List Mgmt. 2022 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we allowed to hate that guy? Is it politically correct to be angry at some of his decisions? Hard to know in 2022.

I think you can be.

Hogan had genuine issues, but in hindsight he couldn't reasonably claim that he did everything he could to make his time at Freo a success.

Definitely a little bit more angry at Hogan right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chase Bourne was on yesterday, 20 disp and kicked 1.3. Difficult to say but I think the club will take a punt on him.

Liam Bartlett I'm a little disappointed in. He doesn't attack the contest but waits on the skirts for the passout. He does get in nice positions around goal but needs to do a lot more to get a shot at AFL.

Our season is still going, but it's also that time of year when I start posting about random draft prospects. I'm conflicted, but I'll go ahead anyway...

Personally, I think Griffin Logue stays. I hope we find the money to keep him happy, because I don't think playing him forward is going to keep him here. But if he does go, then it opens up a big hole in our KPD stocks - especially as Pearce can't be trusted to play a full season and Hamling is looking done. So who might be some cheap draft options to replace him?

Tyreece Leiu - 194cm, 94kg from Carlton VFL

19 year old who was overlooked last year, but was also considered an outside chance in the MSD this year. He played key forward and inside mid in his draft year, but has settled into a key defensive role for Carlton. He's had a strong season in the VFL. He's strong, athletic and a good mark. Doesn't have Logue's speed though. More of a third tall at the moment, but someone who could be developed as Logue was. Late round pick at best, but likely rookie.

Jed Adams - 194cm, 89kg from Peel

18 year old Colts player who made his league debut last weekend, so we'd know him very well. Got an invite to the National Combine, and you would think we were one of the teams interested. Another athletic option, strong marking and intercept game. Was putting up good numbers at Colts level and didn't look out of place in the league side. Should enter the draft mix from the third round onwards.

Brodie Tuck - 194cm, 91kg from Central Districts

Another 18 year old, so it'd be more of a developmental option. But having said that, Tuck doesn't play like a kid. He's tough, throws himself at everything. I think he could develop into a Sam Collins type player, nothing pretty about him but gets the job done and will scrap all day. Strong overhead, also just a natural ball getter and has kicked bags of goals when thrown forwards. Rookie pick if he gets taken, but would be a club favourite.

Also like James Van Es (196cm, 97kg from Vic Country) and Phoenix Foster (196cm, 85kg from Norwood) as main draft options.

Our season is still going, but it's also that time of year when I start posting about random draft prospects. I'm conflicted, but I'll go ahead anyway...

Personally, I think Griffin Logue stays. I hope we find the money to keep him happy, because I don't think playing him forward is going to keep him here. But if he does go, then it opens up a big hole in our KPD stocks - especially as Pearce can't be trusted to play a full season and Hamling is looking done. So who might be some cheap draft options to replace him?

19 year old who was overlooked last year, but was also considered an outside chance in the MSD this year. He played key forward and inside mid in his draft year, but has settled into a key defensive role for Carlton. He's had a strong season in the VFL. He's strong, athletic and a good mark. Doesn't have Logue's speed though. More of a third tall at the moment, but someone who could be developed as Logue was. Late round pick at best, but likely rookie.

18 year old Colts player who made his league debut last weekend, so we'd know him very well. Got an invite to the National Combine, and you would think we were one of the teams interested. Another athletic option, strong marking and intercept game. Was putting up good numbers at Colts level and didn't look out of place in the league side. Should enter the draft mix from the third round onwards.

Another 18 year old, so it'd be more of a developmental option. But having said that, Tuck doesn't play like a kid. He's tough, throws himself at everything. I think he could develop into a Sam Collins type player, nothing pretty about him but gets the job done and will scrap all day. Strong overhead, also just a natural ball getter and has kicked bags of goals when thrown forwards. Rookie pick if he gets taken, but would be a club favourite.

Also like James Van Es (196cm, 97kg from Vic Country) and Phoenix Foster (196cm, 85kg from Norwood) as main draft options.
I was impressed by what I saw of Adams. Looked at home at WAFL in his first game, really composed.

Why would we want Adams at the National Combine?

Why would we want Adams at the National Combine?
Because we are interested in him, think he is in real contention for the main draft and want to see how he will go under scrutiny and testing.

I know fans think it is a clever thing for clubs to pretend that they are not interested and "hide" a candidate but the pros of putting forward an actual worthy candidate far outweigh the negatives and trying to hide a potential draftee is a really immature, unprofessional approach that helps no one.

Because we are interested in him, think he is in real contention for the main draft and want to see how he will go under scrutiny and testing.

I know fans think it is a clever thing for clubs to pretend that they are not interested and "hide" a candidate but the pros of putting forward an actual worthy candidate far outweigh the negatives and trying to hide a potential draftee is a really immature, unprofessional approach that helps no one.
There is state testing right? And he's down at Peel not up in the Pilbara.

There is state testing right? And he's down at Peel not up in the Pilbara.
2 clubs for state testing right?
What happens if a club doesn't put a player forward and there isn't enough interest and doesn't get to do any testing.

But I tend to agree, outside of very specific circumstances of a true roughie I'd find it hard to see any value in trying to a hide a draftee, COVID cuts might have hit the scouting ranks but surely all clubs have full coverage of all reasonable leagues.

2 clubs for state testing right?
What happens if a club doesn't put a player forward and there isn't enough interest and doesn't get to do any testing.

But I tend to agree, outside of very specific circumstances of a true roughie I'd find it hard to see any value in trying to a hide a draftee, COVID cuts might have hit the scouting ranks but surely all clubs have full coverage of all reasonable leagues.
I'm not clear on what state versus national testing actually involves and would love clarification if anyone knows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back