theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Will be interesting to see if Erasmus debuts in R1. Jlo has shown himself to be a very conservative coach when it comes to selection. Even serong, as good as he is, didn’t play till round 5 in his rising star winning campaign
Do you think a player not debuting until round 5 is conservative?

Interesting counterpoint to the thread discussing raising the draft age.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Do you think a player not debuting until round 5 is conservative?

Interesting counterpoint to the thread discussing raising the draft age.
Yeah I suppose it’s all in the context of who the player is. Serong was/is no ordinary draftee, we are taking about the best young player in the league that year. He has never played a game for peel and probably never will as he was too good for that level from pretty much the minute he walked in the door of the club. If you are talking about a more typical draftee that is finding his way in year one like most of them, then playing 8-10 games would be standard enough in year one I’d say.
My point about Jlo is that he doesn’t tend to be a maverick at the selection table, especially early in the season. On more than one occasion I seem to remember his favouring the Banfield/Crowden/Acres types instead of the shiny new draftees in the last 2 years at various points.

Dec 6, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah I suppose it’s all in the context of who the player is. Serong was/is no ordinary draftee, we are taking about the best young player in the league that year. He has never played a game for peel and probably never will as he was too good for that level from pretty much the minute he walked in the door of the club. If you are talking about a more typical draftee that is finding his way in year one like most of them, then playing 8-10 games would be standard enough in year one I’d say.
My point about Jlo is that he doesn’t tend to be a maverick at the selection table, especially early in the season. On more than one occasion I seem to remember his favouring the Banfield/Crowden/Acres types instead of the shiny new draftees in the last 2 years at various points.
Not sure I would call it conservative, think he genuinely plays the best available, last year Chapman debuted in round 2 after Hamling and Pearce went down in round 1.
If these new guys want a game they are going to have to be better than Crowden, Acres and Banfield to get one, plus a few others as well.

Sully90

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
Not sure I would call it conservative, think he genuinely plays the best available, last year Chapman debuted in round 2 after Hamling and Pearce went down in round 1.
If these new guys want a game they are going to have to be better than Crowden, Acres and Banfield to get one, plus a few others as well.
Wouldn't playing "the best available" be the prime definition of "conservative"??

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wouldn't playing "the best available" be the prime definition of "conservative"??
Nah.
Conservative is playing those with good histories of being the best available. So the younger players are less likely to get a game.

Adaptable is playing the best available no matter what their age.

Progressive / forward thinking is playing the younger players even if they aren’t the best available.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Unless, Crowden, Acres or Banfield are way better than a kid, then go with youth.

wakojako

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
To those that have watched a training session in the past week or so, how has Walker been? Haven't heard much about him?

bruzaar62

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Walker looks super fit but has been in the rehab group for the last couple of weeks-cant be far off-pounding laps out last week with no noticable concerns.

ozzie69

All Australian
Jun 28, 2013
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Unless, Crowden, Acres or Banfield are way better than a kid, then go with youth.
It seems clear that what we have been doing for the past 27 years is not really getting the best results - therefore we must adapt to manage both our youth and our injuries better. Let the young guys have a good run a Peel to learn to play against men and to build some form and confidence before hitting the big time. Similarly with guys that have been out injured for a while. Get into good form at Peel where possible before rushing back to the firsts.
We need to be bit patient with guys like Sturt, Erasmus and Johnson. Until they are ready, Crowden, Acres and Banfield should fill the gaps.

Oct 5, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Dist, Rockets, Glasgow Rangers
Fair point, he will need to replicate those numbers in the WAFL though as I doubt he will walk straight in round one. JLO rewards players though so I expect an early appearance from Mr Brodie in the season.

If he doesn't play round 1 with Mundy out and Fyfe under some doubt then it's hard to see him breaking in to the 22 when Fyfe & Mundy are fully fit.

Oct 5, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Dist, Rockets, Glasgow Rangers
Will be interesting to see if Erasmus debuts in R1. Jlo has shown himself to be a very conservative coach when it comes to selection. Even serong, as good as he is, didn’t play till round 5 in his rising star winning campaign

His form over the next 2 months would have to be outstanding. Otherwise if a draftee walks in to the 22 it's a kick in the face for the guys who have been on the list for multiple pre-seasons.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Serong is a unique example, but I do generally think Longmuir is conservative at this stage. His changes are often forced on him rather than planned. Reactive. And before I get flayed by anyone who assumes that is a negative comment, I think that is how it should be, especially at this stage of development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SupermanCapes

Team Captain
Mar 16, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
I'm sure the photographers have a directive to get lots of snaps of the draftees for hype, but Erasmus looks like he got a tonne of the pill in the intraclub even so. The stiff arm CapitalA called out above is a highlight.

Dockernut

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sharks. Anyone playing West Coast.
I'm sure the photographers have a directive to get lots of snaps of the draftees for hype, but Erasmus looks like he got a tonne of the pill in the intraclub even so. The stiff arm CapitalA called out above is a highlight.

My buddy just prepping for the debut of the century!!!

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas

But even Acres was a brand new shiny toy in J Lo's first season (along with Aish). Acres had blitzed one of the pre-season games and would have started in Rd 1 but for injury.

First season - Sturt was Rd 1 (ok, he wasn't a new recruit but he was yet to debut) , Young was Rd 2, Serong Rd 4 and Frederick Rd 7. Henry pretty much played before he was ready as he didn't have a pre-season and stayed in WA on the first road trip to the hub.

Not too conservative.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
These things just keep falling into my lap, enjoy...

Training Report

I arrived during the warm up and watched both the main squad and rehab group. I hate using the term rehab because
1 they aren't recovering from addiction
2 they aren't injured otherwise they wouldn't be running, jumping, contesting for marks or having set shot practice

During match sims Brayshaw went head to head with Brodie in the midfield. People who are saying Brodie will be a solid pick up for Freo are wishing. If he wasn't recruited we wouldn't even be talking about him.

Brayshaw dominated today's match sims with the majority of clearances for his side. Brodie was purely a spectator wishing he could keep up or even just touch the ball. The one time he got his hands on it Brayshaw dumped him instantly.

Brayshaw looks ready to lead Freo this season along with Hayden Young. Young was terrific off half back. Both he and Andy take intercept marks and Young kicks to the exact spot 90% of the time. His delivery into forward 50 was pinpoint.

The players on modified programs is large at 11 ish. Most running well and look like they could join in if needed. Serong still recovering from finger surgery but you can tell he wants back into the main squad. Mundy is running well and isn't far off. Both Johnson and Pertacca aka Eurasmiss looking very composed and ultra competitive.

Much luv
Jesus Mind Tricks

Hammersoup

Senior List
Sep 8, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pic 51, the left side of fyfes body looks massive while the right side looks tiny lol. Anyone whose seen it in person, is his right arm actually significantly smaller than the left?

Attachments

• javelin .png
    javelin .png
    60.6 KB · Views: 88

wakojako

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
These things just keep falling into my lap, enjoy...

Training Report

I arrived during the warm up and watched both the main squad and rehab group. I hate using the term rehab because
1 they aren't recovering from addiction
2 they aren't injured otherwise they wouldn't be running, jumping, contesting for marks or having set shot practice

During match sims Brayshaw went head to head with Brodie in the midfield. People who are saying Brodie will be a solid pick up for Freo are wishing. If he wasn't recruited we wouldn't even be talking about him.

Brayshaw dominated today's match sims with the majority of clearances for his side. Brodie was purely a spectator wishing he could keep up or even just touch the ball. The one time he got his hands on it Brayshaw dumped him instantly.

Brayshaw looks ready to lead Freo this season along with Hayden Young. Young was terrific off half back. Both he and Andy take intercept marks and Young kicks to the exact spot 90% of the time. His delivery into forward 50 was pinpoint.

The players on modified programs is large at 11 ish. Most running well and look like they could join in if needed. Serong still recovering from finger surgery but you can tell he wants back into the main squad. Mundy is running well and isn't far off. Both Johnson and Pertacca aka Eurasmiss looking very composed and ultra competitive.

Much luv
Jesus Mind Tricks
Rip about Brodie

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
Quite enjoying the rollercoaster that is reports on Brodie, I'm expecting him to dominate Wednesday's session and play terrible on Friday

Remove this Banner Ad

Back