Fixture 2022 WCE Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Point is, other teams get percentage boost that WC is not given each year.....

The point is, WC needs to get it's s**t together from round 1 and the reality is the Suns should be considered a soft draw regardless of history & point-in-time comparisons to previous years.

I totally agree with the sentiment that if we can't beat the Suns in round 1 on our home deck then we're not heading in the right direction.

I just love that people here believe the idea that the fixturing people at the AFL sit down to prepare round 1, and their first thought isn't the GF rematch, or what blockbusters they could schedule, but to ensure that they screw us over by scheduling us against a team with a slightly better historical W/L in the first month of the season than the rest of the year.

So all 10 Victorian teams play amongst themselves in Victoria round 1 in a festival of footy. I’ve no issue with this as it’s a good idea to bring footy back to Victoria with a bang after they’ve missed so much over the last 2 years

It means they all play a game in their home state and all their home fans get to watch their team live round 1

Great opportunity for the AFL to replicate that in all states by pairing each of the Qld,NSW,SA and WA teams and make a real thing of the return to football

But yeah let’s focus on Victoria and the non-Victorian teams become an afterthought. Never change VAFL

Zero chance the AFL burn 4 marquee fixtures like that where stadium capacity is a real issue though.

I don't know why people are shocked we have the Sunday afternoon/evening game though. Perth teams have started at that slot I think every year since 2016.

It is funny reading someone complain that "Freo must be filthy starting away from home 3 years in a row" when we are just as filthy starting at home the same three years.

I was a bit jacked when I first saw the Sunday afternoon slot again, but when you look at who is playing on Sunday it is really a collection of who played pretty crap football at the back end of last year. I know the AFL don't give a $hit about teams outside of Victoria but sometimes you get what you deserve.

I just love that people here believe the idea that the fixturing people at the AFL sit down to prepare round 1, and their first thought isn't the GF rematch, or what blockbusters they could schedule, but to ensure that they screw us over by scheduling us against a team with a slightly better historical W/L in the first month of the season than the rest of the year.
So how come always playing GC??

Point is, other teams get percentage boost that WC is not given each year.....
Pardon the intrusion, but we were just as shafted as you were when we received an away game against Essendon as our first fixture. It was anything BUT a percentage boost.

Obviously they don’t but you’re a bit naive to think that they don’t look at all Vic benefits first before they consider the interstate clubs.

Did anyone say that though?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So are we still having our traditional early season Queensland g
So all 10 Victorian teams play amongst themselves in Victoria round 1 in a festival of footy. I’ve no issue with this as it’s a good idea to bring footy back to Victoria with a bang after they’ve missed so much over the last 2 years

It means they all play a game in their home state and all their home fans get to watch their team live round 1

Great opportunity for the AFL to replicate that in all states by pairing each of the Qld,NSW,SA and WA teams and make a real thing of the return to football

But yeah let’s focus on Victoria and the non-Victorian teams become an afterthought. Never change VAFL

A derby in Round 1? You've got to be ******* kidding. That's a terrible idea. It's happened once before and I recall an interview with David Wirrapanda when the fixture was released and he basically rolled his eyes at the thought of it. Neither club wanted it.

Strange we’re starting at home again this year. Wasn’t there a big huff and puff from
Freo after we won the flag?

Real uninspiring first game though
My understanding is that we got a bit pissy a couple years ago about how Freo have exclusivity to playing Anzac round in Perth (their Len Hall game) so it was agreed upon that we'd get the season opener at home as a trade off. Looks like we'll be playing every first round in Perth in the foreseeable future.

Love the armchair ride they gave the Melbourne clubs in Round 1, f***ing Gil and his VFL comp.

In regards to us, i'm shocked that we get another home fixture to open the season but we must take advantage, I don't see us beating the Suns though to be quite honest, if they have a full lineup I think they can run us off the park, they probably should have won last year but fell away in the last quarter.

Love the armchair ride they gave the Melbourne clubs in Round 1, f***ing Gil and his VFL comp.

In regards to us, i'm shocked that we get another home fixture to open the season but we must take advantage, I don't see us beating the Suns though to be quite honest, if they have a full lineup I think they can run us off the park, they probably should have won last year but fell away in the last quarter.
You obviously have low expectations for us next year then.

Let's be honest, the hugely unconvincing performance against GC in Round 1 this year was a pretty decent indicator of where the side was at (especially mentally). I'm actually pleased we're getting them again. Very much hoping we come out and make a statement with a big win. Anything less will have me concerned about a repeat season in the nether-zone.
True, a pretty uninspiring win.

My understanding is that we got a bit pissy a couple years ago about how Freo have exclusivity to playing Anzac round in Perth (their Len Hall game) so it was agreed upon that we'd get the season opener at home as a trade off. Looks like we'll be playing every first round in Perth in the foreseeable future.

Yeah never heard that, but interesting nonetheless. I’d probably rather rd22 at home if we’re a finals team but it’s less important whilst we have that moronic bye

I felt we should have gone through a mini rebuild at least this off season, I don't see the point in playing both Hurn and Kennedy next season.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app
If you think of them as the last two players in the squad, it makes perfect sense. If we had delisted them, who would we replace them with? Some spuds from the 4th round of the draft or some delisted free Agents?

One challenge to rebuilding is that the depth of talent drops quickly in the AFL, so it is hard to turnover large section of your list quickly. This is why teams like Carlton and Melbourne rebuilt for 10+ years. It's also why the Hawks were so desperate for more first rounders this year(as they are probably facing a 5-10 year rebuild).

A round one derby does nothing for both clubs as against a mid season derby that ensures both clubs are a break in the fortnightly travel. Anything that reduces the travel burden is a plus.
The FIX in the FIXture that annoys me is we invariably get a Qld game in the last month. It happens so often it must be built into the program aka a FIX.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back