Training 2022 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Please share??
The continued injury-related absence of several starting midfielders has allowed Fremantle to experiment with a raft of combinations, as a few uncapped Dockers impressed in match simulation on Monday.

David Mundy (ankle), Nat Fyfe (shoulder) and Caleb Serong (finger) were all held out the 10-minute quarters of match play but Fyfe and Serong looked closest to resuming full training after warming up with the main group.

With the talented midfield trio sidelined, Will Brodie took the opportunity to stake his claim for round one selection.

Recruited from Gold Coast in the off-season, Brodie joined Sean Darcy and Darcy Tucker in the centre circle for team purple.

Brodie’s strength as an inside midfielder was evident from the outset, reading the ruck contest perfectly and firing a handball to Tucker who won the first clearance and set up Lachie Schultz for the first goal.

His work in tight and accurate hands helped team purple gain an advantage but Brodie did miss a couple of targets when he had the chance to move the ball by foot under pressure.

On the opposing red team, Andrew Brayshaw headlined the midfield group alongside ruckman Lloyd Meek, rookie Mitch Crowden and draftee Neil Erasmus.

Erasmus positioned himself well on the defensive side of stoppages and provided an option in space for his teammates, his competitiveness a feature.

Fellow Subiaco product Matthew Johnson started on the wing opposed to second-year midfielder Nathan O’Driscoll, using the ball well when he won possession.

Liam Henry and Blake Acres lined up on each other on the opposite wing. Henry in particular delighted in his new role, spinning out of traffic to evade a tackle in one instance.

New recruit Jordan Clark stationed himself at half-back while Darcy and Rory Lobb did battle in the ruck, Meek dropping into attack after centre bounces.

Peel Thunder product Roy George also kicked a goal for team red. He is one of several Peel products training at Fremantle as part of the club’s alignment.

Luke Valente wasn’t sighted while Brandon Walker, Josh Treacy, Jye Amiss, Matt Taberner and Joel Hamling were among those in rehab.

His form over the next 2 months would have to be outstanding. Otherwise if a draftee walks in to the 22 it's a kick in the face for the guys who have been on the list for multiple pre-seasons.
Why would it be a kick in the face? If Erasmus is better than them already, then I'm sure they'll be mature enough to recognise that and congratulate the guy

Just a few quick thoughts.
Shooter and Switkowski both looked sharp.

Reasonably sure Roy George kicked 2 and put Son Son on his bum, but to be fair he did play on Tendai Mzungu at times.

I thought Brodie was ok and I haven't been a massive fan.

Interestingly, after the 4 quarter match sim they had another short match sim with most of the rehab boys getting some time on the field.

Tucker did some great things in the midfield, but also did some dumb things. Off the top of my head, set Brodie (?) up with a s**t handball, got caught taking a step to many and a shocking kick forward.

I think the club is just taking the piss now.

20220117_104620.jpg

Just a few quick thoughts.
Shooter and Switkowski both looked sharp.

Reasonably sure Roy George kicked 2 and put Son Son on his bum, but to be fair he did play on Tendai Mzungu at times.

I thought Brodie was ok and I haven't been a massive fan.

Interestingly, after the 4 quarter match sim they had another short match sim with most of the rehab boys getting some time on the field.

Tucker did some great things in the midfield, but also did some dumb things. Off the top of my head, set Brodie (?) up with a sh*t handball, got caught taking a step to many and a shocking kick forward.

I think the club is just taking the piss now.

View attachment 1312496
Who is that, first thought was Aish but way too big, is it Logue?

Apparently still troubled by a groin injury.
But his time must be getting close.Needs to get on the park.
Last chance saloon you would think. Time doesn’t stand still, new draftees come along and existing players like OD move up the pecking order. If his body can’t handle the training loads then it is unfortunate but time to move on. Highly rated and promising but I agree if he can’t get on the park then we move on. Fingers crossed he gets on top of groin and we see him out dominating for Peel but I won’t be holding my breath.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's so refreshing for the faithful to be dubious of a trade recruit - 5 years ago trading in Brodie (with a top 10 draft pick against his name) would have (a) cost us rather than netting us a high draft pick and (b) we would have needed him to be the second coming.

Feels like an important maturing of both the club and the supporters that we don't need him to fix everything. If he plays well, awesome. If he doesn't, we got MJ out of it so win-win. I'm a big believer that this sort of attitude develops organically with a club that's moving in the right direction.

It's so refreshing for the faithful to be dubious of a trade recruit - 5 years ago trading in Brodie (with a top 10 draft pick against his name) would have (a) cost us rather than netting us a high draft pick and (b) we would have needed him to be the second coming.

Feels like an important maturing of both the club and the supporters that we don't need him to fix everything. If he plays well, awesome. If he doesn't, we got MJ out of it so win-win. I'm a big believer that this sort of attitude develops organically with a club that's moving in the right direction.
The list of players who have pace at Freo, we would probably have our quickest squad ever?
I’m not surprised Will has been behind in the running sprints.
But the match sims once he knows our systems, personal should see him in a better light.
Only has to play the Suban role, etc, for Fyfe to get back to his best.
Use his big frame, height, to protect, prolong our A grade mids.
At one stage Brodie was being talked about being a number 1 draft pick, especially as a 17 year old.
We need more Bulls not less, our engine room has been targeted before and I’m sick of being bullied.
Someone has to do the grunt work, Dustin Martin is so dangerous because he is always sneaking forward. Love to see Fyfe, Mundy, Serong in positions to score.
To be more attacking someone has to play that defensive role.

If we can put Valente's ball use into Brodie's body then we'd be laughing about the genuinely elite inside midfielder we picked up for nothing.
Maybe that is the new definition of a depth player. If a player needs to have his best attribute combined with another player to be above average…

Valente & Brodie…
Wilson & Banfield…
Crowden & Blakely…

We have three open spots on the list but three decent players…

To be fair Valente is a genuine enigma. Watching the latest Matrix and Spider-Man movies he perhaps exists in some sort of parallel universe. Im sure I saw him in that cloud thing Dr Strange was whipping up…but i can’t be sure.

Looking at who plays at Peel, there are several known AFL players, experience.
Blakely, Hughes, Acres, Colyer? Meek, Hamling? Banfield, Crowden, Sturt.
Then you have the others to add Amiss, Johnson, Benning, Western, NOD, Worner? Frederick or Walker? Valente.
Peels best 22 should take care of $ubi again?

Maybe that is the new definition of a depth player. If a player needs to have his best attribute combined with another player to be above average…

Valente & Brodie…
Wilson & Banfield…
Crowden & Blakely…

We have three open spots on the list but three decent players…

To be fair Valente is a genuine enigma. Watching the latest Matrix and Spider-Man movies he perhaps exists in some sort of parallel universe. Im sure I saw him in that cloud thing Dr Strange was whipping up…but i can’t be sure.
I’m still not sure young Crakely would make it

I'm not saying Brodie plays round one but the fact he is being given an extended run in the midfield now (even given injuries) means they are giving him every chance.

I'm not saying Brodie plays round one but the fact he is being given an extended run in the midfield now (even given injuries) means they are giving him every chance.
From what I have seen of Brodie, he looks ok definitely a midfielder and the type we want (big bodied) there are questions on his fitness and foot skills. Too early yet to really make a call. I think once the squad gets to full strength or close to and he competes with Fye, Mundy etc then we will get a clear picture of where he sits. At the moment i'm pretty happy with his actual work in the middle.

Looking at who plays at Peel, there are several known AFL players, experience.
Blakely, Hughes, Acres, Colyer? Meek, Hamling? Banfield, Crowden, Sturt.
Then you have the others to add Amiss, Johnson, Benning, Western, NOD, Worner? Frederick or Walker? Valente.
Peels best 22 should take care of $ubi again?
Between Covid and injuries I’d say nothing is a given

Remove this Banner Ad

Back