Who will win the Victorian election

• Labor

Votes: 128 87.1%
  • Coalition

Votes: 19 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

EXCEPT, even accept, WA took it on up front .... it does underline the failure of other State Governments of both colours, a difficult concept for those wanting to blame the other mob, e.g the William Wonka types.
Exactly right, this isn't a partisan issue, governments of both persuasions have had (and continue to have) skin in the game.

Talking about an energy reservation plan now is basically virtue signalling, practically it's not going to happen.

What's the mechanism for reimbursing the operators for this? Wanting to quarantine materials is a noble idea, but without any redress for lost income (bearing in mind this would be an adjustment to existing arrangements) any proposal is destined to end up in court.

We like to look down our noses at other jurisdictions that try to arbitrarily change arrangements (e.g. mining rights in Africa) and proclaim that we don't have any of those sorts of sovereignty risks here. Regardless of the rationale for doing it (which is sound) a move like this would be no different.
Governments both State and Federal have huge amounts of coercive powers available, there is almost nothing they cannot do if they are willing to wear the electoral response.

The risks of it being a 'bad look' in limitation of exports pale so far into insignificance when compared to keeping the lights on and the population warm.

Andrews (and every other leader in the country) will quite happily send riot police into the Shell boardroom before the State blacks out.

Governments both State and Federal have huge amounts of coercive powers available, there is almost nothing they cannot do if they are willing to wear the electoral response.

The risks of it being a 'bad look' in limitation of exports pale so far into insignificance when compared to keeping the lights on and the population warm.

Andrews (and every other leader in the country) will quite happily send riot police into the Shell boardroom before the State blacks out.

The Shell boardroom ... the truth is WA got it right & the cocked up east coast States did not, & allowing apologists, like your good self, refuse to hold them to account for purely political purposes.

Last edited:
I wish we could get this over and done with now so that we can curb the 'let it rip' approach which is done to appease the nutjob voters. We all know what the result will be (Danslide) so cut the crap and campaigning and lets just get it over and done with within a fortnight so that sensible rules can be put in place.
What would you see as sensible rules? Because I’m not seeing anything (even a lockdown) which will do anything to suppress the curve now

Yep the failure of State Governments on the east coast to reserve gas for local consumption is the problem. The template was set nearly 20 years ago by Carpenter Labor Government in WA, where there is no utensil up.

D'Ambrosio is now looking to other States to fill the bill otherwise she would simply blame the Feds secure in the knowledge the voters would not know power is a State responsibility, see WA who dont have the problem.

So Wonka esq you can comfort yourself the template was a result of a Labor Government, the Vics ...
Tbh most do not give a s**t for the separation between state and federal. They see government and see something government should fix. Witness money wasted playing cost shift games between community health care (federal) and hospitals (state with federal part contribution).

dude stop trying to make the election seem exciting

its like 95% going to be reduced labor majority

nobody actually thinks the libs could win
Antony Green will call the election like last time. 1 hour and 24 minutes in. It's that much of a non race

Tbh most do not give a s**t for the separation between state and federal. They see government and see something government should fix. Witness money wasted playing cost shift games between community health care (federal) and hospitals (state with federal part contribution).

Agree wholeheartedly. Blame the Feds is an art form & the media are lazy in their reporting. Its not just health, education suffers too.

Antony Green will call the election like last time. 1 hour and 24 minutes in. It's that much of a non race
At least Antony Green and his ABC colleagues will have an early night, not like their CNN counterparts in the 2000 US presidential election between Republican nominee George W Bush, and his Democrat counterpart Al Gore, where they were still doing their election night coverage at 4am US time due to major issues surrounding the results in Florida.

At least Antony Green and his ABC colleagues will have an early night, not like their CNN counterparts in the 2000 US presidential election between Republican nominee George W Bush, and his Democrat counterpart Al Gore, where they were still doing their election night coverage at 4am US time due to major issues surrounding the results in Florida.
You are 100% correct

What would you see as sensible rules? Because I’m not seeing anything (even a lockdown) which will do anything to suppress the curve now

Definitely no lockdown. On the top of my head for starters density restrictions, directive to improve air quality (more air purifiers and heaters when doors/windows have to be open), and better mask enforcement like on public transport.

There was a piece on the abc a few months ago where a school took a smoke machine around their school and put air purifiers where all the smoke built up and they were at the time, one of the the only schools in Australia without a covid cluster spread.

It’s ridiculous to specifically target kids at schools wearing masks when the rest of society is pretty much going about their normal life.

Definitely no lockdown. On the top of my head for starters density restrictions, directive to improve air quality (more air purifiers and heaters when doors/windows have to be open), and better mask enforcement like on public transport.

There was a piece on the abc a few months ago where a school took a smoke machine around their school and put air purifiers where all the smoke built up and they were at the time, one of the the only schools in Australia without a covid cluster spread.

It’s ridiculous to specifically target kids at schools wearing masks when the rest of society is pretty much going about their normal life.

As for hospital beds ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Density restrictions would just drive people to get together at home, and no one in their home will not have decent air quality or the equipment to improve it, so i don't see how that works.

This was always going to blow up in winter, nothing was going to slow it other than lockdown, and that was never going to happen, the governments cannot keep spending money like they have for the last two years, something they had to do.

People won't run heaters then have windows and doors open, especially with the cost of living rising, you might as well just light up 50 dollar notes, because that is all you would be doing.

The big key item through all of this is get vaccinated , and keep on top of it with boosters when needed, yes the vaccinations don't stop you getting it, but it limits the severity.

I think the only policy which would get people voting at the moment is health care.

Somehow the LNP have to convince the voting public that they will improve the health system. They have a number of problems in that area:

1) Claiming "efficiencies" will solve the problem aint going to work, nobody believes it.
2) They gut the health system every time they're in office, so nobody's going to believe a pledge about more funding either.
3) They don't have the ability to put together and deliver a decent policy. They haven't released a policy since prior to the Bracks Govt (Baillieu Napthine didn't have any policies that I can recall).
4) Most of the party are pushing narrow vote-losing ideology like opposing gays and foreigners.

They're a rabble both in Parliament and at the branch level.

I'd love to see the odds of the Greens taking more seats from the ALP than the Libs.

There's a very real chance that within 15 years the Victorian state political landscape is ALP-Greens-Nationals-Libs

I think the only policy which would get people voting at the moment is health care.

Somehow the LNP have to convince the voting public that they will improve the health system. They have a number of problems in that area:

1) Claiming "efficiencies" will solve the problem aint going to work, nobody believes it.
2) They gut the health system every time they're in office, so nobody's going to believe a pledge about more funding either.
3) They don't have the ability to put together and deliver a decent policy. They haven't released a policy since prior to the Bracks Govt (Baillieu Napthine didn't have any policies that I can recall).
4) Most of the party are pushing narrow vote-losing ideology like opposing gays and foreigners.

They're a rabble both in Parliament and at the branch level.

I'd love to see the odds of the Greens taking more seats from the ALP than the Libs.

There's a very real chance that within 15 years the Victorian state political landscape is ALP-Greens-Nationals-Libs

Its Dans to lose, & the only thing the LNP can do is a great campaign a la the job on ScoMo.

Doubt it. History is littered with examples of the ALP and Libs being ousted from government and doomsayers declaring the loser is finished as a force. The Libs will reinvent themselves. It's a bit like a s**t football team having to rebuild to become a force again; it takes time and patience. In 1992 people were saying Labor in Victoria was a spent force.

Density restrictions would just drive people to get together at home, and no one in their home will not have decent air quality or the equipment to improve it, so i don't see how that works.

This was always going to blow up in winter, nothing was going to slow it other than lockdown, and that was never going to happen, the governments cannot keep spending money like they have for the last two years, something they had to do.

People won't run heaters then have windows and doors open, especially with the cost of living rising, you might as well just light up 50 dollar notes, because that is all you would be doing.

The big key item through all of this is get vaccinated , and keep on top of it with boosters when needed, yes the vaccinations don't stop you getting it, but it limits the severity.

I didn't mean density limits at home, just at restaurant/function events for example (they'd have to be compensated with loss of revenue).

Re: heaters etc - again would be subsidised by the state govt. Instead of spending utterly stupid campaigns on free $250 amounts to compare your electricity etc, it could go to buying more air purifiers/heating. Govt's can keep spending money, it's just that they're currently spending it on stupid things (West Gate tunnel etc).

We are decently vaccinated though barring the slow uptake of the 3rd jab, it's the ones that slip through the net of severity that is clogging the hospitals as they were already struggling before covid.

Doubt it. History is littered with examples of the ALP and Libs being ousted from government and doomsayers declaring the loser is finished as a force. The Libs will reinvent themselves. It's a bit like a s**t football team having to rebuild to become a force again; it takes time and patience. In 1992 people were saying Labor in Victoria was a spent force.
The Libs were in power in Vic from 55 to 82. The issue was that the ALP was divided.

The overall quality of politicians has also drastly reduced, particularly at the state level. Quite simply, most people who would usually be involved/running as LNP candidates don't want to take a 50% pay cut from their corporate job to become a State MP. So we get failed small business owners and career politicians who studied law (i.e. people who have never had a real job, like Andrews).

So we just wait until the ALP implodes (as it will), but if they get through this implosion cycle, who knows when the next one will be.

Google Dee Madigan .....
Haha, took a real advertising genius to know that Scott Morrison was an incompetent buffoon who stuffed up everything he touched his whole life.

I would be impressed by the campaign if it was a take-down of a credible decent PM. But it was the most incompetent and corrupt Govt in our history by a long long way.

I'm far more impressed with the campaign which got an incompetent moron elected than the one which got him defeated.

Matthew Guy is far less incompetent than Morrison.

Back