List Mgmt. 2022 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well we can rule Wade Derksen out. He wasn’t granted an exemption for the MSD. Suggests there wasn’t genuine interest, clubs probably wanting to see a full season from him first.

IMO he could be a decent genuine KPP at each end but hasn’t proven himself. For me he looked a bit undersized for a forward/ruck - I’d be genuinely surprised if he’s actually 197cm tbh. I thought he struggled when rucking but was impressive up forward. I saw attributes which I thought could make him an AFL player - just not in the role he’s currently playing.

Not sure if anyone else saw it the same way I did but if AFL recruiters did it’d work against him given he couldn’t play his current role at AFL level.

And yes, I’ve only seen him play this year so small sample size.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
IMO he could be a decent genuine KPP at each end but hasn’t proven himself. For me he looked a bit undersized for a forward/ruck - I’d be genuinely surprised if he’s actually 197cm tbh. I thought he struggled when rucking but was impressive up forward. I saw attributes which I thought could make him an AFL player - just not in the role he’s currently playing.

Not sure if anyone else saw it the same way I did but if AFL recruiters did it’d work against him given he couldn’t play his current role at AFL level.

And yes, I’ve only seen him play this year so small sample size.
The WAFL site has adjusted his height down to 195cm. It definitely had him down earlier in the season as 197cm.

Caldera

All Australian
Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
But they are exempted three players to be included in the AFL.

AFL makes their own rules then break them when it’s suits them.

Muppet organisation.

Yeah this for me. Don’t allow Derkson, do allow others. Allow Newcombe (I think) to name terms so that only Hawks can take him. It’s a bit of a joke tbh.

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
It doesn’t help that the rules are unclear, with it being a case by case decision. But I take it to mean the other three players have guarantees they’ll be picked up - which was expected with Hall-Kahan and Reinhold at least, with multiple clubs having known interest.

I guess it’s for transparency, so clubs can’t try to hide players and sneak them into the MSD.

I’m sure if a club really wanted Derksen, or anyone else, they’d have gotten an exemption.

Caldera

All Australian
Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I hear what you are saying Chris25 but the AFL lacks transparency in almost everything it does. The only transparent system is the draft being tied to ladder position, and even that is subject to the vagaries of FA concession (inconsistent), priority picks (inconsistent) and concessions to new teams.

Anyway I’m veering off topic. Hope Derkson gets his chance one day if he wants it.

Sep 29, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Arsenal, Vikings.
Well Wade Derksen is eligible, Zac Strom too. You’d assume we’d consider both.

I do think Casey Voss is the best state leaguer though, even if we don’t really need him.
I assume Voss is an insider midfielder Chris?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bastyy Chris25
Where do you both see our NGA candidates in 2022 standing in the overall draft order at this point of the season?
From what I understand, the following 4 guys seem to be the ones in the mix to get drafted:
  • Conrad Williams
  • Chase Bourne
  • Josh Draper
  • Jasper Scaife

Are there any more guys I’ve missed? How likely are the each to be drafted at all, or drafted in the top 40?

Aug 23, 2017
Grounded
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bastyy Chris25
Where do you both see our NGA candidates in 2022 standing in the overall draft order at this point of the season?
From what I understand, the following 4 guys seem to be the ones in the mix to get drafted:
  • Conrad Williams
  • Chase Bourne
  • Josh Draper
  • Jasper Scaife

Are there any more guys I’ve missed? How likely are the each to be drafted at all, or drafted in the top 40?

I suspect at this stage Conrad Williams is the only one likely to be top 40 and only just.

Jasper Scaife is a chance of being drafted.

Whilst Draper and Bourne need to get some runs on the board.

Bourne came in with big wraps but hasn’t developed as much this year.

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
Bastyy Chris25
  • Conrad Williams
  • Chase Bourne
  • Josh Draper
  • Jasper Scaife

Williams the closest to 40 (and in my top 30 of my personal rankings on talent alone) but I do question if a pure outsider will be taken top 40. Will need a good carnival

Scaife will get drafted, has a lot of upside and does a lot of the extra work recruiters want like working up the field and apply pressure but also just a natural forward with a (normally) accurate set shot. Questions on his production however

Bourne is a perfect rookie pick imo, but small forwards can go way earlier than expected due to needs and bourne has some versatility to play in the midfield that makes him appealing

Draper has had a poor start to the year from the perspective of someone wanting to get drafted but his athletic traits are exciting. Would be a great Cat-B pick

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doesn't mean much, because we should be showing interest in all the best prospects. But we've spoken with Massimo D'Ambrosio, 19 year old 179cm defender from VIC. Will probably depend on how many teams have picks in the MSD, I'd expect him to be one of the earlier selections.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
Doesn't mean much, because we should be showing interest in all the best prospects. But we've spoken with Massimo D'Ambrosio, 19 year old 179cm defender from VIC. Will probably depend on how many teams have picks in the MSD, I'd expect him to be one of the earlier selections.

don’t quite understand the need for another 179c/m defender with Young, Chappy, Clark, Walker and Wilson

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
don’t quite understand the need for another 179c/m defender with Young, Chappy, Clark, Walker and Wilson

I'm sure we've spoken about a bunch of different players. Doesn't mean we'll draft them all.

The argument would be a best available one. And with an eye to the future, how long will Wilson be with the club? Could replace him with a guy 10 years younger. And considering the other guys are all best 23 at the moment, we don't really have anyone developing behind them. D'Ambrosio could also challenge as the best kick at the club.

I think Richmond will take him before our pick anyway...

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
Harry Sheezel is really interestung And if we had a higher pick I’d be all over Busslinger.
And I don’t quite understand the need for another kpd(especially using our 1st on ) when we’re already struggling to retain/fit the ones we ve got

Remove this Banner Ad

Back