2023 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those nuffies are just bitter and jealous

It's understandable.

You're perched on top of the mountain of omnipotence and you have these minions so far below you you can't see 'em.

By ZAC MILBANK

Glenelg captain Ben Ridgway has become the second successive Tigers skipper to win the McCallum Tomkins Medal after Hugh Stagg saluted in 2021.

Proudly sporting the treasured No.5 guernsey in honour of premiership captain Peter Carey, Ridgway polled a total of 17 votes to edge ahead of powerful Sturt forward Chad Reschke and North midfielder Billy Dowling on 15.

Averaging an impressive 24 disposals, six tackles and four clearances this season, the 17-year-old polled first preferences in four matches while attracting votes in a total of seven games in 2022.

Originally playing his junior football with Edwardstown before moving to Brighton, Ridgway impressed with his leadership this season while helping the Bays qualify for the major round.

Eligible for the 2023 AFL Draft, Ridgway managed to play one game for the Torrens University SA U18 team – against Western Australia – despite being an ”under-ager” in 2022.

Does anyone here know any Pionners or GWV rebel scouts? I have a few people they should talk to and pick up for the roster for their teams next year

Futures Scoreboard​

Team Yellow 3.3 6.6 10.10 11.11 (77)
Team Blue 2.2 4.3 4.4 6.10 (46)

BEST – Team Yellow: Tasker, Oates, Dodson, Montgomery, Holt, Slade
Team Blue: Newton, Draper, Tattoli, Pearce, McCourt, Delean

GOALS – Team Yellow: Tasker 3, Hansen 2, Barrett, Pearsons, Montgomery, Fawcett, Dodson, Agnew
Team Blue: Delean 2, McCabe, Carlin, Downs, Tattoli
At Adelaide Oval

Futures Scoreboard​

Team Yellow 3.3 6.6 10.10 11.11 (77)
Team Blue 2.2 4.3 4.4 6.10 (46)

BEST – Team Yellow: Tasker, Oates, Dodson, Montgomery, Holt, Slade
Team Blue: Newton, Draper, Tattoli, Pearce, McCourt, Delean

GOALS – Team Yellow: Tasker 3, Hansen 2, Barrett, Pearsons, Montgomery, Fawcett, Dodson, Agnew
Team Blue: Delean 2, McCabe, Carlin, Downs, Tattoli
At Adelaide Oval
No Moir?

Will Lorenz has Tom Mitchell's ball poisoning. He seems to make wise choices when under pressure and is more of an attacking midfielder who could also play up front. In his rankings for the 2023 draft, Davo has him at 17. But if he has a strong season, he could be our a top 10 pick for next season. I'm keen to see how he goes for the rest of the game.

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on Walter, Rogers and Read today. I thought all were pretty good but I may be biased so I'm looking for an unbiased opinion.

update on 2023, 1 change to the top 30 Chad Reschke in and Will Patton out, then i increased it to a top 40.

1. Harley Reid - Bend - 185cm - absolute star, can play in all positions, can negate Nick Watson, outmark Lewis Hayes in the goal square, does everything
2. Jed Walter - GCS A - 194cm - big lump of a lad, goal kicking machine
3. Daniel Curtin - Clare - 195cm - star defender, won the best on in the u17's
4. Nate Caddy - North - 190cm - marking forward, might need work on goal kicking, but is a dangerous forward
5. Nick Watson - East - 169cm - dangerous small forward, fights hard and never gives up
6. Koltyn Tholstrup - Subi - 188cm - skillful forward who can also find it in the midfield, beautiful strong mark too
7. Jack Delean - Sth Adel - 181cm - good mark for his size and can also be a dangerous forward
8. Zane Duursma - Gipps - 188cm - forward/midfielder, Vic Country would have loved his goal kicking skills in the u18 champs decider
9. Nathan Philactides - Oak - 180cm - tough uncompromising defender
10. Ashton Moir - Glenlg - 186cm - skillful forward with a nice ability to take pack marks and a mark on a lead
11. Koen Sanchez - Est Frem - 176cm - skillful midfielder who went forward at the champs and looked good there
12. Jake Rogers - GCS A - 172cm - speedy small midfielder, quality player, was a sensation for GCS A iagainst the NAB League and starred for the Allies in the champs imo
13. Archer Reid - Gipps - 201cm - tall forward, tore it up at the Vic Trials, but didnt have the best champs, can turn it on every now and then
14. Riley Hardeman - Swan Dist - 185cm - classy speedy winger who was a great winger in the 2021 WAFL Colts GF and has been consistent since
15. Ben Ridgeway - Glenlg - 181cm - really dynamic midfielder, tough and can win the hard ball
16. Archie Roberts - Sand - 183cm - another classy winger from the Sandringham factory
17. Will Lorenz - Oak - 186cm - quality smooth midfielder, grandson of Hawks Legend Graham Arthur
18. Logan Morris - West - 192cm - quality FF for the Jets, surprised he didnt get more opportunity at the state level
19. Luamon Lual - GWV - 181cm - was a real difference maker in the Trials, not sure why he didnt get into the champs squad, but he looks the goods
20. Colby McKercher - Tas - 181cm - a really talented winger who i would like to see if he can play more midfield next season
21. Chad Reschke - Sturt - 187cm - leads all day, a bit chunky but has surprising speed on the lead, good strong mark as well, kicked 68 goals in u18 this yr
22. Alex Molan - GWV - 177cm - dynamic flanker/midfielder, always in the play and nearly always does something good with the footy
23. Sam Frangalas - Dand - 187cm - big strong midfielder/flanker, needs to find his position and dominate
24. George Stevens - GWV - 190cm - did an ACL i believe last year, but was fantastic prior to injury
25. Mitch Edwards - Peel - 196cm - quality tall in this draft, because of the lack of high end talls could go earlier, but theres so many quality sml/med forwards in this draft
26. Alex Holt - Sturt - 180cm - good hbf/wing, played well at times this year in the u17's and u18's
27. Oliver Badr - Oak - 177cm - good solid midfielder, has played well but could drop down the order if he doesnt show improvement
28. Will McCabe - Cent Dist - 196cm - quick and courageous tall forward/defender, need to see more but the potential is high and could go 1st/2nd rd?
29. Darcy Weeks - West - 178cm - solid inside midfielder, he and Lorenz + B.Wilson impressed me in a game a month or so ago, tough inside mid red head
30. Clay Hall - Peel - 189cm - hard working midfielder, just goes all game, good natural endurance it seems

31. Will Patton - West Adel - 191cm - solid defender from SA
32. Billy Wilson - Dand - 181cm - another quality outside type from dandenong, he Lorenz and Weeks really put their names up a few weeks ago
33. Michael Rudd - Geel - 191cm - another good marking medium forward this time from Geelong
34. Luca Slade - Sturt - 180cm - another good winger from SA
35. Coby James - Murray - 176cm - speedy hbf, i really liked him from the Vic Trials, no one is talking about him but he is quality
36. Caleb Windsor - Eastern - 184cm - was really good for Eastern earlier i nthe year outplaying his brother Kai in the midfield
37. Caiden Cleary - Syd A - 180cm - good midfielder from Syd A, a bit up and down in form, but a solid player
38. Ryley Sanders - Sand/Tas - 185cm - has potential to be top 20, but hasnt put it all together just yet
39. Riley Weatherill - Eastern - 195cm - tall forward with a good amount of talent another to impress at the Vic Trials in Werribee
40. Ethan Read - GCS A - 200cm - had a good couple games this year and has a lot of potential with his athleticism

other talented players to keep an eye on in 2023

Darcy Wilson, Harvey Thomas, Kobe Shipp, Xavier Walsh, Cam Nyko, James Lugsdin, Kynan Brown, Mahmoud Taha, Cooper Simpson, Jack Callinan, Diesel Moloney, Charlie Hillier (Patrick Weckert + Riak Andrew + Coen Livingstone ?)

Last edited:
The usual player relo's post.

F/S.

Kynan Brown. (Nathan, Melbourne
Will McCabe. (Luke, Hawthorn.)
Charlie Naish. (Chris, Richmond.) (Not for Port Adelaide.)

Ineligible F/S.

Jack Callinan. (Ian, Adelaide.)
Sam Frangalas. (Gary, Richmond and Sydney.)
Clay Hall. (Derek, West Coast and Geelong.)

Siblings.

Alex Molan. (Sophie, Richmond AFLW.)

Grandsons.

?

Other.

Coen Livingstone. (Nephew of Chance Bateman, Hawthorn.)
Darcy Wilson. (Great-uncle was Mick Nolan from North Melbourne.)

Will Lorenz' section.

Grandfather, Graham Arthur. (Hawthorn.)
Great-grandfather, Alan Arthur. (Essendon.)
Great-great-uncle, Harold Arthur. (North Melbourne.)

Zane Duursma's section.

Brother, Xavier. (Port Adelaide.)
Sister, Yasmin. (Port Adelaide.)
Uncle, Jamie. (Sydney, Melbourne.)

Nate Caddy's section.

Dad, Saul. (Footscray, 0 games.)
Uncle, Josh. (Gold Coast, Geelong, Richmond.)
Great-uncle, Michael Reeves. (North Melbourne, Fitzroy.)
Great-grandfather, John Reeves. (North Melbourne, St Kilda.)
First cousin 1x removed, Ned Reeves. (Hawthorn.)
Great-great-uncle, Robert Dean. (Collingwood and South Melbourne.)

Archer Reid's section.

Brother, Zach. (Essendon.)
Grandfather, Peter McRae. (Footscray.)
Great-uncle, Frank McRae. (Footscray.)
Great-uncle, Colin McRae. (Fitzroy.) (Peter, Frank and Colin are/were brothers.)
1st cousin 1x removed, Dean McRae. (North Melbourne, Sydney.) (Son of Colin.)​

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL UNDER 17 ALL STARS GAME SUPERCOACH RANKING POINTS

TEAM HOULI

127 – Alex Holt

125 – Daniel Curtin

104 – Jack Delean

102 – Archie Roberts

91 – Mahmoud Taha

90 – Darcy Wilson

89 – Jack Callinan

87 – Colby McKercher

80 – Kane McAuliffe

78 – Nathan Philactides

76 – Sam Frangalas

68 – Cam Nyko

64 – Luca Slade

60 – Bradley McDonald

57 – Coen Livingstone

56 – Will Graham

48 – Jed Walter

45 – Luamon Lual

38 – Harrison Francis

33 – Connor O’Sullivan

31 – Michael Rudd

26 – Ethan Read

TEAM MURPHY

135 – Ryley Sanders

126 – Caiden Cleary

124 – Will Lorenz

104 – Ben Ridgway

102 – Will Patton

101 – Harvey Thomas

90 – Logan Morris

80 – Cooper Simpson

80 – Jake Rogers

76 – Arie Schoenmaker

76 – Koltyn Tholstrup

73 – Kobe Shipp

72 – Zane Duursma

72 – Billy Richardson

69 – Joe Pike

68 – Lachlan Cabor

68 – Riley Hardeman

38 – Archer Reid

35 – Orlando Turner

33 – Will McCabe

31 – Kynan Brown

26 – William Green

PMBangers what is your rankings for this draft crop?
I think a lot of teams - especially those that missed the 8 - that will be gun shy to trade their future 1st next year.

Reid & Reid, Curtain, Duursma, Watson, Walter.

Some amazing top end talent. That would go early this year if available.

I think a lot of teams - especially those that missed the 8 - that will be gun shy to trade their future 1st next year.

Nate Caddy as well, if he improves on the glimpse of midfield craft he showed late in the year he's another to add to the list of hyper-impactful goal-kicking midfielders. Very reminiscent of Nick Riewoldt, athletic and rangy CHF, even has the blonde mop.

I agree. Next years talent is very strong and it goes deep. All 6 mentioned are quality talents. The more of walter i see the more I like. He will be right up there in 2023 as high as pick 2 potentially come this time next year.

update on 2023, 1 change to the top 30 Chad Reschke in and Will Patton out, then i increased it to a top 40.

1. Harley Reid - Bend - 185cm - absolute star, can play in all positions, can negate Nick Watson, outmark Lewis Hayes in the goal square, does everything
2. Jed Walter - GCS A - 194cm - big lump of a lad, goal kicking machine
3. Daniel Curtin - Clare - 195cm - star defender, won the best on in the u17's
4. Nate Caddy - North - 190cm - marking forward, might need work on goal kicking, but is a dangerous forward
5. Nick Watson - East - 169cm - dangerous small forward, fights hard and never gives up
6. Koltyn Tholstrup - Subi - 188cm - skillful forward who can also find it in the midfield, beautiful strong mark too
7. Jack Delean - Sth Adel - 181cm - good mark for his size and can also be a dangerous forward
8. Zane Duursma - Gipps - 188cm - forward/midfielder, Vic Country would have loved his goal kicking skills in the u18 champs decider
9. Nathan Philactides - Oak - 180cm - tough uncompromising defender
10. Ashton Moir - Glenlg - 186cm - skillful forward with a nice ability to take pack marks and a mark on a lead
11. Koen Sanchez - Est Frem - 176cm - skillful midfielder who went forward at the champs and looked good there
12. Jake Rogers - GCS A - 172cm - speedy small midfielder, quality player, was a sensation for GCS A iagainst the NAB League and starred for the Allies in the champs imo
13. Archer Reid - Gipps - 201cm - tall forward, tore it up at the Vic Trials, but didnt have the best champs, can turn it on every now and then
14. Riley Hardeman - Swan Dist - 185cm - classy speedy winger who was a great winger in the 2021 WAFL Colts GF and has been consistent since
15. Ben Ridgeway - Glenlg - 181cm - really dynamic midfielder, tough and can win the hard ball
16. Archie Roberts - Sand - 183cm - another classy winger from the Sandringham factory
17. Will Lorenz - Oak - 186cm - quality smooth midfielder, grandson of Hawks Legend Graham Arthur
18. Logan Morris - West - 192cm - quality FF for the Jets, surprised he didnt get more opportunity at the state level
19. Luamon Lual - GWV - 181cm - was a real difference maker in the Trials, not sure why he didnt get into the champs squad, but he looks the goods
20. Colby McKercher - Tas - 181cm - a really talented winger who i would like to see if he can play more midfield next season
21. Chad Reschke - Sturt - 187cm - leads all day, a bit chunky but has surprising speed on the lead, good strong mark as well, kicked 68 goals in u18 this yr
22. Alex Molan - GWV - 177cm - dynamic flanker/midfielder, always in the play and nearly always does something good with the footy
23. Sam Frangalas - Dand - 187cm - big strong midfielder/flanker, needs to find his position and dominate
24. George Stevens - GWV - 190cm - did an ACL i believe last year, but was fantastic prior to injury
25. Mitch Edwards - Peel - 196cm - quality tall in this draft, because of the lack of high end talls could go earlier, but theres so many quality sml/med forwards in this draft
26. Alex Holt - Sturt - 180cm - good hbf/wing, played well at times this year in the u17's and u18's
27. Oliver Badr - Oak - 177cm - good solid midfielder, has played well but could drop down the order if he doesnt show improvement
28. Will McCabe - Cent Dist - 196cm - quick and courageous tall forward/defender, need to see more but the potential is high and could go 1st/2nd rd?
29. Darcy Weeks - West - 178cm - solid inside midfielder, he and Lorenz + B.Wilson impressed me in a game a month or so ago, tough inside mid red head
30. Clay Hall - Peel - 189cm - hard working midfielder, just goes all game, good natural endurance it seems

31. Will Patton - West Adel - 191cm - solid defender from SA
32. Billy Wilson - Dand - 181cm - another quality outside type from dandenong, he Lorenz and Weeks really put their names up a few weeks ago
33. Michael Rudd - Geel - 191cm - another good marking medium forward this time from Geelong
34. Luca Slade - Sturt - 180cm - another good winger from SA
35. Coby James - Murray - 176cm - speedy hbf, i really liked him from the Vic Trials, no one is talking about him but he is quality
36. Caleb Windsor - Eastern - 184cm - was really good for Eastern earlier i nthe year outplaying his brother Kai in the midfield
37. Caiden Cleary - Syd A - 180cm - good midfielder from Syd A, a bit up and down in form, but a solid player
38. Ryley Sanders - Sand/Tas - 185cm - has potential to be top 20, but hasnt put it all together just yet
39. Riley Weatherill - Eastern - 195cm - tall forward with a good amount of talent another to impress at the Vic Trials in Werribee
40. Ethan Read - GCS A - 200cm - had a good couple games this year and has a lot of potential with his athleticism

other talented players to keep an eye on in 2023

Darcy Wilson, Harvey Thomas, Kobe Shipp, Xavier Walsh, Cam Nyko, James Lugsdin, Kynan Brown, Mahmoud Taha, Cooper Simpson, Jack Callinan, Diesel Moloney, Charlie Hillier (Patrick Weckert + Riak Andrew + Coen Livingstone ?)
Moir has to be top 3 doesnt he?

Maybe needs to show midfield ability, if he hasnt already

I havnt seen Walters, Curtin ect but Moir looked ridiculously good vs WA and a great size with alot of tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back