2022 Women's Basketball World Cup Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Favourites the USA dispatched the plucky Belgians who shot 40% from deep.

The tiny nation of Puerto Rico beat the former part of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia in Bosnia-Herzegovina.

And in the battle of East Asia, powerhouse China whalloped the Korean team 107-44.

Lauren Jackson has made her comeback and already registered, as the nation battles the French. The commentary team includes the dulcet tones of Michelle Timms and Lauren Phillips. Did you know Phillips plays footy?

Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 9.07.08 pm.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 9.07.14 pm.png

Big_Luch

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Just no stars in this team, and no offensive threats. Coupled with a lack of effort to make up for the lack of talent. This feels alot like the Olympics.

Why George gets played ahead of Tolo is beyond me.

Oct 5, 2007
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Just no stars in this team, and no offensive threats. Coupled with a lack of effort to make up for the lack of talent. This feels alot like the Olympics.

Why George gets played ahead of Tolo is beyond me.

Couldn’t agree more. Our basketball style hasn’t progressed in the last decade. We have no players who can create their own shot, if we get late in a shot clock we are toast each time. I love Ezi but I don’t think she has the mindset to be the number one player on the team. I’ve been hoping Heal can be the player to come into the Opals and have that killer offensive, shooters mentality.

And George is a hack, won’t get her ass in the paint, wants to heave bricks from 3 all night.

Same old I’m afraid.

Richard Cranium

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX
Opals struggled with passing, shooting, defence, general smarts and game plan. How do we not have a single guard who can handle a bit of defensive pressure?

Crowd interaction after the game was all selfies and smiles though, so gotta give them credit for that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Don't watch a lot of basketball, will watch World Cups and Olympics and some other games I have had a bet on. Brondello? Right person for the job, just hasn't got the cattle and gets the best out of the team? ? Or underperforming coach who have they stuck with for too long? Someone who knows more than me might offer their opinion. Cheers.

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
I do watch a lot of basketball. Our issues are primarily talent-related IMO, which I've likely alluded to in whatever few women's basketball threads there have been here.
Pretty fair summary by Big_Luch above.

Backcourt situation is dire, and we've got a lot of players who are excellent role players but not stars. Magbegor, Talbot, Allen, Wallace & Whitcomb have all recently proven their ability to contribute at the elite level, and Tolo still has a bit left in the tank, but there's not a reliable scorer among them.

This situation has its roots at the junior development level. And it's only going to be exacerbated from here by the rise of other women's leagues - in particular AFLW and netball.

Last edited:
Couldn’t agree more. Our basketball style hasn’t progressed in the last decade. We have no players who can create their own shot, if we get late in a shot clock we are toast each time. I love Ezi but I don’t think she has the mindset to be the number one player on the team. I’ve been hoping Heal can be the player to come into the Opals and have that killer offensive, shooters mentality.

And George is a hack, won’t get her ass in the paint, wants to heave bricks from 3 all night.

Same old I’m afraid.

George has hit 2 3s in a row just now! :eek:

make that 3 in a row.

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
Perfect rotations in the 2nd half. Plenty of minutes into the younger legs.

Shooting % very good against much poorer defence tonight - unlike v the French who squashed our offence

Will be much tougher again next game - sadly expecting more poor shot selection as a result…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back