be interesting to know if their are statistical differences.

Haha totally agree that expectation is the killer for fans - not relying on Amiss to play in our forward line round 1 is so liberating.

Having said that I still consider Sturt an exciting prospect - I'm just not confident that he'll turn out to be a reliable player.

I almost want to close my eyes looking at that Twitter clip of Sturts skinny little legs landing on the ground after taking that training mark. He could probably injure himself getting out of bed at this stage.
Maybe if we literally wrap him in cotton wool for the next month and don’t let him even walk, he will be fit for round 1 haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah he’s left footed, am thinking his adopted this new style because of his knee injury
Looks like a classic sweeping style kick as he's going on the angle. My paranoia might gawk askew at the gingerly look of his step as he first steps away from the bag. But other times I look at it, it looks fine as well.

I almost want to close my eyes looking at that Twitter clip of Sturts skinny little legs landing on the ground after taking that training mark. He could probably injure himself getting out of bed at this stage.
Maybe if we literally wrap him in cotton wool for the next month and don’t let him even walk, he will be fit for round 1 haha
Skinny calves and ankles. It is concerning. He really needs to build some muscle mass on those lower limbs. I’m not too fussed about his ball drop. That wasn’t his best kick in that video. Seen him kick ball from outside 50in the WAFL. Like you I’m more concerned about his skinny legs:

Hadn't considered Young as a midfielder but like the idea. The forwards would be pumped to be on the end of his kicks.
When I get insomnia (maybe a couple of times a week) one of my tricks to fall asleep is to go through something systematic in my head. Last night I tried to name what I think is our best 22 if everyone is fit.

Long story short, I couldn't for the life of me work out how who to leave out from Pearce, Hamling, Cox, Ryan, Logue, Young, Chapman, Clark (and that's even before thinking about Walker's ability to break the line - I'm assuming that's the role Clark will play). I see all of these as easily best 22 - so what do we do?? I hadn't considered Young to midfield because he's such a strong intercept mark - but then again, so are Ryan and Chapman so maybe that's OK.

I settled on starting with Cox and Chapman on the bench because we could swing Cox up forward if needed; but in reality I don't think that works well within a game situation (and potentially means Treacy misses out on the bench which is not ideal).

Anyway, note to self, working through Freo's best 22 is not a good idea to help you get to sleep.

Few useful insights in this.

“Fremantle midfielder Matt Johnson is expected to be sidelined for up to two months and is set to undergo surgery to help correct a foot injury.

The West Australian understands Johnson will have a screw inserted in the injured foot to accelerate the healing process from a hairline fracture suffered at training recently when a teammate accidentally stood on the foot.

It had been originally thought that the foot would heal fast enough on its own. Johnson is likely to be able to resume full training within eight weeks after the screw is inserted.

The injury is a blow to the rangy Mundy style midfielder who had impressed the Dockers over summer with his composure in traffic.

The 192cm, 80kg mid was the draft bonus from one of the legs of the trade that sent Adam Cerra to Carlton. Despite being one of the standouts of the national under-18s championships, Johnson slid down the draft pecking order to leave him on the table after the first round of selections.

The Dockers, who had netted the strategically valuable pick 19 from Gold Coast, decided not to cash the pick in and took Johnson who was clearly rated the best player left on the table at that point.

There is better news on the injury front concerning forward Sturt who is expected to take part in match simulation on Saturday morning after spending a chunk of Wednesday’s session training away from the main group.

Sturt, 21, has played just four games in his three completed seasons at the Dockers after concussion issues shorted his 2019 season and ankle and knee problems ended his 2020 and 2021 campaigns.

He worked with his knee bandaged on Wednesday but sources said he would continue to be managed in and out of main training as he built fitness loads and the strapping on the knee was precautionary after last year’s injury.”

Pretty much everyone on the track is or has been in the rehab group this summer. I’d be surprised if there’s much happening today considering the article posted above claiming there’s a match sim tomorrow. I think I’m going to come back tomorrow for a really good look.

Pretty much everyone on the track is or has been in the rehab group this summer. I’d be surprised if there’s much happening today considering the article posted above claiming there’s a match sim tomorrow. I think I’m going to come back tomorrow for a really good look.
Love your work Piggy!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back