2022 Women's Basketball World Cup Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Good work to end up with the bronze I think. Would have been nice to make the gold medal game but before the cup began everyone would have said they would be happy to walk away with a bronze.

It’s an aging team and some of these players we won’t see again…

Love to hear peoples thoughts about what the opals could look like at the next olympics

Would think all of Jackson (obviously not) Tolo whitcomb George would be questionable being around 35+ years by then I think.

Who of the current group would be certainties?

Who are the next gen of stars that will form the core?

Up and comers?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course but she might've been enough to get us over the line. Will never know.
We won't but we do know that she struggled when she was out there. It would've been a gamble.

Personally, today makes me wonder what could've happened if we played Wallace more, because Whitcomb very much hit the wall in the second half last night, and Wallace was great off the bench today. And of course if only we could've made a wide open lay up we would probably be silver medallists despite all of that (and Allen being injured).

It’s an aging team and some of these players we won’t see again…

Love to hear peoples thoughts about what the opals could look like at the next olympics

Would think all of Jackson (obviously not) Tolo whitcomb George would be questionable being around 35+ years by then I think.

Who of the current group would be certainties?

Who are the next gen of stars that will form the core?

Up and comers?

History says that unless there's a generational type talent coming through the juniors (I'm not aware of anyone in that category) then the 12 picked in 2 years will all be familiar to us from the WNBL.

IMO the only absolute locks are Allen, Talbot, Magbegor & Wallace.

Tolo, George, Whitcomb & Madgen all pending age / health / form. Feels like Tolo & George have been around forever but they're both younger than Sami. Can't lock any in for certain but I'd be very surprised if Whitcomb and at least one of Tolo/George weren't there. Madgen being captain obviously elevates her chances greatly.

Maley & Blicavs you'd think would be likely. Really hope Maley can get her jumpshot working over the next 2 years. It would make a world of difference to her value.

In theory there are a lot of spots potentially up for grabs, but in reality the Opals are super conservative when making selection changes.
  • Melbourne I think was very close and will likely be in from now on.
  • Heal has spent the last 18 months going in reverse but if she can turn it around then someone who can rain it down from the perimeter will always get a look - especially once Whitcomb's days are over. Lack of size will always count against her though.
  • Mangakahia is a player I'm hoping can make her case this coming season. We are desperate for an actual point guard (though even she is a bit hybrid).
  • Garbin has made the most of her chances and will be in the mix, hopefully with some competition from Alanna Smith
  • Lauren Scherf is someone I'd like to see in there. I think her game suits international basketball. She's got size, she will run the floor hard, and can hit the 3.
  • Amy Atwell is my wildcard. Positionally it will be tough for her to crack the lineup quickly, but I love a shooter. She'll have every opportunity to light it up for Perth this season so hopefully can make an impact.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back