Review 2022 Year in review

Remove this Banner Ad

Talk about the pros and cons

Who tore it up? Ben Ainsworth and Noah Anderson my most improved. I want to say Rankine too . . . Stewie Dew. Built this culture
Who stunk it up? Lemmo. I expected more from him this year. Flanders, need to see more if he is in our colours in 2023

Does the game plan stack up? Our onfield is brand is coming together. When it's hot, it is really hot! Needs to be more consistent. Lower the eyes before bombing inside 50, plz!

R1 W over Eagles 16.11 (107) - 12.8 (80) @ Optus Stadium
R2 L to Demons 10.9 (69) - 12.10 (82) @ Metricon Stadium
R3 L to Giants 8.9 (57) - 12.11 (83) @ Giants Stadium

R4 W over Blues 13.14 (92) - 8.14 (62) @ Metricon Stadium
R5 L to Saints 9.7 (61) - 13.9 (87) @ Marvel Stadium
R6 L to Lions 11.14 (80) - 21.6 (132) @ Metricon Stadium
R7 L to Magpies 14.6 (90) - 17.13 (115) @ Melbourne Cricket Ground

R8 W over Swans 10.15 (75) - 8.13 (61) @ Sydney Cricket Ground
R9 W over Dockers 10.9 (69) - 4.9 (33) @ Metricon Stadium

R10 L to Bulldogs 13.9 (87) - 15.16 (106) @ Mars Stadium
R11 W over Hawks 18.13 (121) - 7.12 (54) @ TIO Stadium
R12 W over Kangaroos 15.19 (109) - 7.5 (47) @TIO Stadium

R13 BYE
R14 W over Crows 18.8 (116) - 10.13 (73) @ Metricon Stadium
R15 L to Power 13.13 (91) - 13.15 (93) @ Adelaide Oval
R16 L to Magpies 8.14 (62) - 9.13 (67) @ Metricon Stadium

R17 W over Tigers 14.10 (94) - 13.14 (92) @ Metricon Stadium
R18 L to Bombers 8.7 (55) - 14.19 (103) @ Marvel Stadium
R19 L to Lions 14.9 (93) - 16.14 (110) @ Gabba

R20 W over Eagles 16.11 (107) - 16.8 (104) @ Metricon Stadium
R21 L to Hawks 8.15 (63) - 10.10 (70) @ UTAS Stadium
R22 L to Cats 9.5 (59) - 18.11 (119) @ Metricon Stadium

R23 W over Kangaroos 16.18 (114) - 6.11 (47) @ Marvel Stadium

---------------------------------------------------------
11. Gold Coast Suns - 10 wins 12 losses 102.8%

Our highest ever finish in the AFL and the first time we've ended a season with a positive percentage.

Have at it. What are your thoughts?

R13 BYE

Our highest ever finish in the AFL and the first time we've ended a season with a positive percentage.

I know it is shallow, but I like the fact we only had one 10 goal loss. And that was against the best team in the competition.

I know it is shallow, but I like the fact we only had one 10 goal loss. And that was against the best team in the competition.
I wouldn't say it's shallow. The occurrence of 10+ goal smashings is a fairly good gauge of how far off the mark you are and we managed to avoid in 21 of 22 games this year.

My biggest takeaway from the season is we're only 2 wins behind 8th position and we played in 3 losses that were by less than 10 points this year. The difference between us playing finals and not was literally 3 straight kicks.

I wouldn't say it's shallow. The occurrence of 10+ goal smashings is a fairly good gauge of how far off the mark you are and we managed to avoid in 21 of 22 games this year.

My biggest takeaway from the season is we're only 2 wins behind 8th position and we played in 3 losses that were by less than 10 points this year. The difference between us playing finals and not was literally 3 straight kicks.

FOr the most part we pushed the good teams for longer in games too!

The good
Best ever season, good percentage

Ainsworth, Anderson, Rankine, Chol, all very good

20,000 members

Touk 🔫

Beat some good teams

SUNS or Big Red Machine didn’t kick my negative ass off the forum when I sooked it up

The bad
Slow starts

Foot skills

Missed opportunities ( pies, port in particular)

Injuries to key players

Home Crowds were meh ( atmosphere)

Player development ( overall)

R13 BYE

Team
Beat 4 finals calibre teams - Sydney, Dockers, Tigers, Blues (when they were flying). These are no joke teams.

Winning in Melbourne, Perth, Sydney, Darwin and @ Metricon

Pushing Port in Adelaide is no mean feat either.

We're likely to finish the the 7th or 8th best attack in the league (who could believe it) and the 11th or 12th best defence (probably a little disappointing)

Players
Witts, Rowell, Anderson, Ainsworth, Miller, Swallow, Collins, Chol (ie. some of our prime movers) all played 22 games.

Anderson, Ainsworth, Miller, Chol, Rankine, Witts had their best years yet.
Jeffrey, Rosas, Hollands, Farrar emerged as true AFL level players

Coaching

Dew resigned (happy enough with the outcome - thought we could have probably waited until end of year, although wonder how much of this was about trying to resign Rankine etc..)

Stephen King seems to have been a really good addition
Kornberg has had the VFL team performing well
Shaw seems much loved.
Addition of Frawley who will have a lot of IP

Front Office

Wayne Campbell seems a real positive

Great platform to attack 2023.
This year was a good 'first step' next year has to be a big leap.

A few very close losses too. Thinking suns will play finals in 23.

Would have to be the first season where we only lost three games in a row once? Didn’t go on a big losing streak which was a big step forward.

Another pre season into the young squad + our backline strengthened (return from injury and recruitment) + Ben king means I would be disappointed if we miss finals next year.

Think we need another strong assistant in with good handle on games strategy, still fall down at times when the pressure is on.

Also unsure if we need more in the midfield or not. Our young ones might take another step next year but will it be enough? Got smashed through there at times against the top teams.

Would have to be the first season where we only lost three games in a row once? Didn’t go on a big losing streak which was a big step forward.

Another pre season into the young squad + our backline strengthened (return from injury and recruitment) + Ben king means I would be disappointed if we miss finals next year.

Think we need another strong assistant in with good handle on games strategy, still fall down at times when the pressure is on.

Also unsure if we need more in the midfield or not. Our young ones might take another step next year but will it be enough? Got smashed through there at times against the top teams.
The lack of losing streaks was big for me as well. Able to pick ourselves up and get back to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve always thought we need another 2 good players to run through the midfield. Whether we can find them internally, or acquire them through the trade/draft period remains to be seen.
Currently, God help us if one or more of Touk, Noah, Dave or Rowelly go down.

I’ve always thought we need another 2 good players to run through the midfield. Whether we can find them internally, or acquire them through the trade/draft period remains to be seen.
Currently, God help us if one or more of Touk, Noah, Dave or Rowelly go down.
Davies, Bowes, Flanders, Fiorini would do just fine inside, IMO. That's actually one of my complaint that we did not spread load more and did not run these players through middle while Anderson and Rowell are still developing. Next year, Hollands could play there too a bit. Depth Constable would be ok inside too.

Players
Witts, Rowell, Anderson, Ainsworth, Miller, Swallow, Collins, Chol (ie. some of our prime movers) all played 22 games.

Anderson, Ainsworth, Miller, Chol, Rankine, Witts had their best years yet.
Jeffrey, Rosas, Hollands, Farrar emerged as true AFL level players
To actually get most of our players to play near 22 games is the important part.

Dew has played with the same midfield group the entire time. I don't expect anything to change.

2021: Smith/Graham/Burgess rucking to Anderson/Greenwood/Miller/Swallow

turned into

2022: Witts/Chol rucking to Anderson/Miller/Rowell/Swallow

Major difference, alot of our players did develop and we've seen players like Rosas, Oea, Jeffery, Davies, Hollands who were near 30-40th players on the list push themselves ahead of senior players like Sexton, Corbett & Burgess.

We've been crying out for a mid/fwd who can play wing / mid and hit the score board.
It's taken Anderson 3 years to start showing potentially he could do this. Kicked 6 goals in the last 8 games.

Elijah has really done this from very early on.
Pretty slow start to 2022 in general
But from round 7 onwards

VFL: 9 goals, 5 behinds in 7 matches
AFL: 5 goals, 4 behinds in 5 matches

All good teams have these guys
Really promising signs from Hollands that he could be a 15-20 goal mid. Anderson 15+.

My Season 2022 Review For Fun.

6/10

I have a mixed feeling. 10 wins is just pass for me. I would be much happier with 11 or 12 especially considering we won 7 games in 2021 without Witts.

Some Positives
  • Way more consistent. The team looks physically better compared to last year. Not completely there but we were running out games well. In most games Suns brought the contest, effort. No blow out games. Even in 2 games we were subpar (GWS, Essendon) we lost by less than 50 points. Significant improvement in percentage – 102% gives me optimism about next season.
  • With Witts back, midfield improved. I did not like the idea to go exclusively with Anderson and Rowell there. I get it that we will benefit from it next year, but I would like to see more players rotating there especially when Anderson and Rowell are still very young and were for the first time there and developing.
  • Style is watchable when it’s on. We scored way more than last year. Chol with Casboult easily exceeded my expectations.
  • We re-signed most players, Dew.
  • To see Hollands, Andrew and even Ace debut and show promise was encouraging.
  • Miller delivered again. Swallow looked rejuvenated. Anderson progressed to a really good level, so Ainsworth.
Some Negatives
  • Bad long-term injuries. 3 ACL to best 22 is a shocker (after 3 ACL in 2021 too). Finished the season with 6-8 best 22 missing. Disappointingly, the depth struggled to cover re-bound from defence.
  • Some players did not progress – Bowes, Flanders, Sharp. Bowes and Flanders seem to be midfielders, but we did not play them there rather putting games into Anderson, Rowell.
  • 12 wins were achievable. I know it’s a tough and even competition, but I am a bit disappointed. Making finals would be enormous boost for future trades, players retention.
  • Bad starts in most games really hurt us. It’s a big issue.
  • Not converting opportunities again in most games is another big issue.
  • Rankine leaving.

Worst game
We had 3 games where we were not up to it - GWS, Essendon and Cats. But most disappointing game for me was loss to Hawks in Tasmania. Not easy to win there but if we brought the same effort like in the last quarter we would come up with a win and the whole season would look more positive. I blame Rankine for it. Team looked depressed 😊

Best game
Yeah, there was Tigers game but for me it got to be Swans away game. At 2W:5L, we refused to lose. The last quarter was epic.

Defense
Exposed with injuries in the middle of season to Budarick, Powell and Weller and later to Ballard.

I was disappointed by Collins. Yes, he had interrupted pre-season due to ankle surgery. The longer the season went the worse Collins performed to the point where I was not sure who makes more mistakes – Collins or Graham. Just hoping it was physical issues impacting his confidence. Need a great pre-season. Wearing boot at B&F confirms he carried injury.

I am also disappointed that our depth struggled to cover injuries. Markov, Atkins did not really take opportunity.

Midfield
I believe our Achilles this year was still midfield as we were putting games into Anderson, Rowell, Davies and not really run anybody else through it besides Swallow, Miller. Personally, it frustrated me. We better reap benefits next year.

Forward line
After losing King it was all gloom and doom. The reality was quite the opposite. Casboult and Chol exceeded all expectations. They tired at the end of season, Casboult clearly hampered by knee. Jeffrey showed a lot of promise before injury. Rosas had good moments too. Ainsworth improved again. Rankine finally started to deliver and show his talent. I will miss him getting ball in the middle and delivering beautiful balls or his magic around goals.

2023 outlook.
Time to play finals with some injury luck.
More mature midfield should make a difference.
More experience, more mature bodies should help again.
Some key players back including King.
Re-sign Anderson and Rowell or we are in trouble.

Some 2023 questions
Can Bowes and Flanders come back strong after mostly disappointing season?
Will Powell be his old self?
When and in what shape Weller and Budarick return?
Will Graham progress?
Will Andrew play a lot of games in defence?
Can Lemmens limit his crazy decisions/kicks?
Do we keep Faulkhead?
Will Uwland surprise us?
What will be list size?
Will Moyle get opportunity?
Can King come back strong?
Can Luko deliver consistently in a new role?

Draft/Trade
Goodbye to Rankine. He disappointed me after all that love talk fest. Just hoping other players will not follow his example going after more money.
Growth from within, according to journos salary cap is full but now with Rankine leaving we could try to bring someone. Re-signing Anderson, Rowell is priority.
I expect minimal changes.
Fiorini possible trade out.
HB depth trade in.
List size will decide our delisting. Nicholls and McLennan are primary targets. More will probably follow (Murtagh, Conroy, Constable, Tsitas).
Can/Do we keep Burgess, Corbett?

Players rating 1-10 (just approx.)

We used 38 players.

My Best 22

Lemmens
– Still our best one on one defender for small/medium forwards. Going crazy sometimes resulting in bad clangers/turnovers. 6

Budarick – I thought he started slowly coming from ACL and cost us in several games. Then he got into some very good form in a couple of games. Don’t expect him to have impact in 2023. 6

Collins – Disappointed with him this year. A lot of panic and average games including costly mistakes, turnovers resulting in goals. 6

Ballard – Solid season, our best KPD. 7

Graham – Whipping boy label unfair in my opinion. Improved as season progressed. 6

Powell – Started slowly but worked into it. Fingers crossed he can come back in round 1. 7

Ellis – Fine season, still makes silly mistakes. 8

Anderson – Developing beautifully in the middle. Still need to work on body strength, kicking, looked inconsistent in some games. 8

Lukosius – Not easy season with 2 PCLs. I thought he had a couple of good games in his new wing/high forward role, love his commitment to the club. 6

Ainsworth – Almost breakthrough season, improved kicking but still more work to be done on it, form tempered late in some games, love his gut running. 8

Chol – Pleasantly surprised, bloody talented with speed, great skills below knees. Strong pre-season needed to build consistency. 7

Holman – Started strongly but after bye form dropped a bit. Could be carrying something. 6

Rankine – Great first and 8 games starting with Swans game. Slowed down after covid, money over teammates, not happy. 7

Casboult – Unbelievable contribution in the first half of the season, on one leg after bye. Example how to crash packs. One more season as depth. 7

Jeffrey – Progressed and showed his talent, unfortunately injury cut his season short, looking forward to next season. 7

Witts – Credit to Witts after coming from ACL. Best season. Still look to me like too much load for him. 9

Miller – Again fantastic season, could still improve disposal. 9

Rowell – First time full time inside and improving steadily. Groin issue off-season, still only 39 games. Running on empty late. Can’t wait for next season. 7

Swallow – Warrior again, played well in the middle in most games, looks happy and healthy. 7

Weller – Some poor games but also some fantastic games. Just when he was one of best, he did ACL. 6

Davies – Played his role and developing. 6

Farrar – Love his speed, contest, commitment. 7

Got games

Rosas
– Developing, a couple of good games, hopefully continues to progress. 6

Bowes – Disappointing for me this year after shoulder injury, some good moments but generally struggled in outside midfield roles. 5

Fiorini – I thought he started season well including improved kicking but regressed as season progressed, can only play inside IMO, trade out probably. 5

Tsitas – Really only VFL player. 5

Ace – Surprised me, speed, pressure very good, can we keep him. 6

Sharp – Mostly disappointed me this season when he got opportunity. 5

Flanders – Disappointed me this season. It looks like midfield is his best role, is smart, makes usually good decision but don’t see urgency, desperation. 5

Macpherson – His disposal is simply not up to it. Depth. 5

Markov – Disappointing season, in an out of line-up. 5

Sexton – Depth now, could play more with Rankine gone, good last game. 5

Day – Depth now. 6

Thompson – Mostly disappointing. Not sure if he is up to AFL speed, looks too relaxed. 5

Burgess – Very good depth, can play, some unbelievable marking in VFL. 6

Corbett – Underwhelming season hampered by injury, could be gone. 5

Hollands – Impressive debut, great skills. 6

Atkins – Average at best to me. Some bad mistakes. Still, I think he can contribute, more wing than in defence. 5

Andrew – Looked initially lost in VFL but last month he was improving every game, surprised in AFL, great talent, like his attitude, extra 6 kg in off-season please. 6

No games

King
– Sad.

Brock – Good kick, speed, tried hard in VFL, good games in finals, could he make it? 5

Constable – Typical inside depth, VFL player only probably. 5

McLennan – Most probably not AFL quality, poor disposal. 4

Conroy – I like his physical attributes, slowly improving in VFL, suffered from covid limited opportunities. 4

Faulkhead – he showed something, worth to keep? 5

Moyle – Battled hard in VFL, could step in if Witts injured. 6

Uwland – hopefully can show what he got next year as HB.

Nicholls – Very good speed, bad decisions, slowed something in finals. 4

Murtagh – Improved as VFL season progressed, can mark the ball, like Conroy negatively impacted by covid. 4

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back