Tyler Welsh
Tom Luck

WA
Harrison Creighton
Deian Roberts
Tyler Lindberg
Trent Hiscock
Xavier Walsh
Lindberg & Walsh are both 2005. Creighton struggled today unfortunately. Roberts had a crack

Hopefully we do OK and are competitive enough. What are your thoughts on how WA selectors seem to miss a lot of potentially great players for 16’s selection v who ends up getting drafted in their 18’s year? Is it purely a lack of being able to watch these players enough at a younger age and do they pick players who they think will be “competitive” at a 16’s carnival versus players who potentially could go on to get drafted? The futures carnival is very short with many boys unable to play every game due to summer sport or psa commitments. With the squad being picked primarily from this carnival it seems they just don’t get to see enough of them play.
Hamish Davis (Claremont/Hale) Tom Rooke (WP) Aven Drewett (Subiaco/Wesley) should’ve made the 16’s Hamish one of the best forwards of the futures carnival and delivering for Hale in PSA Tom Rooke inside midfielder who got plenty of it and Drewett best of the wingman for Subi with 2 way running in the futures and continuing that with firsts at Wesley in PSA.
Davis State Schoolboys rep in 12’s Tom Rooke 15’s and Drewett rep in 12’s and 15’s

Hamish Davis (Claremont/Hale) Tom Rooke (WP) Aven Drewett (Subiaco/Wesley) should’ve made the 16’s Hamish one of the best forwards of the futures carnival and delivering for Hale in PSA Tom Rooke inside midfielder who got plenty of it and Drewett best of the wingman for Subi with 2 way running in the futures and continuing that with firsts at Wesley in PSA.
Davis State Schoolboys rep in 12’s Tom Rooke 15’s and Drewett rep in 12’s and 15’s
Keep the names coming and I'll keep adding them to the list. That list is going to change a lot over time.

I can't say I'm disappointed with WA's performance because they did put in effort but the alarm bells were ringing last week in the scratch match against a depleted Subiaco colts.

As I said, they tried - but with the exception of a few - even the middle sized players look a little bit awkward, raw and have unconvincing kicking techniques compared to the really compact, slick and stylish SA players and even WA's own 2005 crop.

I know Harrison Creighton (SD) and Koopa Walsh (S) are very good prospects but they had quiet games.

Defenders Trent Hiscock (WP), Tom Cathcart (SD), Austin Van Der Struyf (CL) Darcy Petersen (PT) and Bo Allan (PT) tried hard against the odds.

Deian Roberts (PT) and over ager Tyler Lindberg (EP) were the only players in the midfield who had skills comparable to SA mids.

All in all it's concerning.

Last edited:
Keep the names coming and I'll keep adding them to the list. That list is going to change a lot over time.

I can't say I'm disappointed with WA's performance because they did put in effort but the alarm bells were ringing last week in the scratch match against a depleted Subiaco colts.

As I said, they tried - but with the exception of a few - even the middle sized players look a little bit awkward, raw and have unconvincing kicking techniques compared to the really compact, slick and stylish SA players and even WA's own 2005 crop.

I know Harrison Creighton (SD) and Koopa Walsh (S) are very good prospects but they had quiet games.

Defenders Trent Hiscock (WP), Tom Cathcart (SD), Austin Van Der Struyf (CL) Darcy Petersen (PT) and Bo Allan (PT) tried hard against the odds.

Deian Roberts (PT) and over ager Tyler Lindberg were the only players in the midfield who had skills comparable to SA mids.

All in all it's concerning.
Seems a fair few selected based on 1 good game in futures and if you were lucky enough for the selectors to be there that game you got in the squad. Some genuine surprise selections a few got in only playing 1 game in the futures carnival. The 3 I mentioned earlier definitely the unluckiest of those that missed out Rooke is the equal of any mid selected. Drewett small but along with Davis probably 2 of the smartest 16’s players in a pure structure sense in the positions they play going around. As you said it all comes out eventually going forward into 18’s

Yep. Forgot about Drewett. Another surprise who wasn’t included in squad. Although he is smaller in size has elite speed and evasiveness. Smart footballer. Would have been a handy inclusion in todays game.

Seems a fair few selected based on 1 good game in futures and if you were lucky enough for the selectors to be there that game you got in the squad. Some genuine surprise selections a few got in only playing 1 game in the futures carnival. The 3 I mentioned earlier definitely the unluckiest of those that missed out Rooke is the equal of any mid selected. Drewett small but along with Davis probably 2 of the smartest 16’s players in a pure structure sense in the positions they play going around. As you said it all comes out eventually going forward into 18’s
Are you saying that the WA selectors don't have a rep at every game watching futures? If not why not? That's the bare minimum. Watch every match and dot the i's and cross the t's. Something doesn't feel right here. 4 People now have said this isn't the best squad. One person you may dismiss ....not four

Are you saying that the WA selectors don't have a rep at every game watching futures? If not why not? That's the bare minimum. Watch every match and dot the i's and cross the t's. Something doesn't feel right here. 4 People now have said this isn't the best squad. One person you may dismiss ....not four
Not sure how it works as far as selectors being at each game you’d hope they are there but seems some strange selections if it was based on the futures carnival. Bailey Morgan from East Freo another unlucky non selection.

Well I'm going to make it a part of this project that I make a special effort to notice 2006 players who weren't in the squad. Urquhart (EF) got votes in colts yesterday...didn't make WA squad....Bienfait Kihusa kicks 5 on debut as a 15 year old in colts - not in WA squad. Something doesn't add up here. Four people say this squad isn't the best.......ok...point taken......something just not right

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think what could have assisted in picking a better team would be to at least pick a larger initial training squad. I see SA picked an initial squad of 51 players. Have them train for a month or so together before reducing the squad down to 30 or so. My understanding is they just don’t see enough of this age groups football so go in somewhat blind to watch these games. Picking a state team off 3 or 4 futures games of which may or may not have a state selector at just doesn't seem enough. Talent managers give some guidance but they too don’t always get it right when it comes to identifying potentially draftable players. From what I watched yesterday very few of those players will even make state 18’s let alone get drafted. Some seem to even be lacking basic ball handling skills. That may have been the pressure they were under but either way it is a concern.

from the Victorian Teams i'll put a list of the better players imo

Vic Metro:
1.Lucas McInerney
2.Lucas Grego
3.Josh Smillie
4.Ty Kitchell
5.Jayden Nguyen
6.Patrick Said
7.Damon Hollow
8.Jagga Smith
9.Luke Trainor
10.Isaac Kako
11.Tadgh McCarthy
12.Sam Fanning
13.Levi Ashcroft
14.Roman Black

Vic Country:
1.Finn O'Sullivan - pick 1 contender
2.Zac McInnes
3.Oliver Warburton
4.Tobie Travaglia
5.Sam Lalor
6.Angus Morrison
7.Jack Ough
8.Xavier Lindsey
9.Xavier Ivisic
10.Jasper Alger

some more players i liked from the SA v WA game

South Aust:
1.Dyson Sharp
2.Tyler Welsh - potential pick 1
3.Sid Draper
4.Lucas Camporeale
5.Benny Barrett - Ky Pickett type forw
6.Phoenix Hargrave
7.Jacob Newton
8.Will McCabe
9.Sam Burbridge
10.Beau Ryan
11.Kade Herbert
12.Harry Dodd

West Aust:
1.Otis Harvey
2.Deian Roberts
3.Hugh Boxshall
4.Harry Jones
5.Trent Hiscock
6.Thomas Cathcart
7.Xavier Walsh
8.Jaxon Douglas

Time for an update. Still miles away from getting an accurate top 40 but it's a start. I'll post updates on this thread periodically and then start a new stand alone thread in 2023 as it is obviously just WA.

2006 DOB players in 2022 WAFL Colts/PSA Updated After Round 10

1-Koopa Walsh (S)
2-Deian Roberts (PT)
3-Tom Cathcart (SD)
4-Otis Harvey (SD/PSA)
5-Harrison Creighton (SD)
6-Darcy Petersen (PT)
7-Austin Van Der Struyf (CL/PSA)
8-Lucas Ravenhill (CL)
9-Bienfait Kihusa (EP)
10-Anthony Hansen (SD)
11-Luke Urquhart (EF/PSA)
12-Malakai Champion (S/PSA)
13-Trent Hiscock (WP)
14-Bailey Morgan (EF)
15-Harry Jones (SD)
16-Colby McDonald (SD)
17-Jaxon Douglas (CL/PSA)
18-Ashton Warner (EF/PSA)
19-Bo Allan (PT)
20-Chayse Martinson (SD)
21-Hugh Boxshall (CL/PSA)
22-Ali Al Shuweli (P)
23-Xavier Hickey (S)
24-Albert Esterhuysen (PT)
25-Kody Katauskas (CL)
26-Lukas Jakovich (PT)
27-Cooper Moore (P/PSA)
28-Hamish Davis (CL/PSA)
29-Keegan Davies (EF)
30-Latrell Yarran (P)
31-Cody Ryan (SD)
32-Caylon Seelander (S/PSA)
33-Kayle Gerreyn (WP/PSA)
34-Will Thomas (CL)
35-Jacob Calabrese (EF)
36-William Akec (EP/PSA)
37-Baylee Payne (WP)
38-Tom Rooke (WP)
39-Yeabsera Fasil (S)
40-Jaxon Artemis (SF)

Other players to keep an eye on - Kayde Sherwood (WP), Toré Nelson (S), Harry Case (PT), Marco Madaffari (EF), Joshua Jackson (SF), Aven Drewett (S/PSA), Tom MacGillivray (S), Mitch Bell (S), Finlay Henderson (S), Owen Cushing (EP), Charlie Thomas (P), Matthew King (PT), Jarrod Donaldson (S), Reuben Keane (CL), Joshua Rossen (SD), Blake Russell (PT), Hudson Pivac (SF)

2006 DOB players in 2022 WAFL Colts
Votes provided by the WAFL match stats page/coaches votes and an observer watching each game (Volunteers welcome)

Leader Board Games Votes Ave Goals Chayse Martinson (SD) 1 4 4.00 - Bienfait Kihusa (EP) 5 10 2.00 6 Luke Urquhart (EF) 1 1 1.00 2 Jacob Calabrese (EF) 1 - 0.00 - Colby McDonald (SD) 2 - 0.00 1 Harrison Creighton (SD) 5 - 0.00 - Tom Cathcart (SD) 1 - 0.00 - Bo Allan (PT) 1 - 0.00 -

Last edited:
Time for an update. Still miles away from getting an accurate top 40 but it's a start. I'll post updates on this thread periodically and then start a new stand alone thread in 2023 as it is obviously just WA.

2006 DOB players in 2022 WAFL Colts/PSA Updated After Round 9

1-Koopa Walsh (S)
2-Tom Cathcart (SD)
3-Harrison Creighton (SD)
4-Deian Roberts (PT)
5-Darcy Petersen (PT)
6-Bienfait Kihusa (EP)
7-Austin Van Der Struyf (CL/PSA)
8-Malakai Champion (S/PSA)
9-Lucas Ravenhill (CL)
10-Luke Urquhart (EF/PSA)
11-Anthony Hansen (SD)
12-Trent Hiscock (WP)
13-Otis Harvey (SD/PSA)
14-Chayse Martinson (SD)
15-Colby McDonald (SD)
16-Jaxon Douglas (CL/PSA)
17-Bailey Morgan (EF)
18-Ashton Warner (EF/PSA)
19-Hugh Boxshall (CL/PSA)
20-Bo Allan (PT)
21-Ali Al Shuweli (P)
22-Will Thomas (CL)
23-Jacob Calabrese (EF)
24-Kayle Gerreyn (WP/PSA)
25-Albert Esterhuysen (PT)
26-Caylon Seelander (S/PSA)
27-Harry Jones (SD)
28-Kody Katauskas (CL)
29-Baylee Payne (WP)
30-Lukas Jakovich (PT)
31-Xavier Hickey (S)
32-William Akec (EP/PSA)
33-Cooper Moore (P/PSA)
34-Yeabsera Fasil (S)
35-Jaxon Artemis (SF)
36-Latrell Yarran (P)
37-Hamish Davis (CL/PSA)
38-Keegan Davies (EF)
39-Toré Nelson (S)
40-Tom Rooke (WP)

Other players to keep an eye on - Kayde Sherwood (WP), Harry Case (PT), Marco Madaffari (EF), Joshua Jackson (SF), Aven Drewett (S/PSA), Tom MacGillivray (S), Mitch Bell (S), Cody Ryan (SD), Finlay Henderson (S), Owen Cushing (EP), Charlie Thomas (P), Matthew King (PT), Jarrod Donaldson (S)

2006 DOB players in 2022 WAFL Colts
Votes provided by the WAFL match stats page/coaches votes and an observer watching each game (Volunteers welcome)

Leader Board Games Votes Ave Goals Chayse Martinson (SD) 1 4 4.00 - Bienfait Kihusa (EP) 5 10 2.00 6 Luke Urquhart (EF) 1 1 1.00 2 Jacob Calabrese (EF) 1 - 0.00 - Colby McDonald (SD) 2 - 0.00 1 Harrison Creighton (SD) 5 - 0.00 - Tom Cathcart (SD) 1 - 0.00 - Bo Allan (PT) 1 - 0.00 -
Good to see WA a little more competitive today. Haven’t watched entire game as yet and standard didn’t look overly high with the conditions playing a part in that. Was a little surprised at Vic Country skill level though. Expected them to handle the conditions better.

Not a big number of absolute standouts at this stage but some of the WA boys I’m liking the look of in no particular order:

Austin Van Der Struyf - thought he was best today - let’s hope he keeps growing Harrison Creighton
Deian Roberts
Koopa Walsh
Lucas Ravenhill

Good to see WA a little more competitive today. Haven’t watched entire game as yet and standard didn’t look overly high with the conditions playing a part in that. Was a little surprised at Vic Country skill level though. Expected them to handle the conditions better.

Not a big number of absolute standouts at this stage but some of the WA boys I’m liking the look of in no particular order:

Austin Van Der Struyf - thought he was best today - let’s hope he keeps growing Harrison Creighton
Deian Roberts
Koopa Walsh
Lucas Ravenhill
I thought Van der Struyf was best also. Malakai Champion was very good, as was Anthony Hansen. WA's x-factor players lifted the team. Roberts good again. Over ager Tyler Lindberg did some nice things, Chayse Martinson tried hard but his disposal was costly at times in the first half and Koopa Walsh showed glimpses of the reason why he kicked 26 goals in six futures games. Ravenhill had an impact.

I still don't think this list is anywhere near final....there will be 30 other players that emerge at least in the next 24 months.

Vic C were poor. They either kicked it to us or out of bounds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back