VFLW Game Day 2022 VFLW Finals - Grand Final vs Southern Saints - Essendon wins the flag! 🏆

GRAND FINAL vs Southern Saints
Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
Teams for the 2022 VFLW Grand Final…

Played this Sunday 12:15pm at ETU Stadium (North Port Oval) - FREE ENTRY - Forecast of a cloudy day and 13 degrees.

TV - Channel 7 (and AFL.com.au)
Radio - WARFRadio.com (from 11am) and 89.1FM at the ground

ESSENDON
B21. A. Morcom45. B. Clarke
HB13. E. Hosking14. D. Marshall16. T. Crook
C1. C. Ugle5. G. Nanscawen9. M.Anthony
HF22. N. MacDonald44. G. Dicker26. J. Doonan
F4. M. Clifford24. R. Tierney
R30. S.Nalder28. A. Barba42. J. Zanchetta
INT8. E. Ashley-Cooper18. K. Heil23. A. Radford
17. F.Frew20. C. McIntosh
EMG15. L.Caruso7. J. Davies19. N. Julian
43. O. DiDonato10. E. Cornish46. G. Elarmaly
40. D Ryan
INSNil
OUTSNil
SOUTHERN SAINTS
B35. I. Gentile4. D. Jolliffe
HB6. G. McLean16. A. Hynes26. C. Saultry
C50. C. Ryan5. M. Capsalis9. W. Laing
HF19. O. Flanagan23. T. Kearns24. K. Ripari
F39. G. De Angelis1. C. Slater
R22. S. Black11. H. Stuart25. R. Neaves
INT32. G. Buchan53. P. Staltari33. O. Robinson
12. N. Cormack34. C. Keohane
EMG8. E, Nixon36. K. Prendergast31. A. Peck
57. B. Enno
INSNil
OUTSNil

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
Through to the major semi-final next week, where we will be playing against the Casey Demons at Windy Hill.

Casey were originally ranked third after the H&A season. We beat them in a close one three weeks ago in Round 14, 4.3 27 to 2.9 21, so I hope we've learned from that to make sure we beat them more thoroughly this time!

If we win this, we're straight through to the grand final, while the loser plays in the prelim against the winner of the other semi (Hawthorn vs Southern Saints) – so if we lose we may well face Hawthorn again hah.

Major Semi-Final (Winner to GF, loser to PF) against Casey Demons confirmed as 11:05am Sunday, 19th June at Windy Hill - FREE ENTRY

Albertross

Club Legend
Feb 26, 2015
North of the border
AFL Club
Essendon
Can someone please explain to me why we play the higher ranked team?

This will be a tough game, they had at least 3 AFLW listed players running around when we last played them and they all had a significant impact on the game.

Can someone please explain to me why we play the higher ranked team?

This will be a tough game, they had at least 3 AFLW listed players running around when we last played them and they all had a significant impact on the game.
The lower ranked one goes into an elimination final against the loser of 1v2, higher ranked winner gets the second chance but has to play the winner of 1v2.

Hawthorn have an easier opponent but if they lose they’re out.

Yeah, it seems to have changed again. I tried logging in to live stream and it redirected to the AFL site or somewhere.
It works fine for me, I tried going to the website, signing in and clicking the Essendon vs Hawthorn button near the bottom left, and it worked fine. Then I clicked Katie's link and that works fine too.

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
It works fine for me, I tried going to the website, signing in and clicking the Essendon vs Hawthorn button near the bottom left, and it worked fine. Then I clicked Katie's link and that works fine too.
Yeah, I meant live. Previously just went to VFLW.TV and streamed away. Then they started asking for a log in. This weekend i logged in and had to redirect.

Yeah, I meant live. Previously just went to VFLW.TV and streamed away. Then they started asking for a log in. This weekend i logged in and had to redirect.
Oh, yeah it's different every week. At the start of the season and all last year it was on YouTube, then VFLW.TV, sometimes with WARF commentary and sometimes without. Now a log in is required, and the finals are all on AFL.com.au anyway. It's really messy. CrowdedHouse always knows what's up so I just do what I'm told based on what he posts here 😝

I think ultimately it should all just be on AFL.com.au with the ability to stream it onto the TV, which is what they're doing with U18s and VFL so makes sense to do everything that way where broadcast rights agreement allows.

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
Oh, yeah it's different every week. At the start of the season and all last year it was on YouTube, then VFLW.TV, sometimes with WARF commentary and sometimes without. Now a log in is required, and the finals are all on AFL.com.au anyway. It's really messy. CrowdedHouse always knows what's up so I just do what I'm told based on what he posts here 😝

I think ultimately it should all just be on AFL.com.au with the ability to stream it onto the TV, which is what they're doing with U18s and VFL so makes sense to do everything that way where broadcast rights agreement allows.

For the finals, weeks 1, 2 and 3 are produced and streamed by AFL.com.au with the replay (meant to be) straight after on VFLW.TV - there was a delay this week due to their coding.

For the Grand Final, it will be on Channel 7, plus relayed through AFL.com.au, with the replay on VFLW.TV

WARFRadio.com (with our 89.1 FM signal at the ground) will continue with just our radio only call... cause who would want the most knowledgeable VFLW call team on the official finals stream :rolleyes:

WARFRadio.com (with our 89.1 FM signal at the ground) will continue with just our radio only call... cause who would want the most knowledgeable VFLW call team on the official finals stream :rolleyes:
I tried to sync it up on Saturday but the WARF radio commentary is about a minute ahead of the video and I can't seem to get it on a slight delay :/

Like I managed to get the WARF radio commentary coming out of the TV sound system and everything and it was just :( :( :(

Was looking at the injury lists, we drew with Hawthorn in Round 12 when we had a heap of players out with COVID protocols. I feel like it wouldn't be a draw if we'd been full strength :grimacing:

The Saints draw in Round 5 had no Nanscawen, Dicker, Clarke, MacDonald all injured, Ayre and Barba hadn't played at all yet (Barba still at GC, not sure where Ayre was at the time but she also joined later). Ford had also just joined Sydney, but we've done fine without her ever since.

Semi Final vs Casey Demons
Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
Teams for the VFLW Semi-Final - Live on WARFRadio.com and 89.1FM at Windy Hill from 10am Sunday - FREE ENTRY!!!!

ESSENDON
B21. A. Morcom45. B. Clarke
HB13. E. Hosking14. D. Marshall16. T. Crook
C1. C. Ugle5. G. Nanscawen9. M.Anthony
HF22. N. MacDonald44. G. Dicker26. J. Doonan
F4. M. Clifford24. R. Tierney
R30. S.Nalder28. A. Barba42. J. Zanchetta
INT8. E. Ashley-Cooper18. K. Heil23. A. Radford
17. F.Frew20. C. McIntosh
EMG34. E. Everist15. L.Caruso7. J. Davies
43. O. DiDonato
INSNil
OUTSNil
CASEY DEMONS
B18. E. OConnor7. C. Selleck
HB16. B. Woolcock12. A. Brown30. R. Grant
C34. C. Blair33. A. Dowler38. A. Kirkwood
HF25. M. Harasimiuk15. C. McCrossan8. S. Fairchild
F37. B. Borchard22. S. Wales
R9. L. Wales14. M. Chaplin26. E. Horne
INT27. A. Laing45. M. Hogg23. Z. Mitchell
58. C. Conroy50. K. Angelis
EMG29. A. Blair32. T. Reiter
INS12. A. Brown58. C. Conroy27. A. Laing
OUTS39. T. Gillard36. G. Campbell11. E. West

Injury report for us…

Nicole Julian - Calf (2 Weeks)
Eleanor Cornish - Hamstring (1 Week)

Albertross

Club Legend
Feb 26, 2015
North of the border
AFL Club
Essendon
Need to be at our best today. We were probably a bit fortunate last time to get the win.

Both the Hawks and Casey have been effective in shuttling down Nanscawen this year.

They had at least 3 AFLW listed players who played last time we met, with each having as significant impact on the game.

Despite tomorrows outcome, I think that this will be a GF preview.

Last edited:
looks like casey's had a lot of the ball for no reward. if that goal had gone through in time on the siren it would've killed em spiritually

QT

1.1 7
0.3 3

They’re playing well. Tough opponent but some lethal tackles from Barbs, probably the highlight for me.

Ball is basically just coming straight into Casey’s forward line, our defence is pretty solid then up the wing and we kick a goal and then back down the near side wing and they kick a point, back up the wing 😅 bit like doing laps

Back