2023 Academy Spotlight - Jed Walter (Palm Beach Currumbin)

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting to see how Walter has changed his body shape in the last 12 months from the Allies 2022 on the left to the Allies 2023 on the right. The 2022 version of Walter looks more like the 'manchild' description that people used to refer to and in 2023 he looks lean / more muscular like a true pro athlete.

mnshbNG.png

I get the feeling the AFL commentators are going to love his kicking action as well:

bWmRqiw.png

Interesting to see how Walter has changed his body shape in the last 12 months from the Allies 2022 on the left to the Allies 2023 on the right. The 2022 version of Walter looks more like the 'manchild' description that people used to refer to and in 2023 he looks lean / more muscular like a true pro athlete.

mnshbNG.png

I get the feeling the AFL commentators are going to love his kicking action as well:

bWmRqiw.png
i want him in our round 1 side

Might be local bias speaking, but if this kid was living in Melbourne he would be getting talked up as THE GUY to trade into the number 1 pick in the draft for.

Should’ve kicked 5 goals a game at the champs with his inaccuracy and just has that f*ck you, I’m better than you onfield attitude that backs up his talent that coaches dream of.

Less than a month out from the draft and Jed Walter appears to be a consensus top 2 pick. It really has been a remarkable year for the local lad from Palm Beach after being labelled a 'manchild' by some last year and some not believing he was deserving of a top 10 selection. He's proved all the doubters wrong and shown you can become the highest rated junior in the land if you come from Queensland. Easily the best and most exciting junior prospect from Queensland since Nick Riewoldt was running around for Southport in the year 2000. It's a pretty monumental moment in the history of Queensland footy.

Might be local bias speaking, but if this kid was living in Melbourne he would be getting talked up as THE GUY to trade into the number 1 pick in the draft for.

Should’ve kicked 5 goals a game at the champs with his inaccuracy and just has that f*ck you, I’m better than you onfield attitude that backs up his talent that coaches dream of.
I think you're right. If Jed was playing junior footy in Melbourne and completely dominated for the Big V/Vic Country in the national championships in the same vein he did for the Allies both last year and this year then people down south would be dubbing him the next Wayne Carey. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on your perspective) he's a little off broadway up here and didn't get the same week-to-week coverage Harley Reid experienced in the Coates Talent League. People down south don't really understand just how good Walter is because they haven't seen much of him but they will next year.

This is our man. Brisbane had a local junior who became a star in Michael Voss, Adelaide had a local junior who became a star in Mark Ricciuto, West Coast had a local junior who became a star in Ben Cousins. We have a local junior who has all the attributes to become a star and his name is Jed Walter. Get around him!

Just one day to go until Jed lives up to the hype and becomes the best prospect to ever come out of our academy and arguably the best prospect we've ever seen come out of Queensland (including Riewoldt). I remember early days when we were linked to local key forwards Riewoldt/Tippett and people were excited about the prospect of a homegrown star key forward playing for our city but unfortunately we never got to experience that. Now we get the opportunity to experience it with Walter and he could really ignite footy on the GC if he truly is a Curnow clone like the draft experts believe he is. We're potentially looking at a generational talent here, folks. He's exactly what we need to capture the minds and hearts of the locals on the Gold Coast. Some will say that's too much pressure to put on a young man but if you know anything about Jed then you'll understand that he's absolutely the guy for the job.

Just one day to go until Jed lives up to the hype and becomes the best prospect to ever come out of our academy and arguably the best prospect we've ever seen come out of Queensland (including Riewoldt). I remember early days when we were linked to local key forwards Riewoldt/Tippett and people were excited about the prospect of a homegrown star key forward playing for our city but unfortunately we never got to experience that. Now we get the opportunity to experience it with Walter and he could really ignite footy on the GC if he truly is a Curnow clone like the draft experts believe he is. We're potentially looking at a generational talent here, folks. He's exactly what we need to capture the minds and hearts of the locals on the Gold Coast. Some will say that's too much pressure to put on a young man but if you know anything about Jed then you'll understand that he's absolutely the guy for the job.
Better prospect than Riewoldt?
Have a cold shower.

There’s more about Jed in the media in Melbourne in papers or on the news then Harley
Because he’s going to the Suns. And he’s attached to an academy.

Kind of like how Daicos and Ashcroft got so much attention in previous years. Hype them up because they can’t really be touched by other clubs—even though both were Pick 1 (or 2 at least) prospects. Just like Jed.

I love your optimism bro! This board needs more of your positivity! You’re the ultimate hype man. I’m on board.

Better prospect than Riewoldt?
Have a cold shower.
I prefaced it with "arguably" because I knew some wouldn't agree. St Kilda said it was a coin flip in the end as to who they wanted to take with pick 1 between Riewoldt and Koschitzke. Many draft experts are thinking the same way this year with Reid and Walter. Riewoldt was an U18 All-Australian in 2000 and played a minor role in Southport's run to a QAFL premiership that year, meanwhile Walter was a dual U18 All-Australian in 2022 & 2023 and did it with an injured PCL this year as well as leading the Allies to their first ever National Championship. So which is truly the better prospect at the same age? You could argue either way, hence the use of the word "arguably".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back