Resource 2023 AFL Draft Discussion...

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate, listen to yourself.

"He says 2-3 because he’s talking about trading up, if we do then we take 2. Again it’s bloody obvious."

If we trade up, we'll still HAVE a third pick. We'd have the third list spot to fill.

But he knows they won't want to, so much so that he's saying they wouldn't even fill the left over list spot at the draft!

And you think he is worried that he doesn't have two extra picks?? When he's flagging he wouldn't even use the one he's already got?

We could have made a list spot, but we've already given it to Borlase so we can have extra depth. That's fine - but it's obvious that they don't rate the later end of the draft, because they could have used the spot if there were better players than Borlase available.

They could have said - we've got Burgess, Keane, Butts is healthy, Worrell can play tall, let's finally try Himmelburg back, let's draft someone - ample things they could do if they wanted a spot.

They don't want it. That's incredibly obvious, when Hamish says they may not even use the ones they have!!
Hamish has not said they might not use the ones they already have. He’s not letting pick 20 go unused, if it’s traded up we could take only 2. Surely you understand that?

If we trade up we can still pick up 3 players by trading back in or using a late pick.

So this covers his 2-3 picks scenario.

He also goes on to categorically say we can’t pick up a 4th player as we have no scope even if there’s a slider and we wanted to. He didn’t need to say it but he did, it’s obviously something hes aware of.

Enough anyway, this is the draft thread. It’s clear you’re not listening to what he actually said because you’ve had to acknowledge you were wrong all along.

It’s all factored in when keeping Sloane

Do we want flexibility later in draft or keep sloane , do we want to be in the draft heavy and throughout or just early

They chose Sloane

I would have chose neither Sloane or being in this draft heavy
We kept Sloane before we knew how many list spots, trades or draft picks we would have.

Is 2024 Sloane quality?
Yes ....given whoever we pick after #10 & #14 is no chance of contributing in 2024

If the plan is to play Finals ...then Sloane is more value ....and that's the question you asked

Would have I given Sloane another year ....NO! ....not after Contracting Crouch

Yes ....given whoever we pick after #10 & #14 is no chance of contributing in 2024

If the plan is to play Finals ...then Sloane is more value ....and that's the question you asked

Would have I given Sloane another year ....NO! ....not after Contracting Crouch
You saw Sloanes second half of the year right? Do you call that contributing to help us play finals?

And that’s not what I asked. I asked is 2024 Sloane quality?

We kept Sloane before we knew how many list spots, trades or draft picks we would have.
All part of the planning

And no ..I’m not defending the decision to re-sign Sloane but they plan that stuff a long way out

they haven’t got to draft eve and thought ‘oh we haven’t got many picks or list spots and can’t trade back in to the draft late unfortunately’

They knew it months ago and made their decision then

Including how hard to hit the draft and how much depth the draft had

You saw Sloanes second half of the year right? Do you call that contributing to help us play finals?
He'll contribute more from a depth perspective, than later Draft Picks this year

Have you seen the injury queries on a host of players ? .....Schoenberg, Jones, Taylor ...all with question marks

Hamish has not said they might not use the ones they already have. He’s not letting pick 20 go unused, if it’s traded up we could take only 2. Surely you understand that?

If we trade up we can still pick up 3 players by trading back in or using a late pick.

So this covers his 2-3 picks scenario.

He also goes on to categorically say we can’t pick up a 4th player as we have no scope even if there’s a slider and we wanted to. He didn’t need to say it but he did, it’s obviously something hes aware of.

Enough anyway, this is the draft thread. It’s clear you’re not listening to what he actually said because you’ve had to acknowledge you were wrong all along.
After watching that, I’ve got that sinking feeling we are going to draft Leake.

He'll contribute more from a depth perspective, than later Draft Picks this year

Have you seen the injury queries on a host of players ? .....Schoenberg, Jones, Taylor ...all with question marks
Its not that, he is a road block to the 2nd and 3rd year players - the Nankervises, the Cooke's, the Parnell's etc as while he is there, they are always going to be tempted to play him because experience..that temptation should have been removed. It hasn't and here we are and now debating not having an extra list spot for a slider, rookie or whatever

Its not that, he is a road block to the 2nd and 3rd year players - the Nankervises, the Cooke's, the Parnell's etc as while he is there, they are always going to be tempted to play him because experience..that temptation should have been removed. It hasn't and here we are and now debating not having an extra list spot for a slider, rookie or whatever
Only, if Sloane is played in preference to those blokes .....and we're still to see Sloane's 2024 role

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yep was silly to re-sign, best to bite the bullet and develop new leaders etc if that was main reason

major window is prob 2025 at earliest so would not have worrked as much about depth in terms of what he brings anyway as its not that good on field

I’d seriously prefer a pick in the 50s that never plays a game and is delisted after two years over the very real threat of Sloane retaining his place in our midfield all of next season. I just have absolutely no faith in the club to do the sensible thing when it comes to him. Would love to be proven wrong though

And that’s not what I asked. I asked is 2024 Sloane quality?
Sloane I am certain is aiming for a contract in 2025. :think:

An average year would be enough for him to request for one.

Reckon Melb are tossing up Windsor and Leake, maybe Caddy too

Is Curtin a flight risk or something? No one seems to want him lol
I said yesterday that if North don't pick him, he's a near certainty to go home from whichever club he lands at, mainly due to how many interviews Clarkson has done with him - they seem super keen on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back