Brownlow 2023 AFL Brownlow Medal Night

Remove this Banner Ad

i mean hes two years into his career, a bit early to be making such big claims. i have no doubts if he were required to be an in and under player he would absolutely excel in that role

at the moment hes most valuable on the outside being given the footy and making great use of it, hes an absolute star idk why people are so quick to denigrate him tbh

It's the NicNat effect - people are already sick of the ridiculous media hype and it turns people against him.

It's part of the reason I don't consume any footy media outside of games (and bigfooty), but even then I haven't been able to avoid the Daicos wankfest.

It's the NicNat effect - people are already sick of the ridiculous media hype and it turns people against him.

It's part of the reason I don't consume any footy media outside of games (and bigfooty), but even then I haven't been able to avoid the Daicos wankfest.
eh if he played for us id want him to be wanked off as much as possible

hes fun to watch and idgaf what the commentators say anyway, not going to let them sour me on an exciting young player taking the game on as he does

It's weird balance, there's a big streak of tall poppy syndrome in Australian culture but the media do way over-hype certain players, including Fyfe for a long period.

Who do we think is the most likely to win a Brownlow at Freo when we are hitting our straps in a few years time? My vote is Jacko, similarly following in the steps of Goodes. The acceptable speech would be one to remember.

Serongs 24 votes is being understated a bit.
He missed a game too. If he can add an extra few goals to his bag of tricks he’s in prime position next year to have a crack at it.
For all the Anderson hype Serong beat him by 2 votes in the end.
17 votes in the last 10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely up there with one of the most likely. We shouldn't sleep on Andy though since he polled 25 points last year.
Serong or Andy.
It’s can only be a high possession midfielder. They don’t give large numbers of Brownlow votes to guys like Jackson.

I cannot honestly see what fascination the Brownlow medal is. It's voted on by umpires who SHOULD be umpiring a game not watching players and their impact. Add to that is the fact they are watching midfielders because they are the ones primarily around the ball!

One of the biggest uneducated medals ever given out.

Players and Coaches awards would be so much more meaningful to a player I would think.

I cannot honestly see what fascination the Brownlow medal is. It's voted on by umpires who SHOULD be umpiring a game not watching players and their impact. Add to that is the fact they are watching midfielders because they are the ones primarily around the ball!

One of the biggest uneducated medals ever given out.

Players and Coaches awards would be so much more meaningful to a player I would think.

And the night itself is beyond tedious and so contrived. I stopped watching many years ago. Tuned in for the last couple of rounds last night after I finished watching Cocaine Bear. Wanted to throw a brick through my TV listening to the names read out at variable speeds and with dramatic pauses. Even the attempted grandstand finish was telegraphed by leaving Neale's game to the end when it was the 4th one played. There should be a set rule that every game is read out in exact order and with the same timing for the delivery of each name.

I reckon it’s great don’t have to deal with the circle jerking of the Prictorian media if Daicos won it, there will be enough going on during the week and Saturday over the Pies as it is.
I actually felt sorry for Daicos when Hamish interviewed him last night. It was ****ing cringeworthy and Daicos seems like a good bloke who was probably embarrassed by the whole thing.

You know it’s bad when you miss Bruce. Hamish and that woman whose name I didn’t catch, but who kept things moving along like a pissed-off mum of teenage boys - “And do you want to thank friends and family?” - tried super hard to seamlessly weave in all their research and lead the players to hilarious anecdotes and moving stories, but it was clunkier than a robot wank.

And the night itself is beyond tedious and so contrived. I stopped watching many years ago. Tuned in for the last couple of rounds last night after I finished watching Cocaine Bear. Wanted to throw a brick through my TV listening to the names read out at variable speeds and with dramatic pauses. Even the attempted grandstand finish was telegraphed by leaving Neale's game to the end when it was the 4th one played. There should be a set rule that every game is read out in exact order and with the same timing for the delivery of each name.
Yep.

Isn’t there supposed to be full secrecy about the votes (and by extension, the winner)?

How do they always know to put the match with the deciding vote at the end, to maximise suspense?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back