List Mgmt. 2022 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Like you said, you need controlled conditions.

Hard to compare a combine jump on different grass surfaces where one might be a hard deck and one might be soft and spongy.
I think what I’m more getting at, is the speed, jump etc displayed in a court, may not necessarily translate to a spongy surface wearing football boots.

I would finish middle of the pack on a court, but dead last on grass.

I think what I’m more getting at, is the speed, jump etc displayed in a court, may not necessarily translate to a spongy surface wearing football boots.

I would finish middle of the pack on a court, but dead last on grass.

It's not perfect but the whole purpose of the combines is to compare players, both to each other and to historical data.

You can't do that if everybody is testing on different surfaces.

Not sure this will work, Liz Truss isn't his PM.
Ha yeah I was going to point that out.
People who identify as British or unionist in Northern Ireland don’t play Gaelic football!
In Northern Ireland:
Catholic/nationalist people play Gaelic football and soccer and a few play rugby.
Unionist/protestant people play rugby, soccer, and cricket/hockey which are really minority sports.

That's the exact result I wanted for Ed Allan, for him, that's quite a result for a guy that size.
Great for Ed, possibly bad for us from a drafting perspective.
I really think he could be a replacement Fyfe/Mundy, except it looks like he is bloody quick.
Big bodied mid, who is super quick - would love to have him in a Freo jumper.
Does anyone know where all of the state combine results are listed?

From Shifters twitter feed!

WA’s Ed Allan looks at his time of 2.81 seconds for the 20 metres to top all comers for speed at the Draft Combine in Melbourne - the son of former star Hawk and Docker Ben isn’t eligible for either under the AFL’s father/ son rules !!

IMG_2593.JPG

Last edited:
From Shifters twitter feed!

WA’s Ed Allan looks at his time of 2.81 seconds for the 20 metres to top all comers for speed at the Draft Combine in Melbourne - the son of former star Hawk and Docker Ben isn’t eligible for either under the AFL’s father/ son rules !!

View attachment 1530736
Which is some absolute bullshit.

Which is some absolute bullshit.
He won't go F1. If Freo/Ed are really keen than he will tell recruiters he will stay in WA. If he doesn't last to our pick than the club wouldn't hold him in too high of a regard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon this is a redundant thread. Just like our recruiting department for 2022. Our only draft pick this year will be a completely random bloke at pick 65, Banfield to the main list and fingers crossed Tippa and a couple of NGA kids.

Saying that is fair but ignorant to his WAFL heritage also - of which the AFL hold in such low regard
We have nothing to be salty about in this instance. Even if the WAFL alignment club games were addative (which they should have been) it wouldn't matter as Claremont wasn't one of our four sides.

As for 'founding club captain' that's just whining. How could that be a rule? If Port Adelaide's founding club captain had played one game and ripped his achilles and 25 years later his no. 1 pick projected son went FS we'd all be rightly up in arms.

We have nothing to be salty about in this instance. Even if the WAFL alignment club games were addative (which they should have been) it wouldn't matter as Claremont wasn't one of our four sides.

As for 'founding club captain' that's just whining. How could that be a rule? If Port Adelaide's founding club captain had played one game and ripped his achilles and 25 years later his no. 1 pick projected son went FS we'd all be rightly up in arms.
Had this discussion before, Claremont was one of the alignment teams when Freo was formed - of which Fremantle could select players.
Couldn’t care about Ben Allan being the club captain as qualification - irrelevant, but Fremantle had dibs on Claremont players when formed.

If the AFL didn't amend the father son rules to having bids, meaning a player can be pick #1 - there may have been a third father son pick overlook his priority access to his father's club to go pick one again this year.

Bryce Gibbs could have been a father son to Adelaide, they would have picked him up for their third round pick - instead went pick #1 to Carlton
Marc Murphy could have been a father son to Brisbane, they would have picked him up for their third round pick - but he wanted to stay in Melb - instead went to Carlton at #1
Will Ashcroft, father son to Brisbane again, could have decided to stay in Melbourne with his Vic Metro buddies, being taken pick #1 instead of a pick in the 40s to Brisbane.

But then that's the same Brisbane that got Jonothan Brown because his dad played 51 games at Fitzroy.

Had this discussion before, Claremont was one of the alignment teams when Freo was formed - of which Fremantle could select players.
Couldn’t care about Ben Allan being the club captain as qualification - irrelevant, but Fremantle had dibs on Claremont players when formed.
Paracleet - you might want to check ‘Zone concessions’ in 1994

Ha yeah I was going to point that out.
People who identify as British or unionist in Northern Ireland don’t play Gaelic football!
In Northern Ireland:
Catholic/nationalist people play Gaelic football and soccer and a few play rugby.
Unionist/protestant people play rugby, soccer, and cricket/hockey which are really minority sports.
Yep. Dumb mistake from me.

Would the Lobb trade land a pick for Allen?

db17fc56-dcab-4db9-8ff9-28e4d036d5fc_text.gif

But probably too high for Ed.

I'm a believer that if you want a particular player and you're within ten or so picks of them, even if you just don't have them lasting until your next pick - just take that player. If you want the player, buy them.

Last edited:
Should we also have got rights to the 3 players from other 4 WALF clubs were entitled to select but didn't take? Of course not it'd have been unworkable. Particularly since we also took a bunch of players from non aligned WAFL clubs as previously listed or registered for the draft players.
No, the time to complain was when the Father son rule was codified and covered South and East Fremantle, Swan Districts and Perth instead of Claremont. This was clearly to our disadvantage as of course even thought we could have taken up to 3 Perth players, we took zero (as zone selections), but took 3 Claremont players as zone selections (on top of the 9 we took under the other rules).

Who made this decision and when? Although we might blame #VICBIAS instinctively I'm imagining the cold dead hand of West Coast influence here...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back