2022 WAFL General Discussion & News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all,

With the season well underway I thought it would be appropriate to get a general discussion, news and general banter thread going. Any news from the competition or the club you support is welcomed along with general discussion and any banter as well. Freofalcon and TheInjuryFactory, happy for your Garlic Muncher Cup banter to go in here. :thumbsu:

I'll start off with some news from the competition.

• East Fremantle are searching for a ground to play any potential home finals with the WACA out of action for September due to the commencement of Australian domestic cricket in October. Deck preparation at the WACA will need to commence in September in orde rfor domestic cricket to be played at the venue. It is believed East Fremantle are looking to play finals matches at Mineral Resources Park should they qualify for finals and win the right to host such a game.
  • East Fremantle's Sharon Wong has won the Dhara Kerr Medal as the WAFLW's Best and Fairest player on Monday Night. Wong polled 18 votes, four votes clear of teammate Ashleigh Gomes and Claremont's Ella Smith. Tied for fifth place were the Subiaco pairing of Tarnica Golisano and Jayme Harken.

It's been a great WAFL season so far, plenty of close matches with a few surprises along the way. WP as expected with the recruiting of Hamp, Meadows and Hutchings to be up there, and they duly are. EF have surprised folk, more so after their last minute player losses to WCE and then mid season to Port....obviously skating on thin ice if injuries kick in, but as an EF fan, it's great to see them competitive each week and winning games.

Cl continue to delve deep into their player depth hat and find players of WAFL quality....no surprises to see them entrenched in the 5. SD are playing good footy, on paper they looked the goods preseason and have found their mojo the last few weeks. Like EF though, will be hoping injuries don't set in as the season goes deep. SF as always remain strong, actually won a few games playing ugly, but good teams do that.....unlucky v WCE I guess, considering WCE injury woes.

Peel have enjoyed Freo's good fortune on the park, though a few injuries here and there show how Peel are vulnerable as the AFL season goes deep. Unlucky they lost Derksen mid season, but then again they dabbled themselves in a bit if mid season recruiting with picking up the young EP forward. EP have fallen short, expected them to be higher up on the table, but broke their losing streak v Cl and can see a resurgent 2nd half.

Subi have come back with a bump.....injuries and aging stars have played its part....got some good youngsters coming through but some a year or three away from being quality week in week out players. Perth once again have been hammered with injuries, which sadly they can't afford as the depth is paper thin and little quality coming through as their zones are barren to say the least.

Freeze a great summation of the season EF, Swans and WP for me are the ones to watch with WP being just a shade in front. Subiaco and Claremont will still be in the mix with Peel troubling sides with the extent of the Fremantle inclusions. Souths have lost a lot of talent but are always going to finishing well with a good coach at the helm. Perth need to do something, I think they have some good players but as you say depth is always going to be a challenge for them. I am loathe to make any predictions for us as I am never sure what our next step will be, we have seemingly fixed our forward line, our mids get a lot of the ball but when you compare the ratings to other high possession winners we just aren't as efficient and with a shortish backline we will need to have (using a racing parlance) some luck in running

Just watched the 16's game against Vic Metro, good win to WA. Similar skills, similar sizes but we just seemed a little more aggressive at ball and player. Couple of the Vic boys must never have been tackled properly before.Good players - Harry Jones - SD,Jaxon Douglas - CL and Trent Hiscock - WP

• East Fremantle could yet play home finals at East Fremantle Oval (known as New Choice Homes Park for sponsorship reasons) with the WACA unavailable for finals during September due to preparation for the upcoming domestic cricket season. The redevelopment of East Fremantle Oval is believed to have been delayed which would leave the venue available to host any WAFL finals matches should East Fremantle secure the right to come the end of the WAFL season. It was believed that East Fremantle wanted to play any home finals at Mineral Resources Park but with East Fremantle Oval likely to be available, the Sharks will play any finals matches they host at their traditional home ground.
  • Perth Stadium will not host the WAFL Grand Final with the venue set to be unavailable due to the rescheduling of an international Twenty20 cricket game between Australia and England on 7 October. South Fremantle have expressed interested in hosting the match at Fremantle Oval as they did in 2020 when the game was held there due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
  • West Coast Eagles will again field a team in the WAFL in 2023 with the club committing to staying in the WAFL for next season. The Eagles are also expected to ask for recruiting concessions with the club aiming to field a more competitive outfit in the WAFL next year.

Leederville Oval was in ripping shape on Saturday.

1658560918057-png.1454142

Nothing has changed with the local management, the good thing for EP is that it is more like Loton Park each winter. MMM running water down the far wing in ankle dip brown water, my wife took days to bleach the stain out of the whites.

Interesting that the rumours and complaining seemed to have started quite early this year. Perth the perennial complainers and with the usual wish list, surprising that some Subi supporters have started questioning their season and future. I suppose after the success they enjoyed over the past years it is a bit difficult to deal with, that and the loss of the golden handshake now creating a dwindling cash flow maybe starting to bite.

WP cannot do much right with some folk, still berating them for their financial mismanagement even tho' their team is largely their own. I still question the circumstances and bail out but their on field performance is something to behold. As for my team it is still everyone elses fault and not the coaching, oh well they want go back to the dark days of spend, spend and not develop from within.

SUNDAY, 6 NOVEMBER 2022 FROM 13:00-16:00

Wayback WAFL at The Backlot 3 - The SWANS Hat Trick (1980-84)​

The Backlot Perth

Interesting that the rumours and complaining seemed to have started quite early this year. Perth the perennial complainers and with the usual wish list, surprising that some Subi supporters have started questioning their season and future. I suppose after the success they enjoyed over the past years it is a bit difficult to deal with, that and the loss of the golden handshake now creating a dwindling cash flow maybe starting to bite.

WP cannot do much right with some folk, still berating them for their financial mismanagement even tho' their team is largely their own. I still question the circumstances and bail out but their on field performance is something to behold. As for my team it is still everyone elses fault and not the coaching, oh well they want go back to the dark days of spend, spend and not develop from within.
Hmmm Boogyman there seems to be this theory WP are largely home grown WP zone lads but in reality it is not quite that way.
On Saturday they had 12 locals playing with 10 sourced from other WAFL clubs, zones and or Interstate.
And that was with the likes of other imports in Hutchings, Manzone & Delaporte not required or available who you would say are certainly in their best 25 if not 22!

• The WAFC has announced Leederville Oval will host the 2022 WAFL Grand Final on Saturday, 1 October after Perth Stadium was ruled unavailable due to hosting an international T20 cricket match on Sunday, 9 October. Leederville Oval's submission includes a capacity limit of 14,000 for the game along with a replacement and enhancement program for the turf at the ground which has come under scrutiny in recent weeks. This includes no football at the venue (both playing and training) in the four weeks preceding the season deciding match. The City of Vincent has also pledged to close the streets around the venue as well as converting Oxford Street and the surrounding area into a "festival of football" in the lead-up to the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could they have not moved the game at PS to Saturday or even Friday night.

Well there was an eight day gap between the two games, the WAFL GF is on Saturday, 1 October and then the T20 International on Sunday, 9 October. Apparently there wasn't enough time to get the ground ready for the game with the drop-in pitch and the preparation beforehand.

Personally, I'm pretty pissed off the WAFL has been shafted like this. Given the teams in contention for the GF and taking into account the crowd turnout last year, there's every chance they'd get 35,000 to the game, possibly even more which would be very good for the competition so they'd no doubt be fairly upset with how things have turned out.

I do hope the WAFL persist with the GF on the first Saturday in October in future seasons. I think it has been a smart initiative by them to do that and should no doubt attract a decent crowd for any potential future Grand Finals being the last footy game of the year.

The draft combine - WA players selected
Jed Adams (Peel Thunder)
Edward Allan (Claremont)
Jedd Busslinger (East Perth)
Harry Cole (Claremont)
Hugh Davies (Claremont)
Tyrell Dewar (Subiaco)
Sam Gilbey (Claremont)
Reuben Ginbey (East Perth)
Steely Green (South Fremantle)
Jed Hagan (East Fremantle)
Elijah Hewett (Swan Districts)
Darcy Jones (Swan Districts)

There a couple other players included - McQuilkin from SF plus another lad from EP. (will update when I can find the info)

Well there was an eight day gap between the two games, the WAFL GF is on Saturday, 1 October and then the T20 International on Sunday, 9 October. Apparently there wasn't enough time to get the ground ready for the game with the drop-in pitch and the preparation beforehand.

Personally, I'm pretty pissed off the WAFL has been shafted like this. Given the teams in contention for the GF and taking into account the crowd turnout last year, there's every chance they'd get 35,000 to the game, possibly even more which would be very good for the competition so they'd no doubt be fairly upset with how things have turned out.

I do hope the WAFL persist with the GF on the first Saturday in October in future seasons. I think it has been a smart initiative by them to do that and should no doubt attract a decent crowd for any potential future Grand Finals being the last footy game of the year.
What about Fremantle Oval?

What about Fremantle Oval?

For the Grand Final? Leederville Oval has won the rights to host the game after a bidding process was undertaken. Fremantle Oval, Arena Joondalup and two other grounds also submitted bids for the game.

• East Perth have sacked League coach Jeremy Barnard. Barnard, who was in his fourth season as coach had taken East Perth to seventh place with 6-10 win/loss record through the first 18 rounds of the season after recording a 6-12 record last year was saw them finish in eighth place. In 2020, the Royals finished fifth with a 4-4 record in the COVID-19 shortened season and just miss the finals after the WAFL opted for a top four finals series that year while Barnard's first season as coach yielded a 5-13 record and a ninth place finish. Senior assistant coach Steve McQueen will take coach the League for the final two matches of the season.
  • Perth have also sacked their League coach with Garry Moss informed today that his contract would not be renewed for 2023 after three seasons in charge. Moss took Perth to its first finals series in 23 years in 2020 with the club qualifying for the finals in fourth place with a 4-4 win/loss record while last year saw the Demons finish in ninth with four wins and 14 losses, avoiding the wooden spoon via a superior percentage. This season has the Demons also in ninth place with a 3-13 record with two games to play. Assistant coach Steven Armstrong will coach the League side for the final two rounds of the season.

Bit of talk both clubs will be trying to link up with ex Subi premiership coach Peter Germon.....Moss was on a hiding to nothing with Perth's extended injury list, whilst EP were on the cusp at times under Barnard. Good luck to both clubs in their search for a coach.

Not sure abt German, my understanding from the picket fence is he wants more of an administration role, better security and pay, do not blame him as being a coach is such a tenuous position.

Apparently Sumich (NOOO!) and Sellwood are on the list.

Just have to wait and see for EP.

As for Perth I am sorry for Moss, good bloke and easy to work with in the development processes at EP. Senior coach is a big step up and he will have learnt a lot from his stint at Perth.

• Swan Districts' defender Tony Notte has ruptured his ACL and will miss the remainder of the 2022 season. Notte has committed to Swan Districts for 2023 and is aiming to return in the second half of the season.
  • A number of candidates are in the mix for the vacant senior coach positions at Perth and East Perth. Peter Sumich, Adam Selwood, Chris Mayne, Quinten Lynch, Kyal Horsley, Peter German, Steve Malaxos and Anthony Rock are among a group of people interested in either position.

According to a wireless station Sumich is not looking for a gig but ya never never know what will eventuate

Just a note whilst I think of it.

The AFL teams in WA, have tried to get their own way in the WAFL, by cobbling together their own teams ( Peel = foot up ). We now have tried this setup for a while, and the facts are now in.

The pathway for AFL listed players, was better being spread around the WAFL teams. I hate to be seen as throwing darts, but the Beagles are firmly stuck in reverse gear.

To the AFL clubs, bite your lip and work in with the WAFL. With co-operation, both groups can prosper.

Well Peelmantle has made a big statement coming into this week's finals.....shades of 2016 & 17 with their parachuting of AFL aligned players into the WAFL finals series.....obviously less Freo boys will be allowed to play this year compared to in the past.

Should be a cracking contest v SF on Sunday.....for me on paper SF have the height and physicality to provide Peelmantle a sterner contest then SD provided yesterday. Free, Strom x2, Miller, Shaw and Schlensog provide the defensive and forward height, which the other WAFL teams don't have, to test Peelmantle....whilst Florenca(if back), Schloithe, Suban and Ah Chee provide some quality through the midfield.

Be interesting to see which 12 aligned boys Peelmantle use this weekend....15 were selected v SD, only 14 played with Tucker getting injured early, plus Sebit and Western played reserves and Johnson played neither....so whatever 12 Peelmantle settle for, they will be the best credentialed ones available.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back