List Mgmt. 2022 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Interested to know where posters think Johnson "should" have gone.
Five to fifteen in my opinion.

I suspected at the time that he indicated he would be looking to return to WA after his contract and it scared off a few teams but Hawthorn were considering him at their first pick for a reason.

Erasmus is a workhorse but doesn't have the polish, Johnson has the polish but didn't have the same body of work shown. You can add hard work to polish, you can't add polish to hard work. The two work perfectly together, if we have contested marks at half forward and Erasmus can't handball to Johnson to hit a target on the lead then Erasmus can kick it as long as possible to where his forwards will expect him to then create a contest.

Winning the ball is really valuable. Using the ball is really valuable. Johnson being able to do both will be very exciting.

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC

PSA footy: Wesley College comes from behind to win top-of-the-table clash against Hale School​

Headshot of Jordan McArdle
Jordan McArdleThe West Australian
Thu, 23 June 2022 5:21PM
Jordan McArdle

Wesley captain Will Cassidy was one of the better players on ground.

Wesley captain Will Cassidy was one of the better players on ground. Credit: Justin Benson-Cooper/The West Australian

Wesley College have recovered from a slow start to knock off Hale School in a top-of-the-table PSA clash at Rossiter Oval on Thursday.
Wesley booted eight goals to one in the second half to overcome a 25-point deficit and prevail by 30 - 10.12 (72) to 6.6 (42) - as they hunt their first Alcock Cup title since 2011.
Both schools were 6-1 heading into the clash with the result putting Wesley (7-1) outright top ahead of two-time reigning premiers Scotch College (5-1) and Hale (6-2).
Talented utility Kaleb Smith was everywhere for the home side in a best-afield performance, racking up the clearances and delivering the ball with class inside 50 in tough conditions.
Will Cassidy, who captained the side in draft fancy Reuben Ginbey’s absence, was another important midfield performer, while Aiden O’Driscoll provided a second-half spark with his elite running on the outside and creativity in attack.
O’Driscoll took a stunning mark deep in attack late in the third quarter in one of the highlights of the day before converting his close-range set shot and put the result to bed with his second with a few minutes left.
Will Beggs also majors while speedster Mitch Miller was another handful up forward.
Hale enjoyed red-hot start with three goals to none in the opening term and another after quarter-time before Wesley finally had their first at the nine-minute mark of the second through Max Nield’s classy snap.
Captain Harry Cole, one of his school’s best, responded with a huge long-range goal on the run before the home side started to get on top without a great deal to show for it on the scoreboard, still trailing by 19 at the main break.
That deficit was erased within 13 minutes of the second half as Wesley straightened up in front of the sticks and never looked back.
Aside from Cole, vice-captain Callum Smith battled hard down back, Jack Beggs kicked two first-half majors, Rudy Webster did some good things and ruck duo Alex Perin and Pat Hart competed well.
Round nine of PSA action continues on Saturday with Scotch looking to continue their ways after a bye when they travel to Christ Church, while Guildford hosts Trinity.

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC

PSA footy: Guildford wins first game of the season against Trinity, Dockers NGA talent shines for Scotch​

Sun, 26 June 2022 2:10PM
Jordan McArdle

Guildford celebrate during their drought-breaking win over Trinity.

Guildford celebrate during their drought-breaking win over Trinity. Credit: Jessica Tweed

There were emotional scenes at Guildford Grammar after the school broke through for its first win of the PSA season.
After seven consecutive losses to start to the year, Guildford got over the line by eight points in a thriller against Trinity College on Saturday - 9.11 (65) to 8.9 (57).
“Very proud” first-year coach Mark McGough admitted he got a bit emotional in the rooms post-match.
“Kids in the room were in tears, some of the older boys and the boarders who have been around for a while, I was a bit emotional myself,” McGough said.
“It was a really big effort from the boys. I’m just really proud of them.
“We played well for three quarters, I’m not sure what was happening in the first quarter so I gave them a little bit of a bake and the boys responded.
It was one of those cases where all the boys tried really hard, did all of those second and third effort and defensive efforts, continued to take risks and won those hard balls.
“It takes a while getting to know the boys and know how they play and for the older boys who board together and live together, it was really special for them.”

Lewis Zolnier-Owens was the hero up forward with a monster haul of 5.5, which could have easily been more, while Nathan Dunne added two.
Captain Luke Kelly continued his consistent season in the midfield with the help of Year 11 Tom Taylor, the younger brother of GWS Giant Sam, who enjoyed his best game of the year.

Guildford captain Luke Kelly gets a handball away during his school's breakthrough win over Trinity.

Guildford captain Luke Kelly gets a handball away during his school's breakthrough win over Trinity. Credit: Jessica Tweed
For Trinity, Trent Laufer had a breakout three-goal game and Josh Strohmeier was also important up forward.
Midfield pair Christian Tot and Max York fought hard all day, likewise with James Watson and Kaleb Rodriguez down back.
In the other Saturday game, two-time reigning champs Scotch College easily accounted for Christ Church Grammar School by 51 points - 14.10 (94) to 6.7 (43).
Fremantle Next Generation Academy talent Jett Sibosado was exciting as a rebounding defender, Tyler Messina booted three goals and Matthew Galjaardt stood out in the midfield for the victors.
Round 10 started on Thursday with Wesley College blowing away Hale School after half-time to go outright top of the ladder with a game in hand over Scotch.
Wesley booted eight goals to one in the second half to overcome a 25-point deficit and prevail by 30 - 10.12 (72) to 6.6 (42) - as they hunt their first Alcock Cup title since 2011.

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC

PSA footy: Wayward Scotch College go equal top after beating improved Guildford Grammar​

Wed, 29 June 2022 6:45PM
Comments
Jordan McArdle

Guildford Grammar's Matt Dellar tussles with Scotch College ruck Coen Livingstone.

Guildford Grammar's Matt Dellar tussles with Scotch College ruck Coen Livingstone. Credit: Mandy Zolnier

Scotch College have gone into the school holiday break equal-top of the PSA ladder after surviving a scare for a 35-point win over Guildford at home on Wednesday.
The two-time reigning champs prevailed 13.19 (97) to 9.8 (62) for their seventh win of the season to match fellow Alcock Cup contenders Wesley College’s 7-1 record and go one ahead of Hale School’s 6-2.
Scotch were on top of all facets of the game for longer, from clearances to inside 50s and scoring shots, but struggled with inaccuracy in front of the sticks to keep Guildford in it.
Guildford cut the margin back to 10 points early in the second half after kicking back-to-back goals, including a stunner from the boundary line from in-form key forward Lewis Zolnier-Owens, after winning some important centre clearances.
Zolnier-Owens backed up his five majors in Saturday’s breakthrough win over Trinity College with another three, two of those from near-impossible angles.

Guildford Grammar's Lewis Zolnier-Owens takes a strong mark during his three-goal performance against Scotch College.

Guildford Grammar's Lewis Zolnier-Owens takes a strong mark during his three-goal performance against Scotch College. Credit: Mandy Zolnier
Livewire Tyler Messina (three goals) helped extinguish a brave fightback from the visitors with a brilliant running goal and another from a set shot before three-quarter time.

The East Fremantle colt, who was best on ground, also had an impact in the midfield when he got a run in there as a pinch-hitter.

Ed Graham continued his brilliant season down back, taking several intercept marks and connecting well with the midfield with his booming left foot.

Scotch's Tyler Messina starred in the second half. Credit: Daniel Wilkins/The West Australian
Spearhead Joe Matthews was dominant up forward early, taking three contested mark inside 50 in the opening term alone to go with two goals, while Mason Ness (two) popped up late.
Guildford, had their moments with captain Luke Kelly leading from the front once again, West Coast Next Generation Academy talent Oscar Hine-Baston providing a midfield spark after half-time to go with his early goal, Matt Dellar showcasing his speed on the outside and Oliver Sills contributing two final-quarter majors.

Dump Truck

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Elijah Hewett (#11) and Cole (#38) for WA have played an amazing 2nd quarter. Hewett just oozes class. I hadn't heard of Cole before today but seems a Fritsch/Sturt type.
WA dominated 2nd quarter but couldn't convert most shots. Cole kicked 2.3 that quarter.
VM 5.1 31
WA 5.10 40

Wobbly Punt

All Australian
Feb 24, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hewett has been fantastic for sure. As have quite a few others. It has the smell of a game that either we rue our wasted chances when VicM gain momentum and take over or we win going away as the better team enjoying the weight of numbers. Let’s see.🤞🏼

Great that the game is being broadcast. Footy is certainly getting that right. The amount of lower level stuff and juniors able to be viewed via stream or broadcast now is great for those of us interested in the next gen. Good stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dump Truck

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Vic Metro now dominating. Jefferson kicked 7 already late in the 3rd.
VM 13.2 82
WA 5.11 41

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
Feel like Darcy Jones is the perfect pick for us in the draft this year, would love to get in a position to draft him in what I assume would be the 20-35 range

If we assume our midfield rotation of the future is Johnson-Brayshaw-Erasmus-Serong-Brodie with a combination of O'Driscoll, Switta and maybe Young going through there. Feel there's a need for a Walters type who can play half-forward and in the midfield and Jones fits that perfectly. Someone in the broadcast today compared him to Travis Colyer and I'd agree that he's a less limited Colyer (Better decision making and more of an x-factor).

Also through rewatching the WA-Vic Metro game, Cole was one I hadn't had too much info on compared to other WA boys but I think he'd also be great for us with good enough development, concerns on his goal kicking accuracy though, a few opportunities to snap one around the corner that he didn't take and missed.

Also I know we hate taking Metro kids on here because we've been burnt in the past but I quite like the idea of developing Lewis Hayes as a tall defender over the next 3-4 years. Hamling probably won't be around much longer, Pearce isn't getting any younger and Logue and Chapman aren't playing a true tall defender role. Give him a few years and I think Hayes is worth the risk as a Vic Metro pick and would pair well with Cox in the middle-late part of the decade

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Feel like Darcy Jones is the perfect pick for us in the draft this year, would love to get in a position to draft him in what I assume would be the 20-35 range

If we assume our midfield rotation of the future is Johnson-Brayshaw-Erasmus-Serong-Brodie with a combination of O'Driscoll, Switta and maybe Young going through there. Feel there's a need for a Walters type who can play half-forward and in the midfield and Jones fits that perfectly. Someone in the broadcast today compared him to Travis Colyer and I'd agree that he's a less limited Colyer (Better decision making and more of an x-factor).

Also through rewatching the WA-Vic Metro game, Cole was one I hadn't had too much info on compared to other WA boys but I think he'd also be great for us with good enough development, concerns on his goal kicking accuracy though, a few opportunities to snap one around the corner that he didn't take and missed.

Also I know we hate taking Metro kids on here because we've been burnt in the past but I quite like the idea of developing Lewis Hayes as a tall defender over the next 3-4 years. Hamling probably won't be around much longer, Pearce isn't getting any younger and Logue and Chapman aren't playing a true tall defender role. Give him a few years and I think Hayes is worth the risk as a Vic Metro pick and would pair well with Cox in the middle-late part of the decade

Agree that he could be a neat fit but what is your argument for why he (Darcy Jones) will go 20-35? When we did the mock draft in May no one was that interested despite him already being quite well performed; I ended up picking him (for St Kilda) at 51 and there was some decent talent in there between 20 - 51 that I can certainly see why those names went before. Jones work hard, has had a good consistent year and has the dash, but his height (175cm) and inconsistent kicking will surely have him fall quite a bit?

Aug 23, 2017
Grounded
AFL Club
Fremantle
Agree that he could be a neat fit but what is your argument for why he (Darcy Jones) will go 20-35? When we did the mock draft in May no one was that interested despite him already being quite well performed; I ended up picking him (for St Kilda) at 51 and there was some decent talent in there between 20 - 51 that I can certainly see why those names went before. Jones work hard, has had a good consistent year and has the dash, but his height (175cm) and inconsistent kicking will surely have him fall quite a bit?

I think if we are adding to the midfield that dash, and elite kicking skills are a must. Being a ball magnet would be nice as well.

Unfortunately those characteristics also seem to go early in the draft.

I Like Phillipou and potentially Brayden George for those characteristics.

It’s early days in the Champs so let’s have a good look at the lads.. around our first pick their are likely to be some good options I suspect.

Then if we trade that said pick for someone then we are going to need to be a bit more inventive.

Come on Wall’sy you know you love a challenge.

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
His great performance today and his general consistency across all his games played makes me think he’s going to go a bit higher than we expected at the start of the year. Seems set for a good champs which is the best thing a small player can ask for

His great performance today and his general consistency across all his games played makes me think he’s going to go a bit higher than we expected at the start of the year. Seems set for a good champs which is the best thing a small player can ask for
Conrad didn’t play did he? Is he injured?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back