List Mgmt. 2022 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Polo342

10 TOP DRAFT PROSPECTS TO WATCH IN 2023​

1. Harley Reid (Vic Country)​

What can’t he do? The 185cm boy from Tongala has played through the midfield, in defence and in the forward line this year and has impacted in every position. He looks up to AFL midfielder-forwards Paddy Dangerfield, Nat Fyfe and Christian Petracca and is a similarly good overhead mark as well as possessing explosive speed and silky skills. Recruiters say he would be ready to be drafted this year if he were eligible.

2. Ashton Moir (South Australia)​

A 186cm half-forward, Moir excites both in the air and at ground level. The Glenelg product is described by recruiters as “a star” who is in the mix to be the No. 1 draft pick next year. Moir kicked 30 goals from 10 SANFL under-18 games this year and starred with shot up draft boards when he booted four goals for South Australia as a bottom-age player in the under-18 national championships against Western Australia in July.

3. Nick Watson (Vic Metro)​

The Eastern Ranges product is being nicknamed ‘Wizard Watson’, given his incredible abilities around goal. The small forward averaged 2.6 goals from 11.9 disposals across seven NAB League games this season, while also playing three under-18 games for Vic Metro as a bottom-age player and kicking five goals. He only stands 169cm but Watson is quick, agile and can take a mark.

4. Colby McKercher (Allies)​

A midfielder from Tasmania with a nice left-foot kick, recruiters describe McKercher as a quicker version of Essendon’s Zach Merrett. While some of his games later in the year were not as good as what he produced earlier in the season, McKercher is still viewed as a top prospect for next year and was among the best players for Team Houli in the Under 17 Futures game on AFL Grand Final Day with 20 disposals and four clearances.

5. Jed Walter (Allies)​

A 195cm key forward, Walter has shown plenty in his bottom-age year. A member of the Gold Coast Suns Academy, he is an athletic big man who works hard and has a physical presence in the air. Walter managed just eight disposals and four marks in the Under 17 Futures game, but had averaged 9.3 disposals and 2.3 goals across four under 18 national championships games for the Allies.

Zane Duursma has a serious highlights reel. Picture: Getty Images

Zane Duursma has a serious highlights reel. Picture: Getty Images

6. Zane Duursma (Vic Country)​

The brother of Port Adelaide’s Xavier Duursma is a very exciting mobile forward or midfielder who is a good size at 188cm. The Gippsland Power product averaged 15.5 disposals and 2.2 goals across 14 NAB League matches as a bottom-age player this year, while also playing two game of the under 18 national championships for Vic Country. He has “pure ability” and his highlights reel is already quite special.

7. Archer Reid (Vic Country)​

A versatile tall with a great overhead mark, Reid shapes as one of the top key position players in next year’s draft. Standing 201cm, he is the brother of Essendon defender Zach Reid but is much better suited as a forward at the other end. He reads the play well and is good for a big man below his knees.

8. Nate Caddy (Vic Metro)​

The nephew of two-time Richmond premiership player Josh Caddy, the 190cm forward looks a handy player of the future. He has strong hands overhead, is athletic and presents well. He averaged 14.5 disposals, 4.5 marks and 1.4 goals across 13 NAB League games for the Northern Knights this year. Good running ability and footy smarts have also seen Caddy used as a tall midfielder at stages this year.

9. Mitchell Edwards (Western Australia)​

A 205cm giant, the Peel Thunder product is part of Fremantle’s Next Generation Academy and shapes as one of Western Australia’s top draft prospects for next year. The athletic ruckman featured in all four games of the under 18 national championships for his state this year, averaging 11 disposals, 1.8 marks and 18.5 hit-outs. He also impressed throughout the year in the WAFL Colts.

10. Daniel Curtin (Western Australia)​

A 195cm key position player, Curtin won the medal as the best player on the ground in the Under 17 Futures game on AFL Grand Final day. He played across halfback in that match and showed off his agility and sound decision making, but recruiters have also liked what he has shown as a forward this year with Claremont in the WAFL Colts.

Attachments

• 1664350340192.gif
    1664350340192.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 51

No. But my point is they must’ve been reasonably close for the AFL clubs here to bother trialing them for a list spot.
We can go around in circles, my point is that no one will draft them because they aren't good enough - doesn't matter how close you think a player may or may not be, the fact of the matter is they aren't on a list and are unlikely to be on one next year.

Watched him play every Souths game at home this season. I think he is a very good Meek replacement.
Doubt it will happen and with my Souths hat hope it doesn’t.

Same. It would just essentially be making Peel stronger and weakening Sowfs for no reason.

He would be back up. It's called depth.

Yes, but you don't draft a 24 year old to be a 3rd choice ruckman, nor do I think he would be happy to do it. Don't forget that at his age he has a life and is probably working a full time job. You are asking him to basically put his life on hold on the off chance that he might play a couple of games a year when Darcy inevitably gets injured.

You only draft a 24 year old (who will be 25 mid-season) if you need them now. If we want a 3rd choice ruckman we should be looking in the 20-22 age range that we can develop for a couple of years.

There's a long way to go yet. He is one of the talls currently making a name so that will send him up the list but more will break out next season as they grow.

We currently can't match anything before pick #40. If that comes back to pick #20 we could be fine. At this stage a top ten rated tall player can slide considerably in twelve months.

I am so confused! If GC have a few academy prospects emerging next year for top 40 contention, can they match? If they can, is that a GC/GWS bonus only?

I am so confused! If GC have a few academy prospects emerging next year for top 40 contention, can they match? If they can, is that a GC/GWS bonus only?

... all of Brisbane, GC, GWS and Sydney can match their academy bids from pick #1

All clubs can match father son bids from #1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hamish Free would be a good pick-up. Whilst he is a promising WAFL ruckman he still has a lot of development. Recruited to South’s from Mandurah in the Peel league for start of 2020.

He is still young for a ruckman at 24 (turning 25 in 2023). He would be able to step in for a few games next year if either of Jackson or Darcy were injured and they wanted to go with two rucks. Need to remember we’re losing both Lobb and potentially Meek. Yes bringing in Jackson but will need another. Eric Benning is out 19/20 year old developing ruck. We need someone to be able to step in and play now.

Yes, but you don't draft a 24 year old to be a 3rd choice ruckman, nor do I think he would be happy to do it. Don't forget that at his age he has a life and is probably working a full time job. You are asking him to basically put his life on hold on the off chance that he might play a couple of games a year when Darcy inevitably gets injured.

You only draft a 24 year old (who will be 25 mid-season) if you need them now. If we want a 3rd choice ruckman we should be looking in the 20-22 age range that we can develop for a couple of years.

Do you know him personally? He may want that opertunity. You are speaking on behalf of him

What? Absolutely you do draft mature age ruckman for that. No-one is holding a gun to his head making him sign the draft paperwork.

Pass me a tissue I think I'm going to cry

Of laughter

Todd Curley likes this.

So looks like Ed Allen is going to be a bolter this year and come in around the 20/30 mark. Pretty good size at 194cm. Crazy how you've got a guy a who is the inaugural captain of a footy club - Ben Allen - and his son is not even eligible for father/son of that club.

He needs to change his name to Daicos. Can't have a Daicos playing for any other club.

So looks like Ed Allen is going to be a bolter this year and come in around the 20/30 mark. Pretty good size at 194cm. Crazy how you've got a guy a who is the inaugural captain of a footy club - Ben Allen - and his son is not even eligible for father/son of that club.
Said this before - absolutely bullshit we can have priority access to him given his his old man played at Claremont- aligned games to Freo, WA games, played for Fremantle as inaugural captain, coached the club when were custard and was a board member.
FFS….

Remove this Banner Ad

Back