List Mgmt. 2022 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Or we could draft and/or develop our forwards and play Logue in defence. I mean, part of the reason he's playing forward is because we have excess defenders.

Logue is already at the club. Cox, Pearce and Logue in the same back six hasn’t really worked except when Logue had an obvious match up not suited to Pearce or Cox. Logue as a forward has worked. Pearce hasn’t. Despite what people say neither did Cox bar the odd occasion. Logue as depth won’t work - he’s far too good for that and he’ll walk for better opportunities if that’s what we try. When you have a player as talented as Logue you find a way to fit him in the side. That’s wheat we’ve done.

I’d still want a KPD on our list more than a KPF even if Logue went back though. Three KPDs isn’t enough, which is what we’ll have including Logue when Hamling retires.

There’s a good level of talent for key KPFs on our list imo. They just need time to develop, just like any other KPF we draft this year would.

If you meant general forwards I agree though. We some to replace Walters and/or Colyer. For me a KPD is more a secondary need we’d use mid range picks on. Our best pick/s should be used on general forwards.

Logue is already at the club. Cox, Pearce and Logue in the same back six hasn’t really worked except when Logue had an obvious match up not suited to Pearce or Cox. Logue as a forward has worked. Pearce hasn’t. Despite what people say neither did Cox bar the odd occasion. Logue as depth won’t work - he’s far too good for that and he’ll walk for better opportunities if that’s what we try. When you have a player as talented as Logue you find a way to fit him in the side. That’s wheat we’ve done.

I’d still want a KPD on our list more than a KPF even if Logue went back though. Three KPDs isn’t enough, which is what we’ll have including Logue when Hamling retires.

There’s a good level of talent for key KPFs on our list imo. They just need time to develop, just like any other KPF we draft this year would.

If you meant general forwards I agree though. We some to replace Walters and/or Colyer.

I wouldn't say Logue forward has worked. He is an inaccurate shot on goal. Very inaccurate

I wouldn't say Logue forward has worked. He is an inaccurate shot on goal. Very inaccurate

It’s not all about the goals he scores himself. He was involved in the same amount of scores as Lobb and Switta on the weekend. Of our forwards only Walters had more. He’s been high in score involvements since moved forward.

Talls are hit and miss and mostly miss.

Anyway, seems like their is a few tall Academy kids coming through.

My understanding is they are more rookie prospects tbh. I reckon if we’d take them as rookies they end up as Category B rookies.

Conrad Williams on the other hand might be more of a National Draft prospect.

Oh c'mon, he has been awesome up forward! He halves the contest, brings the ball to ground, is a good crumber, has a great vertical jump, pace to pressure defenders and can take pack marks. A full pre season training up forward and he could be anything!

It has to be remembered with Logue that he had very little football as a youngster compared to other AFL footballers. Any new kids who come into system at an older age play back as it is easier to teach the role & understand for the player.

I doubt he has had an extended run as a forward & he excelled as a defender in his draft year, he could just be a very good forward in the making given the opportunity. He’s played 3 games forward & we’ve beat teams 1&2 amongst those games.

From a team perspective it’s been a success & the selection committee have a tough decision to make in our next game as to where he plays. I think they’d be keen to keep him forward but the match up with Curnow could send him back again. I think his value has increased considerably this season.

It has to be remembered with Logue that he had very little football as a youngster compared to other AFL footballers. Any new kids who come into system at an older age play back as it is easier to teach the role & understand for the player.

I doubt he has had an extended run as a forward & he excelled as a defender in his draft year, he could just be a very good forward in the making given the opportunity. He’s played 3 games forward & we’ve beat teams 1&2 amongst those games.

From a team perspective it’s been a success & the selection committee have a tough decision to make in our next game as to where he plays. I think they’d be keen to keep him forward but the match up with Curnow could send him back again. I think his value has increased considerably this season.
We shouldn't be afraid to send him back when it's needed. Good footballers can do both.

It’s been a success, but it’s only been 3 games. I’d argue Cox showed as much in some decent stints forward in his early years before switching back.

Let’s hope he continues to improve as it solves the team balance issue in some games but I wouldn’t go changing draft plans yet.

We don't exactly have another player outside of Logue who can offer what he currently does. He destroys Treacy in total effort delivered, if there was a metric for impact and contest delivered across the entire game Logue would be one of the highest in the league for what he can deliever.

Treacy should get there, but we aren't blessed with athletes like that.

Strongly agree with this. And that Treacy will get there in time. I wonder if Louge does go back next week, do we bring in Treacy to be that pack-crasher, pressure guy and try replace him. Think he would also be a fair match up against Silvagni in the back up ruck work to

I watch plenty of footy, buddy.

I stated that Logue wasn't an accurate shot on goal. I guess you don't watch much footy yourself
I think the point is you said the move of Logue hasn’t worked but most experts are calling it one of the moves of the season,and a master stroke from coach Longmuir
He has kicked 2:2 for memory and that should be 3:2 as Sonny got an advantage from the goal line!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the point is you said the move of Logue hasn’t worked but most experts are calling it one of the moves of the season,and a master stroke from coach Longmuir
He has kicked 2:2 for memory and that should be 3:2 as Sonny got an advantage from the goal line!

I never said it hasn't worked. I'm suggesting that Logue isn't a natural forward. He has taken some good contested marks but lacks goal kicking accuracy. Even from 25 metres out with a set shot he still misses.

He's played really well in defence and I rate him highly as a defender. Not so much as a forward.

This may change over time.

Oh c'mon, he has been awesome up forward! He halves the contest, brings the ball to ground, is a good crumber, has a great vertical jump, pace to pressure defenders and can take pack marks. A full pre season training up forward and he could be anything!

Yep over time he definitely could be really good up forward

I never said it hasn't worked. I'm suggesting that Logue isn't a natural forward. He has taken some good contested marks but lacks goal kicking accuracy. Even from 25 metres out with a set shot he still misses.

He's played really well in defence and I rate him highly as a defender. Not so much as a forward.

FYI

Not being a good set shot and not being a natural forward are two different things.

He's creating plenty of opportunities but yes his set shots are borderline diabolical.

He's getting himself in the right spots and making a good contest imo. That's harder to teach than set shots. Give him a full pre season kicking at goal regularly and let's see if he's still a poor shot for goal.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Griff is a natural goal-kicker. Despite that he's still getting looks at goal and has kicked a few. It's more about what he allows the others to do. The multiplier effect is really powerful - he's getting a tonne of score involvements every game and enabling our natural forwards to impact the scoreboard.

The experiment has been a raging success by every metric.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Griff is a natural goal-kicker. Despite that he's still getting looks at goal and has kicked a few. It's more about what he allows the others to do. The multiplier effect is really powerful - he's getting a tonne of score involvements every game and enabling our natural forwards to impact the scoreboard.

The experiment has been a raging success by every metric.
I think the goals will come naturally once he learns his leading patterns and where to get into the right spots. What I actually want to see more from him is not goals but floating around the ground and using his athleticism to impact the contest and take marks, just like our other talls.

IMO, Logue doesn't need to be all that accurate to be an effective and damaging forward. All he has to do is take the marks, or bring the ball to ground and rove it (as he already does), and feed it off to a small in space and let them kick the goals.

I'm fully on the 'Logue as a forward' bandwagon. Reckon his arial dominance is just too valuable, and simply trust that his 'forward craft' will come. We're all going fall off our chairs when he kicks his first bag, and I genuinely believe it will happen. Go Loguey!!!

Yes smart arse

And im correct he's a poor set shot on goal. He does take good contested marks.

Against the Hawks he took a mark as Freo were sprinting forward due to numbers back and didn't know where to kick it and turned the ball over.

He may develop into a really good key forward but he still has a way to go.

IMO, Logue doesn't need to be all that accurate to be an effective and damaging forward. All he has to do is take the marks, or bring the ball to ground and rove it (as he already does), and feed it off to a small in space and let them kick the goals.

I'm fully on the 'Logue as a forward' bandwagon. Reckon his arial dominance is just too valuable, and simply trust that his 'forward craft' will come. We're all going fall off our chairs when he kicks his first bag, and I genuinely believe it will happen. Go Loguey!!!
Logue preventing intercept marking is gold. Bringing the ball to ground allows the small forwards to come into the game.

I think it's way to early to just simply say Logue forward is a success even if we don't end up needing him down back for a large part of his career (high chance imo).

I would draft another KPF if there was one in our range we felt was a good talent. As someone mentioned not quite made it KPFs often make elite KPDs.

I think it's way to early to just simply say Logue forward is a success even if we don't end up needing him down back for a large part of his career (high chance imo).

I would draft another KPF if there was one in our range we felt was a good talent. As someone mentioned not quite made it KPFs often make elite KPDs.
Even if you don’t include Logue, we have Amiss, Tracy, Lobb, Kuek, Tabs and to some extent, Benning. We really don’t have room for anymore on the list,

Logue preventing intercept marking is gold. Bringing the ball to ground allows the small forwards to come into the game.
Logue can be a genuine swing-man. Something I think we've needed for a while. I thinks he'll play back for Carltank, but forward for most other games. Swing him back if we need his strength down back. He needs to practice his goal kicking though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back