Resource 2023 AFL Draft Discussion...

Remove this Banner Ad

Reeks of coaches chasing a result (win) rather than trying to get players drafted

What is their role I wonder? Their KPIs?

A criticism of the SA program in the past has been that we tend to pick players who might be successful at the Under 18 carnival (strong but slow midfielders, undersized key defenders etc) instead of those with the skills/athletic traits that could see them drafted.
Any group of coaches that didn’t pick Jordan Dawson in his draft year should have been sacked / let go

He was playing league for Sturt at times that year in front of recruiters that rated him , surprised he didn’t go a bit earlier in draft

As much as I want talent into the list yesterday and am still frustrated we didn’t use our 2023 First to land Rankine and also currently have Phillipou - could we trade North’s second for a Future First and get some ammo to go all in for Sid Draper next year, and nab him before Welsh is bid on?

Ashton Moir another lack lustre game for the Bays reserves today, has to be something going on here.
How can a kid that is so talented on both feet and was looking so great last year just go so far backward..

he either has to be carrying something.. be mentally shot over something (maybe the draft year pressure to perform has got to him).. or has simply lost the passion for the game…

How can a kid that is so talented on both feet and was looking so great last year just go so far backward..

he either has to be carrying something.. be mentally shot over something (maybe the draft year pressure to perform has got to him).. or has simply lost the passion for the game…
Then he’s ours for sure

A pick as high as 5 still a possibility this year. Results and watching recent games suggest picks 1-4 are locked in.

Dees laughing that they've fleeced Freo of what is now looking like pick 4. Dees in a strong position to trade for pick 1

Good question !

I know one club that rates him highly still

I think he’s not naturally competitive which hurts him , something about his inner drive and willingness to compete is missing

Skills are all there , quite a mystery

If you’d never heard of him and went to watch a national champs game this year you wouldn’t scribble him down as a draftable player in most games

Good question !

I know one club that rates him highly still

I think he’s not naturally competitive which hurts him , something about his inner drive and willingness to compete is missing

Skills are all there , quite a mystery

If you’d never heard of him and went to watch a national champs game this year you wouldn’t scribble him down as a draftable player in most games
Which club jeff?

A pick as high as 5 still a possibility this year. Results and watching recent games suggest picks 1-4 are locked in.

Dees laughing that they've fleeced Freo of what is now looking like pick 4. Dees in a strong position to trade for pick 1
So as it stands now, Melbourne could offer WCE picks 4 and 15 this year and their frst next year which you would think would be another late 1st.

I think that would be very tempting for the Eagles, especially with the noise around Reid not wanting to leave Melbourne. Eagles just need to add as many quality kids as they can. They will more than likely have pick 1 again next year an maybe even the year after the way they are looking.

So as it stands now, Melbourne could offer WCE picks 4 and 15 this year and their frst next year which you would think would be another late 1st.

I think that would be very tempting for the Eagles, especially with the noise around Reid not wanting to leave Melbourne. Eagles just need to add as many quality kids as they can. They will more than likely have pick 1 again next year an maybe even the year after the way they are looking.
Hello. Eagles fan here.

The consensus on our board is that wouldn't do the job. Some people believe two top 10's plus a future first - a Melbourne fan suggested the ex-Freo pick 4 + Gold Coast's 5 for #1. First few posts from others suggest they feel that's unders - I don't myself, I feel that's on the money as being what an inflated value for someone touted as a particularly well desired #1 pick in Harley Reid should get. In terms of a points trade it's way skewed in the Blue and Gold favour which is somewhat problematic - equiv to pick 20 differential.

From a points perspective your suggestion (using a F1 valued at pick 15 as a likely point for Melbourne - top 4 probable) your trade is even heavier from an Eagles point perspective - it'd likely require some juggling of late picks to balance the books.

As it happens I was here to ask a question I'm sure your esteemed posters would readily have the answer to -

Your original offer for JHF - the touted first round picks for Pick 1 and a second rounder - what did they eventuate as being? I know Jordan Dawson was part of it, I just can't remember the whole details.

Best of luck for this afternoon's game. Cheers.

Hello. Eagles fan here.

The consensus on our board is that wouldn't do the job. Some people believe two top 10's plus a future first - a Melbourne fan suggested the ex-Freo pick 4 + Gold Coast's 5 for #1. First few posts from others suggest they feel that's unders - I don't myself, I feel that's on the money as being what an inflated value for someone touted as a particularly well desired #1 pick in Harley Reid should get. In terms of a points trade it's way skewed in the Blue and Gold favour which is somewhat problematic - equiv to pick 20 differential.

From a points perspective your suggestion (using a F1 valued at pick 15 as a likely point for Melbourne - top 4 probable) your trade is even heavier from an Eagles point perspective - it'd likely require some juggling of late picks to balance the books.

As it happens I was here to ask a question I'm sure your esteemed posters would readily have the answer to -

Your original offer for JHF - the touted first round picks for Pick 1 and a second rounder - what did they eventuate as being? I know Jordan Dawson was part of it, I just can't remember the whole details.

Dawson, Rachele and Rankine.

Hello. Eagles fan here.

You always need to offer more in terms of points if you are trying to get pick 1, if Melbourne could get a hold of GCs first pick this year, that would definitely help. 2 x top 10 picks plus something else would be around the mark.

Our offer to North was our pick 5, plus our future first (pick 6) and also Melbourne's future first which we had. Lucky for us they said no as that ended up being Rachele, Rankine and Dawson.

You always need to offer more in terms of points if you are trying to get pick 1, if Melbourne could get a hold of GCs first pick this year, that would definitely help. 2 x top 10 picks plus something else would be around the mark.

Our offer to North was our pick 5, plus our future first (pick 6) and also Melbourne's future first which we had. Lucky for us they said no as that ended up being Rachele, Rankine and Dawson.
Yeah, I know which of those I like more and it's not JHF.

Near on 1000 points is a huge point defecit to make up for though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zane Duursma fronted up for his 2nd VFL game for the Casey Demons (Melbourne VFL) against the AFL unaligned Coburg yesterday : 10 disposals, 6 kicks, 4 handballs, 3 marks, 0.1. played forward in the bits I've watched do far.

Big midfielder with X factor, Vic Country lad whose brother and sister are already in Adelaide playing for Port. I hope our recruiters are having a good look at him.

Sam Flanders another exceptional game today for a Sun's team that got flogged by the GWS 31 disposal, 20 Kicks,11Handballs, 9 Clearances, (3 centre clearances,6 stoppage clearances), 458 metres gained, 5 score involvements , 2 goal assists. This against the might of the Giants midfield.

Still unsigned let's put a serious offer his way and use some of our draft collateral to land him? Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Interesting he hasn’t signed yet, likely to go but are we even after him?

Sam Flanders another exceptional game today for a Sun's team that got flogged by the GWS 31 disposal, 20 Kicks,11Handballs, 9 Clearances, (3 centre clearances,6 stoppage clearances), 458 metres gained, 5 score involvements , 2 goal assists. This against the might of the Giants midfield.

Still unsigned let's put a serious offer his way and use some of our draft collateral to land him? Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Exactly what we should do

Would also have a crack at Deven Robertson and Tom Sparrow as mature big bodies so we don’t need to use sloane and keays in mid again

Need to go hard at him

What type of player is he. I know he's prolific, but does he have speed, and a good kick?

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back