Resource 2023 AFL Draft Discussion...

Remove this Banner Ad

This gets said way more often than it actually happens
Oh totally. We've been nothing if not passive in trade up's in the past, had 1 decent swing of the bat and thats about it.

But reading the tea leaves we are in a unique position this year in that we will likely be looking to move on from our Future 1st (and GCS are looking to do the opposite). If we choose to be aggressive then there is nothing stopping us from having a clear run at it.

So what player are we moving up to secure that is guaranteed to be there and what club/clubs are you suggesting would be open to trading down their pick remembering West Coast and North have more dire quality player wise needs than us?

Unless we win some games we are not expected to win from here on we will have a decent pick anyhow.

How do we get in Harley Reid territory?
Thats the point i'm making, there are no guarentee's in any of it, only offers. From here mathematically we could drop as low as 16th or climb as high as 5th in the season. But we have huge ammo linked to our 1st, North's 2nd, GCS's 2nd and a F1 we are not looking to hold onto, which is enough to get us in the conversation of a trade of damn near anyone.

Hell, even West Coast would have to listen if we pony'd up with 3 x 1sts and a decent player. Especially if we do fall back down the ladder (not that i'm saying we do that). I'm just saying we have the ammo to ask the question of any team in front of us.

Regarding the best player, I don't know. I don't think anyone is game enough to predict much in this draft right now, which could also work in favour of a team/list manager willing to be aggressive.

Why do the U18 state teams pick bottom-agers?
Why not? If a player isn’t in the best team including ahead of bottom agers they’re unlikely draftable and it’s not about “giving them a go”

it’s the best players eligible to make the side who are under that age- not between certain ages, theoretically a 15yr old could be picked.

Why not? If a player isn’t in the best team including ahead of bottom agers they’re unlikely draftable and it’s not about “giving them a go”

it’s the best players eligible to make the side who are under that age- not between certain ages, theoretically a 15yr old could be picked.
Players get drafted each year who were outside the state teams. Jordan Dawson for one.

They don't invite under-agers to the draft combine. Why? What if some under-agers are amazing athletes and would score well on the tests?

Because they can't be drafted. It would be pointless.

Seems equally pointless to me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players get drafted each year who were outside the state teams. Jordan Dawson for one.

They don't invite under-agers to the draft combine. Why? What if some under-agers are amazing athletes and would score well on the tests?

The State games are a competition and the All Australian side is one of the outcomes.

The draft combine is solely about displaying and measuring athletes to be drafted.

The State games are a competition and the All Australian side is one of the outcomes.

The draft combine is solely about displaying and measuring athletes to be drafted.
That's not why it exists though

It's effectively the game element of the draft combine

Why do the U18 state teams pick bottom-agers?
Good question , I reckon it’s partly because they’re good enough to make team better and partly because the recruiters want to see them at that level

In SA case this year their midfield would have been horrible without Draper ( and Hargrave made them much better when he came in and gave them a chance to win games )

Trade up for Nick Watson. He’ll be the second best player to come out of this draft.
He’s a gun

So is Mckercher and Ethan Read

Curtin not far off them either

Weird draft as never seen a better 170cm come through in 15 years , never seen more of a freak ruck around the ground like Ethan read and never seen a better pressure applier and tackler in a tall forward than Jed Walter

Not the normal things you get so even though a less than average draft some special things

Draft combine is for testing pre draft… as in those who may get drafted

U18 state team is a best Available under that age, whatever age they are. Naturally it’s a part of pre draft assessments but no one ever says it’s just for those getting drafted.

‘’if you’re good enough you deserve to play representative footy whether your getting drafted that year or not. Its about the best plating the best.

‘’if they were selecting an underager to give them a taste or further their development that’s different, but if they deserve to be in the team then that’s end of debate really

Draft combine is for testing pre draft… as in those who may get drafted

U18 state team is a best Available under that age, whatever age they are. Naturally it’s a part of pre draft assessments but no one ever says it’s just for those getting drafted.

‘’if you’re good enough you deserve to play representative footy whether your getting drafted that year or not. Its about the best plating the best.

‘’if they were selecting an underager to give them a taste or further their development that’s different, but if they deserve to be in the team then that’s end of debate really
Reeks of coaches chasing a result (win) rather than trying to get players drafted

What is their role I wonder? Their KPIs?

A criticism of the SA program in the past has been that we tend to pick players who might be successful at the Under 18 carnival (strong but slow midfielders, undersized key defenders etc) instead of those with the skills/athletic traits that could see them drafted.

Reeks of coaches chasing a result (win) rather than trying to get players drafted

What is their role I wonder? Their KPIs?

A criticism of the SA program in the past has been that we tend to pick players who might be successful at the Under 18 carnival (strong but slow midfielders, undersized key defenders etc) instead of those with the skills/athletic traits that could see them drafted.
I guess it ultimately comes down to the why of the squad.

I think there’s 2 issues there that IMO have seperate answers.

Criticism of picking a team to win with those types yiu mentioned is a flaw. Pick the most talented, not the most physically developed who may give the short term win

In the same sense if an u17 is in the most talented by all means pick them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back