Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
2023-Player-Positions.png

Last edited:
We need Luke Jackson to end up at WC instead of Freo.

Then we can start Darcy & Marshall in the rucks and even Jackson up fwd.

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Manchester United, All Blacks
Taranto will get solid midfield minutes and get a heap of the ball, but he's still a butcher lol. Don't get me wrong, I'll strongly consider him. But I reckon there's a lot of forward options next season, I might not fit him in.

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
If Soldo gets to GWS he will be their number 1 ruck.
Will he? They will have Soldo, Preuss, Flynn, and Briggs all AFL capable rucks.

I know their new coach is ex-Richmond but I would have no confidence that any of them get a decent run in the side.

Soldo will be cheap but 4 tons in 49 games (all in 2020 when scoring was inflated) isn't that impressive.

Will he? They will have Soldo, Preuss, Flynn, and Briggs all AFL capable rucks.

I know their new coach is ex-Richmond but I would have no confidence that any of them get a decent run in the side.

Soldo will be cheap but 4 tons in 49 games (all in 2020 when scoring was inflated) isn't that impressive.
All his 2019 games were without Nank, averaged 75.7, not too bad considering he'd only played 8 games going into the season.

His 2020 season was pretty impressive, I actually prefered Soldo to Nank, but then Hawkins pushed him in the back and he did his ACL, just hasn't come good from it yet.

R1 he scored 108 from 58% TOG. Nank got injured.

Solo R2 and 3 for a 108 (Grundy) and 32 (pantsed by Ceglar lol)

Nank back into the side R4, Soldo out.
Nank dead again round 5. Soldo back in round 6.

Averaged 82 while Nank was out, including a game where he had 66% TOG and got blasted by Omac for a score of 28.
Had Mabior Chol as 2nd ruck every week until Nank came back.

Nank back in round 14 then Soldo did his knee R17.

Nank somehow managed 22 games this year, and Soldo fell out of favour for Miller as he was more versatile.

Great tap ruckman, but pretty useless around the ground. Has to be a genuine #1 to even be considered as he won't get a discount either.

At least he'll be a FWD/RUCK

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
All his 2019 games were without Nank, averaged 75.7, not too bad considering he'd only played 8 games going into the season.

His 2020 season was pretty impressive, I actually prefered Soldo to Nank, but then Hawkins pushed him in the back and he did his ACL, just hasn't come good from it yet.

R1 he scored 108 from 58% TOG. Nank got injured.

Solo R2 and 3 for a 108 (Grundy) and 32 (pantsed by Ceglar lol)

Nank back into the side R4, Soldo out.
Nank dead again round 5. Soldo back in round 6.

Averaged 82 while Nank was out, including a game where he had 66% TOG and got blasted by Omac for a score of 28.
Had Mabior Chol as 2nd ruck every week until Nank came back.

Nank back in round 14 then Soldo did his knee R17.

Nank somehow managed 22 games this year, and Soldo fell out of favour for Miller as he was more versatile.

Great tap ruckman, but pretty useless around the ground. Has to be a genuine #1 to even be considered as he won't get a discount either.

At least he'll be a FWD/RUCK
Priced @ 54 he might be worth it as a R/F I guess. Could make enough cash to be a stepping stone but I have trust issues with GWS, new coach or not.

Priced @ 54 he might be worth it as a R/F I guess. Could make enough cash to be a stepping stone but I have trust issues with GWS, new coach or not.

Hopefully we aren't stuck making picks like this to fill our starting 29/30.

Seymour Skinner I might be with you if he gets a move. Reckon GWS are just putting the pressure on Richmond to get the Hopper deal done though.

Thought this was a bit of a weird move by GWS, doesn't it just make it more obvious that they can't afford to keep Hopper on the books?

If they can't get a deal done for Hopper they're gonna ship off a bloke that's on an even bigger and much longer contract?

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Thought this was a bit of a weird move by GWS, doesn't it just make it more obvious that they can't afford to keep Hopper on the books?

If they can't get a deal done for Hopper they're gonna ship off a bloke that's on an even bigger and much longer contract?
Whitfield's a much better player than Hopper though.

Think he was named in the VFL team of the year, despite all our jokes he must be close to a game next year.

Got Swans VFL player of the year award too.

Think he was named in the VFL team of the year, despite all our jokes he must be close to a game next year.
Definitely will be in the mix next year. Was one of the reserves that ran laps after the Preliminary Final in case he was needed.

Only question is if he will be in front or beyond Francis in selection discussion if we end up getting him.

Either one could potentially be good value though. I suspect if Francis is in the team, he plays Paddy's role from this year, and Paddy plays a more one-on-one role.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
English is a non starter for me. Any kind of concussion issue and he'll be out for a month.

I might risk Marshall, if he looks like playing as solo ruck.
English another year older .....had a huge start to last season .....can't see any "set & forget" RUCK options next year, so going max points

Then again ....I did hold Whitfield an entire season ....so not great credibility :straining:

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
English another year older .....had a huge start to last season .....can't see any "set & forget" RUCK options next year, so going max points

Then again ....I did hold Whitfield an entire season ....so not great credibility :straining:
Yes the ruck line is going to be our biggest issue. Might be best just to aim for durability. The below are the only rucks to play 22 games last year. What a win Witts was for anyone that started him. Doubt Nank plays 22 again. Might be the year to punt on Draper?

1665090548450.png

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Yes the ruck line is going to be our biggest issue. Might be best just to aim for durability. The below are the only rucks to play 22 games last year. What a win Witts was for anyone that started him. Doubt Nank plays 22 again. Might be the year to punt on Draper?

View attachment 1528907
I was hoping your post would make me feel better about this years RUCK's .......it hasn't .....do better ! ;)

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
I was hoping your post would make me feel better about this years RUCK's .......it hasn't .....do better ! ;)
I'll probably start Grundy, should be reasonable value. Something must be up with Gawn for Melbourne to get another top line ruck. Surely Lobb or Meek would suit them better if Gawn is fit and firing?

Marshall should be OK. He's terribly inconsistent though, and not very durable.

Maybe having one (or more) R/F in the forward line and just accepting your rucks might miss is the answer? Set and Forget looks dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back